Beverage Packages - Mandatory ??

courteliz

Sailing on Constellation in about 3 weeks. This will be my 10th cruise, third with celebrity.

I was reading lots of reviews recently and everyone is complaining about the beverage packages. Are these mandatory now ? I assume you can still order drinks ala carte. Am I missing something here ? You have to drink way more than me to get your money's worth with even the lowest package and I am cool with that, if that's your thing.

Just want to make sure I can still order a beer or wine and or whatever else I want without signing up for one of these packages. Can someone confirm it still works the way I know it to work.

Sailing on Constellation in about 3 weeks. This will be my 10th cruise, third with celebrity.

I was reading lots of reviews recently and everyone is complaining about the beverage packages. Are these mandatory now ? I assume you can still order drinks ala carte. Am I missing something here ? You have to drink way more than me to get your money's worth with even the lowest package and I am cool with that, if that's your thing.

Just want to make sure I can still order a beer or wine and or whatever else I want without signing up for one of these packages. Can someone confirm it still works the way I know it to work.

I don't think I have seen many complaints regarding the bev packages? As mentioned you can buy one of several packages, or simply pay as you go.

I don't think I have seen many complaints regarding the bev packages? As mentioned you can buy one of several packages, or simply pay as you go.

I think the biggest most frequent complaint relates to lousy slow bar service. Since the majority of guests now have the packages they already have your money and your tips. The harder they make it for you to get a drink by cutting bar staff the better it is for the bottom line.

Edited by SAC69

To the OP, if you are sailing in 3 weeks I'd say you would know whether or not you have a drink package.

All my sailings on Celebrity since Feb of 2013 have included a drink package as a promo perk. Many people are literally in the same boat as me. It is an option, those that don't value the drink package could get OBC or PPG.

A few months ago Celebrity changed the way they package their cruises and for most, but not all of them, you can chose from Big, Better, or Best. Details are on the Celebrity website if you want to know more about it.

The bottom line is that while you have choices on which perk you choose the drink package generally has the most value. Of course if you don't use it then other choices have a better value.

It's not mandatory, but on many cruises choosing the Big option is. So you have to take some promo, most probably do take the drink package, so there you get the perception here that everyone has it.

I find it highly unlikely that the majority of Celebrity cruisers have the packages. Certainly not based on my one experience on Celebrity.

Carnival maybe........

Since Celebrity started offering included alcohol package promotions and then the Big, Better, or Best pricing structure, the majority have been choosing the alcohol package. That his been my experience.

Robert

We were on Millennium for a 14 day cruise Oct/Nov and bar service was generally not a problem. the Elite happy hour was not in the deck 11 forward bar, but we received vouchers and the only bar we could use them without loud music was Cellar Masters. The two wait staff were responsive, but occasionally it took a few minutes to get their attention.

I think the biggest most frequent complaint relates to lousy slow bar service. Since the majority of guests now have the packages they already have your money and your tips. The harder they make it for you to get a drink by cutting bar staff the better it is for the bottom line.

Just off 10 days on the Equinox, no problem with bar service.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

A beverage package is not mandatory.

But in many cases they now require you to book under their Big-Better-Best program, which does require you to pay for at least one of the perks offered under that program.

So for those who are not big consumers of alcoholic or carbonated or sugary foo-foo drinks, it can be worthwhile to take the onboard credit instead of the beverage package.

The onboard credit can cover the cost of gratuities, plus wine with dinner.

From reading this board it may be easy to get the impression that everyone is getting a beverage package. However, for many passengers the regular drinking water on the ship is perfectly fine, as are the free teas (hot and iced), juices, coffee, hot chocolate, lemonade, and fruit punch.

When purchasing some cruises, you get 2 perks if you pick Big (the lowest category), but they will not let you pick 2 onboard credits as your 2 perks.

(At least they did not let us do that.)

Edited by varoo

Just got off the Constellation for a five day cruise. At the time the Classic Beverage package was 25 dollars a day pp. This was in addition to the cruise fare. Took the OBC as the included perk. That's about the cost of two drinks on the ship. I found it beneficial to get the package as part of the promo. Classic worked just fine.

Just got off Reflection and the bar service was excellent. My perception after two cruises with a package is that the bar staff is perfectly happy with the packages and it speeds up the service.

This time we upgraded from the (included in 123Go promo) classic to a premium package and enjoyed the better wines.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

Just got off the Constellation for a five day cruise. At the time the Classic Beverage package was 25 dollars a day pp. This was in addition to the cruise fare. Took the OBC as the included perk. That's about the cost of two drinks on the ship. I found it beneficial to get the package as part of the promo. Classic worked just fine.

WOW!!! Were they running a special onboard the ship for their drink packages? It was recently increased fleetwide to $55 pp per day plus an additional 18% gratuity.

WOW!!! Were they running a special onboard the ship for their drink packages? It was recently increased fleetwide to $55 pp per day plus an additional 18% gratuity.

I have seen some people aboard who try to "share" one beverage package between two people, mostly for specialty coffees, soft drinks, beer, and bottled water. That would bring the price down to around $25 p/p per day. Maybe this is what they were referring to????

I have never found bar service to be a problem and we sail Celebrity 2 to 3 times a year on both M and S class ships. I guess it depends if you want immediate service.

I think maybe under the new pricing, it will be mandatory for you to choose one perk, unless you manage to get a special pricing (resident, senior, military, etc).

I got off the Silhouette a week ago a bar service was really good. Probably one of the best I have had. Service in prior sailings have also been very good (and similar to what you would find at a busy bar at peak times. People should be used to that unless you are one of those people that expect service the second you take a seat?)I don't think larger number of people with packages brings bar service down.