Live...mostly...from Anthem

KarinaGW

This thread is moving to fast to stay caught up, so I am violating the cardinal rule and posting without reading the next 145 posts. I was only gone an hour, jeez.

Anyway, I would think the PSA won't apply, but how about the cruise to nowhere?? If this has been beat to death, I am sorry.

I too am a few dozen....hundred<?> posts behind but there are no more cruises to nowhere on any line.

http://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/customs-explains-end-of-cruises-to-nowhere.html

A executive editor from the Detroit Free Press recounts "terrifying night" on the Anthem...http://www.freep.com/story/opinion/columnists/robert-huschka/2016/02/08/free-press-editor-cruise-ship/80021010/

Try again no idea who duffy is but we seem to have somewhat a similar opinion. I didn't say throw RCL away I booked again to give them another shot. They have much to improve.

YankeesFan224: Some of these posters are so blinded by their brand loyalty to Royal Caribbean they have to insinuate that two different posters can't have some similar opinions!

They are so stuffy, insulting and full of themselves they deserve each other and Royal Caribbean. :o They won't accept anybody with a different opinion. This ship has a low approval percentage rating - just accept it! I, too, have some very fond experiences on other cruises and other RC ships, but they should just scrap the Anthem and send it to China.

Duffy111 (the one and only)

I am pretty sure that I read all of the posts in this thread, and I don't remember reading anything that would justify calling him that indefensibly insulting word.

And this is NOT because I know and love Abe personally. ;) He is never scared or nervous. He is the calmest person I have ever met. He soothed people who were purple with rage.

And since THIS person (the one who said that, whom I questioned) wasn't on board, I can't imagine what made him think that he could/should describe the CD that way.

JM-notintheleast-HO.

:)

I saw the post Carol. He was described as sounding very nervous while the captain came across as very calm.

The captain was in frequent contact with the coast guard.

Did you see the truck of the ship on the YouTube Video? Sailing into the Gulfstream Force 5 wind? by the way, on modern ship like this you don't helm the ship Pods, Trusters, and computers do it all for you, your in control with a joystick.

Thanks - that helps

Luckily we are only a 4 hour drive from Bayonne so that part is easy -

Just wish we knew one way or another - it is school break so flights are tough to find and expensive , but if we knew for sure we could make other plans or at least make peace with missing the cruise.

Although we would be sad about that - I have no desire to "cruise" through what those poor passengers and crew did yesterday. Sounds terrifying

Honestly - makes me nervous about going out of NJ this time of year

I think these people are adults and can make their own travel plans. They did manage to book a cruise on their own.

If it were me, and I didn't have a flight back until Saturday, I would hop on the train and spend the next three nights in NYC. Plenty of rooms on hotwire for $100 per night.

You have got to be kidding; right?

YankeesFan224: Some of these posters are so blinded by their brand loyalty to Royal Caribbean they have to insinuate that two different posters can't have some similar opinions!

They are so stuffy, insulting and full of themselves they deserve each other and Royal Caribbean. :o They won't accept anybody with a different opinion. This ship has a low approval percentage rating - just accept it! I, too, have some very fond experiences on other cruises and other RC ships, but they should just scrap the Anthem and send it to China.

Duffy111 (the one and only)

I have no issues with brand loyalty but when I paid what I did I am going to call it how I see it. I spoke to many suite guests we were all in Coastal Kitchen together. Many had the same views I did. They way RCCL is ripping apart the suite program and rebuilding it tells me I am spot on. I am sailing the same category on Harmony. Suite layout and services look way different. For me its there last chance to keep me.

I can't go through all the posts to see who said what @ panic.

No panic in captain or cruise director 's voice; by yesterday evening, captain sounded like he'd had a lot of stress, no surprise.

No one with whom I spoke on board today said they had panicked. Most were sanguine. Somewhat scared, yes. Hungry, yes. Had trouble staying in bed during rocking,yes. Ready to go on another cruise, yes.

I was just on the Anthem and got off the ship yesterday. I also spent an hour on the bridge tour seeing the entire bridge. There is no possible way they didn't know a storm this bad was coming or at least half as bad - they have an entire room devoted to tracking the weather with 4 giant monitors and 3 computers that's right next to the main bridge.

And judging by the corners they cut on our cruise, the captain, heavily pressured by the execs at Royal Caribbean, probably pushed for the ship to get through it to "stay on the timeline"...

I know it sounds harsh but I really believe going through the storm was a severe judgement error on RC's part. Either that or they were taking a gamble getting through it, hoping that it wouldn't be as bad as it could be.

I cannot make judgement on this sailing. What I do know from my many sailings on RCC and other lines, they place their ships and passengers first and keep away from potential danger. That includes skipping ports if conditions are not right to a total change in the sailing schedule if conditions warrant. I would never believe RCC or any reputable cruise line would push a timetable as you state. One trip to the bridge does not make for expertise in navigation on the seas. I am so sorry for what all (staff and passengers) have gone through.

Shaun they will want to dry dock for a complete inspection, I bet senior executives are on there way from Miami to Newark to meet the ship as we speak

But is there an available dry dock in the NY area that can handle her size.

I did several searches on this thread for the words "nervous" "scared" and "panic".

The only instances of the first two were those of you who responded to MY post tonight.

ONE poster, YogiDog, said that she heard panic in his voice.

That's it. One person.

I stand by my posts.

:)

http://www.freep.com/story/opinion/c...ship/80021010/ __________________

Maybe more concerned then normal with his wife also on board for this sailing if I remember right.

Could they patch it up with boards and such? Sure. Will they do that? I don't know. For things like missing glass railings, I highly doubt they'd slap some boards there and say "good enough". If they had to get it from here to there, that might be okay but they arent going to send a ship out to sea like that. It's probably a matter of whether the right parts can get to NJ this week to fix most things properly. It may be too short notice. I have no doubt if they have all the right parts they can get it ready in a few days.

Edited by conandrob240

This ship should of never left the harbor. This storm was forecasted days before the cruise.

It did not change course. The storm formed and tracked as forecasted.

With all the modern technology off the ship and on the ship, your trying to tell me they did not have an idea. If not sure, why even risk it??

Buoys were reporting 30 foot waves and high winds before the ship even sailed. Royal and the captain knew what they were in for. Corporate greed and a Captain too dumb and scared to call the shots and not listen to Miami.

Safety of the passenger was clearly not first and foremost!! They lie! At this point , Royal will say anything but the truth to save face. Cruise ships are talented at twisted and also keeping information from the public.

I hope congress and the lawyers attack. This is clearly carelessness and gross negligence on there part.

my 2 cents.

People would think differently if they were on the ship and had worried families!!

Why would the NTSB have any say about whether a foreign ship in international waters, successfully sailed through a storm? Was there an accident? Was there loss of life? Even if they had jurisdiction, there wouldn't be an investigation.

That's what I thought regarding my NTSB comment above. Not to downplay the incident or take away from people's experiences, but if you boil it down this amounts to turbulence on a flight. There was no casualty / loss, so I don't see why NTSB (on the US Taxpayers dollar) should investigate a foreign flagged ship caught in a storm in international waters.

Did you see the truck of the ship on the YouTube Video? Sailing into the Gulfstream Force 5 wind? by the way, on modern ship like this you don't helm the ship Pods, Trusters, and computers do it all for you, your in control with a joystick.

That is for when the ship is docking. First off, thrusters are completely ineffective when either the ship or water speed is more than 5 knots. The "helm" controls both the speed of the propellers and the direction they point, since this is the steering. It works just like any other ship, and in seas like this, you do not use the "computer" or auto-pilot, you hand steer.

This ship should of never left the harbor. This storm was forecasted days before the cruise.

With all the modern technology off the ship and on the ship, your trying to tell me they did not have an idea. If not sure, why even risk it??

Buoys were reporting 30 foot waves and high winds before the ship even sailed. Royal and the captain knew what they were in for. Corporate greed and a Captain too dumb and scared to call the shots and not listen to Miami.

Safety of the passenger was clearly not first and foremost!! They lie! At this point , Royal will say anything but the truth to save face. Cruise ships are talented at twisted and also keeping information from the public.

I hope congress and the lawyers attack. This is clearly carelessness and gross negligence on there part.

my 2 cents.

People would think differently if they were on the ship and had worried families!!

Most likely has a lot to do with the backlash they just took from the sailing that was shorted a day and just got off. The Anthem has been a disaster weather wise since January. This is not the black eye they wanted with a 1.4 billion dollar Ship bringing in ratings lower then 47% approval from Cruisers. I smell a complete changing of the guard. Way to much invested and this is going the wrong way fast.

my 2 cents.

If you really believed this .. you would never cruise again .. because it can happen on any cruise line any day of any week.

And 30 foot waves and 30 to 50 mph winds would have been no challenge to the ship.

The storm unpredictably exploded into a Northeaster.

Edited by bigeagle12

Maybe you should be removed from CC. I think I'll ask.

FWIW, I think you have every right to post your opinions and thoughts here. If others don't agree, so be it. I have not seen anything mean spirited or nasty from you. I know what it's like when your opinions don't mesh with the cool kids in class here.

Wow SO many experts here in this, yet another, new Anthem thread lol.

My "expert" opinion is that she will be just fine for Saturdays sailing. It's more close to 4 days they will have for repairs. They do entire refurbishments in 2 weeks. Supplies are already on there way there I can assure you. A company this size can get whatever they want/need and can get it today. Thats why we have airplanes. Again just IMO lol... This is kind of fun.. Almost like a lottery to see who will be right in the end.

P.S. I am truly glad we can all argue about something like this and that all are ok. Could be SO MUCH worse. Thank goodness for all involved.

Edited by Powersboyee2

Here is a very good article from an actual journalist that happens to be on board for a vacation. It appears his account strongly supports much of what has been reported here from those who actually are on the ship. Facts are facts.

http://www.freep.com/story/opinion/columnists/robert-huschka/2016/02/08/free-press-editor-cruise-ship/80021010/

Edited by karatemom2

So, you've never been on a plane where the pilot has informed you on take off that he expects turbulence and a bumpy ride, then tells you that he has found smooth air at higher altitude, only to have the plane drop suddenly just as he has turned the seat belt sign off?

You've never had to drive in a winter storm, after getting storm warnings, and then found yourself in worse conditions in the middle of the Interstate?

Weather happens. If you don't like it, don't cruise anymore.

This.

Here is CT we complain when the news hypes up the snowstorms and they turn into no big deal. We complain when they underestimate the storms and we are caught in bad conditions. We complain when the roads are not cleared like we think they should be and don't even get me started on the school closings/delays/early releases....

Weather is unpredictable.

Period.