Is Istanbul Safe?

RJB

Just reading the terrible news from Istanbul. Should we still be going there? This is the major tourist area in the whole city. Mostly tourists who were killed and hurt. Just don't know anymore where to go or not. :confused:

I don't know what to say. Fortunately for us, we don't have Istanbul on our radar in the near future so we don't have such a decision to make.

But it's unnerving to realize that this bombing took place only a few blocks from the hotel where we have stayed on our last two visits and in a plaza that we have often walked through.

Scary indeed.

Mura

I don't know what to say. Fortunately for us, we don't have Istanbul on our radar in the near future so we don't have such a decision to make.

But it's unnerving to realize that this bombing took place only a few blocks from the hotel where we have stayed on our last two visits and in a plaza that we have often walked through.

Scary indeed.

Mura

Same with us. We were looking at a few things that either begin or end there and now are having second thoughts. We have been there and walked thru some of the streets and the plaza that you are talking about. Really beautiful and historic. I guess we will look elsewhere. Just on don't know anymore where to go. A crazy world.

We were quite concerned after reading today's news. While there had been incidents prior to our September cruise, the problems were not in tourist areas and we did not experience any discomfort when we were there - things were quite normal. I'm sure that Oceania is on top of this and will switch itineraries if there is any safety concerns for their passengers, crew or ships.

Is Paris safe? Can we attend a concert there? Is London safe? Can we travel by tube? Is Colorado safe? Can we go to a movie? Is Connecticut safe? Can our kids go to school? Is New York City safe? Can we work in, or visit, a skyscraper?

How can we, or anyone, predict or guarantee whether a place is safe? Police and intelligence agencies do their best to protect us, but any idiot with a bomb vest or an AK-47 and an agenda can make anyplace in the world unsafe at any time without warning.

The odds of being killed in a terrorist attack are tiny compared to those of being killed in a traffic accident right here in the good ol' USofA.

If we are going to stop traveling just because of events like this, then we might as well never step outside our front doors. Of course, then we would need to consider the earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, gas leaks, burglars and roving bands of marauders dressed in black that will kill us right in the comfort and privacy of our own homes.

If you -- not the OP specifically, but anyone on this forum -- aren't gonna use that ticket to (wherever), I'll be happy to go in your place. What time is happy hour?

I had to go to Paris a week after the terrorist attacks because I had a business commitment. I didn't want to go but did, and it was fine (with LOTS of security there.) I've also been on cruises to Acapulco and Jamaica were we didn't feel safe and simply didn't get off the boat.

Unfortunately more and more places are getting dangerous. I would do your best to screen these out before booking, but if you find yourself on a cruise to one of these locations either stay on the ship or very close to it.

It used to be that tourists were safe, because even the drug lords realized that they supported the local economy, but terrorists are a different breed. As their name implies they cause terror, and hitting tourist destinations is a great way to cause terror.

In any case, don't ever feel pushed into going where you don't feel safe. You can always stay on the ship.

Edited by ano

Is Paris safe? Can we attend a concert there? Is London safe? Can we travel by tube? Is Colorado safe? Can we go to a movie? Is Connecticut safe? Can our kids go to school? Is New York City safe? Can we work in, or visit, a skyscraper?

How can we, or anyone, predict or guarantee whether a place is safe? Police and intelligence agencies do their best to protect us, but any idiot with a bomb vest or an AK-47 and an agenda can make anyplace in the world unsafe at any time without warning.

The odds of being killed in a terrorist attack are tiny compared to those of being killed in a traffic accident right here in the good ol' USofA.

If we are going to stop traveling just because of events like this, then we might as well never step outside our front doors. Of course, then we would need to consider the earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, gas leaks, burglars and roving bands of marauders dressed in black that will kill us right in the comfort and privacy of our own homes.

If you -- not the OP specifically, but anyone on this forum -- aren't gonna use that ticket to (wherever), I'll be happy to go in your place. What time is happy hour?

All well and good, but a reasonable person thinks twice before going to an area where tourists are being singled out.

Sounds good, BUT, you are safe until you aren't. Some places are safer than others. Why travel to a place that you know is not a very safe place now? I would take my chances in the good old USA rather than Istanbul or some other places that we know could put us in danger. We all make our own choices and I know what mine will be.

I'm sure that Oceania is on top of this and will switch itineraries if there is any safety concerns for their passengers, crew or ships.

I would caution anyone not to use the cruise company as the sole decision maker is an area is safe. We found ourselves on a cruise that included Acapulco. Several years ago Acapulco had 200+ cruise ships there a year, today its 5 or 6 and we were on one of them. Almost all other cruise lines stopped going there but not NCL. Does just mean NCL travelers are safe there but nobody else? Where do you draw the line?

At the port we didn't go more than a block from the ship, but we heard from many others that did. The stories we heard weren't pretty. No one killed but lots of scared people. Several tours were stopped by armed men and it wasn't always easy to tell if they were the good guys or bad guys. The moral, don't expect the cruise company to protect you. You are on your own once you step off that ship.

Edited by ano

Sounds good, BUT, you are safe until you aren't. Some places are safer than others. Why travel to a place that you know is not a very safe place now? I would take my chances in the good old USA rather than Istanbul or some other places that we know could put us in danger. We all make our own choices and I know what mine will be.

I love to travel so much that I know what my choice will be. Europe is not immune, as seen by the attacks last year. And, for me without a year without a trip to Europe is like a year without sunshine.

Spoken by someone that lives very close to the Detroit DMZ.

I would caution anyone not to use the cruise company as the sole decision maker is an area is safe. We found ourselves on a cruise that included Acapulco. Several years ago Acapulco had 200+ cruise ships there a year, today its 5 or 6 and we were on one of them. Almost all other cruise lines stopped going there but not NCL. Does just mean NCL travelers are safe there but nobody else? Where do you draw the line?

At the port we didn't go more than a block from the ship, but we heard from many others that did. The stories we heard weren't pretty. No one killed but lots of scared people. Several tours were stopped by armed men and it wasn't always easy to tell if they were the good guys or bad guys. The moral, don't expect the cruise company to protect you. You are on your own once you step off that ship.

I think that we are all responsible for ourselves. All you need to do is read the news the last 3 or 4 years to know that Acapulco is not safe. Drug murders etc.. Best place to go for Christmas 20 or 30 years ago but not now. Everything changes and we have to pay attention. Need to change with the times.

As DrHemlock observes, we can't ever know, but always we either can stay in our comfort zone, or step out of it…how far is up to us. We were very sad to hear of the bombing at the Hippodrome this morning, for all the reasons one might imagine. But certainly we are still looking forward to our cruise, culminating in Istanbul in late-April. True, we won't be staying on in this magnificent city this trip, but only because we will be back in 2017. Otherwise, I think Istanbul might even be a safer place as a result of this tragedy, especially in the near-term. You know very well that the Turkish army and police forces will step up to ensure the safest possible environment for tourists and its own citizens.

I think that we are all responsible for ourselves. All you need to do is read the news the last 3 or 4 years to know that Acapulco is not safe. Drug murders etc.. Best place to go for Christmas 20 or 30 years ago but not now. Everything changes and we have to pay attention. Need to change with the times.

Apparently NCL hasn't read that news. Don't think Oceania does either. Last I checked they still went there also.

I happen to agree with Dr. Hemlock. When I made my first answer here I *was* thinking of Paris although I didn't say so. If you aren't safe in Paris or New York or London, where can you be absolutely sure?

These days you cannot.

That won't stop me from traveling but yes, I'll think twice about where I spend a lot of time. I watched the Towers come down from the Brooklyn Promenade on 9/11. We never expected that would happen either! But it didn't make New Yorkers fearful. More careful, yes.

In May 2002 we were in France on our own and a concierge at a small museum in Montpellier asked us if we were afraid, and I told him we were not.

It's too easy for a terrorist who is wired up to commit suicide in the middle of a crowd. No authorities can protect us absolutely. If you are too afraid to go to a place where something has happened, then we can't go anywhere. I for one do not want to live my life that way.

(Yes, we're careful about where we go, with whom, and are thankful that we don't have fancy watches on our wrist! I do take my camera, but it isn't a Hasselbad.)

Mura

Apparently NCL hasn't read that news. Don't think Oceania does either. Last I checked they still went there also.

Maybe they have not read the news today, or not have time to react to it.

No place is safe Paris was safe until the bombing. Tucson was safe until gabby Giffords was shot. San Bernardino was safe until the two lunatics killed all those people.

We just go everywhere because you don't know where the next unsafe place will be

No place is safe Paris was safe until the bombing. Tucson was safe until gabby Giffords was shot. San Bernardino was safe until the two lunatics killed all those people.

We just go everywhere because you don't know where the next unsafe place will be

Very right, but I will go where the odds are better. A 30 point bet vs. a 3 point one. The underdog will win once in a while, but not often. When traveling I do not want to be the underdog. No sure thing, but some places more sure than others.

We were just in Istanbul, but were well aware that fighting was only 600 miles away. We knew we were on the edge. Just like when we went to Russia and a week after they bombed the subway where we had just been. Right now a person has to roll the dice and go where they really want to take the chance. Unfortunately these unfortunate acts are being carried out everywhere. No one knows where the next will be. Going where there is less chance is better than going where there is more chance or on the edge...that is just my opinion. We are still traveling, but concentrating on really small places. Not as much press.

According to the U.S. State Department, the number of U.S. citizens killed overseas as a result of incidents of terrorism from 2001 to 2013 was 350.

In addition, we compiled all terrorism incidents inside the U.S. and found that between 2001 and 2013, there were 3,030 people killed in domestic acts of terrorism.* This brings the total to 3,380.

Canada has fewer terrorist attacks, we don't carry guns, we have some beautiful scenery and our dollar is dirt cheap for you:D

We were in Acapulco recently on Regatta. The port lecturer cautioned us, but we walked everywhere. Police and military everywhere. Never felt threatened or unsafe.

Sign up for the STEP program with the US Department of State. They will indicate where it is not safe and where it is. We did before we went to Egypt last November. the STEP web message was to avoid Sinai, we stayed in Cairo and cruised the Nile, flew to Abu Simbel and Luxor. We felt as comfortable as we do walking in the streets of NYC. BTW all the tourist sites were not crowded with huge numbers. The lines were manageable the traffic was interesting.

Odds? With all the chaos and uncertainty in today's world the best you can do is make a guess.

In a sad way, Istanbul likely will be a lot safer from now on. The Turks are very keen that tourism is a money maker and security will likely be stepped up to prevent any future incidents.