New captain kate on summit

mcrcruiser

I'll accept that Celebrity has embraced equality when we get a qualified and competent woman as captain who happens to also be overweight and grumpy.

Or alternatively they make it clear that being attractive, fashionable, friendly and a relentless PR machine is part of the job description for every captain these days.

wow - judgmental at all? Why do posts pick apart everything because she is one of the first "female" anything. If it were a male in a female dominated position, would their weight be an indicator they were picked over other qualified individuals?

I have no idea why weight and competence seem to go hand in hand here. She is a certified, capable captain but because she isn't overweight, you doubt the intentions of the Celebrity.

Of course, and Captain Kate learned from the best, Captain Leo.

Captain Leo was one our favourite captains, he was visible and approachable throughout the cruise. If Captain Kate is continuing his style, I'm sure she'll be great too. :)

Robert

I have no idea why weight and competence seem to go hand in hand here. She is a certified, capable captain but because she isn't overweight, you doubt the intentions of the Celebrity.

They apparently want a woman captain in their own image. Although I wonder about that when it comes to competence. :D

wow - judgmental at all? Why do posts pick apart everything because she is one of the first "female" anything. If it were a male in a female dominated position, would their weight be an indicator they were picked over other qualified individuals?

Let me put it another way.

Based on this one example, Celebrity seem to require a lot more from its female Captains than from the male ones. This makes me doubt their intentions.

Was on the Summit for 2 weeks in December.

My view? a 100% marketing/sales advertisement for Celebrity!

Flounced all around the ship in a tight fitting tailored suit with high heels and necklaces.

Popped up everywhere there was a camera to gain a bit of publicity for the company.

hey, that sounds good to me :D

I am still waiting to hear whether anyone knows if Capt Kate will be the Captain on Summit in February or if Capt Leo will be back...anyone know?

Thanks

Capt. Kate will be on vacation in Feb. The new Master of Summit will be Alexandros Papadopoulos, recently promoted from Staff Captain. He will make an excellent Master!!

Capt. Kate will be on vacation in Feb. The new Master of Summit will be Alexandros Papadopoulos, recently promoted from Staff Captain. He will make an excellent Master!!
Thanks for the info.

Good to know that we here on Cruise Critic will have an opportunity to start a new thread in February to discuss the important qualifications that really matter for a cruise ship captain,

such as his choice of shoes and the tightness of his suit. :D

Thanks Anne, finally someone with the answer to my question! Would've loved to have met Capt Kate, perhaps another time then!

Cathy

Let me put it another way.

Based on this one example, Celebrity seem to require a lot more from its female Captains than from the male ones. This makes me doubt their intentions.

No matter how you're putting it, you're coming across as crass and sexist. I've seen enough of your posts in the past to think you're not really that way, but based on the examples of posts in this thread I would guess otherwise.

It doesn't make a difference what sex Captain McCue is, it only matters if she is capable in doing her job. Period. I SERIOUSLY doubt Celebrity would put someone unqualified in that position just because she was a woman.

No matter how you're putting it, you're coming across as crass and sexist. I've seen enough of your posts in the past to think you're not really that way, but based on the examples of posts in this thread I would guess otherwise.

It doesn't make a difference what sex Captain McCue is, it only matters if she is capable in doing her job. Period. I SERIOUSLY doubt Celebrity would put someone unqualified in that position just because she was a woman.

At no stage have I questioned her qualifications or competence to do the same job as every other captain in the fleet. My issue is with how Celebrity are using her as a marketing tool above and beyond what would be expected of a male captain. This is what I consider to be crass and sexist.

We sailed with Captain Kate on her 1st cruise as Master of the ship. We ran into rough weather and a decision was made to cancel a port. We felt quite confident in her ability. Yes, she was all over the ship and always in uniform, even at the Captains table dinner.

Mary Lou..

You forgot to mention out of Bar Harbor, where she bought a

whole Maine Lobster, for everyone aboard for dinner that night.

Only time I have ever had a whole Maine lobster aboard the ships

we have been on... YUM...:)

I was impressed... ;)

Mary Lou..

You forgot to mention out of Bar Harbor, where she bought a

whole Maine Lobster, for everyone aboard for dinner that night.

Only time I have ever had a whole Maine lobster aboard the ships

we have been on... YUM...:)

I was impressed... ;)

Celebrity also did that on the cruise prior to yours but Capt Leo was the Master in Bar Harbor. :)

Although the announcement was made we'd be limited to only one, at our table, we weren't that restricted. A couple of us got a second one. :p That evening after dinner, our waiter got palmed some cash as a thank you.

Just to clarify,

Capt. Kate will be back onboard the Summit during drydock which is at the end of February.

Interesting, she was already extended and that would mean she only has two months off. Not a nice way to begin. Hope the scheduling settles down for her.

Edited by cruiseacecat

Is Captain Papadopoulos the same person that was Captain on the Regal Empress in the late 1990s?

Is Captain Papadopoulos the same person that was Captain on the Regal Empress in the late 1990s?

Not according to his LinkedIn profile. In the 1990s he was an Apprentice Deck Officer for Karageorgis Lines. Then he was 2nd Officer & Sailor A/B for Efploia Shipping until 1999. He moved to Celebrity in 2000.

Just back from the New Year's Eve cruise on the Summit. I will probably post a longer review (not particularly good), but I was nonetheless going to call out how wonderful Captain Kate was on the cruise. I couldn't care less what her sex is, what I do care about was how she connected with the passengers and her professionalism. She is, in my opinion, one of the most professional and caring captains I have ever encountered. This was my 14th cruise and I have never experienced a captain who was "out and about" as much as Captain Kate. I felt like she attended many of the events and was happy to speak to the passengers and generally set the tone of the cruise. Also, her announcements were interesting, personal and warm. Kudos to Captain Kate and Celebrity!