New captain kate on summit

mcrcruiser

That routine was obviously intended as a joke, the same one that youthful looking Captain Leo uses, with the punch line being

- - For the price you pay, this is the captain you get.

She undoubtedly picked it up from him, having spent several weeks on board the Summit with him while he was in charge before she took over.

Interesting to observe the difference in passenger reaction when it came from a man and when it came from a woman.

The captain's opening toast speech from the theater stage is intended to welcome and entertain the passengers, not to recite a resume of credentials.

I had the impression that the company encourages her to be highly visible throughout the ship and engage in all the PR stuff as it gives them good publicity, having the first American female cruise ship captain.

They certainly had cameras on her throughout the cruise, wherever she went.

Couldn't agree more. Why is it that even in 2016 females are held to a higher standard, not that we can't reach it. :D As I posted earlier, we sailed with Captain Kate on her 1st voyage as Master of the ship and had every confidence in her and her decisions. This was reinforced by dining with her at her 1st Captains table and chatting with her in Michaels Club.

Was on the Summit for 2 weeks in December.

My view? a 100% marketing/sales advertisement for Celebrity!

Flounced all around the ship in a tight fitting tailored suit with high heels and necklaces.

Popped up everywhere there was a camera to gain a bit of publicity for the company.

By the pool at the volleyball

In the Martini bar

In the kids club making paper planes and trains?????????? :rolleyes:

In the shops helping to sell watches and jewellery :rolleyes:

I was expecting here to serve me dinner and turn the bed down by the end of the cruise....... I wonder who actually sailed the ship because it sure was not her.

Wow!!! Did I wake up in 1950 this morning?

This thread is insulting to all women. Captain Kate's job is to get you from port to port in a safe manner. She managed to do that through her education and training.
Getting the ship from port to port in a safe manner is the job of the captain of any ship.

But on cruise ships, typically the captain is additionally expected to schmooze with the passengers. :D

Women love to pick apart other women even more than men do/ very sad.

Loved captain Kate and her strong yet feminine presence as well as her very witty personality. We sailed with her in October and she was nothing less than great.

How come nobody takes the time to pick apart a male captain on these boards??

Wow!!! Did I wake up in 1950 this morning?

I agree.

Posts #3 and #20 on this thread are so rude and uncalled for.

I hope she is the captain for my Summit voyage in Sept 2016.

I would be honored to sail on a ship she is in charge of.

We sailed with Captain Kate on her 1st cruise as Master of the ship. We ran into rough weather and a decision was made to cancel a port. We felt quite confident in her ability. Yes, she was all over the ship and always in uniform, even at the Captains table dinner.

Not to quibble...you may have been on her first FULL cruise as Master of the ship however her first cruise as Master was in the middle of the previous cruise when Capt. Leo disembarked in Quebec City and Captain Kate sailed out of Quebec City for the first time as Master.

IMG_0495_zpse3fqlopk.jpg

Capt Leo & Capt Kate on 9/5/15 Summit cruise

IMG_0470_zpsbi81wg4a.jpg

Capt Kate on early morning Summit power walk. Capt Leo was 1/2 a length ahead in a jog.

To the others, I found Capt Kate approachable and genuine.

I asked her whether an apparent Wonder Woman type pose in a published photo of her on a ship helipad was staged or coincidence. She said it was just that they had been shooting for hours. She said she was tired and running out of patience with the photographer. :) I read her as sincere and unpretentious.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

How is this thread an insult to women? What is insulting is how her behavior is viewed through a very different lense then a man's behavior.

To insinuate that Captain Kate is not skilled to run the ship based on what brand shoes she wears is insulting bDo you ever read about what brand of shoes a male Captain wears?

Getting the ship from port to port in a safe manner is the job of the captain of any ship.

But on cruise ships, typically the captain is additionally expected to schmooze with the passengers. :D

Of course, and Captain Kate learned from the best, Captain Leo.

Captain Kate McCue is a graduate of California Maritime Academy and has been a deck officer on cargo ships and passenger ships (Disney and Royal Caribbean) before becoming Captain of Celebrity Summit.

I met her on the repo cruise in October and was impressed by her. I'm disappointed in the jealous comments made by some women on this thread.

I'll accept that Celebrity has embraced equality when we get a qualified and competent woman as captain who happens to also be overweight and grumpy.

Or alternatively they make it clear that being attractive, fashionable, friendly and a relentless PR machine is part of the job description for every captain these days.

Capt. Leo is currently on the Equinox. He was with us in November - and what a pleasant person! "The voice from above". :) I don't think Capt. Kate's replacement is currently known, but Capt. Leo will most likely be going on vacation sometime in January.

Does anyone know if Capt. Leo will be taking over the Equinox permanently?

We were on a b2b on the Summit from 11/28 to 12/12.

Capt. Kate, as she wishes to be acknowledged, is from a seafaring family. She has 19 years at sea.

After 40+ cruises I do not hesitate to rank her as our #1 captain, and we've had some very skilled and personable people at the helm from time to time.

The compassionate and thruthful way she handled the tragedy on Tortola on 12/6 was admirable. Even though the excursion was not a ship sponsored tour she and her staff, including Ashley (Captain's Club rep) did everything they could to help the injured and the families of the deceased.

Our family is grateful for another safe sailing but even more grateful to have sailed with a Lady at the Helm.

We were on a b2b on the Summit from 11/28 to 12/12.

Capt. Kate, as she wishes to be acknowledged, is from a seafaring family. She has 19 years at sea.

After 40+ cruises I do not hesitate to rank her as our #1 captain, and we've had some very skilled and personable people at the helm from time to time.

The compassionate and thruthful way she handled the tragedy on Tortola on 12/6 was admirable. Even though the excursion was not a ship sponsored tour she and her staff, including Ashley (Captain's Club rep) did everything they could to help the injured and the families of the deceased.

Our family is grateful for another safe sailing but even more grateful to have sailed with a Lady at the Helm.

Nicely said!

Celebrity has placed Captain Kate ,a women as Captain on Summit .

For those who have met Captain Kate what is your impression ?

I actually find it a bit off putting the way this entire thread was presented. Is this a question about Captain Kate as a captain or, given the explicit pointing out that she is a woman, is this a question about a woman as a captain? I don't recall others pointing out captains as men.

2016 people ... come on. Celebrity ... way to go.

Edited by poffles

It should not make any difference if the Captain is male or female. The only issue should be was she the best person for the new Captains position when it became available. I hope this was the only criteria that Celebrity used for her selection.

When I was working (retired now) I had to fly quite a bit on small chartered aircraft (4-6 passengers). The pilots were a mix of male and female. Whenever I had a choice of crew I always asked for a full female crew as I found they were the best pilots.

I would have full and complete confidence with Captain Kate on the helm knowing her education and experience make her more than qualified to command a cruise ship. Would some of you feel more comfortable with that clown (a male) who ran aground onboard the Costa ship?

I actually find it a bit off putting the way this entire thread was presented. Is this a question about Captain Kate as a captain or, given the explicit pointing out that she is a woman, is this a question about a woman as a captain? I don't recall others pointing out captains as men.

2016 people ... come on. Celebrity ... way to go.

This thread was started simply to get the personal opinions of those who actually sailed with Captain Kate . It was NOT to discuss gender types for a ships Captain ;)

Personally ,all we care is that the Captain be well qualified & is genuinely a nice person to enjoy a conversation :). We personally like the idea that Celebrity Cruises has hired a female Captain ;because it levels the playing field for all future contenders for a Captains position ;)

This thread was started simply to get the personal opinions of those who actually sailed with Captain Kate . It was NOT to discuss gender types for a ships Captain ;)

Glad I understood your OP and stuck to the topic. :D

Now if anyone wants to discuss the qualifications of Captain by the type of undergarments they wear.......Male vs. Female :eek:

Oh back to topic: One of our shipmates reminded me in an email just this morning about Capt Kate's double entendre announcements which we enjoyed very much. Especially when she referred to using the thrusters as we left the dock. I also found she has a good sense of humor about things. She is "the voice in my head."

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Glad I understood your OP and stuck to the topic. :D

Now if anyone wants to discuss the qualifications of Captain by the type of undergarments they wear.......Male vs. Female :eek:

Well we can discuss bathing suit preferences because on the Summit they have the Crew v pax volleyball game. Captain Leo does NOT wear a speedo and that's why he's an awesome captain [emoji12]

Personally ,all we care is that the Captain be well qualified & is genuinely a nice person to enjoy a conversation :). We personally like the idea that Celebrity Cruises has hired a female Captain ;because it levels the playing field for all future contenders for a Captains position ;)[/QUOT

May not have been your intent but the fact that this captain was a woman should not have been mentioned in your question as if to label her. Those that sailed with her would already know she was a woman without this mention. Pointing out her gender definitely pushed it into a discussion about gender.

And this is not meant to be an attack, it's just an observation and will bow out nicely and leave the discussion to carry on. Unsubscribing now.

Edited by poffles

Personally ,all we care is that the Captain be well qualified & is genuinely a nice person to enjoy a conversation :). We personally like the idea that Celebrity Cruises has hired a female Captain ;because it levels the playing field for all future contenders for a Captains position.

Our thoughts exactly.

Who cares if "SHE" jokes about her shoes or "HE" jokes about using SIRI on his cell phone for nautical directions.

We will be sailing with her in May and will not give it a second thought.

bosco

Our thoughts exactly.

Who cares if "SHE" jokes about her shoes or "HE" jokes about using SIRI on his cell phone for nautical directions.

We will be sailing with her in May and will not give it a second thought.

bosco

We are sailing on the Summit 4/9 and 4/16. Hoping Kate will be the captain. Does anyone know her schedule.