Live...mostly...from Anthem

KarinaGW

Merion Mom:

Whoever "Huschka" is, or the writer of the article, was just going for the sensational. IMNITLHO.

Mr. Huschka is a passenger on the ship who was quoted in that article. Also, see post #622. You are entitled to your opinion. However, these folks were on board and describe what they saw, heard and experienced. I think it's impolite to dispute their accounts when you were not there.

Edited by cheezwiz

Shaun thanks for sharing! Are you on board? How did you get hold of this video? Likely only available to passengers on board on TV in the staterooms, great stuff!

I'm onboard. This is looping on channel 22.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The only way the NTSB could get involved is if the flag country requests their assistance. Given (apparently) no serious injury or loss of life, I can't even see a flag country investigation. There will be of course an internal review, not the least given the damage and PR.

Made it to the end again. Here's a question I haven't seen in 1,131 posts.

How much of last night's navigating was done by the computer(s)? I mean even if it was all manual it's not like the Captain was 'lashed to the wheel" like in the movies. By no means am I downplaying the work on the bridge, I was just curious

I've been a sailor for the past 30 years and in inclement weather, you absolutely cannot use the auto helm. I would say the Captain stayed on top of the wheel the entire time and did not use any automatic. From what it sounds like, he was constantly adjusting.

Very, very little, if any. And in any event, the Captain has so little experience steering the ship at sea (as opposed to docking), that it is left to the professionals, the Able Seamen. "Heaving to" as the Anthem did is very tricky, as you have to have a "feel" or instinct for what a wave is going to do. The optimum is to have the ship pointed into the seas at a slight angle, which will minimize both pitch and roll. Doing this, however, causes the seas to try to "throw the bow" away from being pointed into the seas. So, the helmsman needs to anticipate the wave action and yet not overcompensate and cause the ship to veer the other direction. Typically, a ship like this would have one or two helmsmen who have the experience and the instinct to do this kind of seakeeping, and they would have been on the helm all through the storm.

The Captain's expertise would have been utilized in monitoring the weather and anticipating the wind and sea changes in direction, and advising the helmsman what "base" course to steer, giving the helmsman the freedom to meet the seas as he sees fit, while keeping roughly to the Captain's heading.

The largest vessel I've ever been at the helm of is 82 feet and you cannot use an autopilot in bad weather.

Maybe it is different with a large cruise ship?

My neighbor is the First Officer on the 153 foot M/Y Argyll and he told me the Captain would most likely have been up all night on the wheel.

In weather such as this he would have lost his job if not.

The only way the NTSB could get involved is if the flag country requests their assistance. Given (apparently) no serious injury or loss of life, I can't even see a flag country investigation. There will be of course an internal review, not the least given the damage and PR.

Ah, like the internal review Volkswagen did on their diesel emissions. Now according to your logic the US should not have been involved.

Senator Nelson is not an idiot as that poster wrote. You are misinformed. It does not matter where the ship is flagged, if it comes to US ports., it is subject to US regulations. And investigating possible crimes against Americans is always a US concern, regardless of where it occurred.

No, you are the one who is incorrect. When the ship is in a US port, or within US waters, it is subject to some US laws. It is not subject to USCG or NTSB regulations. The USCG can, and does, inspect the vessel as part of a Port State control, but they can only enforce SOLAS and IMO regulations, not the more stringent regulations that US flag vessels are required to meet under USCG regulations.

And, what crime has been committed against anyone in this instance. Further, the US, via the FBI can only investigate crimes against US citizens while a foreign ship is in US waters, or in international waters, not "regardless of where it occurred". In other words, if the crime against a US citizen happened in a foreign port, or in foreign waters, it is that country's jurisdiction.

Even the much vaunted "cruise bill of rights", despite Senator Rockefeller's best efforts (and if you watch the hearings, you'll hear him ask this himself), it has no jurisdiction over foreign flag cruise ships, but was voluntarily adopted by CLIA, the cruise line industry group.

Doing Yacht delivery's on the east coast, you NEVER sail your boat west into the shallows of Cap Hatteras, not having local knowledge resulted in unnecessary risk to life and ship, calling the office in Miami and not the local coast guard for advise was not smart. Cat two winds shallow water, dumb.

If you read the thread .. the captain was consulting with corporate and the Coast Guard all night.

That's no fun then. We had a balcony about 2 doors down fro the bridge and would watch them dock. You could practically hand them a cup of coffee

Been up there many time when docking or leaving port. Pretty cool with the glass floors that they can look down through.

Doing Yacht delivery's on the east coast, you NEVER sail your boat west into the shallows of Cap Hatteras, not having local knowledge resulted in unnecessary risk to life and ship, calling the office in Miami and not the local coast guard for advise was not smart. Cat two winds shallow water, dumb.

The captain was in frequent contact with the coast guard.

I've been a sailor for the past 30 years and in inclement weather, you absolutely cannot use the auto helm. I would say the Captain stayed on top of the wheel the entire time and did not use any automatic. From what it sounds like, he was constantly adjusting.

The largest vessel I've ever been at the helm of is 82 feet and you cannot use an autopilot in bad weather.

Maybe it is different with a large cruise ship?

My neighbor is the First Officer on the 153 foot M/Y Argyll and he told me the Captain would most likely have been up all night on the wheel.

In weather such as this he would have lost his job if not.

I never said it would be on autopilot, my first statement was that very little, if any, would be by computer. A little confused. And believe me, while a Captain may steer a yacht, no Captain has steered a cruise ship at sea for perhaps the last 20 years of his career. You let the man with the most experience on the helm, the Able Seaman, and he does what I explained, steering by hand, and anticipating the seas. When a Captain finds a good storm helmsman, he is worth his weight in gold, and the Captain will do anything to keep him.

Can someone onboard the ship comment or post a pic of your current position.. All the ship locators have the ship in port at Port Canaveral .. Thanks !

As was explained before, the sites you are using are not live tracking, they are showing where the ship should be based on itinerary. Marine Traffic is the site that most use for live tracking and Anthem is currently out of range.

Try again no idea who duffy is but we seem to have somewhat a similar opinion. I didn't say throw RCL away I booked again to give them another shot. They have much to improve.

YankeesFan224: Some of these posters are so blinded by their brand loyalty to Royal Caribbean they have to insinuate that two different posters can't have some similar opinions!

They are so stuffy, insulting and full of themselves they deserve each other and Royal Caribbean. :o They won't accept anybody with a different opinion. This ship has a low approval percentage rating - just accept it! I, too, have some very fond experiences on other cruises and other RC ships, but they should just scrap the Anthem and send it to China.

Duffy111 (the one and only)

YankeesFan224: Some of these posters are so blinded by their brand loyalty to Royal Caribbean they have to insinuate that two different posters can't have some similar opinions!

They are so stuffy, insulting and full of themselves they deserve each other and Royal Caribbean. :o They won't accept anybody with a different opinion. This ship has a low approval percentage rating - just accept it! I, too, have some very fond experiences on other cruises and other RC ships, but they should just scrap the Anthem and send it to China.

Duffy111 (the one and only)

Can you advise us of your other 6 names so we can block them?

Senator Nelson is not an idiot as that poster wrote. You are misinformed. It does not matter where the ship is flagged, if it comes to US ports., it is subject to US regulations. And investigating possible crimes against Americans is always a US concern, regardless of where it occurred.

Crimes? Perhaps I AM misinformed since I've seen no reports of any crimes, possible or actual, against Americans on Anthem of the Seas.:eek: And obviously my reading of the law and maritime regs has led me to different conclusions than those of you and your senator.

Nevertheless, as I said, I would never and did not call you or your friend Senator Nelson an idiot. Clearly you both know of crimes that I know nothing about. You should both carry on full speed ahead.

Judy

Ah, like the internal review Volkswagen did on their diesel emissions. Now according to your logic the US should not have been involved.

Really? You're comparing this? The fact that the Volkswagens were sold in the US, many were built in the US, and were mandated to meet EPA emissions standards means that the US gets involved with something that happens on US soil. Do you think the Germans are worried that Volkswagens sold in Germany may not meet US emissions standards? Get serious. One thing happened within the US and one thing happened on the high seas. One deals with US law exclusively, and one deals with international maritime law.

Merion Mom:

Mr. Huschka is a passenger on the ship who was quoted in that article. Also, see post #622. You are entitled to your opinion. However, these folks were on board and describe what they saw, heard and experienced. I think it's impolite to dispute their accounts when you were not there.

I did several searches on this thread for the words "nervous" "scared" and "panic".

The only instances of the first two were those of you who responded to MY post tonight.

ONE poster, YogiDog, said that she heard panic in his voice.

That's it. One person.

I stand by my posts.

:)

Tend to agree. the video of the waves, outside damage and wide noise was similar to our experience on the Celebrity Infinity in 2010 while in the Drake Passage on a Antarctic Cruise. 35 ft seas 75 knot winds. Wave damage all the way up to deck 14. Yet the rocking was no way as bad as the Anthem. Our max list was 11 degrees which seemed like a lot but really wasn;t. Most remarkable was the sliding doors on the verandah were vibrating like stringed instruments. We had to jam objects into the door slides to stop the wind noise. I would trust the Infinity Class ships through anything.

We were on the Infinity January 31, 2010 Antarctic Cruise. We really did rock and roll all night long. Really wasn't scared but banging doors and drawers certainly kept us awake.