Boat Hair - Is there a remedy?

true45

The short answer: it's the water. There is a lot of sodium in the water (confirmed by a Hotel Director on board). We know some female officers on X ships who have told us that the ship's water has ruined their hair. One even gave up coloring her hair because the water not only stripped her color out, it made it extremely dry. I had the same thing happen to me, especially on longer cruises.

Now on all our cruises we use Six Thirteen (a Wen product) which is very hydrating. It has been a tremendous help. Also, for problems with humidity, try "Straight" spray by Living Proof. I have found it works wonders.

Thanks for the product suggestions..

Hmm...salty water..good argument to restore daily bottled water in AQ class....we only drink bottled water on board...and miss daily delivery in AQ

maybe salty water explains why some some folks say they are puffy at the end of the cruise..

In an effort to increase revenue from the salon, Celebrity is trying a new air additive on the eclipse that applies an almost invisible coating to everyone's hair causing unmanageable "boat hair". In concert with the air conditioning modification, they have also eliminated the rinse agent from the water so that any shampoo or conditioner will leave a slight residue....and as an aside, they have also added salt to the water in an effort to increase the sale of water at all bars.

By the way...when you hear Marco, that means "bring your money" in Urdu...it has nothing at all to do with game. You will soon see a new advertising slogan....Any day on Celebrity is a bad hair day.

Too funny!

I always take my own hair products. Depending on the cruise I will also take argan oil, especially in the Caribbean. You might also try Its a 10, a spray moisturizer that does not get rinsed out.

I second trying out Its a 10, I brought it along on my last cruise and for the first time, I actually had good hair for the entire cruise.

You can find it online, Ulta and most drugstores carry it too, about $20.00. I have also seen travel sizes available for $5-$6.

• Like 1

This thread is showing how we are all so different.

I actually love my boat hair!

I bring shampoo/conditioner from home. I towel dry, comb out and then scrunch up with my hands. I don't use hairdryer and air dry. I end up with nice curls that I don't get at home.

Formal night (haven't done the new thing yet) I pin it up into a bun, still damp, leaving a few wispy curls hanging out in the back. Adding a rhinestone headband and off I go.

I think it is the high humidity that makes my hair so much easier to work with.

• Like 3

Seriously?

I guess you missed the other posts with passengers describing their own experiences with this hair issue.

I asked for help and suggestions which I got in the thread.

Yes, seriously. I do think your initial post was funny.

I understand that you had problems with your hair and I saw the suggestions of others for conditioner et all.

Your post though stated "I've been on a bunch of cruises on Celebrity and other lines and never had to fight my hair so much." You could have just said you had been on a number of cruises period, but instead, you identified Celebrity specifically and therefore I could construe it as a complaint against Celebrity. Mellow out :)

Yes, seriously. I do think your initial post was funny.

I understand that you had problems with your hair and I saw the suggestions of others for conditioner et all.

Your post though stated "I've been on a bunch of cruises on Celebrity and other lines and never had to fight my hair so much." You could have just said you had been on a number of cruises period, but instead, you identified Celebrity specifically and therefore I could construe it as a complaint against Celebrity. Mellow out :)

We are on Celebrity thread -- I just got off a sailing and mentioned it as being worse this time.

No need for you to tell me how to express myself. I got along fine so far without your help.

I got lots of good suggestions for remedies.

We are on Celebrity thread -- I just got off a sailing and mentioned it as being worse this time.

No need for you to tell me how to express myself. I got along fine so far without your help.

I got lots of good suggestions for remedies.

Whew, did you ever take it the wrong way, sorry :(

• Like 1

Thanks for the product suggestions..

Hmm...salty water..good argument to restore daily bottled water in AQ class....we only drink bottled water on board...and miss daily delivery in AQ

maybe salty water explains why some some folks say they are puffy at the end of the cruise..

You're welcome. :)

Unfortunately I can only drink bottled water when cruising due to the higher amounts of sodium in the ship's water. Swelling is definitely a problem and a result of drinking the ship's water or any beverage or soup made with it.

• Like 1

Ugh, I have super fine - it frizzes if you SAY humidity - hair. I typically take my shower and wash my hair in the early evening and then NEVER STEP FOOT OUTSIDE until after dinner. AC does wonders to keep it from frizzing. The next day I clip it up and/or wear a ponytail (or hat) for excursions and sea days.

Always bring my own stuff and hairdryer!

• 3 years later...

I know this post is old, but just wanted to add my views.

Water on cruise ships is desalinated - meaning Ocean-water desalination is the process of removing salt, other minerals and impurities from ocean water so that it can be used to supplement the existing water supply.  And yes, it plays havoc with hair.  Long term use results in hair loss (this happens in the Middle East where this type of water is used regularly).

Its nothing to do with soft or hard water - its sea water that's been stripped back, and this leaves hair dry, flat, static, sometimes, greasy ....... depends on your hair type as to what result you'll get.  For me it does all these things and has happened on every cruise I've been on.

You can buy an Anti-Sal Shampoo which will help.

Edited by Tipsycat
  • Thanks 1

Old thread but good ideas..I like the Argan oil...can get little vials in CVS. Very inexpensive and flies nice,,,

My issue is high humidity  that leads to total frizz, and that's even after a top Keritin treatment.  Go wild, tie it back but its a losing battle!  

• Like 1

On 1/28/2016 at 4:52 PM, true45 said:

Had a wonderful sail on Eclipse Jan 10-24, 2 weeks with the worst dry, flyaway, stand-out, wild, untamable hair ever.

Is it the products? Water? Dry, air conditioned rooms, combo of all 3? I've been on a bunch of cruises on Celebrity and other lines and never had to fight my hair so much.

Help?

Linda

Yeah, its called a hat 

I'm a dude - so take that for what it's worth, but I do like my hair to look good and my hair seems to comb/stay much better whenever cruising.  Maybe everything is just rosy because I am on vacation!  I never bring my own shampoo and just use whatever they supply on the ship.

I read a article about major brand name  manufacturers of soap products supply soaps that work best with the water source in that area.  The article recommended using the products bought in that area for best results.

Any truth to it?    Don’t know  as it may just be a marketing tactic to justify the higher cost  of  their products.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Sailed with Eclipse last year and had the same problem with "flying hair" - I found also the salt water spray the best remedy. It is available in many trademarks as a ready mixture for "straithening hair product"  used with hair straightening iron.  

• Thanks 1