On Coral now post dry dock

sunsetbeachgal

E&H, Thank you so much, I am loving all the detailed info!

No way would I judge a mattress by a thumbnail photo. But, I can say it looks WONDERFUL compared to the thin rock that we had on our one last Princess Cruise. No problems with the strap-on, at all. People might have different preferences. And having the removable top layer could possibly mean that it has a washable cover. And I would not assume that there is comfortable/foam pillow-top layering as the top layers in that high-profile mattress itself. Many are made like that. Haven't seen a two-sided flippable mattress in years!

I see the band Party Xtsea listed in the one post. By name, one would think they might be more lively/fun. I hope there is a more lively/fun band onboard when we cruise Alaska!

Edited by Wishing on a star

I asked the cabin steward yesterday if these were the new mattresses and he said yes. We were only the second passengers to sleep on them. They are comfortable and enjoyed several good nights sleep.

I just checked again as docked here in Aruba and up drinking some coffee. It's not a pilow top sewn into the mattress. It is a one sided mattress that is not flippable. There is a queen size topper, that is a pillow top held on with four straps around the corners. It's removable, and about two inches thick. It's not the egg crate, but a padded topper. It does close the gap well between the two matresses and can't tell much difference in the two sides. Maybe these are designed this way to be washable. In any case, they are more comfortable than the old mattresses.

Thanks for taking time during your cruise to check on the mattresses & posting a photo. The mattress pad looks comfy & thicker than the pillowtop pad (also attached with straps) I saw on the Royal & Regal. We have a memory foam pad on our bed which isn't washable but the Princess website promoting the new mattresses does not use that term to describe the foam used. Does it appear to have the "European-inspired duvet and 100% luxurious Jacquard-woven cotton linens" they describe as part of upgrading their sleep experience?

http://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/princess-luxury-bed/

Maybe by having a removable pillowtop pad they can more easily replace it when it when it lacks sufficient support & is easier to replace than the mattress.

Thanks for the updates on the mattress's. If these are in fact the new mattress's they fall far short of the luxury ones that Princess touts in there description.

"a mattress utilizing the latest in sleep science research and technology for the ultimate night of sleep on board".

Really? A strap on pillow top? :(

It looks different than what is promoted on their website :confused:

image.jpg.d3e1afec45a4703b9d21c4defd7f0fe1.jpg

Everything in the cabin is working fine. Balcony furniture could use a new coat of varnish, but cushions are good. Two of the steamliner chairs with a small table, and a dining table with two chairs. This is a nice suite and right off the AFT staircase. Breakfast in Sabatini's is exceptional.

Really appreciate you taking the time to post. We will be on the Coral in a little over two weeks in a suite one deck up from your cabin. Was surprised to see that the balcony dining table only has two chairs as the suites that we've been in before had 4 chairs. We are traveling with my inlaws and were hoping to seat everyone on the balcony but I guess there are worse problems that we could have and will make do!

Edited by azbirdmom

Was surprised to see that the balcony dining table only has two chairs as the suites that we've been in before had 4 chairs. We are traveling with my inlaws and were hoping to seat everyone on the balcony but I guess there are worse problems that we could have and will make do!

Several years ago when they replaced the balcony furniture they also reduced from 4 to 2 the number of chairs on their larger balconies. Since reducing the number of chairs, I don't recall if they still have footrests which we've used when having people join us on our larger balcony.

I think the topper is only used to keep two beds together, and make a level sleeping surface. It's in addition to the thumbnail you posted.

Thanks...that makes sense & why didn't I think about it? Opps! :o

Edited by Astro Flyer

Several years ago when they replaced the balcony furniture they also reduced from 4 to 2 the number of chairs on their larger balconies. Since reducing the number of chairs, I don't recall if they still have footrests which we've used when having people join us on our larger balcony.

What you said is what we noticed in mini suites, but we have been in two full suites in the past 12 months and both had 4 chairs at the balcony table. Both were aft suites with larger balconies. Maybe since the suite on the Coral is on the side, the balcony is smaller and there aren't as many chairs? Guess we will find out soon enough!

What you said is what we noticed in mini suites, but we have been in two full suites in the past 12 months and both had 4 chairs at the balcony table. Both were aft suites with larger balconies. Maybe since the suite on the Coral is on the side, the balcony is smaller and there aren't as many chairs? Guess we will find out soon enough!

My apologies...that was my experience with a larger Caribe deck balcony on many Princess ships but I don't know about suites. :o

Thanks for the good news. Just booked the Coral for March 6, and was bummed about the loss of Sabatini's. Glad to hear it's still there.

Have a great trip,

Kevin

We are very seriously considering booking the same cruise. I'm really curious to hear how the 10 day partial before the March 6th one goes

We boarded the lovely Coral around noon in the first group, (coral got pier 2 today, sorry Emerald cruisers!) and the changes I have noticed are:

-no Share restaurant. Sabatinis is still there and when I stopped by at the reservation desk to ask about Share the employee had no clue what I was talking about

-new beds. They appear to be a comfy pillow top

- new carpet in many of the public areas, horizon court, halls and stairs. Very nice colors

- ship exterior painted, very fresh looking

- ALL new equipment in exercise room and exercise bikes

-lots of brand new books in the Library

That's it for now. Muster drill shortly!

Does the Coral have the Princess@Sea messaging system?

We are very seriously considering booking the same cruise. I'm really curious to hear how the 10 day partial before the March 6th one goes

I hope things work out for you and you can sail on the Coral Princess March 6. If you book, make sure to join the Roll Call here.

Really appreciate you taking the time to post. We will be on the Coral in a little over two weeks in a suite one deck up from your cabin. Was surprised to see that the balcony dining table only has two chairs as the suites that we've been in before had 4 chairs. We are traveling with my inlaws and were hoping to seat everyone on the balcony but I guess there are worse problems that we could have and will make do!

We seen the same thing. We were on the Emerald this past November in an AFT suite, and there was four dining chairs with a table & two steamliner loungers. That worked out well has had the UBD for four of us one night.

Only two dining chairs with this suite, although could probably get two more around it if needed.

I will try it again real quick and see if it posts larger.

I talked to the cabin steward last night. The Twin mattresses do not have a pillow top, just a regualr soft top. If you have the beds set up as twins, there is no extra topper, however you can request an egg crate if needed.

If you have them set up as a queen, they add this one piece solid topper to it as in the past. It's about 2 inches thick and based on feal & rebound, it has foam inside. Not memory foam, just regular foam in it with a nice fabric.

Overall, on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being really firm, I would say they are about an 8 with the topper. Firm, yet the topper gives some softness at pressure points to make it a comfortable mattress.

My hope wife hopes the picture comes thru OK so I will stop taking the bed apart :-)

Time for breakfast.......

24796464032_efc4f8af26_z.jpgBEDD631 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

I will try it again real quick and see if it posts larger.

I talked to the cabin steward last night. The Twin mattresses do not have a pillow top, just a regualr soft top. If you have the beds set up as twins, there is no extra topper, however you can request an egg crate if needed.

If you have them set up as a queen, they add this one piece solid topper to it as in the past. It's about 2 inches thick and based on feal & rebound, it has foam inside. Not memory foam, just regular foam in it with a nice fabric.

Overall, on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being really firm, I would say they are about an 8 with the topper. Firm, yet the topper gives some softness at pressure points to make it a comfortable mattress.

My hope wife hopes the picture comes thru OK so I will stop taking the bed apart :-)

Time for breakfast.......

I give you an A+ grade for taking so much time during your cruise to provide us with great answers.! :D

Thank you very much & hope you can now "escape completely". ;)

Did you take an excursion while in Aruba or just walk around the port ? I think you might be in Cartahena today. Are you taking a tour there as well? I really appreciate all the info you are providing !!!

We just walked around the port. Since the Carnival parade was on Sunday I think it was downtown, Monday was a day of rest. Pretty much the whole city was closed and streets mostly empty. Those who had excursions were still able to go and a few of the shops that were right at the peer were open, and that was about it. We have made many lany=d vacation trips to Aruba in the 90's and seen most of the island several times, so probably would not have planned anything if it had been open.

We are docked in Cartagena right now, about 30 minutes until sail away. Really hot down here, but enjoying it as our son just told me there was a little snow fall in Georgia right now.

We did the old scooner sailing ship cruise in the bay for a couple of hours. It was informative and enjoyed it. We seen the fort last time we were here in 2014 and decided not to go into town again.

No Share? Lucky Coral pax! We sail on the Ruby next month and I don't anticipate going to Share -- too expensive, foods sounds too high-concept. We would have tried Sabatni's though. It looked inviting, and at least there you know what you're getting. Foam belongs on a glass of beer, not on my plate.[emoji6]

We are stopped outside the locks, waiting our turn to enter. Everything on the ship is still looking good as we walk around, except this one problem spot. On Dolphin deck at the mid-ship elevators, starboard side as soon as you turn to start down the hallway towards the back of the ship. They still have the ceiling opened up and has been that way since we boarded. Since we are right off the AFT elevators, we have not been through the passengers cabin decks very much. Anyway, this area smells pretty bad, around these first 4-5 cabins. We walked past it two days ago, noticed not much had changed and still the same this morning. I hope they get this fixed for the sake of the passengers in these 4-5 rooms as not a pleasant smell to open the door and walk into.

Friday is a sea day and to walk off some of this great food, I am going to try and walk all the decks with cabins, front to back and see if there are any more problem spots they are working on. My wife said I could go myself and she could take a nap :-)

I know there is always something going on, somewhere on the ship, but this problem on Dolphin has been there all week.

24934863705_be0b1f7331_z.jpgD3 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

24908559146_e1f32399b9_z.jpgD2 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

24841527881_93e80eb6d5_z.jpgD1 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr