Moving from Traditional to Select dining

ERLEC

What is your experience with Celebrity Traditional vs Select dining?

I am booked for a cruise on the Eclipse (very far from now) for January 2017. We have selected the traditional dining simply because we got a 300$ onboard credit with the booking so the credit will be used to pay for the gratuities once onboard.

That's the reason why I didn't chose the select dinning (and pay for the gratuities right now).

Will I be able to move to select dining once onboard or at least get a table for two on the traditional dining?

The select dining area is much smaller than the traditional dining area (or at least it was on the three cruises I have done - the last being a couple of years ago).

I suspect you wouldn't be able to rely on making the change on board so, if it is very important to you, I would try and change now.

You may already know this but a lot of the tables for two are very close indeed to other two tops and we have found it awkward to avoid having any conversation with our neighbours.

Because we find talking to others hard in a noisy environment this has caused us some difficulty.

I am booked for a cruise on the Eclipse (very far from now) for January 2017. We have selected the traditional dining simply because we got a 300$ onboard credit with the booking so the credit will be used to pay for the gratuities once onboard.

That's the reason why I didn't chose the select dinning (and pay for the gratuities right now).

Will I be able to move to select dining once onboard or at least get a table for two on the traditional dining?

When we made reservations on the Sillouette for next March, we were assigned the 6:30 seating which is too early for us. How difficult do you thing it will be to change to the 8:30 seating in the MDR, requesting a table-for-two? Automatic gratuities is never an issue with us, as we always tip extra. We were told the MDR was full, which we fail to believe. Thanks all, happy cruisin'.

When we made reservations on the Sillouette for next March, we were assigned the 6:30 seating which is too early for us. How difficult do you thing it will be to change to the 8:30 seating in the MDR, requesting a table-for-two? Automatic gratuities is never an issue with us, as we always tip extra. We were told the MDR was full, which we fail to believe. Thanks all, happy cruisin'.

Part of the reason the MDR is full is because of people like the OP who have every intention of switching to Select but have to wait until they're onboard to prevent pre-paying gratuities. This is a situation created entirely by Celebrity and one they could easily resolve by changing their policies. In general, it should be fairly easy to switch from early to late seating once you're on the ship, though you should keep calling Celebrity about a switch (or let your TA do it). There will be plenty of cancellations between now and the final payment date and slots open up as a result. It may be less easy to get a table for two, though many people report that it usually can be sorted out by the second night of the cruise. Also, we were the only 2 at our table for 8 on several nights of our last cruise.

Edited by bEwAbG

I think it is much more difficult to switch to the select anytime dining schedule after coming on board, once you have chosen a fixed schedule. Switch it now, pay the tips when you pay final payment and forget about it. OP , did you get an inside room? They give gratuities on just about every trip it seems on anything higher than an inside room.

Edited by bananawindnj

OP , did you get an inside room? They give gratuities on just about every trip it seems on anything higher than an inside room.

Since when?

Not under the BBB, unless you select that choice.

Back toward the end of 123GO, they did give lots of all 3 "Perks".

I got 2 perks on the cruise I booked. I have the free drink package and the 300$ on-board credit. There's more advantage to take the OBC rather than the paid gratuities since 300$ is a lot more than what the gratuities cost. I end up having my gratuitites paid from the OBC and I still have about 140$ left on the OBC that can be used for onboard shopping or excursions...

Select is a popular option, and seating is finite.

On a B2B we were at traditional with friends who left after the first cruise.

We wanted to switch to Select for the second leg of the B2B and no way could

our request be accommodated. They were just full.

I'm in the camp of book the time you want, the rest of it will sort itself out.

I got 2 perks on the cruise I booked. I have the free drink package and the 300$ on-board credit. There's more advantage to take the OBC rather than the paid gratuities since 300$ is a lot more than what the gratuities cost. I end up having my gratuitites paid from the OBC and I still have about 140$ left on the OBC that can be used for onboard shopping or excursions...

True for 7 day cruises but not for 14 days

Since when?

Not under the BBB, unless you select that choice.

Back toward the end of 123GO, they did give lots of all 3 "Perks".

This sale has occurred since early last year on and off. Not 365 days/year , but very frequently.

This is for Celebrity, correct?

I don't know what BBB means, but this was offered today again on a site I use.

I got this same deal on next months Eclipse cruise, and next years Eclipse cruise also in February 2017

Be one of the FIRST 500 to

book an OCEANVIEW or higher on virtually any 7 nt. or longer

NEW Celebrity cruise sailing

April 2016 thru April 2017

this week and receive:

- Exclusive Sale rates

PLUS,

You Get ALL THREE when booking this week:

A Classic Beverage Package for TWO

(A value of $ 64.90 per person/per day)

PLUS,

Pre-Paid Gratuities for TWO

(A value of up to $ 16.50 per person/per day)

PLUS,

Up to $300 Shipboard Credit per cabin

(4-11 nt. - $ 200; 12-13 nt. - $ 250; 14+ nt. - $ 300)

You have to believe me, I live on a golf course :D

Edited by bananawindnj

I'm new to Celebrity and this thread got me thinking that maybe I'm confused ... what is "Select" Dining ... you mean the speciality places and not the MDR? Or is there some new thing of Select dining in the MDR that I'm confused about. I figured if I have a seating in the MDR for dinner it would generally be the same table each seating with the same folks more or less.

Regarding moving from fixed to Select the answer is "maybe yes and maybe no." The last time we tried this was about a year ago and we were put on a long waiting list for Select. However, due to some strange circumstances and a very helpful Maitre'd we were able to get into Select on the 2nd night of the cruise. Last month, on the Eclipse, we met 2 couples who tried to switch from late sitting to Select and were unsuccessful because the Maitre'd said that Select was already full.

Hank

I'm new to Celebrity and this thread got me thinking that maybe I'm confused ... what is "Select" Dining ... you mean the speciality places and not the MDR? Or is there some new thing of Select dining in the MDR that I'm confused about. I figured if I have a seating in the MDR for dinner it would generally be the same table each seating with the same folks more or less.

Select is a dining area that was carved out of the MDR. Same food. The difference is you do not have a fixed time to eat and are likely to be at a different table each night. Regular dining is exactly as you describe - fixed table and time.

Prior to two cruises ago, we had done 6 cruises with all but one in traditional (early) dining. We had table mates that were great and very much enjoyed seeing the same people on every cruise.

Then we had two bad experiences in traditional. The first time, we were at a table for 12 and the first night hand six persons (including ourselves) at the table.

The second night four more people showed up, but they were 45 minutes late and didn't fit into the first six, causing the two other original couples to ask for a new table, which we did. We were assigned to a table for 8 with two other couples, which we liked. The second bad experience was the very next cruise, and the people at the table were ok, at least one couple was, but they were not happy and asked to leave and we decided to ask for select dining.

We has done select dining on our second X cruise it worked fairly well, and we frequently ran into the same people, which was good.

On our last cruise, we chose select dining, but got an upgrade to a suite for a modest cost and wound up in Luminae, which was fantastic.

To sum it up, Select dining allows the most flexibility and works well.

If you dine about the same time, you will frequently run into some of the same people, which is great, if you like them.

Traditional dining works well if you have good table mates, but that does not always happen.

another thing, since we are elite, we enjoy the free happy hour and with select, we stay past 6pm and enjoy it more.

• 3 weeks later...
I'll let you know how I fare on the Reflection next weekend, as this is exactly what I hope to do (and for the same reason)!

A report from the 30Jan2016 Reflection Sailing: my sister and I were not able to switch to select dining onboard. To be more precise, the maitre d told us that the wait at 7/7:30pm was so great that he strongly recommended against it. He offered to switch us to 8:30pm, at a shared table. We moved after the second night only after securing a table in the same section, because we really liked our wait staff. We really enjoyed the shared table, where we met lovely couples from Canada and the UK and a solo lady traveler from the UK.

Edited by irishgal1970

Each cruise we have sailed on (Princess, Celebrity & RCI) we have opted for Select Dining as it suits our needs best. Out of the three, our experience with Celebrity was the best.

On the first night, we didn't like our table we were seated at and it put a bit of a downer on things. However, after speaking to the Maitre D', she found us a table we liked (right next to the balcony). The waiters on our table were fantastic, and we asked if it was possible to have that table every night. We were told as long as we turn up in a certain time frame (i believe it was between 7.15-7.45) our table would be free. The exception was a couple of nights we were late, and we were still seated in the same section with the same waiters.

Merta and Kokoh on the Eclipse!

560065_10200488945001128_1377005030_n.jpg?oh=3fee907cbc1ab22d24375fc21a26c96a&oe=5765A8EB

All you can do is upon boarding head to the restaurant where the maître d will be "adjusting table assignments". Time and place will be in your room paperwork. Usually after 1 sometime. Then see what he can do for you. Select is more popular on some cruises than others.

Waits will be longer during peak eating times...6:30 on to 8:00.

The traditional dining area has shrunk by at least a quarter due to walling off a portion for Luminae, the suite dining room.

At least on X ships, once you choose traditional you can't just show up at select/anytime dining when you feel like it. On Princess lots just go back and forth, making for lots of grumbling and longer than necessary lines for the select diners.

Good luck.

Edited by eandj

My understanding is that Celebrity has changed the requirement of pre-payment of gratuities for Select Dining very recently.

It definitely depends on availability. Just yesterday, we changed one of our cruise dining times from late dining to Select (we were less concerned about the gratuity thing, although I was glad to hear it, than just the fact that as we get older 8:30 is awfully late to eat and the early dining time is too early if you like to do a lot on shore).

If you choose Select Dining, you also can reserve times ahead of time online, if they are available. You can look at your schedule in port that day and decide if you want to eat early or late, and pre-book. My understanding is that this is not a 100% guarantee you will get seated immediately, but I would guess it would help. As we have not done this before, anyone with more experience reserving Select Dining times please inform me if I am mistaken.

I understand I'm late to the party, but we've done both, too.

After a few sailings with Traditional, we booked late on Summit and were not given a choice, being assigned to Select. We absolutely did not care for it. We found one waiter we liked, but he was popular and his section was almost always full. We went with another waiter one night, who was awful. Even our favorite waiter - when available - was often so slammed, the service lagged. Not his fault. When your section stays full during the busiest time and you have one table ordering soup while the next table over is waiting for dessert, it can get hectic. I was a waiter back in the day and remember what it was like.

The queue for Select can be an hour during peak times (i.e. 5:30-7:30). If I wanted to wait in line for a table, I'd stay home.

We once again booked late and were stuck with Select. I'm hoping that the glut of specialty restaurants and addition of Blu and Luminae, we'll luck out and get our 6pm Traditional back.

Of course, that's only our opinion. Others' experiences and tastes will certainly differ.

It`s my understanding that Celebrity has eliminated the requirement of pre paid gratuities for select dining.

Absolutely correct so anyone can call before their cruise and book Select dining, tips are no longer required to be prepaid.

Even though there have been press releases on this and the Celebrity Cruises Poster confirmed it on this board, the web site still says you have to pre-pay.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard-celebrity/cruise-restaurants-main-dining#top

Here's a link to the official Celebrity cruises poster mention of this. Post #6

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2309418

Edited by dkjretired

It`s my understanding that Celebrity has eliminated the requirement of pre paid gratuities for select dining.

That's true. You no longer need to go with Traditional Dining just to avoid paying the gratuities up front. :) Now you can pay them in advance IF you want or wait until you're onboard and they'll come out of your OBC.