Anthem menus from 1/3/16 sailing

OP, did you happen to do a review of any of the food that you had on the ship? Would love to hear what the hits and misses were :)

Thank you for doing this!

You're welcome.

I have not posted an actual review but I have put some comments in other threads. Since you asked, however, here is what I wrote about dining in the survey that Royal sent me. I didn't mention it but we did enjoy Wonderland.

The food was, for the most part, disappointing. The Windjammer food looked terrible. That it closed at 9pm nightly is ridiculous and why isn’t it open after 4:30pm so I can run in and get a drink and cookie? It’s terrible that you replaced the free poolside grill with a pay venue (Johnny Rockets). Amusingly, you managed to keep that open longer hours than Windjammer, what a surprise, I’m sure it had nothing to do with the fact that you charge to eat there. We went to the Windjammer for dinner one night and there were no tables available and no management was on the floor helping guests find seating. We finally found a table in a closed-off section, as others did. I liked that I could get freshly cooked salmon there, but the night we went there, someone decide to slice it into one inch slices, which we so thin that the cook had to put them on the griddle on their sides. The Asian food at Silk was terrible. We had some good dishes there, but none of them were particularly Asian. The hibachi steak and shrimp (which wasn’t hibachi and the shrimp were not tempura battered) was excellent, as was the 5-spice lamb chops. The crème brulee was great, but it had none of the lemongrass flavor that the menu said it would have. None of the Asian dishes I cooked were acceptable, both soups were awful, and I tried the duck, cod and Kung Pao Chicken one night and one was worse than the last. The fried shrimp shumai you added to the menu the second time thru the menu were very good. The Grande was disappointing, as was American Icon. I do not understand the lack of vegetarian dishes on your menus. Why does the snapper at American Icon need a ham cream? Why does gnocchi at Chic need bacon? The last night, we ate at Chic. The desserts there were amazing.

I heard a rumor that a team recently boarded to address at least some of these issues...may it be true!

Yes, the top food execs were going to be on the cruise after ours. Some had already gotten on in Barbados during our cruise, I have was told.

• 6 months later...

Has anyone captured the new menus from Anthem? I understand that there are 3 sets now but I haven't seen anything posted (except in one thread where someone posted a tiny version of one of the Grande menus). It's a non-trivial undertaking (I am the OP of this thread so I can talk) but it would really be nice if someone else made an effort to collect them for the benefit of future guests.

That said, I'll be back on board Anthem next week and will make every effort to get screen shots of all of the menus again and will post them here or in a new thread. I wonder what the rotation is on a 9 night cruise. Do they do 3/3/3, or 4/4/1? Either way, you don't get a chance to try each menu.

• 5 months later...
ah so silk, grande, chic and american all have same menu. thanks! that seems to be easy then to pick the one with the shortest line

kind of like MDR /taste/savor on the breakaway

No, that is not how it works. Two of the restaurants are used for traditional dining times and two are used for My Time Dining.

ah so silk, grande, chic and american all have same menu. thanks! that seems to be easy then to pick the one with the shortest line

kind of like MDR /taste/savor on the breakaway

No, that is not how it works. Two of the restaurants are used for traditional dining times and two are used for My Time Dining.

....and you will be assigned.

....and you will be assigned.

Last I had read, American Icon and Silk were for MTD. Do you know if they are still doing one for reservations and the other for walk up? We didn't make any reservations for our upcoming sailing and were going to just "wing it" for a change. We are also going to try Solarium Bistro for dinner. I saw that you posted you were able to just go without a reservation. Do you think that was status related or do you think we will be able to just walk in without a reservation too?

Normally we are pre-planners, but my DH is recovering from surgery, so we are going very slow and easy this cruise.