No more fixed dining times in MDR?

DonRobertoSanJuan

I think it depends where you reside.

I'm Australian and Australians are known for not liking the tipping system.

I chose late dining and got it BUT when my Email came through it said no I HAD to choose anytime dining and therefore prepay the gratuities.

This was the same whether I booked through an Australian agent or direct with Celebrity.

My first time on Celebrity. Looking forward to it.:D

I think it depends where you reside.

I'm Australian and Australians are known for not liking the tipping system.

I chose late dining and got it BUT when my Email came through it said no I HAD to choose anytime dining and therefore prepay the gratuities.

This was the same whether I booked through an Australian agent or direct with Celebrity.

My first time on Celebrity. Looking forward to it.:D

Australians are known for not liking the tipping system, but also (IME) known for a sense of fair play. On these ships, the crew depends on the tips to get a decent wage. If you don't tip your fair share, who do you think makes it up for you?

Australians are known for not liking the tipping system, but also (IME) known for a sense of fair play. On these ships, the crew depends on the tips to get a decent wage. If you don't tip your fair share, who do you think makes it up for you?

Yes that is true. The thing I don't like about the tipping system is that most people pay but the same people (of all nationalities) go down and take the tips off for EVERY cruise). Why should you and I be subsidising them? Make it part of the fare so EVERYONE pays the same price.

I don't want a discussion on this as it's been done to death. Just stating my opinion in response. Thanks

Yes that is true. The thing I don't like about the tipping system is that most people pay but the same people (of all nationalities) go down and take the tips off for EVERY cruise). Why should you and I be subsidising them? Make it part of the fare so EVERYONE pays the same price.

I don't want a discussion on this as it's been done to death. Just stating my opinion in response. Thanks

Actually we're in complete agreement. I wish staff were paid directly by the cruise line and no tipping was allowed. But I can't change the system by stiffing the staff, that's all. When DW and I get the chance to visit Australia, I will happily pay the bill and leave it at that!

Actually we're in complete agreement. I wish staff were paid directly by the cruise line and no tipping was allowed. But I can't change the system by stiffing the staff, that's all. When DW and I get the chance to visit Australia, I will happily pay the bill and leave it at that!

And what if you are on a cruise fom/to Australia.

I am convinced that most Aussies who go on a cruise have no idea how staff are pain and simply see hems elves getting it for another $12-$15 a day and feel that it's them being stiffed, after all the lines on advertise the fact hat they are (to the Uatralian system) stiffing the crew.

And what if you are on a cruise fom/to Australia.

I am convinced that most Aussies who go on a cruise have no idea how staff are pain and simply see hems elves getting it for another $12-$15 a day and feel that it's them being stiffed, after all the lines on advertise the fact hat they are (to the Uatralian system) stiffing the crew.

Apparently its okay for employers to stiff the staff and expect patrons to pay their wages via some bizarre ritual called tipping. And even though you should tip according to the level of service you receive it is not okay for you to stiff them.

Understand that? No, neither do I.

When DW and I get the chance to visit Australia, I will happily pay the bill and leave it at that!

We do actually have tipping here but it's a discretionary tip IF the service was good. A few $$ is sufficient and appreciated in restaurants.

Some people leave a tip, some don't. You are not judged either way. I just came back from New York (got used to the tipping). Funny when i got home I bought takeaway pizza. I picked up the pizza, left the money and walked out. The guy started yelling after me "You forgot your 10c". haha!

6 to one, half dozen to another. I'm just not sure why it makes a difference that a "gratuity" is added. Whether the gratuity is added for the cruiser to see, or is just included in a higher booking rate where it's not seen, doesn't matter. One way or the other, the passenger pays.

Apparently its okay for employers to stiff the staff and expect patrons to pay their wages via some bizarre ritual called tipping. And even though you should tip according to the level of service you receive it is not okay for you to stiff them.

Understand that? No, neither do I.

In my case I just booked on 12/26/2015 two Cruises one for Dec 2016 and one for Jan 2018. For the Dec 2016 I was given the option of wait listing for traditional which I took. For the Jan 2018 I was not given an option. So I went to my Celebrity page and there too is not more option to wait list for traditional. Hmmmmmmm!

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X50F using Tapatalk

I think Celebrity is moving away from fixed dining. For a number of reasons. Many cruisers now seem to prefer private seating having not spent cruises where fixed dining was the norm, the growth of speciality restaurants in general but also the concept of different dining tastes/venues whether included in cruise fare or having an additional fee.

With that, there is less seating available for fixed dining and they basically are forcing some to opt for Select dining. My guess is that over time, more seating will be designated Select dining leaving less availability to fixed dining.

A big problem with fixed too, IMHO, is that many who choose fixed, actually book elsewhere during the cruise leaving their remaining tablemates without tablemates at least for one evening, maybe more. I will admit that with the ability to try other restaurants, it seems like a missed opportunity to not try them at least once and with that you create an uneven fixed dining experience for many fixed dining tables. I know we have experienced both sides.

Is it bad? I like both, but realize it is changing and fixed dining availability will decline further IMHO.

The last time I chose Fixed seating was in 2006 on Princess. The dining room was empty on most nights even formal night. We haven't been back to traditional since. We meet more people around the ship on excursions and through the roll call than we did in fixed seating.

6 to one, half dozen to another. I'm just not sure why it makes a difference that a "gratuity" is added. Whether the gratuity is added for the cruiser to see, or is just included in a higher booking rate where it's not seen, doesn't matter. One way or the other, the passenger pays.

Plus if it's part of the fee you are now being taxed on the gratuity. I'm not trying to subsidize the government anymore than I have to.

We looked at a cruise at the end of 2016 and were not given the option for fixed time dining (only select dining). Is Celebrity getting away from fixed time dining in the MDR? Another Celebrity cruise around the same time offered fixed time dining, but only one dining time (6PM). :eek:

It all depends on how well the sailing has been booked.

I too predict "traditional dining" will join "Formal Night" as thing of the past, within a year.

I wouldn't be too sure. Royal tried it with their Dynamic Dining and it fell flat. Now Dynamic Dining is only on Quantum class ships as that's how they were built and cancelled plans on implementing it fleet wide. They have introduced a variation of traditional dining on Quantum class ships called Dynamic Classic, where passengers/wait staff rotate amongst the restaurants for early/late seating. That doesn't mean that Celebrity might not try it but I would suspect they might be hesitant after Royal's experience in trying to do away with traditional dining.

I wouldn't be too sure. Royal tried it with their Dynamic Dining and it fell flat. Now Dynamic Dining is only on Quantum class ships as that's how they were built and cancelled plans on implementing it fleet wide. They have introduced a variation of traditional dining on Quantum class ships called Dynamic Classic, where passengers/wait staff rotate amongst the restaurants for early/late seating. That doesn't mean that Celebrity might not try it but I would suspect they might be hesitant after Royal's experience in trying to do away with traditional dining.

That sounds like a recipe for disaster IMO. The wait staff never get a chance to establish a rhythm. Every night is like the first night of a cruise, when post after post notes that everything was discombobulated. Let the wait staff stay in their station, so "muscle memory" can lead them to the galley and back.

DW and I like fixed seating. Agree of a bit uncomfortable when only 2 of us at a table for 8. The really simple solution is to invite other diners from either your friends or adjacent tables to join you. The waiters truly do not care and are happy if you are as they get better reports. We ask others and share if we will not be eating in the MDR on a specif evening and thus our table is always full.

The opposite issue comes up when you are the outsider at a large table. We then simply ask to be moved to another table. Never had an issue with moving.

That sounds like a recipe for disaster IMO. The wait staff never get a chance to establish a rhythm. Every night is like the first night of a cruise, when post after post notes that everything was discombobulated. Let the wait staff stay in their station, so "muscle memory" can lead them to the galley and back.

I guess I'll find out in April as I have Dynamic Classic on Anthem. My issue is having to find my table every evening in a different restaurant - I believe I'll have the same table number but who knows if it will be in the same general location. :D