Live...mostly...from Anthem

KarinaGW

And this "statement" is based on WHAT?!?!?!?

Not that I care for the poster's choice of words, but I believe he was referring to descriptions of the CD's demeanor that had been posted by person(s) onboard. Those posts were earlier in the thread, somewhere around the early morning hours, IIRC.

Very, very little, if any. And in any event, the Captain has so little experience steering the ship at sea (as opposed to docking), that it is left to the professionals, the Able Seamen. "Heaving to" as the Anthem did is very tricky, as you have to have a "feel" or instinct for what a wave is going to do. The optimum is to have the ship pointed into the seas at a slight angle, which will minimize both pitch and roll. Doing this, however, causes the seas to try to "throw the bow" away from being pointed into the seas. So, the helmsman needs to anticipate the wave action and yet not overcompensate and cause the ship to veer the other direction. Typically, a ship like this would have one or two helmsmen who have the experience and the instinct to do this kind of seakeeping, and they would have been on the helm all through the storm.

The Captain's expertise would have been utilized in monitoring the weather and anticipating the wind and sea changes in direction, and advising the helmsman what "base" course to steer, giving the helmsman the freedom to meet the seas as he sees fit, while keeping roughly to the Captain's heading.

Thanks for the info.

And this "statement" is based on WHAT?!?!?!?

My guess would be it's based on one of the early reports by a cruiser who is on board. She said the CD would give the status updates during the storm when the captain was too busy to. I don't remember or want to find the post in this very long thread, but it was something like that he sounded scared/nervous.

Edited by DM_KidAtHeart

Just curious -- has anyone had a cruise cancelled completely before?

Did they refund your money, or give you future credit or what?

It's hard to make alternate plans this late - ESP if they only delay a day or 2 - or don't delay at all -- you would lose your money if you cancelled now ...but at this point it's anyone's guess what will happen -

We are in a holding pattern..

We have. It was on a Celebrity ship that had developed a propulsion problem and had to go into an unscheduled drydock. Celebrity notified us of this five or six weeks prior to the sailing. They refunded all our money, gave us a 25% future cruise credit, and reimbursed us for the American Airlines fee of $175. to have our miles put back into our account.

The issue was that a company down in Miami sued over the right to conduct booze/gambling cruises, using the argument basically that if the cruise lines can do it, so can we... And the response was 'Fine, so no one can'.

I am oversimplifying a lot, but that's why no more cruises that don't stop in a foreign port.

I'm fairly certain there was considerable chatter this fall about no more cruises to nowhere beginning in January 2016. As I tried to say, PVSA does not apply.

From a friend who works at the dock in Bayonne all kinds of security clearances are being put in for individuals. May be more to the story. Looks like the ship is going to get a major clean up patch work done the 2 days in port. I would not say next sailing is a given at full schedule at this point.

OK< IF YOU HAVE ENJOYED THE "FOOD" ON ANTHEM......... SO BE IT! I am entitled to my opinion and I know good food. Royal Caribbean needs

CHEF RAMSEY to survey and comment and improve on ANTHEM OF THE SEAS FOOD QUALITY. I was tired of eating sub par food.

Again, you are entitled to your opinion and so am I.

Shhh, there's no need to yell, lol. Please take your culinary opinions to a more appropriate thread. There are many "food" related threads out there.. :rolleyes:

Very, very little, if any. And in any event, the Captain has so little experience steering the ship at sea (as opposed to docking), that it is left to the professionals, the Able Seamen. "Heaving to" as the Anthem did is very tricky, as you have to have a "feel" or instinct for what a wave is going to do. The optimum is to have the ship pointed into the seas at a slight angle, which will minimize both pitch and roll. Doing this, however, causes the seas to try to "throw the bow" away from being pointed into the seas. So, the helmsman needs to anticipate the wave action and yet not overcompensate and cause the ship to veer the other direction. Typically, a ship like this would have one or two helmsmen who have the experience and the instinct to do this kind of seakeeping, and they would have been on the helm all through the storm.

The Captain's expertise would have been utilized in monitoring the weather and anticipating the wind and sea changes in direction, and advising the helmsman what "base" course to steer, giving the helmsman the freedom to meet the seas as he sees fit, while keeping roughly to the Captain's heading.

Thanks. Can you control the azipods from the bridge wings? Now that would be a sight. ;)

How about just posting your opinions under one screen name? Creating this second name to justify yourself is the sign of a real coward, regardless of what point you're trying to make.

However it is a trick that that ilk has used for years here.

Good catch.

JC

Where did you hear that the 1/15 customers were pissed? I was on that cruise, and everyone I talked to had a great time with no complaints. Can't wait to be back on her in March.

I am one that wasn't happy getting back late.

My guess would be it's based on one of the early reports by a cruiser who is on board. She said the CD would give the status updates during the storm when the captain was too busy to. I don't remember or want to find the post in this very long thread, but it was something like that he sounded scared/nervous.

Not that I care for the poster's choice of words, but I believe he was referring to descriptions of the CD's demeanor that had been posted by person(s) onboard. Those posts were earlier in the thread, somewhere around the early morning hours, IIRC.

I am pretty sure that I read all of the posts in this thread, and I don't remember reading anything that would justify calling him that indefensibly insulting word.

And this is NOT because I know and love Abe personally. ;) He is never scared or nervous. He is the calmest person I have ever met. He soothed people who were purple with rage.

And since THIS person (the one who said that, whom I questioned) wasn't on board, I can't imagine what made him think that he could/should describe the CD that way.

JM-notintheleast-HO.

:)

I just stopped in to see how the people on the Quantum are doing to find some of you sound like children. Please, if you don't like or agree with what someone posts just move on. These boards are for people with different opinions to be respected and not argued with. For those of you who think that another poster should be removed because he or she doesn't share your opinion make me laugh!!! Think about it!

Edited by antsnanny

I just stopped in to see how the people on the Quantum are doing and some of you sound like children. Please, if you don't like or agree with what someone posts just move on. These boards are for people with different opinions to be respected and not argued with. For those of you who think that another poster should be removed because he or she has a different opinion make me laugh!!! Think about it!

I don't think that a ship half way around the world is having any problems. ;)

We had a Princess cruise get cancelled just as she was supposed to sail. Luckily our TA found us a 3/4 out of Miami. The other passengers stayed onboard a couple of days while Princess arranged new flights home. Princess reimbursed everything and gave us a coupon for 50% off our next cruise.

There were a few other couples that made it to our new ship. We were the Sky Princess refugees.

Edited by John&LaLa

I agree.

Bill Nelson is an idiot just trying to get people to notice him.

There is nothing the NTSB would do. Fine RC because some of their chairs are broken?

Its important to investigate why the ship sailed, when a storm warning was issued by the weather service. That is Nelson's job. Perhaps, a future tragedy can be averted. If you don't learn from your mistakes, you will likely repeat them ( paraphrasing Santayana).

Edited by 2CatsInFlorida

I am pretty sure that I read all of the posts in this thread, and I don't remember reading anything that would justify calling him that indefensibly insulting word.

And this is NOT because I know and love Abe personally. ;) He is never scared or nervous. He is the calmest person I have ever met. He soothed people who were purple with rage.

And since THIS person (the one who said that, whom I questioned) wasn't on board, I can't imagine what made him think that he could/should describe the CD that way.

JM-notintheleast-HO.

USA TODAY

"A very nervous cruise director kept coming on. He didn't sound very reassuring. He said, 'We are OK,'" Huschka said.