What SIZE is wine pour for Glasses of wine?

Morgsmom

Ok, please don't think that this is a crazy question but I am looking at a recent posting of prices for Princess wines by the glass and the associated bottle prices -- it would appear from the way that they are pricing that glasses are 5 ounce pours. Can someone please validate that?

We once had a pour in the dining room of a house wine that was probably only 3 oz or less. The waiter was quite annoyed when I asked that the glass be taken back and that we be given a proper pour.

In my view, a 5 oz pour is that max that you will get unless you are friendly with the bar pourer.

Ok, please don't think that this is a crazy question but I am looking at a recent posting of prices for Princess wines by the glass and the associated bottle prices -- it would appear from the way that they are pricing that glasses are 5 ounce pours. Can someone please validate that?

About a 3 - 5 oz. pour in MDR, if ordered by the glass.

So, just curious, why is that important to you?

Are you concerned what you are paying price per ounce?

And, does the size of the pour affect your enjoyment of the wine?

As you know, you can buy a bottle(s) of wine the first/any night in MDR. They will store it for you, and serve it to you until empty.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

As you know, you can buy a bottle(s) of wine the first/any night in MDR. They will store it for you, and serve it to you until empty.

If I was served a 3 oz. pour I would not be pleased. If I pay for a full pour I expect to receive a full pour. If I pay for a shot of whiskey or a double shot I expect to receive what I paid for.

I paid for a cord of wood a couple of years ago. It stacked to correct height and length but the wood was cut to 18" rather than 24" (the better to fit wood stoves that many people use). This meant that I had received 3/4 of a cord. When I called the guy on it he got pissed and, rather than deliver the rest of the wood, came back, returned my money, and went to the effort of moving the wood from where I had stacked it back into his truck. A cord is a measure of volume and is not "variable". I don't go to the store and buy a gallon of milk that is only 3/4 full.

A 3 oz. pour of wine is pathetic.

If I was served a 3 oz. pour I would not be pleased. If I pay for a full pour I expect to receive a full pour. If I pay for a shot of whiskey or a double shot I expect to receive what I paid for.

I paid for a cord of wood a couple of years ago. It stacked to correct height and length but the wood was cut to 18" rather than 24" (the better to fit wood stoves that many people use). This meant that I had received 3/4 of a cord. When I called the guy on it he got pissed and, rather than deliver the rest of the wood, came back, returned my money, and went to the effort of moving the wood from where I had stacked it back into his truck. A cord is a measure of volume and is not "variable". I don't go to the store and buy a gallon of milk that is only 3/4 full.

Agree.

Did he take the charred pieces as well?

In evaluating whether to buy a bottle, or buy the same wine by the glass, that is a valid question. There is just a little over 25 ounces in a 750 ml bottle of wine. This would work out to be 8 3 ounce pours, or 5 5 ounce pours. Compare the total of the per glass price to the cost of the bottle. We generally buy the bottle and have them hold it for us for another time.

Did he take the charred pieces as well?

Heh... I hadn't burned any. I ended having weights and measures come out and verify that the guy shorted me 1/4 of a cord. He was really pissed. I'm sure he's used to selling short cords all the time. It's a very common scam. 4 feet high and 8 feet long works if and only if the wood is also stacked 4 feet deep. A cord is defined as 128 cubic feet of wood. I stacked it 4' high and 16' long. I didn't mind the wood only being 18" long but I did mind getting 96 cubic feet of wood instead of the 128 cubic feet I paid for.

Heh... I hadn't burned any. I ended having weights and measures come out and verify that the guy shorted me 1/4 of a cord. He was really pissed. I'm sure he's used to selling short cords all the time. It's a very common scam. 4 feet high and 8 feet long works if and only if the wood is also stacked 4 feet deep. A cord is defined as 128 cubic feet of wood. I stacked it 4' high and 16' long. I didn't mind the wood only being 18" long but I did mind getting 96 cubic feet of wood instead of the 128 cubic feet I paid for.

Around here, nine times out of ten, when they say a cord, they mean a pickup load. You have to be careful.

So if you purchased a beer and it was 3/4 full, that would be ok for you?, not me, and that goes for 5 ounce wine as well if I chose to have it by the glass. You should get what you pay for.

Edited by KiwiFunCruiser

I can only speak for what I know about Vines on the Crown - the wine is poured from the bottle, and they have a marked glass (like a high ball glass) standing next to the stemmed wine glass. The tall glass has two marks on it, one for red wine, and one for white wine (which is a different shaped, more narrow glass bowl, so it is a taller pour.)

The menu did say how many ounces, but I can't remember - maybe if someone has a photo of the menu they will be able to see the notation.

The staff was very consistent pouring to the line.

Maddle

Curious.... How is the wined poured into the glass? From the bottle or from a small carafe? Could see being off when poured from a bottle.

Good question?. I have been informed in the past from people in the hospitality industry, that most waiters sommeliers, have been trained to judge by the glass they are pouring including a bar person pouring a beer or such from tap. The bar person may use a carafe, not sure about that.

Edited by KiwiFunCruiser

He probably came and got the wood because he was afraid you would report him to the State of California Weights and Measures. He would have received a hefty fine for not delivering you a full cord.

I'm with you on the wine. DH and I expect to get 4 glasses of wine out of a bottle. During Happy Hour, they just give us the bottle and we only pay for 2 glasses and the other 2 glasses are $1 ea. It's a good deal.

Since we had the drinks package on our last cruise (and will have on our next cruise) it didn't really matter. If they short poured all that meant was that they would have to go and get us another glass of wine when we'd finished the first. ;) :D :D

Ok, to answer the question as to WHY it is important -- I wanted to do the math to determine the value of buying to the bottle. At higher end restaurants (think Mortons, Ruth's Chris, Cap Grille) the pour is 6 ounces. At other restaurants (think Olive Garden) it is 5 ounces. In the case of the first I look for the bottle price to be 4x glass minus $1-$3 (occasionally a few dollars more).

If you review the glass vs bottle price on the Princess menus you will see the same variability in the discount given for the bottle, so I a looking for the best value for my money. They do not appear to apply a pricing formula equally down the wine list (in this case 5 x glass minus $3 for example).

I will not be buying the AIBP - if I were I wouldn't care as much except for the "tick me off factor" if someone short poured me and I had to wait the seemingly interminable wait at dinner for a 2nd glass of wine .... (you know what I'm saying... when they are HAPPY to sell you one glass of wine but then disappear for the 2nd so that you are high & dry by the same your entrée finally appears).

In Europe and most countries there is a "truth in menus" in that restaurants must list their pours on the menu. That way you get what you paid for.

I just got off the Crown where I had ordered a glass of red wine with dinner on 4 different occasions. They use smaller type glasses, but the pours were very consistent and I would say they were at least 5 oz. or slightly more.

Another thing I noted was that the wines by the glass offerings were not very good or exciting. The bottle list had much better selections, but unfortunately DH wasn't in the mood for wine. I kept trying different wines by the glass hoping they would get better. If I were doing it all over again I would have ordered a bottle or two instead.

Having only been on 1 Princess cruise, I cannot comment well on the size of the wine glasses ( cannot remember well). I only ordered wine by the bottle at the time......I seem to remember the size of the wine glasses being OK.

That said, if a 5 oz. pour basically fills the wine glass, one cannot enjoy the wine fully as you cannot swirl the glass to release aromas or evaluate the "legs" of the wine prior to tasting. If you don't believe me, just go to one of the wine tastings offered on the ship/ any ship.....they make a big deal out of it when tasting new wines...

Having only been on 1 Princess cruise, I cannot comment well on the size of the wine glasses ( cannot remember well). I only ordered wine by the bottle at the time......I seem to remember the size of the wine glasses being OK.

That said, if a 5 oz. pour basically fills the wine glass, one cannot enjoy the wine fully as you cannot swirl the glass to release aromas or evaluate the "legs" of the wine prior to tasting. If you don't believe me, just go to one of the wine tastings offered on the ship/ any ship.....they make a big deal out of it when tasting new wines...

You're correct in that a good pour shouldn't fill more than half the glass. That said, if a 5 oz pour fills the glass, then they need to buy bigger glasses not cut back the size of the pour.

BTW, we did one of the wine tastings and I'm still not certain what the "legs" have to do with it. Having the glass large enough to capture the aromas makes sense, but after listening to the discussion of "legs", I'm still uncertain.

Since we had the drinks package on our last cruise (and will have on our next cruise) it didn't really matter. If they short poured all that meant was that they would have to go and get us another glass of wine when we'd finished the first. ;) :D :D

How very true.:D

If I'm paying $7.75 for a glass of wine in those small glasses Princess uses, I expect the wine to hit at least up to the widest part of the bowl or even higher, which may be 5 oz. on a good day. On a pay-per-glass basis, yes, I'm being cheated if the pour is any shorter than that. That article is immaterial; you can't compare restaurants using actual wine glasses to the shot-glass-on-a-stem that Princess calls a wine glass.

The Princess wine glasses are sad BUT you can ask for a real wine glass by Riedel and the waiter will get one from a cabinet at a service station. What a difference!

The glasses they use are by Luigi Bormioli and sell at retail for $19.99 a set of 12 (less when bought in Princess bulk) They are thick glass and suitable for a dishwasher. They are white wine shaped. Best not to swish your wine around the glass as it will splash the person next to you. They also have Vinturi aerators in Crown Grill but when I asked for one in the Emerald MDR I was met with a blank stare.

If you buy a bottle of wine you can pour all you want. I always buy a bottle of red and a bottle of white on day 1 and ask for the Riedels.

Norris

The Princess wine glasses are sad BUT you can ask for a real wine glass by Riedel and the waiter will get one from a cabinet at a service station. What a difference!

The glasses they use are by Luigi Bormioli and sell at retail for $19.99 a set of 12 (less when bought in Princess bulk) They are thick glass and suitable for a dishwasher. They are white wine shaped. Best not to swish your wine around the glass as it will splash the person next to you. They also have Vinturi aerators in Crown Grill but when I asked for one in the Emerald MDR I was met with a blank stare.

If you buy a bottle of wine you can pour all you want. I always buy a bottle of red and a bottle of white on day 1 and ask for the Riedels.

Norris

Great info, thanks.

Legs basically indicate the alcohol level. I don't normally drink white wine and detest being served red wine in a white wine glass.

If I want to drink wine on Princess I'm far more likely to get it at Vines. If I want wine with dinner I will ask for a decent glass - not a white wine glass. Serving red wine in that type of glass lacks any semblance of class.

No, I am not a wine snob. I am, however, a beer snob. :)