Live...mostly...from Anthem

KarinaGW

No technology can predict the unpredictable..... you are absolutely correct on your 2 posts.... thanks for posting

I am a meterologist and the rapidly deepening cyclogenesis of this system has been modeled for days. That leads to 2 senarios. Both bad for the captain and RCI. They either knew about it and sailed into it anyways. Or they didnt know about it which would be one of the worst neglects by a passenger vessel in history.

Edited by clskinsfan

I was on Breakaway last month and the life jackets were in the rooms as well as at the muster stations and the lockers.

Sorry to hijack...but this is what I am used to. You don't bring them to muster, and they say if you are out and about not to go to your room in an emergency...get the best at the muster station. But they still had them in the rooms.

Hoping everyone on board is safe and calms seas approach fast.

I am on Anthem and there has been no talk about the ship being so badly damaged that we will be disembarking tomorrow.

Captain has said he has been to busy dealing with the storm to figure out what time we will be arriving in Port Canaveral.

What I heard at the muster drill was that the seas are always a little rough around Hattaras so be prepared for it. Never heard we would be going through a storm.. In fact the compass for the day said it was going to be partly cloudy

Well that's no use to anyone , unless that wall has been opened by crew member

Lifejacket lockers are NOT locked. I think the "wall of glass" comment may be suggestive of a lot of glass being nearby, that's all.

I can't get my head around this , it's too stupid for words . Just totally unsafe practice .

The idea is that muster is called long before the ship is truly at risk, and certainly LONG before any call to abandon ship is ordered. The time between step A and step B is when you get your lifejacket.

In the case of a real emergency where muster is called you should be going to your muster station and your jacket will be waiting there, NOT back down to your stateroom to get a lifejacket. If you happen to be IN your stateroom when muster is called, head to your station and get a jacket, you are highly unlikely to need it before that point, and highly unlikely to ever need it at all for that matter.

Fairly simple, IMHO.

Obviously a bad storm for everyone but did the Capt say almost a 45 degree list? I find that hard to believe, the ship would have been completely on it's side at 45 degrees. Even a 25 degree list would be very substantial on a cruise ship..

That said prayers for everyone's safety.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

A correction for me, 45 would be 1/2 way to laying on it's side however I still can't believe that number. I was just responding to what someone had posted. Yes I have seen the other thread as well.

They say at a 20 degree list it becomes very difficult to walk to get a perspective.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by snowbird1

Interesting... 11:15PM and I googled "Anthem of the Seas."

No news stories whatsoever.

The weather report on WESH in Orlando mentioned the storm and that the Anthem of the Seas was out there. He said it was an awful ride, they are headed for Port Canaveral, and they will be monitoring that story.

I am on Anthem and there has been no talk about the ship being so badly damaged that we will be disembarking tomorrow.

Captain has said he has been to busy dealing with the storm to figure out what time we will be arriving in Port Canaveral.

What I heard at the muster drill was that the seas are always a little rough around Hattaras so be prepared for it. Never heard we would be going through a storm.. In fact the compass for the day said it was going to be partly cloudy

Stay safe.

I am a meterologist and the rapidly deepening cyclogenysis of this system has been modeled for days. That leads to 2 senarios. Both bad for the captain and RCI. They either knew about it and sailed into it anyways. Or they didnt know about it which would be one of the worst neglects by a passenger vessel in history.

^What he said

This was not a "surprise storm". Captain had plenty of time to avoid it.

5-year-olds could see its exact course on weather radar websites and where it was headed.

Why was the Anthem there?

Omg we are on it now. Are you kidding me. Look at the darn radar. This things is getting flung like a rubber ducky..Uggh. looking for advice please help.

Thoughts and prayers for you guys tonight. ((((Hugs)))) sorry you are having to go through this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lifejacket lockers are NOT locked. I think the "wall of glass" comment may be suggestive of a lot of glass being nearby, that's all.

The idea is that muster is called long before the ship is truly at risk, and certainly LONG before any call to abandon ship is ordered. The time between step A and step B is when you get your lifejacket.

In the case of a real emergency where muster is called you should be going to your muster station and your jacket will be waiting there, NOT back down to your stateroom to get a lifejacket. If you happen to be IN your stateroom when muster is called, head to your station and get a jacket, you are highly unlikely to need it before that point, and highly unlikely to ever need it at all for that matter.

Fairly simple, IMHO.

in the case of a real list, there's not getting to your Muster station that quick. If the first protocol is to keep passengers in their cabins as is demonstrated here, they should have the duplication of life jackets in the cabins AND at muster as the other lines I've cruised on do.

Omg we are on it now. Are you kidding me. Look at the darn radar. This things is getting flung like a rubber ducky..Uggh. looking for advice please help.

If it helps try and think about the fact that the ship can handle this storm and much worse. Yes you are uncomfortable but you are safe. See if you can get your hands on some of the anti nausea medication they hand out on the ship, it will calm you down and make you sleepy. If you can fall asleep it will all be over when you wake up tomorrow.

I've always said it at CC before: These mega cruise ships cannot deal well with the worst mother nature can dish up. Yes, they can hang on, but not much more.

As to blaming the captain, and thinking this could have been avoided or minimized, have a talk with him personally, and give him your thoughts! :cool:

The ONLY ship that could have truly dealt with this, is a true ocean liner. And last time I checked, Anthem does not have the nick name "Queen Mary 2".

In fact, even QM2 would have found these conditions to be a challenge, but she at least has the power and the design to go up against this stuff. I think QM2 would maneuver much better, and given the appropriate conditions can make 29 knots to get out of "Dodge"

Just be happy you did not get hit with a 100' rogue wave, as QM2's predecessor QE2 did in 1995. QE2 took the wave like a champ and sailed on with minor damage. If Anthem, I would dread what the consequences would be.

Thus, never think that these mega cruise ships are immune from the really bad stuff. In fact, their size / construction makes them more vulnerable when mother nature unleashes her wrath.

I wish all on board well, and welcome to the Force 12+ club!:D

Praying for everyone on board. Hope the worst is over and you all make it through unscathed.

Agree with you 100% Lou. I often wonder why the cruise lines that sail from the East Coast don't incorporate a ship design that is better suited for raging seas of the North Atlantic.

The QM2 is specifically designed to handle these types of turbulent sea conditions. There is more steel in her hull and superstructure and the elongated bow is engineered to slice through the waves instead of see-sawing over them like most modern cruise ships. With a top speed of just over 30 knots QM2 can sail out of or evade trouble before it hits.

Hope there is not structural damage to the beautiful Anthem and she can continue on with her voyage.

Jonathan

^What he said

This was not a "surprise storm". Captain had plenty of time to avoid it.

5-year-olds could see its exact course on weather radar websites and where it was headed.

Why was the Anthem there?

Well, it was there. Rehashing who might be at fault isn't necessarily helpful at this point for people on board. There will be time for that later. Can we not get ahead of ourselves yet?

Edited by denatravels

Just saw this on our local news here in Florida, it was a storm the develope suddenly off the coast of South Carolina. The news anchor said the winds were like a category one hurricane, it was a rough ride but the ship is on its way here to port Canaveral. Our friends are on it and are due in here at noon. I'm sure they will have some stories to tell us when we pick them up. Tried getting in touch with them but no response.

Various reasons. I thought it was extremely cheap of them to only gave us a small shipboard credit for one night lost - we paid more for that one night than the credit. Not to mention the enormous itinerary change and the decisions they made around that. Also because of Jonas, the supplies were missed and they had to pick up supplies at other ports so when we ate at Chops, a paid restaurant, they served us sub par steaks and wheat bread (this was towards the end of the cruise so they probably were running low on supplies). My last 2 nights I tried ordering salads at Silk and the vegetables were old and slimey.

I love cruises and we are diamond members with RC, also we were on the Quantum last year and have always had wonderful expiriences, however this particular trip it felt like they really cheaped out.

Wheat bread? What kind of bread did you want? Spelt? Quinoa? :confused:

I had lovely fresh salads every day, including the final day.

<smh>

I am on the ship and it has been an uncomfortable ride today for sure. But folks, nobody onboard has any answers, and neither does anybody not onboard. It is way too early to hang or crucify anyone, and the most important thing is that all 5,000+ of us make it through safely.

What an absolutely ridiculous time to be talking about who's at fault...

Clearly they knew there was a storm there. I don't think anyone debates that.

I strongly suspect they also figured it was tolerable and within acceptable (if albeit perhaps not ideal or perfectly comfortable) limits.

It seems evident something changed along the way. A captain wouldn't knowingly put himself, a billion dollar ship, and thousands of passengers in harms way.

So lets get real here and stop judging based on what clearly appears to be a fair share of misinformation (disembarking, "too damaged to continue") and unformed guesses based on a lack of knowledge and understanding. How about waiting for the facts?

If they had not sailed there'd be another thread full of members bitching about their itinerary changing, or loosing a day of their cruise. "It looks fine on my iPhone!" many would be screaming from their staterooms, in true armchair quarterback fashion.

Edited by Oshawapilot

The posters who are questioning the validity of what people on the ship are saying right now are just rude and insensitive!

Who cares what the exact list of the ship is or whether the winds are 125 miles per hour or 100??? All that matters right now is that the ship is in a bad way and

People like cruiselou are scared. You should be praying for them now not insulting them. How can you be so uncaring and insensitive?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

As far as the lifejackets go, after the review of the Concordia disaster, among other incidents, they found a few things.

One, the people who did get their jackets mostly went right to lifeboats instead of muster stations, causing all kinds of problems at said lifeboats.

Two, the added mass of life jackets in the halls in a large ship was a severe impediment to movement.

Three, the dual flow of people going one way to get to cabins to get jackets versus those heading down either with or without caused significant traffic issues, especially with no elevators.

There were a few others, those are some of the main items. It was determined that for mega ships, a sound policy is to place the life jackets at the muster station and if possible make those stations indoors. This would increase the chances of people actually going where they needed to (or at least to A muster station) as opposed to crowding the launch decks, etc.

Since there has not been an incident requiring an evacuation or even a full muster (as opposed to a passenger count one) no way of knowing for sure if this is a better system. But there were real reasons behind the change.