Live...mostly...from Anthem

KarinaGW

Yes it indeed was due to ongoing weather concerns with another storm forming off the coast of Jacksonville which was merging with this big one. The captain expected to miss the edge of the big one on the way north by sailing a westerly course but it doesn't appear to have worked. The TV is showing winds of 62kts right now, and there was lightning when I had dinner around 9.

As I understand it, the stated reason to head back to NJ was due to continued bad weather. Though some have doubted that reason, it sounds from your and other recent descriptions like they're telling the truth.

Hang in there and be safe, this too shall pass.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

That may be caused by what is in front of them, not what's behind them.

Yes it indeed was due to ongoing weather concerns with another storm forming off the coast of Jacksonville which was merging with this big one. The captain expected to miss the edge of the big one on the way north by sailing a westerly course but it doesn't appear to have worked. The TV is showing winds of 62kts right now, and there was lightning when I had dinner around 9.

I love your responsiveness, hopefully you don't mind my trying to take advantage of that: where is the ship located currently?

When I sailed both the Quantum and the Anthem, I noticed how much each ship rocked in (relatively calm seas) comparison to the Explorer and was fairly sure that the Anthem would have problems dealing with the seas and winds that Nor'easters. The Quantum class ships are long and narrow -- and the stabilizers they are equipped with didn't seem to be smoothing out the ride. I don't think this is the last time we will see this kind of news item about the Anthem.

It had nothing to do with the size of the ship. Did you see the satellite loop of this storm? Do you know anything about weather? It was a cold core low pressure system, with a well formed eye. Those are extremely rare. Honestly this storm could have been named as a sub tropical storm. The ship made it through the equivalent of a Cat 3 hurricane, with nothing more than some cosmetic damage.

It's not too bad, I have all the doors and windows open in my house.

Our local Miami News just said Florida Senator Bill Nelson is calling for the NTSB to look into this because he said the captain knew it was coming. Royal Caribbean refused to comment about it. I'm pretty sure they know more than he does.

I think he's just trying to get people to pay attention to him.

"...On Monday, a high-ranking member of the U.S. Senate Commerce Committee called for a federal investigation into the event, saying the crew should have known not to sail the ship into the "the heart of a hurricane-force storm."

Sen. Bill Nelson, the top Democrat on the panel that oversees the National Transportation Safety Board, asked that the agency include Sunday's event in its investigation into last year's sinking of El Faro, a cargo ship that ran into a hurricane.

"I want the National (Transportation) Safety Board to come up with answers very quickly and make an admonition to mariners: when the storm is brewing you don't go out of port," Nelson said during remarks on the Senate floor..." -copied from

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-cruiseship-storm-idUSKCN0VH1Y7

Just as a personal note: my compliments to the passengers and crew members on board for your courage and perseverance. Thanks very much to the posters on this forum for keeping us all informed during the storm. For those of us who had family/friends on board with communication difficulties, your updates were essential.

Mariners know that in this life, we're all on the same ship (even if we aren't at sail).

Safe home.

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

It's showing as being slightly south (and east) of myrtle beach.

Got it, I see where you are in the weather now. Good news is it looks like it should improve for you in the next few hours. Fingers crossed.

On a happier note - the crew have all been fabulous! By far, the nicest of any ship on which I have sailed! And from talking to my server and room attendant tonight, it seems that they were all very scared last night too! My room attendant said her family heard that the ship "went down in the water" and her family was all crying back at home..

How are they handling onboard charges? Are passengers still on the hook for what was accumulated between getting onboard to disembarking (or at least until yesterday afternoon)?

What about tips?

On the one hand, I think that they should be reimbursed, but on the other hand, all I think of is how hard working the crew is, especially in these difficult times (and from what I have seen, everyone is praising them all). I just know how much they depend on these tips and it'd be sad if they got this kind of personal financial hit. I hope the cruise line at least takes care of them!

So glad you all are ok, and most have come through the storm with positive messages. Thank you all onboard who have posted!

Edited by cctimmom

Got it, I see where you are in the weather now. Good news is it looks like it should improve for you in the next few hours. Fingers crossed.

Great - thanks for the update! He said it would likely pick back up again tomorrow. Fun times!

"...On Monday, a high-ranking member of the U.S. Senate Commerce Committee called for a federal investigation into the event, saying the crew should have known not to sail the ship into the "the heart of a hurricane-force storm."

Sen. Bill Nelson, the top Democrat on the panel that oversees the National Transportation Safety Board, asked that the agency include Sunday's event in its investigation into last year's sinking of El Faro, a cargo ship that ran into a hurricane.

"I want the National (Transportation) Safety Board to come up with answers very quickly and make an admonition to mariners: when the storm is brewing you don't go out of port," Nelson said during remarks on the Senate floor..." -copied from

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-cruiseship-storm-idUSKCN0VH1Y7

He can ask all he wants, the NTSB has no business including a foreign flagged ship in its investigation involving a U.S. flagged ship.

For the life of me......I just can't understand why people would cruise from the northeast in the winter?? You lose at least 3 days of being outside because of frigid temperatures, a couple of lame stops, and days trapped inside coming back. (cold)

Spend all this money to be cold and trapped inside, what kind of vacation is that? Ok, they have onboard entertainment and activities. Big deal. You can get this entertainment right in NYC, be cold, see a show and go home for much less.

For heavens sake, Fly your body down to Florida or Peurto Rico, somewhere warm, take a cruise to warm destinations and be outside sunning and drinking in the winter!!

2+2=4 folks

Air is often delayed or canceled and leaving days early is no guarantee

So is anyone else aboard feeling like we're gonna be in for a long night? I'm on deck 11 too, saw the lightening earlier and definitely noticing the winds and movement increasing. Time to go secure everything in our cabin again.

From what I've heard, all onboard accounts will still stand. A lady in front of me at guest services had her water package refunded and said she hadn't received it anyway. I was able to cash out my cash account (I had pre-purchased OBC) but the amount that I was given when I booked the cruise was not refundable - so I did what any girl would do and bought myself a bracelet! ;)

I have no idea about the tips. I sincerely hope RCI will pay the crew their tips! I do believe they are being refunded back to the passengers though! I did see a few people tipping cash today - including the table beside me at dinner who tipped the server what appeared to be a large amount because the server whispered to them to try to give it back!

Great - thanks for the update! He said it would likely pick back up again tomorrow. Fun times!

Unfortunately, he would certainly know better than my 10 second amateur analysis of a weather map. At least you have a tale to tell, right?

So is anyone else aboard feeling like we're gonna be in for a long night? I'm on deck 11 too, saw the lightening earlier and definitely noticing the winds and movement increasing. Time to go secure everything in our cabin again.

Exactly what I'm doing right now - putting everything away again! Worried the glasses in the washroom will shatter again! Ugh! On the bright side, this feels like nothing compared to last night! Although on any previous cruise, I would say the weather was awful if it was like this...

He can ask all he wants, the NTSB has no business including a foreign flagged ship in its investigation involving a U.S. flagged ship.

It may be a foreign flagged ship but it is owned by an American Company. They have all the rite in the world to include it in the investigation. The only reason why they register the ship in a foreign country is so that the military can't take control of the ship in a time of war, as they have done in the past.

Exactly what I'm doing right now - putting everything away again! Worried the glasses in the washroom will shatter again! Ugh! On the bright side, this feels like nothing compared to last night! Although on any previous cruise, I would say the weather was awful if it was like this...

Thanks for reminding me about the glasses! Ours shattered last night too. I just secured them.

And I agree, tonight would be "rough" on any other cruise I've been on.. but after last night, I guess it's not so bad!

After following this thread ,I have to chime in first it's nice to see a sincere concern for you fellow cruise lover .

Secondly glad all came threw this with no more than a few bruises and an awesome story to tell

Third I'm a bit disappointed in the fact that this thread which could have been a real insight into many aspects to what was going on , but sadly like most things on the internet they become diluted, and the next thing you know we're talking about lawsuits and blame , and of course personal attacks . So brovo on lowering the standard to the status quo

That's it safe sailing to all

Very well said! Things are just ridiculous here. Come on people.....

It may be a foreign flagged ship but it is owned by an American Company. They have all the rite in the world to include it in the investigation. The only reason why they register the ship in a foreign country is so that the military can't take control of the ship in a time of war, as they have done in the past.

The only reason?

For example, in 1989 a Carnival ship was involved in a collision off the coast of Cuba. Though Carnival is a U.S. company and the ship returned to a U.S. port, the NTSB had to be given permission by the flag country to get involved in the investigation. They do not, in fact, inherently have such a right.

No. It is flagged in the Bahamas for labor reasons. They used to ALWAYS be flagged in Norway, but they had stricter labor laws than the Bahamas did. It has nothing to do with the military.

And most ships are generally their own corporation, also not registered in the US. "Miami" is just a reservations, management, and logistics company.

http://www.marinelog.com/DOCS/NEWSMMIV/MMIVSept16.html

Edited by LMaxwell