On Coral now post dry dock

sunsetbeachgal

Well, since CCL is a part owner in Grand Bahamas Shipyard, it makes sense to use it. Also, US shipyards are far more expensive than GBSY, which is why many US flag ships go there, even though they have to pay 50% customs duty to the US on the entire shipyard bill. Also, none of the shipyards really do the work inside the hotel areas of the ship. This is done by teams flown in that have experience working on cruise ship interiors and experience working with the particular line (in some cases, the "tiger teams" are company employees who do just renovations), and there can be problems getting visas for these workers in the US.
That was the reported reason that many of the changes planned for the Star Princess drydock in 2008 were not able to be completed. Princess now primarily uses Canada for West coast drydocks.

I may be wrong (as usual) but I thought I read that Share was only on the Emerald and the Ruby was getting it. No other dates for other ships locked in yet.
SHARE was added to both the Emerald and the Ruby in December and per the news release below was to be added to the Coral in January and the Sun in April.

http://www.princess.com/news/press_releases/2015/08/Princess-Cruises-Introduces-Share-by-Curtis-Stone.html#.Vq525Ow77CQ

Thanks for posting the updated news about the Coral! I am glad to hear Sabatini's is still there and will look forward to dining there in June based on the great reviews I've about here on CC. Personally, the few pictures I've seen from the Share restaurant really didn't look too appetizing to me. Have a great cruise!

Well...its me again! For years I have been reading advice on CC never to take the cruise of a ship just going into dry dock or just coming out, and now I know why!

While she is a wonderful ship, and we are having a great time, things aren't quite right. The water on the ship is an issue, only one pool was open as of yesterday afternoon, and no hot tubs were open. I havent been out and about today to see what is going on, we got a letter from the captain yesterday apologizing and saying they would be open soon. MUTS has not been working at all. But worse, the water spigot in our sink hasn't worked for over a day. it has been reported but not fixed. Thankfully I can live with it, better the sink than the shower! or the toilet

Captain just came on to say that our arrival into Cozumel is delayed due to operational things during the night. Not sure how delayed??

Cruise other than that is great, excellent service, food, etc. We went to a presentation on the dry dock changes and alot of it involved the new carpet, upholstering many chairs, completely re-doing the gift shops, much work under the ship with thrusters (which were being tested yesterday and contributed to our slow down). The CD Mike said Share was never scheduled to go in to the Coral during this dry dock??

So, will get back to everyone soon. Wish me luck with the water!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Well...its me again! For years I have been reading advice on CC never to take the cruise of a ship just going into dry dock or just coming out, and now I know why!

While she is a wonderful ship, and we are having a great time, things aren't quite right. The water on the ship is an issue, only one pool was open as of yesterday afternoon, and no hot tubs were open. I havent been out and about today to see what is going on, we got a letter from the captain yesterday apologizing and saying they would be open soon. MUTS has not been working at all. But worse, the water spigot in our sink hasn't worked for over a day. it has been reported but not fixed. Thankfully I can live with it, better the sink than the shower! or the toilet

Captain just came on to say that our arrival into Cozumel is delayed due to operational things during the night. Not sure how delayed??

Cruise other than that is great, excellent service, food, etc. We went to a presentation on the dry dock changes and alot of it involved the new carpet, upholstering many chairs, completely re-doing the gift shops, much work under the ship with thrusters (which were being tested yesterday and contributed to our slow down). The CD Mike said Share was never scheduled to go in to the Coral during this dry dock??

So, will get back to everyone soon. Wish me luck with the water!

Thanks for any and all the updates. We are sailing next when you return and very interested in hearing what all is going on.

Sounds like dry dock work in the Bahamas is seriously lacking. The Emerald had lots of problems, also water related, for the first few cruises after her dry dock. Someone reported that the water bunkered in Bahamas had some minerals in it which did not agree with the ship's plumbing.

Hi,

For what it's worth, the deck plans for the Coral Princess in the 2016-2017 Princess Cruise Atlas indicate Share in place of Sabatini's. Thus, Princess must have intended to add Share to the Coral Princess at one time. Because I am booked on the Coral Princess this May, I am interested in reading about the recent changes that were made to the ship.

Chuck

It's 11:00 AM and the Captain just announced that they are still working on the problem which may take a couple of more hours. No information about what the problem is. Communication has been poor. He has been in contact with Corporate about our future itinerary. The compensation in a letter yesterday for no hot tubs, only one pool, and no MUTS was a free glass of wine at dinner. What a joke especially for those who don't drink wine. At least the hot tubs are working today. Indoor pool is still murky.

...The CD Mike said Share was never scheduled to go in to the Coral during this dry dock??...
Hi,

For what it's worth, the deck plans for the Coral Princess in the 2016-2017 Princess Cruise Atlas indicate Share in place of Sabatini's. Thus, Princess must have intended to add Share to the Coral Princess at one time. Because I am booked on the Coral Princess this May, I am interested in reading about the recent changes that were made to the ship.

Chuck

CD Mike's comments are very strange considering that the Princess August press release stated that SHARE would be added to the Coral in January. The press release also stated that SHARE would also be added to the Sun in April. See post #30 for a link to the press release. As posted above, the 2016-2017 Cruise Atlas shows SHARE on the Emerald, Ruby, Coral and Sun. Time will tell. Edited by IECalCruiser

I wish everyone would post on this 'ON THE CORAL NOW' THREAD...

Is the ship going to miss port today?

I am hearing that the ship seems to be delayed/stuck at sea...

And the comments about the thrusters, etc..

Wow, I had tried to be excited to book the Coral Princess to Alaska, hoping that she would have a successful drydock and be in top/ship shape.

Edited by Wishing on a star

We are scheduled to board this Friday for the 10 day Panama canal cruise so we are very interested in what's going on. Hopefully they get the water and thrusters situation straightened out soon.

Did Coral get the new beds? The Princess rep told us she would be getting them during this maintenance period in dry dock.

I hope your cruise turns out to a good one.

CD Mike's comments are very strange considering that the Princess August press release stated that SHARE would be added to the Coral in January. The press release also stated that SHARE would also be added to the Sun in April. See post #30 for a link to the press release. As posted above, the 2016-2017 Cruise Atlas shows SHARE on the Emerald, Ruby, Coral and Sun. Time will tell.

On another thread about the Coral departing from drydock a post said Share did not replace Sabatini's due to a poor response to the change on other ships.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2308159&page=4

The matire d in Sabatini's said the response was so bad from the change on other ships they scraped it. Sounds like they needed to spend more time on the engines since we are trapped at sea.
Edited by Astro Flyer

Wow, I had tried to be excited to book the Coral Princess to Alaska, hoping that she would have a successful drydock and be in top/ship shape.

They had better have everything worked out by the Alaska season! Those folks on the Coral right now seem to be having a similar miserable experience to those on the Emerald a month or so ago. Sounds like the Emerald has worked out its problems. Hopefully the Coral will too within a short time. All this just reinforces my belief to avoid any cruise immediately post dry dock.

We are still before final payment date.....

Be interesting to see what Princess does over the next few days, and how they choose to handle this with passengers who are just sitting there, with plumbing and water problems, going in circles.

They should never have gone ahead into Mexican waters if they were unsure about the engines and propellers, thrusters, etc....

eta: assmuming that they are in Mexican waters somewhere on the way to Coz....

Edited by Wishing on a star