Has anyone gotten a HAL survey?

tooalto

I just got one in an email yesterday. It was asking me to complete a short survey and then be entered into a contest for a gift card or free cruise. Everything checked out as far as factual from the email, logo, address, phone numbers, etc. I started to do the survey but then, after completing less than 1/4 of it, it said thank you and submit. There were no questions asking for any personal info at all , just normal "why do you cruise", "how often", etc. I just found it curious, especially when it cut me off so quickly.

If no one else here has gotten this, I'll forward it on the HAL in case it's some sort of phishing.

I got it..filled it out...it took awhile as I went all the way through. Big problem though. Early on I made a mistake about how many cruises I had been on ( I added an extra zero) and it vexed me throughout the entire survey because I couldn't go back and correct the mistake. My question is this: Has anyone ever gotten any freebies that they say you are in the running for? Thanks.

I got the survey yesterday, and did it this afternoon; took about 32-33 minutes. I qualify for the free cruise! Yippee!

I agree that N/A should have been an option for many of the segments. I also had a huge problem where two questions were combined into one, with an "and" in between. Many times I would have answered differently for each portion of the question.

I did not get the sense HAL was looking to get rid of the library, which one other poster did, although there were questions about using the library. I wondered if some of the questions were different depending on answers to questions on a previous page. Wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened.

I did get the sense that there are changes under consideration, and HAL is looking for confirmation of what to go with, and what to get rid of.

:(:confused: I got 95% thru the survey and some kind of page warning of a virus popped up and cut me off. Said something about going back to the original message to complete it but It just went back to square one after almost a half hour of answering their questions. I have no idea whether it went to HAL or not.

I received the survey yesterday, and did complete the entire thing. My survey seemed to be indicating that they are going to tie the onboard experience more closely to the ports. I don't recall library questions. :confused: I too wish some of the questions had had an N/A as a choice.

They kept asking about our most recent cruise, which wasn't typical and was on the Statendam, a ship that was sold. I would have liked a section for comments, as many surveys allow...not that I take that many. I took the survey because HAL has been generous with perks for us in the past and I hope that I can give suggestions. It would be nice to win something!:)

Karen

Just spent 52 minutes doing the survey.

Sounds like we are getting different surveys.

There definitely needs to be a "N/A" choice. I ended up putting in a lot of zeros as it would not let me continue unless I put in some kind of number.

Our cabin category wasn't even a selection for our most recent cruise!!

And I resented that they asked for our yearly income. I don't feel it is HAL's business what our income is.

But I am right there with thousands of others to "not" win anything.

Sounds like different questions on different surveys. It took about 30 minutes for me. The survey designers could have done a much better job and one that would ensure that HAL got accurate answers. N/A was needed in some cases and you had to give some info to move on so those points will not be accurate. Certainly, income question should have had an option to "prefer not to answer". I, and some others, did not answer this accurately feeling it was none of anyone's business. Again, HAL is not getting the full value of the survey. On another box asking how many days over the past two years we vacationed, it only allowed a two digit answer--again not accurate.

Perhaps they need a few CCers to look over things like this to make suggestions that would enhance the accuracy of the information they are seeking.

I got the survey and filled it out. I got all the way through, they only asked about income at the very end. Whatever.

They did ask about how much I spent on vacations in the last 5 years. I'm not sure that was a disqualifier though as others have reported getting booted out and I am pretty sure they have spent more than me.

Kids didn't seem to be a factor as I have none and I still made it through.

Some of the last questions asking about what I thought about ideas for the future I liked.

I actually liked filling out this survey-took about 15 minutes. I felt as if they wanted my opinion on things going forward rather than just gathering vague data.

Anyways, I won't win the free cruise but it wasn't a complete waste of time.

DH and I each got one. We were both cut off before 25% finished. There were a few questions having to do with children (we don't have children at home now) and I wondered if that was the reason we were cut off early, but it could have been anything.

Both DH and I received the survey request which we duly filled in (took about 25 minutes but I didn't deliberate too long over anything) but there was nothing about going in a draw. Instead it said HAL would make a donation to cancer research for every survey completed. Did no one else receive this one? We are in Australia - perhaps that was the difference.

We were not cut off anywhere - we don't have children at home now either. It would be interesting to know why this happened. Perhaps because the person had cruised little with Holland America? I don't know.

Ozcruizer

Sounds like different questions on different surveys. It took about 30 minutes for me. The survey designers could have done a much better job and one that would ensure that HAL got accurate answers. N/A was needed in some cases and you had to give some info to move on so those points will not be accurate. Certainly, income question should have had an option to "prefer not to answer". I, and some others, did not answer this accurately feeling it was none of anyone's business. Again, HAL is not getting the full value of the survey. On another box asking how many days over the past two years we vacationed, it only allowed a two digit answer--again not accurate.

Perhaps they need a few CCers to look over things like this to make suggestions that would enhance the accuracy of the information they are seeking.

Totally agree with everything you said.

Ours started out as "Dear Mariner" -- not directed to either one of us.

It indicated that once we completed the survey we would be entered to win either one of twenty $50 gift cards or a 7 day Caribbean cruise.

We don't have any children. And got through that area. Also got past the part about my age (and I am well over the hill).

we received one, mine, and i got through the whole.

I got the impression that hal may be thinking of getting rid of the exploration's cafe or at least the library part.

It was a more professional survey that i am used to receiving from hal: More detailed with fewer generalized questions.

ahoy shipmates

was also shortened in replies.....survey was not created by hal but done for hal by a professional co. Hired by hal'

i guess after that last big fiasco news conference they had they need to do some homework .

Sea ya

I got a survey - DH did not. If they paid an outside firm to do this - possibly it was done by folks who do not understand cruising - and maybe need to understand a little more about survey writing.

As a former educator the wording of many questions made my hair stand on end because they weren't clear and the English was not always great.

I, too, as others have stated could not properly represent the number of days we vacationed in the last two years because we were limited to two digits -

And oh, did they need a NA column on many questions.

I also found that the specifics they wanted on cruises I've taken in the last five years difficult because they were very specific - I had to look up old records and am still not sure I answered accurately.

Well, maybe I will win a cruise .... But when I tried to pull up the terms of the contest rules at the end of the survey - that page was blank ... But I foolishly agreed to the contest terms anyway.

Both DH and I received the survey request which we duly filled in (took about 25 minutes but I didn't deliberate too long over anything) but there was nothing about going in a draw. Instead it said HAL would make a donation to cancer research for every survey completed. Did no one else receive this one? We are in Australia - perhaps that was the difference.

We were not cut off anywhere - we don't have children at home now either. It would be interesting to know why this happened. Perhaps because the person had cruised little with Holland America? I don't know.

Ozcruizer

I believe the draw is only available to residents of the US and Canada. I guess the cancer research donation is for Aussie residents.

I found out yesterday that DM did not receive the survey at all, only I did.

I received the survey and completed it fully.

In one of my former jobs I designed and conducted telephone surveys and I have to say that I was not impressed with this one from HAL. As others have pointed out, they should have had a "N/A" (or similar) option on some questions, while on others there was unnecessary boxes to fill out (thus wasting time).

I suspect that this was set up "in house", as a professional survey company would have deigned a more efficient and comprehensive survey.

While it my not seem so, the way you ask a question, the options you provide and even the order of the questions can significantly impact the survey results.

Ozcruizer

I didn't see anything about cancer research. It would be interesting to hear from other Australians, as it seems to be something only you got.

So many have posted now that they got through the whole survey (and also do not have children at home), I realize that can't be the reason DH and I were booted out at under 25%. :) We got past the age, income, number of days' vacation etc.

It seems that most who were cut off was at 20-25% and I can't remember the last question now. :confused:

I didn't see anything about cancer research. It would be interesting to hear from other Australians, as it seems to be something only you got.

So many have posted now that they got through the whole survey (and also do not have children at home), I realize that can't be the reason DH and I were booted out at under 25%. :) We got past the age, income, number of days' vacation etc.

It seems that most who were cut off was at 20-25% and I can't remember the last question now. :confused:

I wonder if the reward difference is due to laws restricting lotteries, drawings etc.