Back of ship on jewel??

Dave4120

Hello...We are currently in a D1 stateroom for our upcoming cruise on the Jewel at the end of April, right after it's refurb.

We are on the 9th floor, but see that cabin 7172 has become available at the back of the ship on the 7th deck.

We understand the engines are at the back of the ship, and, it could be noisier because of the engines, along with more rumbling and rocking and up and down motion. However, since we've never been on the back of the ship, we thought it might be nice to try since our cruise is a Transatlantic ending in Rome, Italy.

Can anyone provide me with any experience on the back of this ship, or any other ship, and, your thoughts as to whether or not switching to this cabin might be worth the experience?

Thanks

Dave

It's no noisier than anywhere...the engines aren't hanging off the back of the ship! They are way below the lowest passenger deck! But...this class ship does have vibration towards the aft....I find it quite annoying. Others don't mind it at all.

The aft balconies are much deeper than any on the sides of the ship. It is a VERY long walk to and from the cabin, tho...also an annoyance!!

Not cabin related...

There is some wonderful outdoor seating at the Wind Jammer. We did not find it until day 2. We never missed a day after that. One evening we enjoyed some of the best damn chicken wings ever at the WJ. They were severed in a wok that was 3-4' wide.

Thanks for the information so far. I guess the vibration will affect some people more than others. Obviously, from what I'm reading, Deck 7 in general, seems to be noisier than other decks because of so many bars, theater, etc below.

Maybe staying on the 9th deck with our current cabin, or hoping for a different cabin on the 9th or 8th deck is a better option if something opens up.

Thanks for the information so far. I guess the vibration will affect some people more than others. Obviously, from what I'm reading, Deck 7 in general, seems to be noisier than other decks because of so many bars, theater, etc below.

Maybe staying on the 9th deck with our current cabin, or hoping for a different cabin on the 9th or 8th deck is a better option if something opens up.

We were in cabin 8168 and loved it! There was some vibration but nothing overly bothersome. The corner aft balconies are the best :)

the long walk will help keep the cruise pounds off. The engines are more towards the middle of the ship so throughout the ship you hear a hum. Aft balconies are great, love sitting out looking at the wake. I don't mind the ship movement so if you're sensitive you may want to go with a balcony amidship. I wouldn't take a balcony over the lounge, as it can be noisy with bingo, art auctions, Quest, top tier events, etc.

We had an Aft booked on a Jewel Transatlantic, we received an upgrade to a JR. Suite.

It was not good. The cabin was on the side and all the way across the Atlantic it was in the shade. We never used it, it was too cold. The Aft Balconies have sun most of the time and no wind. I never give up my Aft Cabin again.

We understand the engines are at the back of the ship, and, it could be noisier because of the engines, along with more rumbling and rocking and up and down motion. However, since we've never been on the back of the ship, we thought it might be nice to try since our cruise is a Transatlantic ending in Rome, Italy.

Here is a quote from Capt MacDonald's interview on Jewel 0f the Seas:

"An Environmentally-friendly Ship

Jewel’s elegance is not limited to her décor but extends also to her

technology. Her main power plant consists of two gas turbine

engines. “I think worldwide there are only the four here and the four

Celebrity [Millennium class] ships - - all under the Royal Caribbean

umbrella - - that have the turbines. They are very powerful and they

are also environmentally friendly with very low emissions. That has

won the ship awards in places like Stockholm, Sweden and gives the

ship ‘clean ship’ recognition, which is a good thing. And they are

quiet. We get a lot of compliments on these ships. There are no

mechanical connections with these turbines - - we are turbine/electric

- - so they are very quiet ships.”"

So I would say no vibrations as you would get from a traditional ship's diesel!

Jewel of the Seas is our favorite ship in the RCI fleet.

See the entire article here: http://www.beyondships.com/RCI-JOS-MacDonald.html

Edited by Scotty G

We had that cabin for our Panama Canal cruise and it was perfect! I would book that cabin again in a heart beat. Yes, it was over a bar, but we only noticed a little bit of noise on just one evening, when we went back to the cabin early, but it was quiet by 10 or so. We had fun will all our neighbors, and are still friends with a few from that trip. We never minded the walk, and loved the bigger balcony.

I think you might be missing a lovely opportunity by not taking it. If you look at the newer ships, they are all suites and lofts because there is a higher demand for that location.

We have stayed in 1100 on the Jewel. Did not notice noise in cabin. We did however not like the long walk back and forth. If you forgot to bring something it was a long walk back to get it.

LOVE the 1100...Is it worth the walk = YES. I'm walking on a cruise ship to my favorite true aft cabin !!:D:D

Thank you for the pictures of 7172's balcony. We have been lucky enough to secure one aft balcony, 7408 on Liberty, throughout our cruising. This aft balcony is different than what I had in my mind.

Edited by slg1979

We were on Jewel in September on Deck 7 about 10 cabins up from the aft cabins on the port side. We didn't notice any vibrations at all. Aft cabins are very hard to come by so if you have the chance, grab it! We snagged our first aft balcony on our upcoming b2b (29 days) on Radiance and I'm beyond excited!

Well, I was able to secure cabin 7172 on the Jewel. Everyone has convinced us that this cabin is well worth it, especially since we will be one of the first cruisers on the Jewel right after its Dry-docl completion.

From what I've read, our cabin and balcony will pretty much be brand new and before we sail on April 28th, there is only a 3 or 4 day cruise before ours, so, that should make this cruise even more special.

Not sure if an aft opens up on deck 9 we should switch to one of those cabins, but in any event, we are very happy with our choice and will enjoy so many days at sea.

Dave

We have also sailed in 7172 on Jewel. We heard the bass from the music below most nights until around 11, though at least one night, it was much later. We loved the balcony, it is only as deep as a lounge chair at its deepest and then tapers off, but plenty of space for two.

We would definitely book this cabin again but would choose a different deck if one was available. Would pick this cabin any day over a hump cabin on this class ship, centrum noise is 1,000 times worse than the noise issue in 7172. Made that mistake on Brilliance, never again.:)

We were in 9656 on Jewel this past September - that's a 2 BR suite, starboard corner aft. The balcony was smaller than other suite balconies we've had and a bit of an odd shape...kind of like a pie wedge. I think the other corner aft cabins might have odd shaped balconies as well. But it was big enough for 2 loungers, a table, and 2 chairs, so it was certainly big enough for the 4 of us in the suite.

We really never heard much of anything on the balcony except the sound of the water and the wind and it was lovely. If there was any vibration, it wasn't enough for us to notice. Our location was very quiet. I'd definitely do another aft balcony on Jewel!!

Judy