Pre-booked excursions: Did you get a Cruise Day Credit?

Wayfairers

This is new and intriguing to me. Is there a site online that you can check your "days"? and also what about the levels for stars?

Have cruised Hawaii, Alaska, South America, and 26-day TA/med on HAL. Somewhere in there they reset the clock so we are only 2*. But we have spent hundreds on ShoreEx and in-room bar setup... even without counting what we paid for our "guests" (both of our moms, on different cruises).

Mariner Day Credits for spending can only total the number of days of your cruise. If your cruise is 15 days, you cannot earn anymore than 15 days spending credit.

That is aside from double days for being in a qualifying Suite.

I have found HAL to be accurate and even generous in awarding the onboard/preorder spending credits to our Mariner account... In fact, they tend to round up to the next credit if your total spending is close to the next multiple of $300.... I have twice received an "extra day" credit when I was close but not exactly at the target multiple.

I would give Mariner Society a call - they are usually very nice to deal with.

Good luck!

I have found HAL to be accurate and even generous in awarding the onboard/preorder spending credits to our Mariner account... In fact, they tend to round up to the next credit if your total spending is close to the next multiple of $300.... I have twice received an "extra day" credit when I was close but not exactly at the target multiple.

Good luck!

I've had the same with rounding up.

JTL:

Thanks for the PDF link! Very interesting!

I do not or have never rec'd E-magazine, the annual cruise planner, recognition pin, collectible gift, or photo of ship.

The reception and brunch "things" are not clear to me if we were ever made aware of them, before this past spring when we were invited to the brunch (although I thought it was a lunch). It was not clear that it was going to be almost everyone on the ship!

It looks like the "Exclusive Welcome Onboard" reception is not particularly exclusive, either!

Now I am aware of what bennies we are due, so thanks for that!

We are 2 points away from being 2-star (have 28 now) and then after our next trip (adding a minimum of 16 pts) we will be 2 points away from 3-star on our 33 day cruise. WHEN do these actually happen....at the beginning of that cruise OR not until after the cruise? Seems like once you are ON THE SHIP you should get the benefits of the entire cruise at that time.

Also, I have looked everywhere for HA restricted items list and dont see one like I do Carnivals. Question: Can I take on an umbrella (folded 5 foot long) for port use only? We will be going to a heavy beach port cruise where some places do not even offer umbrella rentals and I am a skin cancer survivor and want to stay that way...lol)

Always fun reading everyone's comments :D

We are 2 points away from being 2-star (have 28 now) and then after our next trip (adding a minimum of 16 pts) we will be 2 points away from 3-star on our 33 day cruise. WHEN do these actually happen....at the beginning of that cruise OR not until after the cruise? Seems like once you are ON THE SHIP you should get the benefits of the entire cruise at that time.

Also, I have looked everywhere for HA restricted items list and dont see one like I do Carnivals. Question: Can I take on an umbrella (folded 5 foot long) for port use only? We will be going to a heavy beach port cruise where some places do not even offer umbrella rentals and I am a skin cancer survivor and want to stay that way...lol)

Your star benefits begin on the next cruise AFTER you have earned the required points.

JTL:

Thanks for the PDF link! Very interesting!

I do not or have never rec'd E-magazine, the annual cruise planner, recognition pin, collectible gift, or photo of ship.

The reception and brunch "things" are not clear to me if we were ever made aware of them, before this past spring when we were invited to the brunch (although I thought it was a lunch). It was not clear that it was going to be almost everyone on the ship!

It looks like the "Exclusive Welcome Onboard" reception is not particularly exclusive, either!

Now I am aware of what bennies we are due, so thanks for that!

Join the club. I'm a four star and I can't ever remember receiving an annual cruise planner. I might have gotten the emagazine. The collectible gift is a tile. It's super ugly although some people seem to like it. I think you may have to ask for the pic of the ship. Again, No big thrill as I can take a pic of it myself. I'm not sure why you wouldn't know about the brunch. You should get an invite while on the cruise. If you go that's when you receive the tile.

No problem taking an umbrella. Not sure if such a list exists.

No problem taking an umbrella. Not sure if such a list exists.

Thanks for the reply. I have not seen it anywhere but I was concerned about the size, not your typical rain umbrella.

this is what I found on Carnival's website and thought Holland might as well have a list.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2261/~/restricted-items-list

Good luck!

Roughly $25 over the threshold gets you an extra credit we've learned. IE $325 = 2 bonus days, $625 = 3 bonus days, etc.

Roughly $25 over the threshold gets you an extra credit we've learned. IE $325 = 2 bonus days, $625 = 3 bonus days, etc.

That is good information! Wish I had known that earlier. We will be 4* after our next cruise (Jan 2016). But, on our last one we checked the bill on the next to last day and I found I needed to order another bottle of wine to reach $300 so I did....now I'm thinking I should have ordered two bottles so I could get another day!

Thanks for the reply. I have not seen it anywhere but I was concerned about the size, not your typical rain umbrella.

this is what I found on Carnival's website and thought Holland might as well have a list.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2261/~/restricted-items-list

Now you've got me curious. I know you can't bring irons, candles, heating pads but I think that's about it. If there is a list I bet someone will find it.

It has to exist somewhere....we had a fan taken from us several years ago. Apparently that is on the "list". We just needed some background noise to help my husband sleep during my snoring!

Let me know if you, or someone else finds it!! I have not been successful with it at all :rolleyes: I would love seeing their list.

That is good information! Wish I had known that earlier. We will be 4* after our next cruise (Jan 2016). But, on our last one we checked the bill on the next to last day and I found I needed to order another bottle of wine to reach $300 so I did....now I'm thinking I should have ordered two bottles so I could get another day!

We are literally in the same boat! I plan to use a cruise day shortfall to 4* as justification to buy an expensive watch or book two or more great spa days.

Thanks DaveOKC ! It seems silly that you have to wait until AFTER your cruise but I guess it is what it is :D
I think in part it's because they can't calculate your spending bonus days until the end of the cruise, and in many cases that could make the difference of reaching a new level or not.

However, you will get the new lapel pin on the last night of the cruise if you don't need the spending bonus credits to move up. (They used to mail them later.) We started our last cruise at 198 credits and got the 4-star pins on the last night, but our "Mariner Status" on the HAL site didn't change until 3 days after the cruise.

Sounds about right to me. Once we didn't get the extra day when we were $16 over.

It has to exist somewhere....we had a fan taken from us several years ago. Apparently that is on the "list".

KnowBeforeYouGo only says:

For safety reasons, travel irons, steamers, and electric water

heaters/kettles may not be used in your stateroom.

and

As such,

all weapons and dangerous devices are prohibited and may

result in denied boarding. For complete, updated information

regarding travel, please check the official website of the

Transportation Security Administration at tsa.gov.

Please Note: Firearms, explosives, fireworks, other weapons

and knives or sharp blades over four inches long and illegal

drugs of any kind are prohibited without exception.

so apparently your fan was deemed either a weapon, a heating appliance, or a dangerous device! :)

Edited by jtl513

One caveat though: if you pre-pay for excursions for others on the same cruise, they get the spending credit because it's tied to the 'folio' for the cabin, not the credit card of the payer. At least that's the way it worked for me on two different ships four years apart. :)

That was unfortunately our experience as well. We treated our family of 16 to cruises celebrating our 45th and 50th anniversaries. And took only ship tours on the Panama one, and even a few for Alaska.

Ruth

Now you've got me curious. I know you can't bring irons, candles, heating pads but I think that's about it. If there is a list I bet someone will find it.

I'm not so sure about heating pads. At least I've done it and no one said anything. And I haven't seen heating pad on the "don't bring" list in the KBYG.

Did I miss something?