What areas of the ship are useful dying an Alaskan cruise?

kingsgirl

Both Coral and Star have covered pools.

Which in theory reduces the amount of useful space for viewing the Glaciers (though Coral does have plenty of open areas on the top decks).

Isn't being out in the elements one of the main reasons to take an Alaska cruise? Bundle up and enjoy; if you'd rather be in shorts and flip-flops, head for the Caribbean.

Really depends on what month you go to Alaska. The farther north you are the colder it gets but we had some pretty nice weather the closer we got to Vancouver. We were one of the few that sat outside and watched Movies Under the Stars. We had heavy jackets on and plenty of blankets. As long as it didn't rain we were there.

Are there lots of viewing places inside that would have chairs? I'm all for being outside but you can't be outside the whole time. We are planning on an inside cabin and just want to make sure there are places we could camp out and watch the scenery go by.

The last two times I went to Alaska (early June and early August) temperatures averaged 80 degrees during the day. All areas of the ship were useful. The previous time, which happened to be mid-July, was pretty darned cold. My advice is to bring lots of layers and enjoy the elements, whether warm or cold.

In my opinion there are not a lot of large public areas for viewing. The windows that are available will probably be crowded with others not wanting to go outside if it's cold. I think the biggest area to sit and watch would be the Horizon Court as it's all windows but probably not that comfortable.

Ships are Coral and Star.

I just learned there is no use for the Sanctuary as its not enclosed from the elements.

Are there in door (warm enough) pools for swimming? What about movies under the stars? Pointless in Alaska ?

Don't quite understand your questions.

Both ships have indoor pools with hot tubs. The pool water is not hot but is warm enough for a dip. The hot tubs are, of course warm to hot. Outside pools also have hot tubs that are comfortable even in cold temps.

The Sanctuary wasn't really designed for Alaska cruises, It's purpose is for tropical cruises, so it isn't really used in colder weather.

Movies Under the Stars is just what it says, outdoor under the stars. Watching a movie on deck in the tropics can be cool and requires a blanket, in Alaska you can expect it to be colder.

There are plenty of viewing areas on both ships, but to view Alaska sites you just have to go outside, and dress in layers.

I like the ships with indoor pools (both Coral and Star have them). It is another place where people can be warm. On ships with out them, the interior areas seem more crowded.

I find the best place for viewing is on Deck 7, Promenade deck. It is not crowded and I think the lower location gives a better perspective. Everyone goes to the top and it does get crowded.

They will try to sell you a viewing area but don't buy into it. Deck 7 is perfect. On the Coral, there are also front and aft viewing areas.

As far as weather, we did a b2b from Vancouver/Whittier/Vancouver on the Sapphire mid June. It was warm and sunny on the way to Vancouver. Our excursion to the Yukon was a beautiful day. It was 80F where we stopped for lunch.:)

On sailing back to Vancouver, it was like someone flipped a switch. Foggy, rainy, etc. But I will say, with the lack of sun, you could really view the glaciers better.:):)

As far as weather, we did a b2b from Vancouver/Whittier/Vancouver on the Sapphire mid June. It was warm and sunny on the way to Vancouver. Our excursion to the Yukon was a beautiful day. It was 80F where we stopped for lunch.:)

On sailing back to Vancouver, it was like someone flipped a switch. Foggy, rainy, etc. But I will say, with the lack of sun, you could really view the glaciers better.:):)

This is the biggest advantage for doing a b2b. Weather is bound to be good on one of the legs. Lucky if it is both directions.

Glaciers actually look bluer and nicer in overcast weather than when it is sunny.

DON

Really depends on what month you go to Alaska. The farther north you are the colder it gets but we had some pretty nice weather the closer we got to Vancouver. We were one of the few that sat outside and watched Movies Under the Stars. We had heavy jackets on and plenty of blankets. As long as it didn't rain we were there.

It was wonderful watching the big screen under the stars, they supply blankets and hot chocolate.

Marlster

Ships are Coral and Star.

I just learned there is no use for the Sanctuary as its not enclosed from the elements.

Are there in door (warm enough) pools for swimming? What about movies under the stars? Pointless in Alaska ?

Here is my trick for enjoying an Alaskan cruise, no matter the weather: I have a warm, down coat from Land's End. The coat I have can be used for Movies Under the Stars, Glacier Viewing, my daily very long walks around the promenade both to get exercise and look for whales and other wildlife, etc. I would NEVER want to stay inside in Alaska. Alaska is amazingly beautiful, and the weather is variable -- that is part of the experience. The coat I have is on sale right now for just $99 in four colors:

http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-chalet-down-long-coat/id_288188?sku_0=::JBK

Regarding swimming, the indoor pool area is cozy and warm, probably because of the heat from the hot tubs. On most ships, the loungers on the upper deck in the indoor pool area are cushioned. I like to sit up there and read.

On two of my Alaskan cruises, the outdoor pool areas were warm enough also. I like the Sanctuary pool area, which is quieter. There are hot tubs there also. The Sanctuary pool area is free to use and there should only be adults there (although I have seen an occasional adult bring their child.)

I agree that being outside is best. But I just looked at the average weather for July-- inside passage is listed as a low of 48 degrees. I can't imagine bringing that kind of a jacket when the high is in the mid 60s. Maybe for shoulder season, but certainly not mid-summer.

I agree that being outside is best. But I just looked at the average weather for July-- inside passage is listed as a low of 48 degrees. I can't imagine bringing that kind of a jacket when the high is in the mid 60s. Maybe for shoulder season, but certainly not mid-summer.

The only problem is, my mid-summer (mid July) Alaskan cruise was by far my coldest. It was too cold to go outside with the coat I had brought. This was when I learned about the variability of Alaskan weather and the value of going to Alaska prepared for any weather.

We had snow and freezing rain in late July early August.

Summer in Alaska is not the same.

We were glad we brought heavy jackets/gloves/hats etc.

They came in real handy. Best to have them then caught without.

We had snow and freezing rain in late July early August.

Summer in Alaska is not the same.

We were glad we brought heavy jackets/gloves/hats etc.

They came in real handy. Best to have them then caught without.

I have a tale of 2 cruises - both over 4th of July.

First one, spitting ice and torrential rain, high winds, freezing cold and intense fog. Ship ran out of jackets.

Several years later, sunburn, literally too warm - high 80's.

Similar experiences have taught me to bring both my bathing suit *and* my expedition quality down coat when traveling to Alaska. It is better to be prepared and therefore be able to enjoy the cruise no matter what Mother Nature throws my way.

As a LOL story, last August when we were in the Yukon Territory on an excursion, I talked to my sister who was vacationing in Honolulu. All her friends she was traveling with wanted to know how cold we were. When it turned out that it was warmer in the Yukon than in Hawaii, they were outraged ;) . But even though we were having a heat wave, I was happy to have my warm coat for MUTS at night. Plus, the weather can change quickly up there.

Our last cruise to Alaska was over the solstice in June and it was some of the warmest weather ever... It even hit 100 near Denali... If you dress for any kind of weather you should be fine... You can always buy an extra jacket or sweatshirt as a souvenir!

I think I'm going to do layering, as I will be away from home for 6 weeks. I don't have room in my suitcase for the heavy jacket-- I can do 35 degrees in my lightweight one ok and I will bring a hat, earmuffs, and gloves.

Edited by denatravels

we just booked for August of 2017 doing a b2b including a land portion (3 weeks total). SO excited, as this has long been a dream trip postponed because of our medically complex son who will also be going with us (we will be celebrating a slightly belated 35th wedding anniversary for us and a slightly early 21st birthday for him). Coral on the way up and Star on the way back... because our son has temperature intolerance we plan on bringing a wide variety of clothing especially for him so he can stay as comfortable as possible, should we also plan to bring extra blankets and such for when he is outside? (bringing his snow clothes, we live in Idaho). We are in HA staterooms, oceanview obstructed on the way up and inside on the way back, so hopefully there will be a little more room for his gear that way too... he does not travel light (tube fed as well as various medical equipment and scooter).

Are people usually pretty good about sharing the railings for views for those wishing to take photos? We have run into issues on whale cruises in Monterey CA where the "big guys" hogged the railings and refused to move to let the little guy in to take his pics... :(

Thank you!

Heidi

We almost always go to Alaska in September and have had amazing weather. One year, though, it was so cold and rainy when sailing up Tracy Arm to the Sawyer Glacier. My SIL and I braved the elements unlike many others that were onboard. The next time we went, a couple of years later, I sent her a picture of me and my DH at about the same spot as she and I were standing on that one cruise wrapped up for the tundra. But this time, we were in our bathing suits....I kid you not....it was just that nice!

People automatically think that Alaska is going to be very cold and sometimes it is just downright pleasant. That latter trip that I reported above, I didn't have to put my jacket on once but did use an entire tube of sun block. You do have to be prepared for the colder temps but you might be pleasantly surprised.