Alaska Cruise Question

therealmrbynger

Hey everyone,

Hope you all had a fantastic Christmas! We're taking our first cruise to Alaska this year and have some dumb questions about it:)

First, our cruise departs Vancouver, BC and we were wondering if our Visa debit cards or MasterCard credit cards will work in Vancouver and on the cruise.

Second, do we have to convert our money to Canadian money while we are in Vancouver.

Finally, thank you in advance for answering our questions and if you have any tips for Alaskan cruises feel free to share.

Happy New Year!

Hey everyone,

Hope you all had a fantastic Christmas! We're taking our first cruise to Alaska this year and have some dumb questions about it:)

First, our cruise departs Vancouver, BC and we were wondering if our Visa debit cards or MasterCard credit cards will work in Vancouver and on the cruise.

Second, do we have to convert our money to Canadian money while we are in Vancouver.

Finally, thank you in advance for answering our questions and if you have any tips for Alaskan cruises feel free to share.

Happy New Year!

Your credit/debit cards are welcome wherever you want to use them pretty much worldwide. They are more than happy to take your money, in any form.

We always get local currency, if we're going to be in a different country for any length of time. How long are you actually in Vancouver? Are you planning on staying there - purchasing things - renting a car - taking a tour?

Hey everyone,

First, our cruise departs Vancouver, BC and we were wondering if our Visa debit cards or MasterCard credit cards will work in Vancouver and on the cruise. Most American credit and debit cards will work in Canada amd on board . The most common cards are Visa and MasterCard. Amex , Diners and some similar card aren't readily accepted by smaller vendors.

Second, do we have to convert our money to Canadian money while we are in Vancouver. Because many Americans visit Canada/Vancouver US dollars are accepted. Keep in mind that you'll get change back in Canadian currency not American. We use coins up to the $2 dollars . Pennies are no longer used .

Happy New Year!

Vancouver is a great place to visit . Once you have your dates , book your hotel . Most attractions are within walking distance of the downtown (car not required). try and find a hotel in the downtown not out at the airport or the suburbs.

Taxi's from Vancouver International (YVR) to downtown are fixed rate .

We have traveled in Canada a number of times and always use U.S. $

Be sure to not carry only very large bills as you may get change back in Canadian $.

It is to your advantage to not take many Canadian $ as change, if avoidable, as U.S. is a stronger currency, at the moment.

Good advice given above to call your credit card company a week or so before you travel to tell them you may be using your card in various ports. Tell them the ports you will be visiting. That helps get your card smoothly approved. If you don't call, they could deny the charge thinking it is not a place you have used the card before and it could be fraud.

We have cruised Alaska several times and love it.

You can get a lot of information about Alaska on the Alaska Ports of Call Board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=55

Yes, in Canada you can use your ATM card and credit card.

Using an ATM is a good way to get local currency.

You can use USA currency in some places but best to get Canadian Money.

Yes, notify not only your ATM Card Company but your Credit Card Company. I would take more than one card with you (Credit Card) when you travel just in case one is compromised. Be sure to get one that does not charge a foreign transaction fee.

Keith

Discover card was the only card we could not use in Vancouver. We did not take CN$ for use in Vancouver but we did for our Canadian/New England cruise. Many of the excursion vendors only took cash at par. Since this was in September we would have been paying quite a bit more if we had not gotten CN$ before we left.

Hey everyone,

Happy New Year!

Welcome to cruise critic.

As was mentioned already...go to the Alaska port threads as well as the west coast departure threads. We will be going on our first Alaska cruise as well this spring, also leaving from Vancouver and returning to Seattle. I have found lots of information on those threads. You might also want to consider looking up your Roll Call to see what others sailing with you might be doing.

As far as your currency question, use your credit cards for any large purchase as well as ordinary restaurant, taxis, gas, convenience stores etc. . Typically a lot of people don't use cash for much anymore. You don't say how long you will be spending in Canada and what you might want to be buying. Once you are on the cruise everything will be US$. Unless your trip has another Canadian stop you will only be able to spend the CDN$ in Vancouver. As was said the US$ is worth almost 40% more than CDN$. So I can't imagine anyone complaining if you tipped in US$ for instance. Most hotels or other stores will give you some sort of exchange rate, it might not be as high as you could get at a bank, but you don't need much. If you do think you want to have some CDN$ coming into the country you could change a little at the border if you are driving in, or at the airport if you are flying.

It's really a good problem for you. Considering about a year ago the currencies were about par.

Have a great cruise

Happy holidays to everyone

More about Canadian money :)

We no longer use pennies here, so for CASH transactions the price is rounded up or down to the nearest 5 cents.

We no longer have $1 and $2 bills... sigh.... now we have $1 and $2 coins. Those can't be turned in once you are in the US. You need to gather them together and buy whatever sized Canadian bill you can with them, while you are still in Canada, if you want to re-exchange your Canadian money for US money once you are back in the US.

The $1 coin is all one colour (gold-toned), the $2 coin is two colours (gold- and silver-toned) so you can tell them apart easily.

More about Canadian money :)

We no longer use pennies here, so for CASH transactions the price is rounded up or down to the nearest 5 cents.

We no longer have $1 and $2 bills... sigh.... now we have $1 and $2 coins. Those can't be turned in once you are in the US. You need to gather them together and buy whatever sized Canadian bill you can with them, while you are still in Canada, if you want to re-exchange your Canadian money for US money once you are back in the US.

The $1 coin is all one colour (gold-toned), the $2 coin is two colours (gold- and silver-toned) so you can tell them apart easily.

Most of our bills aren't made of paper . They feel like plastic and are very different from US bills. Each denomination is a different color combination.

Here is a link to the different bills you'll see.

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/banknotes/image-gallery/

Many stores now don't accept $50 American or Canadian bills.

Here is link to Canadian coins . The penny isn't used any more . The half dollar piece isn't used either .

https://www.google.ca/search?q=canadian+coins&tbm=isch&imgil=nTBu8TueKwbiWM%253A%253BJeu9SqshPA4OjM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.piquenewsmagazine.com%25252Fwhistler%25252Froyal-canadian-mint-opening-coin-designs-to-canadian-residents-for-2017%25252FContent%25253Foid%2525253D2642261&source=iu&pf=m&fir=nTBu8TueKwbiWM%253A%252CJeu9SqshPA4OjM%252C_&biw=1421&bih=637&usg=__oeOmhhGJXL3s9fJiXV-yMMlSB7U%3D&ved=0ahUKEwjSkP602fzJAhVU2GMKHRJMA-AQyjcIOg&ei=tzGAVpLZI9SwjwOSmI2ADg#imgrc=nTBu8TueKwbiWM%3A&usg=__oeOmhhGJXL3s9fJiXV-yMMlSB7U%3D

Most of our bills aren't made of paper . They feel like plastic and are very different from US bills. Each denomination is a different color combination.

Here is a link to the different bills you'll see.

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/banknotes/image-gallery/

Many stores now don't accept $50 American or Canadian bills.

Here is link to Canadian coins . The penny isn't used any more . The half dollar piece isn't used either .

https://www.google.ca/search?q=canadian+coins&tbm=isch&imgil=nTBu8TueKwbiWM%253A%253BJeu9SqshPA4OjM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.piquenewsmagazine.com%25252Fwhistler%25252Froyal-canadian-mint-opening-coin-designs-to-canadian-residents-for-2017%25252FContent%25253Foid%2525253D2642261&source=iu&pf=m&fir=nTBu8TueKwbiWM%253A%252CJeu9SqshPA4OjM%252C_&biw=1421&bih=637&usg=__oeOmhhGJXL3s9fJiXV-yMMlSB7U%3D&ved=0ahUKEwjSkP602fzJAhVU2GMKHRJMA-AQyjcIOg&ei=tzGAVpLZI9SwjwOSmI2ADg#imgrc=nTBu8TueKwbiWM%3A&usg=__oeOmhhGJXL3s9fJiXV-yMMlSB7U%3D

I have no idea why you quoted me.

That has not been my experience. I have successfully used 50's and even 100's (when I have them! ha!) in stores and no one has ever turned me down. 50 dollar bills are more commonplace now.

I agree, we have no difficulty using Cdn $50 and Cdn $100 bills in Canada. I have seen some Canadian places not willing to accept US $50s and US $100s, which is probably a good business decision since we in Canada are not familiar enough with US $$s to be able to determine authenticity. :)

I agree, we have no difficulty using Cdn $50 and Cdn $100 bills in Canada. I have seen some Canadian places not willing to accept US $50s and US $100s, which is probably a good business decision since we in Canada are not familiar enough with US $$s to be able to determine authenticity. :)

During my work travels I have seen very few places take $50 or $100 dollar bills . Many stores can't make change for that large a bill. Big groceries stores , department store , some drugstores and most hotels will take them.

Vancouver or similar size cities will take the larger bills.

I usually travel to smaller towns and even deal with smaller stores when I visit Vancouver.

I have no idea why you quoted me.

I wanted to add links for people to see what our bills and coins look like.

I was at a hotel Richmond on time. An American asked for some Canadian bills from the front desk. He got upset because he thought they where giving him play money.

Even US banks and hotels have trouble with our bills.

Edited by Kamloops50

Hey everyone,

Happy New Year!

Check with your bank to see if the cards you are taking levy foreign transaction fees for transactions in Canada. Many banks are now issuing credit cards that do not have foreign transaction fees. This can save you 1-3%. (Note: this is different from the foreign exchange rate used to convert C$ to US$.)