No more Captain's table

Livin Life

I just don't consider it a cut back or a lose when it affects less than a % of the total passenger capacity on a single sailing. The negativity is coming from the OP who basically started another doom and gloom Celebrity cut back thread.

It was your 'elitist' comment that caught my attention. I won't exactly shed a tear if it's gone but I wouldn't call it elitist. Nice touch maybe but not elitist.

With the change in the Formal Evenings, why are people surprised? I wonder what those cruisers will do who used to beg for a chance to eat at the Captain's Table.

Edited by keesar

I have enjoyed the experience several times. I imagine if the captain / officers will be hosting tables around the ship in different restaurants the experience will be even better. It is all part of modernisation I guess

Ian

• 1 month later...

Sorry to revive the thread, but I have a question.

Since they have changed the dress code to no more formal, if something happened that we were invited to dine with the Captain, should a suit be packed? In other words, would less formal attire be all right for those who have done it since the rule change? Thanks.:)

While the Captain's Table on Formal night in the MDR is gone, there still are several hosted events. You can see the Officers and their guests if you are eating in Luminae or one of the other restaurants, and when they meet for pre-dinner cocktails. It has been my observation that most of the guests do dress up for the occasion.

Last night we dined with the Captain on the Solstice in the MDR in a very traditional way....so nice! I believe, from comments of others, Officers have hosted tables in other venues also.

We were advised by Rose (Captains Club host) that it was 'chic' night and that suits were not required. Everyone at the table was smartly dressed, however, with the men in either in suits or sports jacket with shirt and tie. If you did not have tie and jacket I am sure it would no longer matter. On a personal note I took my 'posh frock' out of its bag to find a stain on the front and had to resort to my 'little black frock' and a bit more bling! Such are the problems of cruising!

As others have said it is a really nice treat when it is offered...

Last night we dined with the Captain on the Solstice in the MDR in a very traditional way....so nice! I believe, from comments of others, Officers have hosted tables in other venues also.

We were advised by Rose (Captains Club host) that it was 'chic' night and that suits were not required. Everyone at the table was smartly dressed, however, with the men in either in suits or sports jacket with shirt and tie. If you did not have tie and jacket I am sure it would no longer matter. On a personal note I took my 'posh frock' out of its bag to find a stain on the front and had to resort to my 'little black frock' and a bit more bling! Such are the problems of cruising!

As others have said it is a really nice treat when it is offered...

Thanks so much, Chemmo, for your thoughtful answer.:)

I need to check out what 'frocks' to bring (love that term!) and get the Mr. a nice sport coat.

Fingers crossed that we will be invited!:) Not expected, but very much appreciated.;)

My wife & i were invited to the captains table 10 times on Celebrity;but never on all the other cruise lines. The first time meant the most to us. We have been invited to the control room 4 times when our host was the chief engineer. We never book a suite.

We have been once to the Captain's table on Solstice, with Captain Taramas that was on the Might Ships show. We also had the officer in charge of food and beverage at the table.

We enjoyed it. The wine was very smooth, and the food was the same menu as the rest of the MDR.

The conversation at any table longer than 4 or 6 is always going to be hard to talk to everyone, even on the ten top we were on for our normal seating.

Do we think we are better, more special, a class above? Whatever reverse snobbery term anyone feels like using? No. We just enjoyed it. We felt fortunate to be invited and have that type of experience.

Some of the same terms are used when putting down people that have earned a loyalty status by being loyal. We, along with many others we have spoken to, would like to see the term "elite" changed as a status level. In reality we don't think we are elite or above others, we just think we are being given perks that were promised to us if we booked a certain number of cruise nights in a system offered by the company. They don't know what or who we are, they just take the money and give us a bit of laundry, internet and drinks etc. We enjoy those loyalty functions as well, as we have met some lovely people there, as well as in the buffet, or by the pool, or at a meet and mingle.

Good luck to those that are glad it is gone as you never wanted to go (even if it looks like it probably has just moved). If that makes you happy, I am all for people being happy and enjoying stuff they like to do, but can't understand at being happy at something possibly being taken away from those that would enjoy the experience, just because you perceived that made them think they were some special snob. Sheesh.

This was a CHUCKLE! I recognize 2 of the 3, but could be wrong. Is the heavier gentleman a doctor (that's if anyone knows) or is this an opportunity photo?

No, I think the "heavier gentleman" is Captain Zisis (sp?)Taramas, one of the two Masters of Solstice. I sailed with him on my 2014 Sydney to HI transpacific. He's not very social, seems a bit uncomfortable hobnobbing, but was often found dining at the buffet with a few other officers. And my impression of him and comments aren't meant to be a knock, but I have to say the overall atmosphere of that cruise seemed to reflect his personality. Fewer officers interacting, crew less smiley, more reserved (no Dancing with the Stripes!)...just a more subdued air.

The Captain's replacement, Captain Berdos (sp?), came aboard on our first day in Honolulu, the day before turnaround day, and I saw him (wearing civvies)walking through the buffet and crew there were coming up to him, welcoming him aboard and smiling and laughing. The 2nd leg, from HI to Vancouver, felt as if someone had turned on the energy switch.

Edited by ThursdaysChild

We have been once to the Captain's table on Solstice, with Captain Taramas that was on the Might Ships show. We also had the officer in charge of food and beverage at the table.

We enjoyed it. The wine was very smooth, and the food was the same menu as the rest of the MDR.

The conversation at any table longer than 4 or 6 is always going to be hard to talk to everyone, even on the ten top we were on for our normal seating.

Do we think we are better, more special, a class above? Whatever reverse snobbery term anyone feels like using? No. We just enjoyed it. We felt fortunate to be invited and have that type of experience.

Some of the same terms are used when putting down people that have earned a loyalty status by being loyal. We, along with many others we have spoken to, would like to see the term "elite" changed as a status level. In reality we don't think we are elite or above others, we just think we are being given perks that were promised to us if we booked a certain number of cruise nights in a system offered by the company. They don't know what or who we are, they just take the money and give us a bit of laundry, internet and drinks etc. We enjoy those loyalty functions as well, as we have met some lovely people there, as well as in the buffet, or by the pool, or at a meet and mingle.

Good luck to those that are glad it is gone as you never wanted to go (even if it looks like it probably has just moved). If that makes you happy, I am all for people being happy and enjoying stuff they like to do, but can't understand at being happy at something possibly being taken away from those that would enjoy the experience, just because you perceived that made them think they were some special snob. Sheesh.

Very well said! And my sentiments exactly.

When I think back about our one experience at the Captain's table,

I smile and can't believe that we actually had that experience.

Elite? No. :rolleyes: Just happy to have been invited.;)

This month we had dinner at Tuscan Grille with 4 other couples and one of the officers. Friends had dinner with the captain at Qsine. One of our nights in Luminea we saw a officer having dinner with a group of passengers. I like the new system. It seems like more passengers will have dinner with the captain or officers.

Not at all. You are under no obligation to accept.

We refused our first invitation about four years ago on the Equinox.

We had lovely table companions in the MDR, also our table was right next to the Captains table,and felt we should dine with our new friends.

But we have accepted twice since and have found the experience lovely, very interesting conversations from officers and fellow passengers.BY the way we were in standard cabins both times.

Some people have a need to feel important and I guess this captain table made them feel important.

It was a tradition, and yes kinda fun one time and yes you do feel special.

In my last invite to the Captains table, I tried to not accept, but they would not truly let me, for my reasons, "dress" heck they offered me a coat and what ever so we went. However if you set across the table you are not really in the conversation. I had a good time talking to a pretty high ranking lady in a WOW gown and we both did not eat much, food was no better than the tables behind us, wine did not flow very fast

Edited by north29

It was a tradition, and yes kinda fun one time and yes you do feel special.

In my last invite to the Captains table, I tried to not accept, but they would not truly let me, for my reasons, "dress" heck they offered me a coat and what ever so we went. However if you set across the table you are not really in the conversation. I had a good time talking to a pretty high ranking lady in a WOW gown and we both did not eat much, food was no better than the tables behind us, wine did not flow very fast

Last time at the Captain's table, they surprised us with a special menu. Completely different from what they were having in the MDR, plus for us, the wine flowed very freely.

Who cares about dining with the captain? What a waste of time.

It can be. We met some very nice people at the Captain's Table. It does take up some of your time. You typically meet early and have a cocktail and meet everyone attending that night's dinner with the Captain or other ship officer. We ate 3 times at Captain's table over the years and each was different.

I personally use to joke that I did not want to eat at the Captain's table on the second formal night, which was usually the Lobster night. It would not have looked good asking for 3rds or 4ths of Lobster. :) Now there is hardly a lobster to be seen. Wine was good.

Anyway, I can see they need the space as it was only used on formal nights and left empty on other nights.

We did also once many years ago eat with a two senior officers in the small dining room off the USS United States restaurant on Infinity.

Edited by shipshape sam

Last time at the Captain's table, they surprised us with a special menu. Completely different from what they were having in the MDR, plus for us, the wine flowed very freely.

I have enjoyed special menus, but maybe on that last nigh, I had a stingy Captain, or maybe we had a bunch of prohibitionist at the table, or my idea of free flowing wine is different. LOL

Who cares about dining with the captain? What a waste of time.

We have done it many times with Captains, Chief Engineers, Hotel Directors, junior officers, etc., and the main bonus is that they buy the booze!

Nowadays many people are on a drinks package, so that is not such a perk!

We have refused invitations in the past when we have had other dining arrangements in mind, without any embarrassment on anyone's part.

Someone on board checks the guest list for repeat passengers, Penthouse occupants, and people who may not be too boring at dinner, to be invited.

We have had an invitation on the strength of a quip I made to a passing officer on a strange line we had never sailed with before. If they write down your name and cabin number you know you're in for something be it good or bad!

On one Costa cruise, we dined with the Captain every night, as he insisted on eating in the MDR with his wife/mistress, and their table was right next to us within chatting distance. We had a great week.

Edited by Bollinge