Possible snow diversion this week from NY

rsail203

I feel the pain and frustration of those who have waited so long for a vacation only to have the "storm of the century" screw up their plans.

I would love to cruise in the winter.

But, living in the snow belt area of Ohio has over the years taught us to be prepared for bad weather. And stay close to home. Old fashioned I guess.

No one can predict when the weather could get bad when you book a cruise months out................after all look at the warm December we had.

Those vacationers had no worries about the weather.

Anyway. Hoping all get to there vacations and have a great time.

Be safe.

We left at midnight from Central Islip and got to Westchester at 1:30. Not too bad a ride. I got a text at 3am cancelling the flight. I had no plans to go to Stewart, so my choice was a local motel or home. I decided the blizzard wasn't too bad yet, so we drove home. It was pretty slow going, but we were in bed by 5am. I only slept 3 1/2 hours. It was a tough stressful ride, but we tried. If only Jet Blue had cancelled 3 hours earlier, we wouldn't have left the house.

Rich

:(. So very sorry..

Wow! I've been following your whole saga Rich. I'm sorry too! What a stressful way to begin a vacation. When you get on the ship have two pina coladas to celebrate! I second what another poster said it is not 2 hours from Falmouth to Montego Bay. We were there in November. We took a tour from Falmouth to Montego Bay it was probably more like 30-40 minutes travel time.

Lioness, I agree with you about winter cruises, which is why we always schedule a day in advance, but obviously this time one day wasn't enough. Now that my wife is retiring, in the future, we'll always go at least 2 days early.

Next topic, I'm asking you great people, whats a good place to stay overnight in Jamaica. One that's safe and not too expensive, is convenient to the airport and port, and maybe is near a beach. WOW! sound impossible. I'd appreciate any ideas. Thanks in advance.

Rich

After booking 2 years ago mother nature threw a nasty punch with all airports closed :mad: we had to cancel and now try to rebook on Allure or Harmony for later in the year. Had a great price on this booking - won't get that again. Glad I bought insurance! Have fun everyone.

Lioness, I agree with you about winter cruises, which is why we always schedule a day in advance, but obviously this time one day wasn't enough. Now that my wife is retiring, in the future, we'll always go at least 2 days early.

Next topic, I'm asking you great people, whats a good place to stay overnight in Jamaica. One that's safe and not too expensive, is convenient to the airport and port, and maybe is near a beach. WOW! sound impossible. I'd appreciate any ideas. Thanks in advance.

Rich

So sorry to hear. And wow, you sure gave it a try.

Good for you for just moving ahead to get you there. I don't know myself about Jamaica, but best of luck to you. And hopefully you'll get a day or so to enjoy it there. (Not sure when your ship is scheduled to be there)

After booking 2 years ago mother nature threw a nasty punch with all airports closed :mad: we had to cancel and now try to rebook on Allure or Harmony for later in the year. Had a great price on this booking - won't get that again. Glad I bought insurance! Have fun everyone.

Ugh...am so very sorry. I know all the planning and anticipation, and feel awful for you. And yeah, cruise prices have gone so up recently. It's a shame they can't honor the price for next cruise in circumstances like this.

I feel the pain and frustration of those who have waited so long for a vacation only to have the "storm of the century" screw up their plans.

But, living in the snow belt area of Ohio has over the years taught us to be prepared for bad weather. And stay close to home. Old fashioned I guess.

No one can predict when the weather could get bad when you book a cruise months out................after all look at the warm December we had.

Be safe.

We live in SW Ohio, so not the snow belt up by the lake, but we still get dicey winter weather. We frequently travel during Feb/March but know to go in a least a day early and try to get a NS flight or at the least, not a connection through the east coast.

OP - so sorry for the frustration you have had to experience the past two days - good luck!

Rich

glad you are ok but I think before we give you any suggestions you need to get thru to RCCL and also your travel insurance company. They may have places for you to stay especially as many cruisers will be affected by this monster storm.

Be safe.

Sue, you have to live close to us. We are also considered in the snow belt. What county are you in? We are Lake.

I've already talked to RCI and the insurance company, but they have given me no input on where to stay. The insurance company gives me minimal payback for trip interrupt and hotel stay. Otherwise, we're safe at home and waiting for air traffic to clear up.

I'd still like some suggestions for Jamaica. I, also plan to ask on the Jamaica forum.

Rich

I've already talked to RCI and the insurance company, but they have given me no input on where to stay. The insurance company gives me minimal payback for trip interrupt and hotel stay. Otherwise, we're safe at home and waiting for air traffic to clear up.

I'd still like some suggestions for Jamaica. I, also plan to ask on the Jamaica forum.

Rich

Take care Rich and let us know how you make out with your flights.

Just read the whole thread and followed Rich's Saga while listening to the AFC game.

Was so hoping when I came to the end of the posts that u Rich would have been on your way.

Sorry I have no suggestions for Jamaica lodging and it is to bad your insurer is not more helpful in that area.

Good luck.

At least I'm enjoying the football games. Yay Peyton. On the ship we would be eating dinner now and missing the games. We booked the Glistening Waters hotel in Falmouth. This was reasonable and seems nice. The only problem is we have to be at the airport very early for a 6:05 am flight Tuesday. I'll post again after we get on the ship. Thankfully, we booked back to back.

Rich

Rich

Just curious - rsail - what insurance did you purchase? And when you say "minimal payback" - what does that mean?

I know the insurance racket is just that - a racket - but how bad is it? And who sold you the policy?

Safe travels!

At least I'm enjoying the football games. Yay Peyton. On the ship we would be eating dinner now and missing the games. We booked the Glistening Waters hotel in Falmouth. This was reasonable and seems nice. The only problem is we have to be at the airport very early for a 6:05 am flight Tuesday. I'll post again after we get on the ship. Thankfully, we booked back to back.

Rich

Radio posted not western but eastern instead hope you get the message and not go to Jamacia

We're scheduled on Southwest out of Islip at 6:05am tomorrow. We're scheduled to arrive at Montego Bay at 12:45 tomorrow. We've booked the Glistening Waters hotel in Falmouth for tomorrow night and plan to get on the Allure about 11am Wednesday.

I talked to the insurance company several days ago and they told me that they pay $100 towards a hotel and $150 towards delay days. No help for air fares or meals. I just called today and they're sending me a claims form. It will be many weeks before I'll know what is actually covered.

Rich

We're scheduled on Southwest out of Islip at 6:05am tomorrow. We're scheduled to arrive at Montego Bay at 12:45 tomorrow. We've booked the Glistening Waters hotel in Falmouth for tomorrow night and plan to get on the Allure about 11am Wednesday.

I talked to the insurance company several days ago and they told me that they pay $100 towards a hotel and $150 towards delay days. No help for air fares or meals. I just called today and they're sending me a claims form. It will be many weeks before I'll know what is actually covered.

Rich

Here is wishing you good travel vibes Rich. Report back to your travels and let us know that you make it safe and sound.