Deals to stay on ship for next cruise

gaylemh

If there were a lot of empty cabins, or if there were weather related reasons that booked passengers couldn't make the next sailing, have they ever offered the cabins to those already onboard at big discounts?

If there were a lot of empty cabins, or if there were weather related reasons that booked passengers couldn't make the next sailing, have they ever offered the cabins to those already onboard at big discounts?

That did happen on one of my cruises on Mariner years ago.

There was a lady who cruised a LOT. Her name was Grace, if anyone knows about her.

The night before we were to disembark, she mentioned that she had been made an offer to stay on the ship for the next sailing, at a very good rate. However, she had other engagements, and couldn't stay on.

This is the only time I have heard about it, but as she was a very frequent traveler, I imagine that was why she got the offer.

I would have grabbed it if I could........;)

Never happened to us even after 35+ cruises but I'd love it if they did. We do b2b after b2b each Jan/Feb but no one has ever offered a "deal."

Pretty rare that there are any cabins left and weather related cancellations wouldn't be until day of

Feb 2013 we were on the Explorer and came home to a huge blizzard in the northeast. Could have stayed on the ship for almost nothing, since many people could not get to the ship.

Edited by Kik35

Back in the old days when the ships weren't so full it was a possibility. I once (don't remember when, but early 2000's) was at the Loyalty desk and simply asked about the next cruise and there was some good deals being offered to stay on board. But unfortunately I couldn't talk my wife into it due to other commitments... oh yeah.... work was a factor too. :)

I've heard of several times where people can't get to and from ships (severe weather somewhere, a giant cloud of volcanic ash coming across Europe from Iceland, for example) that deals have been struck. I suspect if you can't leave, and those scheduled to come take your spot can't get on, they try and work something out. This may vary based on where the ship is sailing in and out of too, as in the US at least, a ship has to have a complete manifest to the Coast Guard a couple days before sailing.

This may vary based on where the ship is sailing in and out of too, as in the US at least, a ship has to have a complete manifest to the Coast Guard a couple days before sailing.

Actually it's just the day before sailing, between 12 noon and 3 pm, that the bookings are closed. We have booked one ship the day before sailing at 12 noon and on another occasion we wanted to stay onboard for the next cruise and went to the Future Cruise Consultant at 4 pm, the day before, and were told they had just closed the manifest one hour earlier.

Never heard of that either.

I think, and I will be the first to admit my memory is questionable, this might have happened on some cruises where the ships return was delayed. The one that comes to mind was the 2015 Buckeye Cruise for Cancer last winter. It sat outside of Tampa for something like 2 days, so some of the people who were scheduled for the next cruise canceled.

Many of the people on that cruise were from my area and I thought I heard/read, some stayed on.

Edited by BillOh

Once, a long time ago, on our first cruise on HAL we were offered a second week free......we were such neophytes and so dumb that we turned it down.....figured we'd plan for it "next time"! It's now 22 years later and we're still waiting for "next time".....[emoji15]

Once, a long time ago, on our first cruise on HAL we were offered a second week free......we were such neophytes and so dumb that we turned it down.....figured we'd plan for it "next time"! It's now 22 years later and we're still waiting for "next time".....[emoji15]

Wow! Previously I would have had to turn it down for work reasons, but if I could work it out with the airline and not have to pay some ridiculous air far, I'd probably call the boss at home and tell him I'm going to be a little longer. I've only driven to one cruise in Tampa, I would have done it on that one.

Feb 2013 we were on the Explorer and came home to a huge blizzard in the northeast. Could have stayed on the ship for almost nothing, since many people could not get to the ship.

This is exactly what I was thinking. So it does happen. I just started sailing in the winter from NJ, and was thinking how I would get home if there was a bad snow storm, and roads were closed when we got home. I would gladly leave my car and stay on the ship for another sailing.

Did many people stay?

Actually this would be a good idea for Royal to follow through on.

With their current policy of not wanting to discount cabins last minute to fill the ship if they did still have cabins available they could sell them at a reduced rate to those already on board. This would still give them the opportunity to fill the ship (and possibly generate more on board revenue) while not publicly reducing the price that they are charging.

This is exactly what I was thinking. So it does happen. I just started sailing in the winter from NJ, and was thinking how I would get home if there was a bad snow storm, and roads were closed when we got home. I would gladly leave my car and stay on the ship for another sailing.

Did many people stay?

Don't think that many stayed. Unfortunately we couldn't, had to get home. Got home on the Academy bus. They drove on an unplowed I-95, really great service. From what I understand Royal just cancelled their contract with them.:mad: Thinking of going out of Bayonne next Jan, have to find other arrangements.:rolleyes:

When hurricane Katrina hit Miami in 2005, I was living there and the Fascination had to stay at sea an extra day, triggering massive cancellations for the next cruise. I received a phone call from my PVP that morning asking if I'd be interested in taking a reduced 2 night cruise to Nassau for $49pp, best cabin available departing that afternoon which we took (heck yeah we took it!). From what I understand, several passengers on the previous sailing stayed onboard (some kinda forced because there were no hotels or flights available in Miami for days because of the hurricane that had just hit).

Edited by Tapi

Our first Royal Caribbean cruise was in April of 2002 on the Radiance. We had booked our first ever balcony. When we checked in we were told our cabin had changed because we had been upgraded to a Grand Suite. That was back before I knew to check for price reductions and this was soon after 9/11. I now assume that the prices had probably dropped significantly and we probably had paid for the GS. Anyway the cruise was from San Juan to San Diego and the ship was going to Hawaii from San Diego. We could have stayed in the same cabin for that cruise for $500.00. Unfortunately DH had to go to back to work so we couldn't take advantage and of course an offer like that never came our way again.

I think, and I will be the first to admit my memory is questionable, this might have happened on some cruises where the ships return was delayed. The one that comes to mind was the 2015 Buckeye Cruise for Cancer last winter. It sat outside of Tampa for something like 2 days, so some of the people who were scheduled for the next cruise canceled.

Many of the people on that cruise were from my area and I thought I heard/read, some stayed on.

My sister and brother-in-law were on that cruise (and the one in 2014, and are scheduled for the 2016 one next month, which is on the Navigator from FLL -- they're hooked!).

They were supposed to dock Monday morning, and didn't get in until Tuesday night. RC actually ended up canceling the next cruise. I think they offered those passengers a full refund (duh) plus a generous discount on a future cruise.