Our journey on the Journey after drydock

kaz

We are on the first cruise after drydock. We know that other people have posted but wanted to give our perspective. We have a veranda cabin on deck 7,and the new furniture is very nice along with the carpet. It took a full day to get the TV working. The only complaint is that the veranda is dirty with paint chips and pieces of carpet on the deck. The food has been great with a large selection. Service for the most part has been good with a few hiccups. They finally got one hot tub working today (Saturday). I used it and the jets worked for 15 minutes before breaking down. I along with another person noticed a lot of debris in the bottom and I pulled out pieces of sandpaper. As of last evening the self service laundry is still out of service until further notice . We packed a limited amount of clothing expecting to do some laundry and are now having to send it out. The slot machines are working but do not pay out,you have to contact an attendant to receive yor money and sign on two different sheets. So going from one machine to another is a pain. I guess we are lucky as talking to other passengers who's toilets did not work and suite passengers that were downgraded onboard because their suites were not ready. Others had soaking wet carpets. We had no knowledge of the drydock when we booked and this being our first Azamara cruise and you can imagine what our first impression is. The staff onboard is fantastic and I am sure that it has been a rough few weeks for them.

Edited by kaz

We are on the first cruise after drydock. We know that other people have posted but wanted to give our perspective. We have a veranda cabin on deck 7,and the new furniture is very nice along with the carpet. It took a full day to get the TV working. The only complaint is that the veranda is dirty with paint chips and pieces of carpet on the deck. The food has been great with a large selection. Service for the most part has been good with a few hiccups. They finally got one hot tub working today (Saturday). I used it and the jets worked for 15 minutes before breaking down. I along with another person noticed a lot of debris in the bottom and I pulled out pieces of sandpaper. As of last evening the self service laundry is still out of service until further notice . We packed a limited amount of clothing expecting to do some laundry and are now having to send it out. The slot machines are working but do not pay out,you have to contact an attendant to receive yor money and sign on two different sheets. So going from one machine to another is a pain. I guess we are lucky as talking to other passengers who's toilets did not work and suite passengers that were downgraded onboard because their suites were not ready. Others had soaking wet carpets. We had no knowledge of the drydock when we booked and this being our first Azamara cruise and you can imagine what our first impression is. The staff onboard is fantastic and I am sure that it has been a rough few weeks for them.

Thank you for your honest review. Is Azamara doing anything about his all these issues?

Are they compensating the guests somehow?

What a major disappointment of a cruise!

Hope you find a way to enjoy yourself regardless of the unfinished product the company has put out in the market.

Hello Kaz, thanks for posting your experience. Glad to hear that the veranda cabins are nice. We have also booked a veranda cabin on the journey for March. Do you think you can post some pictures? Or tell us more about the MDR menus. Please don't feel pressure to do so, first of all enjoy your cruise! I think it's a matter of perspective but for me are a TV not working for one day on a cruise in the Caribbean and some inconvenience by using the slot machine minor issues that won't ruin my cruise. I hope that they will fix the hot tubs soon and probably you can get some free laundry (just my thoughts). Again, enjoy!

Thank you for your honest review. Is Azamara doing anything about his all these issues?

Hope you find a way to enjoy yourself regardless of the unfinished product the company has put out in the market.

The staff are trying their best to deal with all the problems. No compensation at least for us. We are enjoying this cruise as the food is excellent and the majority of the ship is also excellent.

Hello Kaz, thanks for posting your experience. Glad to hear that the veranda cabins are nice. We have also booked a veranda cabin on the journey for March. Do you think you can post some pictures? Or tell us more about the MDR menus. Please don't feel pressure to do so, first of all enjoy your cruise! I think it's a matter of perspective but for me are a TV not working for one day on a cruise in the Caribbean and some inconvenience by using the slot machine minor issues that won't ruin my cruise. I hope that they will fix the hot tubs soon and probably you can get some free laundry (just my thoughts). Again, enjoy!

I will post some photos after the cruise as I do not have much Internet time left. I will try to remember to take some menu photos and post them post cruise. We are enjoying this cruise.

Look forward to your photos, as we are first time Azamara cruisers in September on Quest.

----as I do not have much Internet time left. I will try to remember to take some menu photos and post them post cruise. We are enjoying this cruise.

Is the internet speed acceptable?

Edited by upwarduk

Every time someone goes on a cruise where a few minor problems occur, some of the passengers yell "compensation". As long as the crew work on the problem and try to fix it and as long as the problems do not totally destroy the cruise experience, I figure that all is OK. I do not need to have every problem settled by having someone write me a check for compensation. I would be happy to have them comp me a free bottle of wine as a good faith gesture.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Every time someone goes on a cruise where a few minor problems occur, some of the passengers yell "compensation". As long as the crew work on the problem and try to fix it and as long as the problems do not totally destroy the cruise experience, I figure that all is OK. I do not need to have every problem settled by having someone write me a check for compensation. I would be happy to have them comp me a free bottle of wine as a good faith gesture.

DON

Why not ask for compensation, what do you have to lose?

Seems to me this ship needed another week in dry dock. Where was the quality control (manager) on projects that were unfinished.

I'd be less than satisfied if I paid thousands of $$$ and the ship was not in tip top shape.

Edited by need2cruisesoon

Host Andy posted the following this evening. Note that people are getting "compensated" for the laundry problems and those whose suites weren't ready are almost certainly getting something but the details are nobody's business but the affected parties and Azamara.

Everything else seems too minor to worry about and why there is so much angst from people who are not even there is beyond me.

Hi Everyone,

Here's a list of onboard concerns listed by others (not my concerns). I've reached out to Senior Officers, to obtain their status.

New Tables (Windows Café) : Tables are onboard, and should be available tomorrow.

Missing toilet seats : From all accounts, this appears to be untrue. Housekeeping had ONE, (yes one) report of a BROKEN toilet seat, which was immediately replaced.

Bathtub Stoppers : New ones were purchased yesterday. Unfortunately, they did not fit perfectly (but they should offer some functionality), so another batch was expected to be purchased today. I will try to follow up on this.

Self Service Laundry : 6 New machines installed. Should be working today or tomorrow. They also dispense soap, like the older machines have. As a sidenote, I was advised that complimentary laundry has been made available during the absence of working machines - but that will end once the new machines are operational.

T-Pool : Now working and available

Jaccuzzis : 1 fully functional, the other should be ready tomorrow.

Suites : Club Ocean Suites should be complete within the next couple of days. Club World owners suites expected to be ready by the end of this cruise. Will continue to keep checking on this, as the cruise progresses.

As mentioned in my last post, a fair amount of the concerns are overblown, and much of what has been mentioned above, has since been resolved. We are having an absolutely wonderful cruise.

Hope this is helpful, and we can get back on topic now. Thank You !

Very interested on this subject as we are on the Journey in April. But, now having read Andy's post from another thread, I am resting more easily. There are always issues after a major refurbishment, but it seems as though they are being addressed.

Seems to me this ship needed another week in dry dock. Where was the quality control (manager) on projects that were unfinished.

I'd be less than satisfied if I paid thousands of $$$ and the ship was not in tip top shape.

Yes, it must be awful to be on a ship where one stateroom had a cracked toilet seat--that was likely replaced minutes after it was pointed out; or where passengers, when dining at the outdoor area of the buffet, were forced to sit at perfectly good tables that were not replaced during dry dock, but instead four days after; or where at most sixteen Club Continent suites (the ones with tubs) had to either improvise drain plugs (e.g., Pringles can tops, apparently) or take showers instead of baths for four days; or where the limited number of people with access to the thalassotherapy pool could not have use of it for four days; or where passengers were forced to use the ship's laundry facility at no cost because the new do-it-yourself laundry machines were not yet installed and passengers couldn't take their valuable vacation time and spend it operating the machines in the do-it-yourself laundry.

Surely, anyone can see how someone subjected to these indignities should ask for, maybe even demand, significant compensation. After all, what would they have to lose? Other than maybe their self-respect.

Those who paid for the ten corner suites but had to be downgraded to Club Continent suites surely deserve to be, and I'm certain will be, compensated for this change in their accommodations.

Edited by marinaro44

DON

When we went to shower before dinner last evening we suddenly had no water.We called guest relations and within a couple of minutes 2 plumbers showed up.It took an hour but was finally fixed. Both hot tubs are now working.Last night was White Night and it was a blast ,we had a great time.

Self service laundry is not working but they are giving free bags to send out.

This compensation culture stinks. What do you have to lose? Well, we all lose in the end. Accept that things happen and if they are quickly put right what is there to complain about?

When we went to shower before dinner last evening we suddenly had no water.We called guest relations and within a couple of minutes 2 plumbers showed up.It took an hour but was finally fixed. Both hot tubs are now working.Last night was White Night and it was a blast ,we had a great time.

Self service laundry is not working but they are giving free bags to send out.

We are in St. Bart's today and they are bringing local entertainment on board this evening for the Azamazing event. Last evening they brought on local lobster that was great. Slot machines still do not pay out and we were told it will not be repaired until we get back to Miami. The self service laundry is still not operational. I have talked to many people especially those from the UK that are not happy with the 30% discount on a future cruise as they do not plan on another Azamara cruise. They thought that there should be a monetary compensation as they did not receive what they payed for. We have only had a few minor problems and are having a good cruise. We still do not know what is missing in the cabin as everyday something else appears such as umbrella one day,bible the next, ship directory the next day and the trash can is still missing from the bathroom. All minor issues but still issues. Also we were told before embarking that they wanted the ship to be perfect for us and that we would be amazed. I do not know if it is true or not but was told the the cleaning personnel that were to board at 6 AM were delayed until 10AM due to immigration issues. If that was the case they should have been honest and told us that was reason for delayed boarding

I have talked to many people especially those from the UK that are not happy with the 30% discount on a future cruise as they do not plan on another Azamara cruise.

I am sure that when we were given Future Cruise Certificates ( discount of £330 p.p) due to a smell akin to a sewer outside our room on Eclipse in the inaugural season, they had the RCCL logo on them. In other words they could be used on a future cruise on any ship within the RCCL umbrella.

This compensation culture stinks. What do you have to lose? Well, we all lose in the end. Accept that things happen and if they are quickly put right what is there to complain about?

Agreed. It's simply amazing that generous compensation was offered, and there's (supposedly) griping going on about it - which BTW, I have spoken with many guests who said they were pleased with the compensation offer. Of course, if they do not plan to sail with Azamara again, then I suppose no amount of compensation would be acceptable.

You know what they say - it's impossible to please everyone, no matter how hard you try.

We´ve got a Future Cruise Certificate for some problems with the not refurbished Century. When we booked the cruise, it was promised, that the Century would be refurbished, but than Miami decided to sell her and we got this Certificate after minor complains being back home.

We could use this Certificate for all three companies: Celebrity, Azamara and Royal Caribbean. We used it for our Serenade cruise last september.

We´ve got a Future Cruise Certificate for some problems with the not refurbished Century. When we booked the cruise, it was promised, that the Century would be refurbished, but than Miami decided to sell her and we got this Certificate after minor complains being back home.

We could use this Certificate for all three companies: Celebrity, Azamara and Royal Caribbean. We used it for our Serenade cruise last September.

Thank you for confirming that my memory was correct- the Future Cruise certificate was issued in November 2010, so,I wondered if T&C's had changed in 5 years.

Edited by upwarduk

We have future cruise certificates, given because we were confined to our cabin for 24 hours when my husband had an upset tummy. We can't use them on our upcoming cruise, 'cos that's already had future cruise certificates applied to it, and apparently you can't apply two certificates to one cruise. They are clearly marked Azamara and when I asked if I would be able to use them on a Celebrity cruise, I was told I could ask, but it might or might not be granted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

iIts unfair of "host Andy" to suggest that you can't please all of the people all the time in this situation. If you have saved long and hard for a cruise only to find that the ship is still being refurbished then you have every right. I know that they had problems with containers arriving late etc but that is down to AZ not its customers. The turnaround time seemed quite tight anyway. Perhaps host Andy needs to be more objective in his reports? I am sure AZ started the cruise knowing that compensation would need to be offered due to problems with the refurb.

Edited by chromered7

iIts unfair of "host Andy" to suggest that you can't please all of the people all the time in this situation. If you have saved long and hard for a cruise only to find that the ship is still being refurbished then you have every right. I know that they had problems with containers arriving late etc but that is down to AZ not its customers. The turnaround time seemed quite tight anyway. Perhaps host Andy needs to be more objective in his reports? I am sure AZ started the cruise knowing that compensation would need to be offered due to problems with the refurb.

I, like you am not on the ship at this time so our information is only coming from those posting here.

But apart from those people who booked top suites and had to be accommodated elsewhere which is very upsetting the issues do appear to be of a fairly minor nature.

The self service laundry is not operational so they are doing people's laundry free of charge. The slots pay out coupons rather than coins - hardly a reason for a cruise to be spoilt.

Yes I am sure there are some more niggles as there always are when a ship comes out of dry dock. However, the ship is in the beautiful Caribbean sunshine and I am sure the wonderful crew are doing everything to ensure guests enjoy the best cruise experience possible.

30% off a future cruise is generous IMO, so surely it's time to make lemonade out of lemons.