When do you pack?

Jarronwood

Or get these from Amazon. I've used them a few times and they are good.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00X6M2CFA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

Phil

I have these as well - very good quality and size is just right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Josie,

Just to let you know that there has been an ongoing problem with the Azamara luggage tags supplier and it is unlikely that you will receive them. You can print them out from your e documents, but then it will have to be a Blue Peter job with sticky tape and scissors!

The check in thingy allowed me to order them and I had a little message come up saying they would be delivered in a few days but nothing yet. Having said that I havent received any e mail saying they are not available or they are.

Or, I can just wait until we get to the Port where I undersand the porters will label them?

Our cruise will start march 16th.

I always have a list, with things that I think, I will need.

I started washing my summer shirts last weekend, orderd some new pants, have to shorten them to get summer pants.

About two weeks before the cruise I use my other half of the bed (DH sleeps in another room, but I still have a doublebed), I will sort out clothes out from the closet.

About a week before we travel, DH has to bring his clothes, and about 3 days before we fly I pack almost everything in the suitcases.

I check my list, and most of the cruises, I had everything I needed, okay sometimes more, than I could wear. But women, we never know what we want to wear, before we dress up for dinner.

For the cabintags I´m using older plastic luggage tags holders from Princess Cruises. I openend them and can use them over and over again.

BTW, even CC is offering the tag holders and you can order them in their shop.

We also do not split our clothes, DH has his own suitcase and I have my own. It´s much easier, especially when you have a precruise stay like we will have for 3 days in Miami.

Once their lost our luggage, but both suitcases. So it makes not sence, to split the clothes. Thats why we always travel 1-2 days earlier to departure port.

Sorry, if my english is not so good, but it´s not my motherlanguage.

Marita, from a cold part Germany, the southern part already has spring temperatures.

The check in thingy allowed me to order them and I had a little message come up saying they would be delivered in a few days but nothing yet. Having said that I havent received any e mail saying they are not available or they are.

Or, I can just wait until we get to the Port where I undersand the porters will label them?

Yes it does allow you to order them on your check in page but they won't arrive....unless the supplier probs have been sorted out, but I don't think they have.

Either print the paper ones out or wait until the port....but I like at least two labels on my cases so I print them out.

Usually the packing is all done at least two weeks before departure, sometimes even earlier.........like 4 weeks for our upcoming trip. Just a few little odds and ends to drop in at the last moment.

I use a multi-multi paged packing list that I have customized for our particular travel needs........it gets up dated every once in a while.

We start "staging" for a trip several weeks ahead of time - laying out clothes, snacks, meds, accessories, sports stuff, etc. in the spare room. I usually have to prod the DH towards the end to get the last of his stuff in there.

I even pack a few days ahead of time to ensure we will be able to fit everything in our carryons if that's the way we're planning (as it usually is).

Ann

One question I do have is how many of you divide your clothes between each of your cases in case one of them goes missing on your journey? This is something a good friend of ours does on every trip, but so far we have only put a change of clothes for one day in each other's case. I also never put my medication in checked luggage and always take it in my hand luggage. Likewise with cameras.

We will cross pack if we're checking two bags, but that rarely happens any more - mainly on non-US carriers that have more restrictive weight limits for carry on luggage. We always carry on a day or two of clothing, along with our valuable and essential items (or anything else that might be tempting to a thief, even if replacing wouldn't cost much, such as costume jewelry).

I start organizing fairly early but the actual packing is not done until the day before we leave to go to our park, sleep and fly hotel. I have a portable clothes rack that I put up in a spare bedroom and when I get things ironed, I hang them there. Underwear and other things are laid out on the bed well beforehand...at least two weeks.

I too pack half and half in case one of the bags turns up missing and I've seen this happen to couples where one of them has lost a bag, and literally has nothing to wear. :eek: If we're arriving a couple days before we cruise, I put our clothes for those days in a carry on so I don't have to dig through one of the larger bags.

DH does not pack...actually, I won't let him...lol ;) I'm quite fussy about how things are folded and packed. At the end of our vacation, DH does just about all of the packing...rolling up dirty clothes and putting them into large plastic bags.

I also have a list and try to stick to it. Of course the list does change from time to time, depending on the destination.

Aren't you glad you asked? :D ;)

This is great advice, because Swissair (in 2006) lost some of our luggage and my daughter and I had to wear the same clothes and shoes we wore on the plane (we left LA) in Cairo for three days. Then it was found and delivered. (Naturally, my husband's bag(s) came through just fine and he doesn't care if he's wearing the same thing in three days worth of photos!). I've also had bags lost by AA for a day or so, and then delivered to my home, but it was at the end of the trip so I didn't care so much. Then I was just in a rush this May 2015, my husband and I were flying to Venice from LA via Lufthansa, and I didn't split our clothes and shoes. So naturally, my bags went missing (why is it never my husband's bags?!?) so I had to wear the same thing in Venice for 2 1/2 days and it was a bit cold and rainy, but I didn't have my jackets... Luckily the bags have not, thus far, turned out to be stolen and I have always gotten them back in time for ship departures or other departures. But it's anxiety provoking. SO, ALWAYS SPLIT UP YOUR STUFF!!! I forget what cruise we were on, but for one honeymoon couple, the new bride didn't have her clothes/shoes/luggage for the entire cruise, poor thing!

I use packing cubes, really help a lot

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30235115/

One small cube always comes in my carry on, it can take a change of underwear, a night top, a t shirt (I choose a smarter one) a sun dress and a swim suit if I am in warmer climes. It takes up very little space and would enable me to keep going if the worst case arose. I travel in shoes and also have a pair of flip flops in my carry on. I also carry a similar cube for DH underwear, short sleeved shirt, one pair light weight shorts but no additional shoes, his choice - total weight of all this is around 2kg so no issues even in the most restrictive of airlines.

Like Phil I have a generic list, the trick is edit just before you leave to include what you have with you (would be useful if heaven forbid your case went missing) and edit it again as soon as you come home adding anything you really wish you had and (more usually) removing items that you took that you really did not need. That way your list is always valid. Sadly I keep three lists - hot places, mid temp and cold cruises - that's what happens when you are a serial cruiser.

Packing is often very late for me because of business trips, but I check the list a few weeks before and make sure everyone is clean, ironed, still fits (usually the biggest issue) and they are moved together in the wardrobe and one drawer

Edited by uktog

Hi everyone and thanks for all your help and comments on the packing issue.

Well today, is Saturday 5 February (3 weeks to go) and I spent this morning clearing out my wardrobes and drawers. All of my hanging clothes are hanging in the kitten room/beauty room/study (kitten room because I used to breed Siamese and Oriental cats and this was where mum had her babies until they were weaned and potty trained and were allowed free roam throughout the house although they were shut in the room when we went to bed. Beauty room because this room got converted into a mini salon when my daughter went to college to study Beauty and she practised on me and her friends (she now is 27 and has her own salon!) and study room as this is where I did my study in property law and now finally the spare room with desk and computer and "junk" - oh and cat radiator beds for my Siamese boy and Sphinx girl.

Oh I digress sorry - I have already put those clothes that don't crease into a packing cube i.e. knickers and swimming stuff. Its all going to fit that's for sure but its the weight of the toiletries could be a problem. Oh well we will see. I can always use up half of my husband's case. (lol).

Hi everyone and thanks for all your help and comments on the packing issue.

Well today, is Saturday 5 February (3 weeks to go) and I spent this morning clearing out my wardrobes and drawers. All of my hanging clothes are hanging in the kitten room/beauty room/study (kitten room because I used to breed Siamese and Oriental cats and this was where mum had her babies until they were weaned and potty trained and were allowed free roam throughout the house although they were shut in the room when we went to bed. Beauty room because this room got converted into a mini salon when my daughter went to college to study Beauty and she practised on me and her friends (she now is 27 and has her own salon!) and study room as this is where I did my study in property law and now finally the spare room with desk and computer and "junk" - oh and cat radiator beds for my Siamese boy and Sphinx girl.

Oh I digress sorry - I have already put those clothes that don't crease into a packing cube i.e. knickers and swimming stuff. Its all going to fit that's for sure but its the weight of the toiletries could be a problem. Oh well we will see. I can always use up half of my husband's case. (lol).

Josie,

Another thing that works well for me is using tissue paper when I fold the ironed clothing. The soft fold marks fall out after a day or two. I also use the 3oz. Travel bottles for shampoo, etc. to help keep the weight down and only take as much as I'm going to use. Good luck.

Don't forget there is the free self-service laundry room (soap is included), so you will be able to do some washing. Also on our last cruise Azamara offered a two day special, about half- eat through a 16 day cruise, of a bag of laundry for$30, and it's amazing how much stuff you can pack in a bag. It all comes back beautifully pressed and either folded or on hangers.

Don't forget there is the free self-service laundry room (soap is included), so you will be able to do some washing. Also on our last cruise Azamara offered a two day special, about half- eat through a 16 day cruise, of a bag of laundry for$30, and it's amazing how much stuff you can pack in a bag. It all comes back beautifully pressed and either folded or on hangers.

On Quest last month the $30 bags were washed and folded only - it was very clear on the promotional materials sent to the rooms that that was how it would be returned. It would work well if you have a lot of items that do not need pressing. If you need it pressed, use your Le Club Voyage vouchers for that laundry.

Wondering how MUCH to pack?

34 days around the Mediterranean - no formal wear required.

How many different outfits for day, and how many for dinner?

Trying to decide what to take - help!

I actually prepared an A3 spreadsheet and made a row for every day which showed the expected high and low temperatures (I plagarised the temperatures this from another forum member but prepared my own spreadsheet.)

I listed the times of departure from home and ETA at the airport. Times of take off from airport and arrive etc etc. I also listed out on every day, whether we have an excursion planned and the sea days and then marked those days when I would like to go to the speciality restaurants (we want to book the Chefs Table Plus 4 - we are on a 16 nighter). I was then able to gauge those casual clothes and those evening clothes where I would want to wear a nice dress to the Chefs Table and the 2 special restaurants and a more casual attire to the MDR or what I wanted to wear to the Azamazing Evening.

I now have my pretty much completed list and from that I have been able to plan the pjs I need, underwear etc.

I then went from there but as said before you can always go to the self service laundry or send out. For me I expect to have to go to the self service laundry with all of our underwear and easy iron stuff but havent ruled out using the $30 bag too. There will probably be a couple of my husband's trousers and my linen trousers which we would ask to be washed and ironed for a charge of course.

We depart 2 weeks this coming Saturday and all of my hanging clothes are hanging up ready for packing (although I may have to re-think what actually goes into the case because of the weight restrictions.

Problem is with the weight restrictions, its not really the clothes its all the toiletries, my hair dryer, my ghds, my cosmetics, these all weigh a lot.

OMG I have forgotten something - I havent even started on what shoes with what outfit............... back to the drawing board.

Oh No!!!!!!!! What about the handbags - I had forgotten those too.

Good luck - if you want to see my spread sheet please let me have your e mail address (I am not sure how to attach it to the thread).

What I do to get rid of wrinkles after arrival is to hang clothes in the bathroom and run a hot shower (in a hotel, I let the tub fill, too) to steam up the room. Leave the clothes there for 20 minutes or so. Works pretty well, even with linen.

I actually prepared an A3 spreadsheet and made a row for every day which showed the expected high and low temperatures (I plagarised the temperatures this from another forum member but prepared my own spreadsheet.)

I listed the times of departure from home and ETA at the airport. Times of take off from airport and arrive etc etc. I also listed out on every day, whether we have an excursion planned and the sea days and then marked those days when I would like to go to the speciality restaurants (we want to book the Chefs Table Plus 4 - we are on a 16 nighter). I was then able to gauge those casual clothes and those evening clothes where I would want to wear a nice dress to the Chefs Table and the 2 special restaurants and a more casual attire to the MDR or what I wanted to wear to the Azamazing Evening.

I now have my pretty much completed list and from that I have been able to plan the pjs I need, underwear etc.

I then went from there but as said before you can always go to the self service laundry or send out. For me I expect to have to go to the self service laundry with all of our underwear and easy iron stuff but havent ruled out using the $30 bag too. There will probably be a couple of my husband's trousers and my linen trousers which we would ask to be washed and ironed for a charge of course.

We depart 2 weeks this coming Saturday and all of my hanging clothes are hanging up ready for packing (although I may have to re-think what actually goes into the case because of the weight restrictions.

Problem is with the weight restrictions, its not really the clothes its all the toiletries, my hair dryer, my ghds, my cosmetics, these all weigh a lot.

OMG I have forgotten something - I havent even started on what shoes with what outfit............... back to the drawing board.

Oh No!!!!!!!! What about the handbags - I had forgotten those too.

Good luck - if you want to see my spread sheet please let me have your e mail address (I am not sure how to attach it to the thread).

Wow, you are organized! I'm am impressed and yet my method is to wait until the last minute to pack. Sometime maybe I'll become a packing planner!

The one thing you don't need to pack is a hairdryer, unless you simply like yours more than ours.

Wow, you are organized! I'm am impressed and yet my method is to wait until the last minute to pack. Sometime maybe I'll become a packing planner!

The one thing you don't need to pack is a hairdryer, unless you simply like yours more than ours.

I dont think the hairdryers will be powerful enough. I think I read on the forum their wattage is quite low - Mine is a 2600 PRO one which has that sort of thing that reduces frizz. Bit I am thinking of buying a travel one that has 2000 wattage.

On Quest last month the $30 bags were washed and folded only - it was very clear on the promotional materials sent to the rooms that that was how it would be returned. It would work well if you have a lot of items that do not need pressing. If you need it pressed, use your Le Club Voyage vouchers for that laundry.

That's strange. On Quest in December the shirts in the laundry in a bag came back pressed and on hangers. I wonder if that was because our bag was free as it was one of our LCV benefits?

That's strange. On Quest in December the shirts in the laundry in a bag came back pressed and on hangers. I wonder if that was because our bag was free as it was one of our LCV benefits?

Yes as I said in the original post, if it with a LCV voucher it will be pressed and back on hangers but as all the flyers and in the Pursuits stated (I will try and scan ours later) the $30 bag is washed and folded ONLY (their capitals and underline)