Why Brisbane is crucial to the future of Australian cruising

The proposed site near the so called QM2 lookout at Luggage Point already has a deepwater jetty previously used by large import crude tankers.

Since BP shut their Bulwer Island refinery last year it is no longer required & could easily be turned into a concrete wharf to handle the largest cruise ships.

Unfortunately it is right next to the north Brisbane Sewage Works.

I believe that the Bulwer Island facility is still being used as a depot for imported jet fuel.

Can you imagine the complaints from passengers over the smell of the sewage works! :eek:

I could not agree more, the current set up at Hamilton is awful

Crush into everyone with your case who are queuing outside to join the next 2 queues

If there is any delay then sit on the concrete outside with no refreshment areas

Hopefully there will be a new terminal soon

Hopefully there will be a new terminal soon

Yes and not in Brisbane, having lived here for the last 35 yrs Brisbane is not a exactly a desired port of call... more power to the Gold Coast mega terminal i say ... a destination not just a port :)

It is time Brisbane (and Qld Government) took matters in hand and built a decent port that all ships could stop at. And provide ferry terminal/shuttles close by. The current situation is totally ridiculous.

..... and the money comes from..... where?

Hell the State Government couldn't even bail Clive Palmer's company out of the poo! :eek::eek::D

Seriously though, State Government investment isn't gonna happen anytime soon. Not with regional Qld holding the balance of power in Parliament.

Latest news on this is that it is going to be fast-tracked for approval later this month. Port of Brisbane has submitted a “market-led proposal” to the Government for the project, which could see a new terminal funded by Carnival and Royal Caribbean within three years.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/government-set-to-approve-port-of-brisbane-plan-for-cruise-ship-terminal-at-luggage-point/news-story/e581aa0a2c729f09a935a210b4a662dd

And once the Cruise Lines have lobbied for a new port terminal at Brisbane they move on and will turn to somewhere else, eg Adelaide, and say this location is the most important growth area in Australian tourism. It really is all about lobbying and not necessarily reality.

You actually think that Cruise Lines have nothing better to do then to spend time & money, & possibly investing money in the actual facility, just for lobbying , whatever that actually is?

Latest news on this is that it is going to be fast-tracked for approval later this month. Port of Brisbane has submitted a “market-led proposal” to the Government for the project, which could see a new terminal funded by Carnival and Royal Caribbean within three years.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/government-set-to-approve-port-of-brisbane-plan-for-cruise-ship-terminal-at-luggage-point/news-story/e581aa0a2c729f09a935a210b4a662dd

Excellent news, let us hope it gets the approval.:D

BTW, the link only works if you a Courier Mail subscriber.

Edited by MicCanberra

You actually think that Cruise Lines have nothing better to do then to spend time & money, & possibly investing money in the actual facility, just for lobbying , whatever that actually is?

Thats how they work it in the States. At Fort Lauderdale RCCL built there own facility.

Star Cruise have built in KL.

At least that way they can get what they want and make it operational and convenient for both passengers and the ship providors, instead of cow towing to greedy property developers that push the baggage halls to the back and look on the ships as a hassle to be tolerated

A PLANNED $100 million cruise terminal at the mouth of the Brisbane River is set to be fast-tracked by the State Government to deal with an expected cruise boom over the next few years.

Port of Brisbane has submitted a “market-led proposal” to the Government for the project, which could see a new terminal funded by major cruise operators Carnival and Royal Caribbean within three years.

The Government is set to give approval at its first *Cabinet meeting this month on January 25 after being briefed by both Carnival and Royal Caribbean.

The Port of Brisbane last year earmarked land for the terminal near Luggage Point to replace the ad hoc facility now used for large vessels that cannot dock upstream at Hamilton.

The terminal, planned for a 20ha site on the northern side of the Brisbane River, will be able to cater for supersized liners, such as the 345m Queen Mary 2.

Australia’s $3.2 billion cruise industry is increasingly domina*ted by super vessels, which can cater for up to 3000 passengers.

To Highflyer,

Thanks for posting the information. I hope the terminal goes ahead. :) Even if the facility itself (terminal and wharf etc) are funded by the cruiseline, there will be additional costs in roadworks and sewerage and water lines to the terminal. Maybe that will be paid in part or in whole by the City Council.

Somehow this morning the "Quote" part of my responses isn't working.:(

Maybe the dis-used Pinkemba train line could be refurbished and extended to the new terminal. Or, the site near the old Pinkemba train station could be used to build a new terminal. It's on the correct side of the Gateway bridges and a little in and away from the sewage works.

I couldn't access the newspaper article referenced, because I am not a paid subscriber. Is there any chance you could 'cut and paste' the main bit of the article?

These sorts of links can usually be accessed from Google.

Copy the title of the article from inside the link, into Google and then click on the top search item to go to the article.

Maybe the dis-used Pinkemba train line could be refurbished and extended to the new terminal. Or, the site near the old Pinkemba train station could be used to build a new terminal. It's on the correct side of the Gateway bridges and a little in and away from the sewage works.

I don't know how wide the river is there but it is probably a lot wider than at Portside. Where the Grain Terminal is, the river is very wide and even the largest cruise ships could turn easily.

Edited by Aus Traveller

A PLANNED $100 million cruise terminal at the mouth of the Brisbane River is set to be fast-tracked by the State Government to deal with an expected cruise boom over the next few years.

Port of Brisbane has submitted a “market-led proposal” to the Government for the project, which could see a new terminal funded by major cruise operators Carnival and Royal Caribbean within three years.

The Government is set to give approval at its first *Cabinet meeting this month on January 25 after being briefed by both Carnival and Royal Caribbean.

The Port of Brisbane last year earmarked land for the terminal near Luggage Point to replace the ad hoc facility now used for large vessels that cannot dock upstream at Hamilton.

The terminal, planned for a 20ha site on the northern side of the Brisbane River, will be able to cater for supersized liners, such as the 345m Queen Mary 2.

Australia’s $3.2 billion cruise industry is increasingly domina*ted by super vessels, which can cater for up to 3000 passengers.

Thanks for posting the article. This is great news as it shows that not only are they willing to invest in the improvement of the facilities for the cruise industry but also that they plan to be around for many years to come.:D

Thanks for posting the article. This is great news as it shows that not only are they willing to invest in the improvement of the facilities for the cruise industry but also that they plan to be around for many years to come.:D

However apart from making the land available "they" don't appear to be making any investment. The development of the terminal is funded by the cruise lines themselves.

However apart from making the land available "they" don't appear to be making any investment. The development of the terminal is funded by the cruise lines themselves.

I had meant that the cruise lines were making the investment, which means they will be here for some time to take advantage of that investment.:D

I had meant that the cruise lines were making the investment, which means they will be here for some time to take advantage of that investment.:D

I am sure they are going to be here. As we have heard before, Australia is the fastest-growing cruise market and we have seen that they can keep cruise prices fairly high. All that equals more profit, although some of their costs would be higher when cruising out of Australia. By that I mean a fair bit of food, alcohol, merchandise, even replacement sheets, towels, tablecloths & serviettes, all have to be shipped in. Given our high wages, any shore-based costs would also be higher.

As long as it doesn't end up with each cruise line having a terminal of their own ....Imagine the confusion...Royal Caribbean?...Oh you leave from Luggage Point...

Carnival...?Oh you leave from Grain terminal...P&O? ...Oh you leave from Portside....:D:eek::D:eek:

As long as it doesn't end up with each cruise line having a terminal of their own ....Imagine the confusion...Royal Caribbean?...Oh you leave from Luggage Point...

Carnival...?Oh you leave from Grain terminal...P&O? ...Oh you leave from Portside....:D:eek::D:eek:

In Sydney there are two terminals. If they do build a new terminal, I believe it would be instead of using the Grain Terminal. P&O and the smaller Princess ships may keep using Portside, but the problem there is the extra hour steaming time for the ship up the river then back again when they leave on the next cruise.

Doubt each line would have their own, maybe each company so those owned by RCI one those owned by Carnival another.

I don't have an issue for multiple terminals, Portside for the smaller ships the new terminal for the larger ones.:D

I don't have an issue for multiple terminals, Portside for the smaller ships the new terminal for the larger ones.:D

Two terminals in Hong Kong, Singapore & Sydney and I've never been lost yet despite the fact that I am directionally challenged. I reckon it can work for BNE too.

Edited by JacintaH