Canceling cruise due to Zika virus

illiniwahoo

Just off the Equinox. We departed before any warnings were posted for our stops. Once on board there were no warnings announced for passengers departing the ship in infected ports including our overnight stop in StMartin. I saw mosquitos in the shops downtown during the day. I am a senior but I was very disappointed that the Celebrity did not do more to warn the passengers.

Interesting story from a few years ago about malaria cases near European airports involving people who haven't travelled.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2222177.stm

Chances i would say are very very small but nevertheless there is a risk of stowaway mosquito.

I wonder if the cruise lines will start doing what they do sometimes on flights from Asia to Europe and that's actually spray the cabin whilst your sitting there.

Presumably people could also use one of those plug in burners in their cabins that heats up a small cards of mosquito killer?

Very interesting article. Thanks for posting! It is not as much the Zika virus that I am worried about as some of the other ones.

Also, I was wondering the exact same thing about them spraying the ships before returning to an American port. I actually question if this practice has already been in place for a number of years. There is always a day when we are returning to an American port where the hallways smell a bit like insecticide to me. I might just have a sense of smell that deceives me, though.

I have been on planes back from the Caribbean and Mexico a number of years ago and they spray right while you are sitting there. I am sure that can't be too good for us but what is to stop a hitch hiker or two from coming aboard and causing real problems for the agriculture of Florida or California?

On another note, I am also booked on a Princess cruise so scan those boards regularly as well. They are sending out all sorts of notifications to their booked passengers. Again, I would be a lot more worried about other mosquito born illnesses than the Zika virus, seeing that I am way past my child bearing years. Now, if it is proven to be a precursor to Guillain-Barré Syndrome, I might take it a bit more seriously.

Thanks Jean for posting about lack of warnings on Equinox. Since Celebrity has been reading this- let's ask them for a response.

Insect repellents should be available during disembarking at port stops and ideally, added to the beach tote bag in each stateroom.

According to Consumer Reports org the two top rated sprays for two kinds of mosquitoes- Culex and Aedes are:

Sawyer 20% Picaridin- available in a spray pump and lotion. Sawyer is the highest rated because it also repels deer ticks.

Equally effective against mosquitoes is:

Off Deep Woods V111- light green can "dry" formula- 25% DEET.

In the recent Consumer Reports study, they used the "fisherman formula" of Sawyer which I couldn't find locally. I called Sawyer and they said the fisherman name was just a marketing thing and all their Picaridin products are the same 20% Picaridin. The box says "will not harm fishing lines and gear"- I wonder if this was why the original was called "fisherman's." In Consumer Reports some people reported difficulty using the Sawyer pump spray. The Picaridin is meant to be applied directly to skin (?) whereas the Deep Woods appears to be an aerosol and can be applied to the outside of clothing or skin. For clothing, the Sawyer rep recommended a permethrin spray which lasts several months.

All other formulations/brands/chemicals or natural products were less effective according to Consumer Reports.

For cruise passengers traveling from abroad, if you arrive early in US the Off Deep Woods brand is readily available in drugstores, grocery stores etc. Sawyer is often found in outdoor stores such as REI.

Or google UK insect repellents- I think someone tested UK common brands a few years ago.

Previously, the dark green "wet" Deep Woods was one of the highest rated- apparently not tested this year- only the dry formula which is new (?)

Deep Woods also makes DEET towelettes- individually wrapped.

I am sailing with Celebrity this weekend and just got this email from them this evening that says if you are pregnant and concerned to contact them...

Dear Valued Guest,

We are writing to provide important health information regarding the Zika virus.

Celebrity Cruises is committed to the safety and health of our guests and crew. We have been closely monitoring the Zika virus situation and are aware that the CDC has issued a travel alert for certain countries where Zika virus transmission is ongoing.

Should you be pregnant and not feel comfortable sailing to countries affected with the Zika virus, please contact us or your Travel Agent.

In order to reduce the risk of contracting any number of diseases spread by mosquito bite, including Zika virus, we urge guests to take precautions to avoid mosquito bites by remaining in well screened or air conditioned areas when possible, by wearing light-colored clothing that adequately covers the arms and legs, and by applying insect repellant to both skin and clothing.

Should you have any additional questions about the Zika virus, please visit the CDC's website.

We look forward to welcoming you onboard soon.

Sincerely,

Celebrity Cruises

Good luck and congratulations!

I am sailing with Celebrity this weekend and just got this email from them this evening that says if you are pregnant and concerned to contact them...

Dear Valued Guest,

We are writing to provide important health information regarding the Zika virus.

Celebrity Cruises is committed to the safety and health of our guests and crew. We have been closely monitoring the Zika virus situation and are aware that the CDC has issued a travel alert for certain countries where Zika virus transmission is ongoing.

Should you be pregnant and not feel comfortable sailing to countries affected with the Zika virus, please contact us or your Travel Agent.

In order to reduce the risk of contracting any number of diseases spread by mosquito bite, including Zika virus, we urge guests to take precautions to avoid mosquito bites by remaining in well screened or air conditioned areas when possible, by wearing light-colored clothing that adequately covers the arms and legs, and by applying insect repellant to both skin and clothing.

Should you have any additional questions about the Zika virus, please visit the CDC's website.

Sincerely,

Celebrity Cruises

Good luck and congratulations!

Same here.

Plus I got a text message and a recorded phone call all within 5 minutes!

For years we stayed in St. Martin on vacation. We often got mosquito bites at night even wearing repellent and sleeping under netting. When the chicayunga virus hit, we opted not to stay in St. Martin. Cruising was a good alternative. Ship sailed at night when the mosquitoes were out. Now that some ships are overnighting in ports, I fear that the virus from mosquitoes will spred. Perhaps, Celebrity ought to rethink staying overnight in Caribbean ports.

If we're going to expect Celebrity to start providing bug spray as part of the "package" we should require sunscreen too! The risk of skin cancer from sunburn has been clearly established and the amount of exposure in the Caribbean is clearly dangerous. In fact, they really should reconsider their itineraries to reduce risk of sun exposure for guests. :rolleyes:

We can't expect to live in a world of bubble wrap. People should expect companies to take reasonable steps to mitigate risks, and inform customers so they can be responsible for themselves <gasp>. For example, mosquitos can't fly with more than a few mph breeze, so the risk of mosquitos traveling from ship to shore just by "flying" is reasonably reduced. Requiring all ships to tender at every port, and fumigating each tender boat while we all sit in the cloud of insecticide would be unacceptable risk imho. I believe Celebrity has started to proactively inform guests about the Zika outbreak, and is directing them to the CDC website (or at least that's the letter I got from my TA regarding my upcoming Summit/San Juan booking).

If you're concerned about mosquito borne illnesses, carry insect repellant. I for one consider the risk while cruising to be acceptable, and pack repellant for times where I decide on excursions and locations where the risk of exposure becomes unacceptable.

To be blunt, I believe my risk of Hep A exposure on a cruise is higher than my risk of Zika/Dengue/Chikungunya exposure. The number of people I see not washing their hands after using the restroom absolutely positively disgusts me. My "fav" was the guy that came out of using a stall, beelined for the door, and then continued right on into the MDR. The only consolation for me was that it least it wasn't the buffet <sigh>

Coming out on the Virus, like the mosquito is a day lite variety? Never heard of that and even catching it from saliva and other fluids from infected people? I wonder how much they really know about it.

It sure makes a decision tough. Maybe you can change the cruise to a cold weather/area one.

Zika is already in the US, so avoiding the Caribbean will only eliminate your chances of contracting it in the Caribbean.

My understanding is that the people in the US that have it, got it in the Caribbean/South America and came back with it. They were not bitten here. Supposedly not caught from others, so sort of a different situation? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

My understanding is that the people in the US that have it, got it in the Caribbean/South America and came back with it. They were not bitten here. Supposedly not caught from others, so sort of a different situation? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't know where they contracted it, but the US has the vector mosquito species. It's only a matter of time before a carrier and mosquito get together at a backyard BBQ.

Sent via my Samsung Note 4 while I should probably be doing something productive

Do you remember "killer bees"? They migrated north and mixed with the European bees we have had in the US for hundreds of years. The mosquitoes will migrate in exactly the same way. Also all it takes is a few of those nasty buggers on a freighter of a pleasure yacht and they will quickly spread across the US. Thus so will Zika.

The good news is 80% have no symptoms at all and the other 20% only "very mild" symptoms according to the CDC. Thus unless you are pregnant or possibly becoming pregnant it is not an issue. People are panicking over this and looking at slathering themselves in DEET (which has potentially far more serious side effects!) when they should be hopeful they will contract the virus before it mutates and become immune.

Brazil and other countries are suggesting that most of the population will contract Zika in the next few years unless they can eradicate the mosquitoes. The chance of that is ZERO.

The good news is 80% have no symptoms at all and the other 20% only "very mild" symptoms according to the CDC. Thus unless you are pregnant or possibly becoming pregnant it is not an issue. ...

Brazil and other countries are suggesting that most of the population will contract Zika in the next few years unless they can eradicate the mosquitoes. The chance of that is ZERO.

I think we should worry about a virus that affects pregnant women. Countries are advising women against getting pregnant for up to 2 years. This is an issue for everyone.

I think we should worry about a virus that affects pregnant women. Countries are advising women against getting pregnant for up to 2 years. This is an issue for everyone.

???? If you are a woman who is or might become pregnant is certainly is an issue. It appears there is also absolutely nothing we can do as it is supposed to spread to EVERY country in the Americas except Canada and Chile.

Why is it an issue for my wife and self? I am hearing about people in their 50s and 60s - well beyond childbearing - canceling trips to Mexico and the Caribbean! Why? If we get Zika then we are done going forward. It is only a small fraction of the population that can have long term effects. Those effects are bad, but putting DEET - which causes neurological problems and also issues and is restricted by Health Canada as to its use - on your self daily will cause health damage to millions completely unnecessarily.

Why is it an issue for my wife and self? I am hearing about people in their 50s and 60s - well beyond childbearing - canceling trips to Mexico and the Caribbean! ....

You see no issue that there could in theory be a zero birth rate in some countries for several years?

So for those years of low population growth - schools will be empty. Roll forward - no one to join the armed forces, police, to pay tax, or to serve you on a cruise ship.

It is only a small fraction of the population that can have long term effects

Small Fractions when we are talking of populations of countries = big numbers - it is also the families of those affected and the health care people affected will need for the whole lives.

I agree with your comments re Deet, it is a very unpleasant chemical and not to be used without careful consideration.

Edited by DYKWIA

Thanks Jean for posting about lack of warnings on Equinox. Since Celebrity has been reading this- let's ask them for a response.

Insect repellents should be available during disembarking at port stops and ideally, added to the beach tote bag in each stateroom.

According to Consumer Reports org the two top rated sprays for two kinds of mosquitoes- Culex and Aedes are:

Sawyer 20% Picaridin- available in a spray pump and lotion. Sawyer is the highest rated because it also repels deer ticks.

Equally effective against mosquitoes is:

Off Deep Woods V111- light green can "dry" formula- 25% DEET.

In the recent Consumer Reports study, they used the "fisherman formula" of Sawyer which I couldn't find locally. I called Sawyer and they said the fisherman name was just a marketing thing and all their Picaridin products are the same 20% Picaridin. The box says "will not harm fishing lines and gear"- I wonder if this was why the original was called "fisherman's." In Consumer Reports some people reported difficulty using the Sawyer pump spray. The Picaridin is meant to be applied directly to skin (?) whereas the Deep Woods appears to be an aerosol and can be applied to the outside of clothing or skin. For clothing, the Sawyer rep recommended a permethrin spray which lasts several months.

All other formulations/brands/chemicals or natural products were less effective according to Consumer Reports.

For cruise passengers traveling from abroad, if you arrive early in US the Off Deep Woods brand is readily available in drugstores, grocery stores etc. Sawyer is often found in outdoor stores such as REI.

Or google UK insect repellents- I think someone tested UK common brands a few years ago.

Previously, the dark green "wet" Deep Woods was one of the highest rated- apparently not tested this year- only the dry formula which is new (?)

Deep Woods also makes DEET towelettes- individually wrapped.

Ordered Sawyer on Amazon this morning:)

Do my husband and I need to worry about Zika? We are in our early 60's and leaving on a Caribbean cruise next week. We visit a couple of the ports on the list for Zika.

This is why I am worried. Our daughter is 3 months pregnant. Could we bring a virus back and somehow infect her? I thought that only a mosquito bite could transfer the virus, but now after reading that it could be transmitted through sex, I wonder how else it could be transferred.

I am confused about this whole Zika...especially after reading this article today!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/dallas-county-reports-first-us-case-of-zika-virus/ar-BBp261K?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=U142DHP

No you definitely don't need to worry about bringing it back to your pregnant daughter! The only way she could get it is if you had an active case and had direct blood to blood contact. I don't think saliva can transmit it- but you could use caution about that also...Semen in one case did transmit it...

To be super cautious you could wait a few days after your return to see her..

I agree we need to be worry about the future for women getting pregnant and not taking precautions against an infection doesn't seem sensible to me. At this time of year, those of us living in areas without mosquitoes in circulation don't need to worry about infecting others but in other parts of the country with year round mosquitoes, yes, if we get it and mosquitoes bite us and then bite someone else, we will spread it.

From a purely selfish standpoint- we don't know yet if infection confers immunity. Malaria can resurface. I'm more concerned about Chikungunya's long term effects which is apparently endemic in the Caribbean as well.

We are definitely using insect repellent! I plan to spray the exterior of clothes with Deep Woods DEET and will apply Sawyer Picaridin spray and lotion to skin and hair. The Sawyer Picaridin is not easy to find- need to make a trip to an outdoors store.

Thanks for the EPA and other warnings about DEET- I see Picaridin can be safely used by children? I don't know for sure- check with your pediatrician.

No you definitely don't need to worry about bringing it back to your pregnant daughter! The only way she could get it is if you had an active case and had direct blood to blood contact. I don't think saliva can transmit it- but you could use caution about that also...Semen in one case did transmit it...

To be super cautious you could wait a few days after your return to see her..

I agree we need to be worry about the future for women getting pregnant and not taking precautions against an infection doesn't seem sensible to me. At this time of year, those of us living in areas without mosquitoes in circulation don't need to worry about infecting others but in other parts of the country with year round mosquitoes, yes, if we get it and mosquitoes bite us and then bite someone else, we will spread it.

From a purely selfish standpoint- we don't know yet if infection confers immunity. Malaria can resurface. I'm more concerned about Chikungunya's long term effects which is apparently endemic in the Caribbean as well.

We are definitely using insect repellent! I plan to spray the exterior of clothes with Deep Woods DEET and will apply Sawyer Picaridin spray and lotion to skin and hair. The Sawyer Picaridin is not easy to find- need to make a trip to an outdoors store.

Thanks for the EPA and other warnings about DEET- I see Picaridin can be safely used by children? I don't know for sure- check with your pediatrician.

Thank you. That's what I assumed, but...

I went ahead and ordered a spray bottle of Sawyer from Amazon. I don't want to get the Zika or Chikungunya, either. ;)

Edited by Iamthesea

Has anyone received a notice from X about the virus?

someone on our ABC island cruise/Oct, rec'vd e mail from her TA with copy from a Celebrity message.....just wondering if anyone else has...we did not..

I could paste it here but it is secondary sourced...

Has anyone received a notice from X about the virus?

someone on our ABC island cruise/Oct, rec'vd e mail from her TA with copy from a Celebrity message.....just wondering if anyone else has...we did not..

I could paste it here but it is secondary sourced...

We are sailing next week on the Eclipse and I (and most of my fellow cruisers) got this:

Please click here to acknowledge receipt of this message

This is an important message regarding your upcoming cruise.

Dear Valued Guest,

Sincerely,

Celebrity Cruises

What really rubs me the wrong way is that Celebrity has altered our original itinerary to delete Bonaire (with no warnings) and add an overnight in Curacao and midnight departure from Barbados - both of which DO have warnings.

I know they couldn't have foreseen this but it just fits......

We are sailing next week on the Eclipse and I (and most of my fellow cruisers) got this:

Please click here to acknowledge receipt of this message

This is an important message regarding your upcoming cruise.

Dear Valued Guest,

Sincerely,

Celebrity Cruises

What really rubs me the wrong way is that Celebrity has altered our original itinerary to delete Bonaire (with no warnings) and add an overnight in Curacao and midnight departure from Barbados - both of which DO have warnings.

I know they couldn't have foreseen this but it just fits......

Wierd.we heard Curacao has the warning not Bonaire.....wonder what our ABC Island cruise will be in Oct...if too limited in ports we'll cancel...all for safety but Bonaire was the main attraction for us!

Hope you have a great time..even with the changes!

Wonder why the changes. They certainly do not seem to be part of the Zika scare. Let us know please if you find out why. OK?

Sorry if my post was misleading or confusing.

They changed our itinerary, along with a lot of other ones, last fall when they decided to do overnights in the Caribbean.

Overnights had worked well in Europe so some "brilliant" :rolleyes: bean-counter thought they would work in the Caribbean also.

It had nothing to do with Zika - I was just commenting on how ironic it was the the two places we'll be in port now are both places with warnings.

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/alert/zika-virus-caribbean

From the CDC website:

Countries in the Caribbean with current zika warnings

Barbados

Curaçao

The Dominican Republic

Guadeloupe

Haiti

Jamaica

Martinique

The Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, a U.S. territory

Saint Martin