AZ versus Oceania 'R' ships

oliveau

I'm just a little concerned to see the recent bad publicity surrounding food in the MDR. After 4 cruises in 4 years on Journey, I have to say I too have noticed a deterioration.

However, looking at other Fora I notice the same comments about Oceania and Saga.

We are looking at Oceania Nautica for next Christmas/New Year as it's Cape Town based, which would suit us well as we can spend a few weeks with family there after the cruise.

I would be interested in hearing comments from those that have experienced both AZ and Oceania [the 'R' ships] in the last twelve months. On reading comments on the Oceania Forum it rather looks as though satisfaction levels are down following the NCL takeover.

I'm just a little concerned to see the recent bad publicity surrounding food in the MDR. After 4 cruises in 4 years on Journey, I have to say I too have noticed a deterioration.

However, looking at other Fora I notice the same comments about Oceania and Saga.

We are looking at Oceania Nautica for next Christmas/New Year as it's Cape Town based, which would suit us well as we can spend a few weeks with family there after the cruise.

I would be interested in hearing comments from those that have experienced both AZ and Oceania [the 'R' ships] in the last twelve months. On reading comments on the Oceania Forum it rather looks as though satisfaction levels are down following the NCL takeover.

Having sailed on Oceania twice (Riviera) within the last couple of years, we were not at all impressed with the food offerings on Oceania. The only meals we really enjoyed were in the speciality restaurant 'Red Ginger'. The service, staff and atmosphere were excellent. Elsewhere - nothing special. The main restaurant was mediocre - we felt hurried; food pretentious and nothing to get excited about, often not hot enough. The only saving grace were the staterooms. Beautifully appointed. (We had a Concierge cabin on both occasions). It would have to be a ridiculously discounted price to get us on

Oceania again! Just our opinion - others may feel differently.

Now, we're very excited to be on Journey once again end of Jan 2016 after many years absence. We have the most wonderful memories of our cruises with Azamara in the early days and have great expectations. Hope we won't be disappointed.

Rita

Edited by factor30

We have sailed O a number of times...on R & O ships..the most recent this past spring T/A...but not on an R ship. TBH...I think the food on either of their "class" of ships..is very similar..but on the "O" ships...you get many more choices regarding food...because of the many "special" restaurants. But the "buffet" is very "expanded" on the O ships..but I understand that has been added to the "R" ships to include the "grill"...every night lobster, filet, crab etc. TBH...this last AZ cruise food...did not "match up" to O..in any way, shape or form...I used to think it did!!! :(

After our recent T/A on AZ...which you experienced as well...I'm afraid AZ fell behind on my "comparison" with O. I used to think they were "neck and neck"...but...after this last crossing on AZ..not any more. I would suggest you try O...and see what you think...and since I have been on O since the "takeover"...I didn't experience any of "those down aspects"...JMHO! But everyone has their own opinion! Give it a go and see what you think...I don't think you will be disappointed!!! LuAnn

We have sailed O a number of times...on R & O ships..the most recent this past spring T/A...but not on an R ship. TBH...I think the food on either of their "class" of ships..is very similar..but on the "O" ships...you get many more choices regarding food...because of the many "special" restaurants. But the "buffet" is very "expanded" on the O ships..but I understand that has been added to the "R" ships to include the "grill"...every night lobster, filet, crab etc. TBH...this last AZ cruise food...did not "match up" to O..in any way, shape or form...I used to think it did!!! :(

After our recent T/A on AZ...which you experienced as well...I'm afraid AZ fell behind on my "comparison" with O. I used to think they were "neck and neck"...but...after this last crossing on AZ..not any more. I would suggest you try O...and see what you think...and since I have been on O since the "takeover"...I didn't experience any of "those down aspects"...JMHO! But everyone has their own opinion! Give it a go and see what you think...I don't think you will be disappointed!!! LuAnn

Unfortunately, if you visit the Oceania forum, you will see another set of opinions based upon the most recent Riviera T/A and its subsequent Caribbean cruise. Some of the issues surrounded how the ship's crew dealt with a serious Noro outbreak, and others concerned inconsistent food and service.

Perhaps one cruise isn't sufficient to form an informed opinion and one has to consider a number of experiences to decide if it's a singular episode or a broader trend.

Unfortunately, if you visit the Oceania forum, you will see another set of opinions based upon the most recent Riviera T/A and its subsequent Caribbean cruise. Some of the issues surrounded how the ship's crew dealt with a serious Noro outbreak, and others concerned inconsistent food and service.

Perhaps one cruise isn't sufficient to form an informed opinion and one has to consider a number of experiences to decide if it's a singular episode or a broader trend.

NO...I haven't done one cruise on O..we have done many....and I visit the O general board everyday! I mentioned in my post ...about our cruise this past spring on the T/A on Riviera...but that was not my first cruise on O!!!!! LuAnn

LuAnn, I think nordski was referring to your one poor Azamara experience. We didn't talk about it on the cruise, only since and my own experience was much more positive. I didn't notice a downward trend in food quality, although I felt the offerings for the White Night buffet were limited. That may have been something to do with all the sea days we had just had.

Phil

Hi Oliveau,

We last cruised on an Oceania 'R' ship last November - Nautica.

We had a great time, the ship was well maintained and the food in the MDR was very good.

On our last Azamara trip we only ate in the MDR once, once in Windows and the other times were split between Aqualina and Prime C, so it's difficult to draw a comparison.

We cruised on Marina in June and once again we felt the food was very good.

If you are looking for a change from Azamara, Oceania is certainly a good alternative.

LuAnn, I think nordski was referring to your one poor Azamara experience.

Phil

You are, as usual, correct.

I also think it would be unfortunate if readers on the Oceania forum took one T/A cruise which had some issues as indicative.

However, I must accept responsibility and apologize for my failure to communicate clearly.

You are, as usual, correct.

I also think it would be unfortunate if readers on the Oceania forum took one T/A cruise which had some issues as indicative.

However, I must accept responsibility and apologize for my failure to communicate clearly.

I understand now!!! It was MY failure to understand!! ;) I'll try and do better next time, ok??? LuAnn

I understand now!!! It was MY failure to understand!! ;) I'll try and do better next time, ok??? LuAnn

When rereading my post I saw how you would interpret it the way you did, so I will have to try and do better next time as well!

Hope some day to meet you on board. You seem very passionate about your cruise experiences.

All the best!

I truly believe that the recent Noro problem on Oceania's Riviera have skewed substantially the posted opinions. Oceania also is training a lot of new help with the addition of Sirena.

Husband and I only have sailed on Oceania and Azamara and have enjoyed the food on both. We last sailed Quest in September 2013 and return to it this summer. We last sailed Riviera last January and return this February.

Although our first cruises were on Oceania's R ships, husband has fallen in love with the extra specialty restaurants, more space and larger pool on the larger O Oceania ships so not a direct recent comparison. I love the nightly grill choices (steak, lobster, shrimp) in the casual buffet restaurant plus the two extra specialty restaurants; and the smaller Oceania vessels have or are adding these grill choices.

Food is very subjective but in my opinion it is better on Oceania, with more creative choices overall. Azamara choices are a bit more staid IMO. Also, the grill on the pool deck has many more choices, including a grilled filet and lobster sandwich. However, having one's cooked to order breakfast delivered to one's table rather than standing in line waiting for it to be cooked is a big Azamara plus.

I also was a bit taken aback at the atmosphere change among the guests once hard liquor beverages were included rather than just wine and beer; it was a startling change in the 11 months between my first and second Azamara cruises. It will be interesting to see if it remains my perception this coming August. (Oceania does not include any alcoholic beverages.). Remember: just my opinion!

Edited by CintiPam

I also was a bit taken aback at the atmosphere change among the guests once hard liquor beverages were included rather than just wine and beer; it was a startling change in the 11 months between my first and second Azamara cruises.

We've done a dozen Azamara cruises since liquor was included and have never seen an issue with the "atmosphere." It's been a very positive change as far as we're concerned, not having to pull out a room card in order to get a drink.

And, speaking as a native and long-time resident of New England, lobster isn't lobster unless it's Homarus Americanus and it has to be steamed, not grilled. This is almost impossible to find on any cruise ship. Remember: just my opinion.

Edited by marinaro44

We've done a dozen Azamara cruises since liquor was included and have never seen an issue with the "atmosphere." It's been a very positive change as far as we're concerned, not having to pull out a room card in order to get a drink.

And, speaking as a native and long-time resident of New England, lobster isn't lobster unless it's Homarus Americanus and it has to be steamed, not grilled. This is almost impossible to find on any cruise ship. Remember: just my opinion.

As a NJ native, I never would argue with a New Englander's expertise regarding lobster; I certainly have done my share of enjoying them during my annual August week in Maine when I lived in NYC! :D

This particular cruise had an excess of passengers who seemed determined to enjoy the newly-included drinks to such an extent that their enjoyment often reminded me of the college fraternity parties I attended many years ago with far too few volume controls in many of the public areas. I will see for myself this August on my long-anticipated cruise up the Norwegian coast.

I also was a bit taken aback at the atmosphere change among the guests once hard liquor beverages were included rather than just wine and beer; it was a startling change in the 11 months between my first and second Azamara cruises. It will be interesting to see if it remains my perception this coming August. (Oceania does not include any alcoholic beverages.). Remember: just my opinion!

We too noticed that the atmosphere changed once hard liquor was included and have not returned to Azamara after more than 14 cruises.

Our most recent cruise was on the Oceania Riviera. The food was varied, nicely spiced and wonderful. Our dinners in Jacques and Red Ginger were outstanding, the best we've had on a cruise ship, including Seabourn. We would choose to sail with Oceania again to enjoy their great food. (The fact that the Riviera is a beautiful ship doesn't hurt either.)

As a native of the North of England, I'd disagree about lobster - it has to be from the North Sea to be the best tasting lobster- preferably caught off Bridlington, Scarborough to Whitby!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As a native of the North of England, I'd disagree about lobster - it has to be from the North Sea to be the best tasting lobster- preferably caught off Bridlington, Scarborough to Whitby!

Also Homarus (Gammarus in this case) and therefore also real lobster but rarely found in cruise ship main dining rooms, buffets, or pool grills.

Happy New Year to you marinaro44. Speaking as a former Nova Scotian, I could not agree with you more regarding the lobster!

We too noticed that the atmosphere changed once hard liquor was included and have not returned to Azamara after more than 14 cruises.

Our most recent cruise was on the Oceania Riviera. The food was varied, nicely spiced and wonderful. Our dinners in Jacques and Red Ginger were outstanding, the best we've had on a cruise ship, including Seabourn. We would choose to sail with Oceania again to enjoy their great food. (The fact that the Riviera is a beautiful ship doesn't hurt either.)

Thanks, TGG; helps to read that I am not the only one with this impression regarding both atmosphere and food.

Our three cruises since that Quest cruise in 2013 all have been on Riviera, plus a fourth next month, but we long have been looking forward to the Quest's RT Amsterdam Norwegian itinerary this coming August. Oceania's Norwegian itinerary includes several days in Russia and political traveler spouse will no longer travel to Putinland.

The upcoming Spring renovation of the Quest also is a big plus in our return to Quest. Azamara's itineraries are wonderful; therefore, upgraded physical amenities will be much appreciated.

I will see for myself this August on my long-anticipated cruise up the Norwegian coast.

I did that cruise last year up to Nordkapp on Journey and it was one of my very favourites. The scenery was stunning. We went in June with the midnight sun with spectacular views of a sunset that went on and on. Being the size they are Azamara Journey/Quest spend a lot of time inside the fjords rather than having to go out to sea and this made it even better.

I can't say I've noticed any difference in behaviour since the introduction of select alcoholic beverages, certainly not in a negative way. Azamara have a pretty sedate baseline in terms of atmosphere. I've been one of the party animals in Looking Glass late at night. Perhaps that's why I haven't noticed it:o

Phil

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am also from the North of England but I have to agree that Maine Lobster has the edge over any other that we have tried

We have never had good Lobster on any cruise ship

Edited by Bloodaxe

I did that cruise last year up to Nordkapp on Journey and it was one of my very favourites. The scenery was stunning. We went in June with the midnight sun with spectacular views of a sunset that went on and on. Being the size they are Azamara Journey/Quest spend a lot of time inside the fjords rather than having to go out to sea and this made it even better.

Phil

We signed up for this cruise in 2014, and now that it is 2016 the wait finally seems to be getting shorter. Ours is RT Amsterdam, which is such a delightful city. Thanks for further whetting my interest!