Live...mostly...from Anthem

KarinaGW

I read on twitter from a passenger currently on the ship that some are speculating that there is more wrong with the ship than they are being told. Maybe that has something to do with it??? Guy on twitter's name is Greg. He's being quoted in lots of the local news stories. He has photos on twitter too. He has been tweeted by lots of news people and Greg has granted all of them permission to use his photos.

The same guy who has a cabin on the 7th floor :rolleyes: and obviously isn't familiar with cruising in general?

Have been trying to keep up with this thread this afternoon in an effort to stay informed on the situation. It saddens me to see a thread started by those on the ship for the purpose sharing their experience is being used by others to make it about them and how they've been wronged in some way by the cruise line. Having sailed most of the major cruise lines I'd be surprised if you found one you had no fault with. I've been cruising since the early 80s and, yes, it's not the same as it used to be. However, in January we sailed in a balcony cabin with beverage package included for not much more than we spent per person for an outside cabin in 1985. So, I don't expect the same experience I had in 1985.

To those on the ship, I applaud your positive attitudes. Prayers for your safe travel back.

I clearly stated I respected her opinion but she either loves RCCL or did not pay what I did for her vacation. Or I will go one more and say maybe our expectations are not the same. Don't try to twist the facts of what was said.

Still changes nothing. Most of the people happy are people paying 900 for an inside cabin. Its hard to mess up at that price.

I agree. I also have paid top dollar for a large suite. I should have expectations that the itinerary will be maintained and the food offered better. (I HAVE SAILED OTHER CRUISES ON RC AND THE FOOD WAS NOT AS BAD AS ANTHEM) Again, I am entitled to my opinion.

Hope the loyalist (inside cabin paying 900 type guests) will always enjoy RC and have a Continued Happy Marriage. Also, Enjoy the food!

How about just posting your opinions under one screen name? Creating this second name to justify yourself is the sign of a real coward, regardless of what point you're trying to make.

Was this directed at me? 'Cause I can tell you that I haven't had the opportunity to cruise RCI yet, so I can't be brand loyal, and I haven't had the chance to cruise in a couple years, because I spend so much time on the sea as it is. I don't have any dog in any fight with any cruise line. I have defended or castigated nearly every mainstream cruise line in my time on CC, as the facts dictate, not as my personal feelings might lead me.

I wondered that too, but it just seemed too ridiculous.

Cheng, just a personal note of thanks...I followed the Concordia thread for years (seemed like years anyway) and learned so much from you and other mariners on that thread. It was highly educational and much appreciated!

Judy

Anthem's February 13th sailing is still showing on the RC website. It is also showing to be "sold out", so that may mean one of two things. One, it truly is sold out, or two, it is not sold out but they do not want additional bookings in the event they have to "modify" the sailing.

Let's hope the three days they will have in Bayonne will give them enough time to repair some, if not most, of the damage. I am sure the last thing they will want to do is give full refunds for BOTH cruises.

Just curious -- has anyone had a cruise cancelled completely before?

Did they refund your money, or give you future credit or what?

It's hard to make alternate plans this late - ESP if they only delay a day or 2 - or don't delay at all -- you would lose your money if you cancelled now ...but at this point it's anyone's guess what will happen -

We are in a holding pattern..

Do not know if factual or not but on another thread someone is reporting that passengers will be disembarking upon return to Bayonne on Wednesday morning.

Guest services told the guest that Anthem would be going to dry dock for repairs. Hopefully RCI will put out a release soon if that's true because if so, the next sailing is likely not going to happen.

Oh my, that sounds pretty drastic!

Watching the videos people have posted of the waves and the things sliding and falling on board looked a lot like what we saw on the TA this past fall. We had 30 foot waves, and hurricane force winds. I forget how much of a list we supposedly had, but it was far less than it seemed to all of us. Things went flying, lots of glass was broken, but No serious damage like what we are seeing here.

We are supposed to board on March 4 for a 3 day. Wonder how long Anthem will be OOS.

I'm very glad to hear that RCCL is giving full refunds plus 50% off future cruise, and that all minibar contents, wifi and TV was free for the duration.

Interesting question. Would think manual to keep the ship head-on into the waves and because sea conditions/directions would change quickly.

Also don't know if navigation systems were damaged or reliable.

Anthem's February 13th sailing is still showing on the RC website. It is also showing to be "sold out", so that may mean one of two things. One, it truly is sold out, or two, it is not sold out but they do not want additional bookings in the event they have to "modify" the sailing.

Let's hope the three days they will have in Bayonne will give them enough time to repair some, if not most, of the damage. I am sure the last thing they will want to do is give full refunds for BOTH cruises.

The sailing has been sold out for a while.

Was just talking to an old colleague from another line. We're both right. No inspection is required but line protocol (I will assume most lines have similar) is that designated hull and interior surfaces get at least a visual check after an incident like this. On their line its the chief engineer and one bridge officer who follow a checklist of locations, apparently takes about 2-6 hours assuming nothing found and size of ship and that's also used to check various conduits, etc.

He likened it to a pre-flight check and its also done according to a set schedule.

No, not unless someone noticed some paint flaking from a structural member that would indicate flexure. Unless there was something obviously bent, there wouldn't need to be a class inspection.

Anyone who knows anything about cruising knows the itinerary and routes are planned not just by the Captain, but in coordination with the home office in Miami. RCCL has their own team of meteorologists as well as planners involved in these decisions. There is no reason to blame the Captain. (from what we know thus far).

(Now, it sounds the cruise director on the other hand needs some training in how to sound authoritative and in control, not sound like a p*ssy. People need assurance and a calm voice. It appears this guy (or gal) didn't have it. )

Glad everyone is safe. Enjoy the free booze and 50% off cruise!

And this "statement" is based on WHAT?!?!?!?

Well, then, apologies to you for the misunderstanding of the misunderstanding.:D:D

Stay safe my friend, and keep up the great reporting and updates. Much appreciated.:D

Isn't that special. After she apologizes to you for your uncalled attack, you consider her a friend.

You must be so proud of yourself.:rolleyes:

Whether"dry dock" officially or not, I have a hard time imagining Anthem will be ready for next Saturday's cruise. There seemed to be a lot of damage. Things like broken glass balconies and railings that are safety issues. Do you think they could get all those parts to NJ this week and complete those repairs by Saturday? It seems unlikely. I'd start making alternate plans if I were booked on that ship.

The maintenance and repair people are very skilled and capable. It's amazing what they can do with little time and few immediate resources.

We were on Serenade several years ago as she entering the Faroe Islands thru a vary narrow passage. The ship hit a low lying power line that wasn't supposed to be there. It tore down the mast severing lots of electronic wires and wiped out the first funnel. The falling mast severely injured a crew member that just happened to be there hanging flags. We thought the rest of the cruise was doomed. But we were able to sail on to Iceland (our next stop) where a big crane was waiting as well as with all the raw materials required to fabricate a new funnel. The work was completed all by the ship's crew before we were to leave Iceland. And look what they can do on these big ships in just a four week drydock like adding restaurants and cabins.

My guess is that Royal will have the Anthem shipshape by Saturday, and the next cruise won't be lost.

Exactly. I was racking my brain wondering how NTSB would have any standing in this case. The ship is safe and sound and all passengers are fine. There's nothing to investigate.

Having gone off the rails so many times already, NTSB is more likely to investigate this thread than anything that may have happened to Anthem yesterday. :eek:

Made it to the end again. Here's a question I haven't seen in 1,131 posts.

How much of last night's navigating was done by the computer(s)? I mean even if it was all manual it's not like the Captain was 'lashed to the wheel" like in the movies. By no means am I downplaying the work on the bridge, I was just curious

More than likely, none. Several years ago, when the Freedom went through a big storm, Captain Hempsted was on video a few days later explaining what they did. He mentioned they went to hand steering right away and just kept trying to turn her up into the wind. I assume Captain Andersen did the same thing.

Of course, neither Captain was doing the steering themselves, but they had the Con and were giving the orders to the Quartermaster at the helm.

Edited by EMBFlyer

How about just posting your opinions under one screen name? Creating this second name to justify yourself is the sign of a real coward, regardless of what point you're trying to make.

Try again no idea who duffy is but we seem to have somewhat a similar opinion. I didn't say throw RCL away I booked again to give them another shot. They have much to improve.