Chic Nights

florence11

I have just purchased new suitcases ready for my cruise in April. I am just wondering what people are wearing on the so called "Chic" nights. We are flying from the UK and do have a weight limit but I do like the formal night, so will miss them but am hoping that some effort is being made. Is there anyone with any pictures they could show me.

Thanks

I have just purchased new suitcases ready for my cruise in April. I am just wondering what people are wearing on the so called "Chic" nights. We are flying from the UK and do have a weight limit but I do like the formal night, so will miss them but am hoping that some effort is being made. Is there anyone with any pictures they could show me.

Thanks

There are numerous threads on the topic, but I don't recall seeing much if anything in the way of current photos. Your post suggests that your tastes are more upscale, so I wouldn't hesitate to suggest that you take whatever you'd feel comfortable wearing.

I do like to make an effort even when we have gone on holidays in a resort I follow the dress code. I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb and don't like to be the centre of attention, but I think there will be a sort of formal wear in there.

There are numerous threads on the topic, but I don't recall seeing much if anything in the way of current photos. Your post suggests that your tastes are more upscale, so I wouldn't hesitate to suggest that you take whatever you'd feel comfortable wearing.
I totally agree.

On chic nights people were wearing anything and everything, from one end of the spectrum to the other.

As for pictures, we see time and again that when it comes to dress discussions most people very selectively post pictures to support their own personal preferences.

To give an accurate portrayal of chic night attire, someone would need to post photos showing the wide variety in styles of dress.

I would say to wear whatever makes you happy, and then enjoy the show looking around to see all the different outfits that others are wearing.

If you go with an open minded and accepting attitude, it really makes for a more interesting and enjoyable evening than when everyone is dressed the same way.

About 10% of folks still dress like formal nights. Most others dress in nice casual attire; slacks, dress shirts, golf shirts for men - sundresses, slacks, capris for the ladies.

Let me understand. Ninety percent of the passengers wear casual attire on Elegant Chic night? I thought elegant chic was supposed to be more like cocktail attire. That's what I plan on packing for an upcoming Eclipse cruise, but maybe I would be overdressed?

Let me understand. Ninety percent of the passengers wear casual attire on Elegant Chic night? I thought elegant chic was supposed to be more like cocktail attire. That's what I plan on packing for an upcoming Eclipse cruise, but maybe I would be overdressed?

Celebrity does not call it "elegant chic night". Celebrity calls the new suggested dress "Evening Chic". You won't be overdressed if that's how you elect to dress. Do it for yourself. We will be sailing on the Eclipse 3 April 2016 and plan on dressing in our formal wear on evening chick and if we are the only two so be it!

On elegant or chic nights there are several pro photographers set up throughout the public areas of the ship with various fancy or classic backdrops and benches. Many people dress up just to take advantage of getting a nice portrait done at that time. You might want to plan your wardrobes with that in mind, not just what everyone else might be wearing.

On elegant or chic nights there are several pro photographers set up throughout the public areas of the ship with various fancy or classic backdrops and benches. Many people dress up just to take advantage of getting a nice portrait done at that time. You might want to plan your wardrobes with that in mind, not just what everyone else might be wearing.

A couple notes...those ARE NOT professional photographers cruise lines hire, they just hire people and train them to shoot portraits, they usually do a good job but prior to being hired most knew nothing more about photography than your average Joe....I suspect chic night will remain very close to what formal night was on X for about a year or so because 95% of cruisers have never heard of Cruise Critic and won't read the dress info anyway to know there has been a change but slowly but surely things will change for the majority of cruisers who do not want to deal with playing dress up for no good reason....

SheriffJoe, I really like your "majority of cruisers who do not want to deal with playing dress up for no good reason" comment! Spot on! You are also right that formal over-dressing will eventually die out. Some will shift their business to Cunard, etc.

In January, on Silhouette, there was a wide range of dress on formal nights. The majority of women wore cocktail attire - little black dresses, black pants and sparkly tops. The most notable change was with the men - with many wearing long sleeved shirts, slacks, no jacket. There were a few in gowns and tuxes and a few who were dressed casually.

I wore black sparkly top and black silky ankle pants. My husband wore dress shirt and slacks and was thrilled to leave his jacket at home. We felt comfortable and appropriately dressed.

I never thought I would like Evening Chic but I love it! Though only 10% of people dressing up is an exaggeration IMO. There are always a lot of people who "dress up", more than 10%. Even on RCI most dress up. Shopping for Evening Chic is fun! Especially the shoes! Enjoy your cruise and whatever you wear, after all it's your cruise not some fashion police's cruise!;)

Just off the Reflection yesterday and Alexander, the cruise director, said to wear whatever makes you feel sexy. That's how he described it. I wore black evening trousers (these http://www.dillards.com/p/Alex-Evenings-WideLeg-Chiffon-Pants/501238968). On the first night I paired them with a crushed velvet top in deep burgundy, and on the second night with a gray chiffon tiered top. Both blouses had short, cap-style, sleeves. I saw ladies in cocktail dresses, and floor-length evening dresses. I also saw ladies in pants and tops that I would consider more appropriate for the other nights. However, every lady was clean and well put together, even if they wore capris and more casual blouses (not t-shirts). Also, I personally wore my hair up on the second night, because I realized that it made me feel more dressed up.

Edited by irishgal1970

My DH will wear a black jacket with an open collar dress shirt (no tie) instead of a tux or a suit (he'll wear the jacket on the plane anyway). I'll wear black or bronze silk pants with coordinating sparkly top. We'll look good & be comfortable as well. Wear what makes you happy

I still intend taking Formal Dresses on our cruise - just bought 3 new Long Evening dresses so I'm determined to get some wear out of them!

Don't worry I'm sure you won't be the only one's in Formal Wear:)

I'll be bringing mine too. And the most recent Celebrity cruise had about 40% of us in formal wear. Maybe not all tuxes, but suit and tie, and many of us ladies in our long dresses and bling. I'm not sure why so many here are trying to make it sound burdersome to pack the more formal wardrobe. It's not hard at all! It's actually fun.

Again, anything goes, but in my experience, the majority on Celebrity still dress with class. Yes, there are the Hawaiian shirt/flip flop crowd, but again in my experience they are in the minority.

Edited by Cruisen'Susan

Just off the Reflection yesterday and Alexander, the cruise director, said to wear whatever makes you feel sexy. That's how he described it. I wore black evening trousers (these http://www.dillards.com/p/Alex-Evenings-WideLeg-Chiffon-Pants/501238968). On the first night I paired them with a crushed velvet top in deep burgundy, and on the second night with a gray chiffon tiered top. Both blouses had short, cap-style, sleeves. I saw ladies in cocktail dresses, and floor-length evening dresses. I also saw ladies in pants and tops that I would consider more appropriate for the other nights. However, every lady was clean and well put together, even if they wore capris and more casual blouses (not t-shirts). Also, I personally wore my hair up on the second night, because I realized that it made me feel more dressed up.

Huh????

A couple notes...those ARE NOT professional photographers cruise lines hire, they just hire people and train them to shoot portraits, they usually do a good job but prior to being hired most knew nothing more about photography than your average Joe....

SheriffJoe, I just love your explanation of the photographer situation on the ships. Do you know how long those people they hire and train to shoot portraits on the ships have to do that job before they can be considered professional? l was just thinking that they got trained and paid for doing it and that kind of elevated their work from amateur into professional.

We usually buy a few of the pictures taken by the ship photographers -professional or amateur it's worth dressing nicely on chic night and posing for a few. What I don't like is when they bring the camera to the tables in the dining room.