Live...mostly...from Anthem

KarinaGW

I expect a different result because I feel RCCL is learning from past mistakes if you look at Harmony the entire suite program is revamped and mimics NCL in layout with suites being on there own private floor. By the way I suited up 3 times on the Anthem and let me tell you something RCCL is not so special on there dress code either my friend look around. Please tell me you dont wear that stupid pinnacle badge like you earned a medal of honor for staying in 50 inside state rooms.

Why do you repeatedly insist on being so rude about people who choose to book inside staterooms?!? As though you're somehow a more valid human being because you've booked a larger room?

If you think you should be treated better because you've paid more, why don't you just sail with a higher-end cruise line?

We've all paid for the same holiday on the same ship with the same amenities. Your choice of stateroom is just that. Your choice. You are not any better than someone staying in an inside stateroom and you should really, really get over yourself and your suites.

This assumes you think they care about their rating on CC. I can guarantee most lines don't or at least the ones I have worked with. In general, they have found it doesn't affect new cruisers decisions for the most part, and quite frankly frequent cruisers are the least profitable (if it wasn't for a low acquisition cost they wouldn't care at all).

In fact, that's one of the biggest arguments against them deciding to sail into the storm. Coverage like this is the worst possible for a line because it makes them appear unsafe to new cruisers, their best market for profits.

Most likely has a lot to do with the backlash they just took from the sailing that was shorted a day and just got off. The Anthem has been a disaster weather wise since January. This is not the black eye they wanted with a 1.4 billion dollar Ship bringing in ratings lower then 47% approval from Cruisers. I smell a complete changing of the guard. Way to much invested and this is going the wrong way fast.

I've sailed with Captain Claus before and would sail with him again. This thread has gotten beyond ridiculous with armchair meteorologists, lawyers, etc pointing fingers and talking woulda shoulda when you don't have a clue :rolleyes: It takes a real foolish person to believe the captain did all this on purpose jeopardizing all the lives including his own and his crew, the ship and everything else. Honestly, any and all accusations are pretty disgusting and you all should be ashamed!

Also I find disgusting, the media focusing on pics of furniture that was clearly laid down by the crew :rolleyes: typical.

Thank you to everyone onboard who are actually there for your firsthand reports. Be safe and best wishes when you return to land with everything you have to deal with

I guess that tired ol cliche "a bad day on a cruise is still better than a good day on land" should finally be put to rest. Oh, wait. Who am I kidding?

Well said!

Finally, I caught up on my reading! I find almost all threads interesting since I learn something from each & every one of them. I read that the Anthem & the Grandeur were both delayed 2 weeks ago because of snow storm Jonas. It was interesting reading from the people that were on the ships. I'm still fairly new at cruising so yes I learn a lot. I tend to skip over the negative comments that are posted. I can't believe people can be that negative. I'm so glad the people on the ship seem to be positive &/or grateful for their problems & compensations.

I'm leaving in less than 5 weeks out of Baltimore. I have only cruised out of Baltimore in March, May, & November. We encountered bad weather on our very first cruise on the Grandeur in March 2014. The famous cruise that cracked the jogging deck. I see it is still a "temporary" fix (looks like a speed bump) but everything still works fine. The crew did a great job on that cruise. I was impressed with their calmness & efficiency.

Be safe & happy travels.

Donna

I'm officially holding onto my bed again! The noticeable difference is that it's now a pitching motion rather than a side to side roll.

OH Dear- sending more positive vibes toward the passengers and crew of the Anthem tonight ! I imagine many are anxious enough without another night of rough water. Hugs!

Well I'm sorry to heard that seas are getting rough tonight again for the Anthem. I was actually surprised to hear that cruise lines sail out of the tri-state area in the winter. I'd gladly do a longer cruise out of there to the Caribbean, but inclement weather is definitely something I would be taking into account - or at least be aware of the possibility.

Hopefully things remain calmer tonight than they were the other night.

I saw a number of pages back that someone commented that it was good that it wasn't a school holiday because it was probably terrifying for any children on board, which promptly reminded me that kids are almost always 100% more resilient than adults.

I've had a few rough nights before, nothing like what happened this week but definitely the kinds of nights where you're swerving around the hallways and bumping into walls and the hangers in the closet are clanging back and forth. Nothing you can do but stay calm and put your trust into the captain. These things happen on ships and sometimes people forget that they're at the mercy of the ocean because it's generally smooth sailing.

Hope everyone manages to sort out travel arrangements and enjoys their last day on board!

Thanks to all passengers here who've kept us updated and the few people with enough knowledge to give us some insight into the hows and whys!

Why do you repeatedly insist on being so rude about people who choose to book inside staterooms?!? As though you're somehow a more valid human being because you've booked a larger room?

If you think you should be treated better because you've paid more, why don't you just sail with a higher-end cruise line?

We've all paid for the same holiday on the same ship with the same amenities. Your choice of stateroom is just that. Your choice. You are not any better than someone staying in an inside stateroom and you should really, really get over yourself and your suites.

Nobody is being at all rude our perceptions are not the same. Its America that's OK., I don't care what room you book its your option and choice on how you spend your hard earned money. We did not book the same Holiday and the amenities are not the same nor should they be. When your paying a premium price for a premium product you expect that very simple. Why so offended by people discussing and talking about suites and what they expect for what they paid? I dont want to sail a higher end line I like the Big ships of NCL and RCCL and what they offer. Just voicing my opinion on where they fell short. Since when are forums one sided.

Hi Folks

As there is no hull or azipod damage I see no reason at all for a dry dock.. all of the damage is minor and most just cleaning up from things falling over and a few balcony dividers breaking loose ...

A nice clean up for the staff but nothing to stop her sailing ... but they will need a a rest .. after all they are only human

regards

John

Edited by VK3DQ

I think they ware well aware of these boards and follow them closely. With Social media today cruising is a whole new ball game. To much is on the line. The national press kills them.

This assumes you think they care about their rating on CC. I can guarantee most lines don't or at least the ones I have worked with. In general, they have found it doesn't affect new cruisers decisions for the most part, and quite frankly frequent cruisers are the least profitable (if it wasn't for a low acquisition cost they wouldn't care at all).

In fact, that's one of the biggest arguments against them deciding to sail into the storm. Coverage like this is the worst possible for a line because it makes them appear unsafe to new cruisers, their best market for profits.

I just swung by to confirm to you that nothing of significance has been announced.

I cringe to think what people may have found to post about in the last 24 pages since anything official was announced.

Yes, we are rocking some but, honestly, it is really not very much worse than any other sailing out of New Jersey/baltimore where you're getting through the Atlantic to the calmer southern seas.

The mood of the ship is good. Of course, we are disappointed that we are not able to complete our cruise, but there has been no outcry of "Not Fair". The guest services lines have in no way been inundated today, a sure sign that people are, for the most part, understanding of the situation.

The crew spent the day cleaning and repairing and will almost certainly continue to for the next few days. I assume that there will be a complete inspection of the ship's structure when we get back. The ship, however, does not feel stressed or out of kilter.

Clearly, I am not an expert. But, I do feel some sense of balance must be maintained given the prevelance in the media of quotes by "someone" who felt the need Sunday night to make incorrect pronouncements about our state as if they were official. Someone, who if I knew what they looked like and saw them on the ship, i would smack.

I just swung by to confirm to you that nothing of significance has been announced.

I cringe to think what people may have found to post about in the last 24 pages since anything official was announced.

Yes, we are rocking some but, honestly, it is really not very much worse than any other sailing out of New Jersey/baltimore where you're getting through the Atlantic to the calmer southern seas.

The mood of the ship is good. Of course, we are disappointed that we are not able to complete our cruise, but there has been no outcry of "Not Fair". The guest services lines have in no way been inundated today, a sure sign that people are, for the most part, understanding of the situation.

The crew spent the day cleaning and repairing and will almost certainly continue to for the next few days. I assume that there will be a complete inspection of the ship's structure when we get back. The ship, however, does not feel stressed or out of kilter.

Clearly, I am not an expert. But, I do feel some sense of balance must be maintained given the prevelance in the media of quotes by "someone" who felt the need Sunday night to make incorrect pronouncements about our state as if they were official. Someone, who if I knew what they looked like and saw them on the ship, i would smack.

Thanks for all of your updates Karina.

Thanks for the always honest updates, safe travels now and always

There will be no lawsuits from this. No lawyer in his right mind would take this type of case. Suing cruise line is notoriously hard thanks to the barbarian terms and conditions cruisers agree to when sailing and the ships being out of foreign countries. People can complain all they want but what RCL gave offered is the most they will get.

Before you ask I am a lawyer. I was on the cruise last week that lost a day because of the storm and am already unhappy with RCL and how poorly they handled that situation. Pretty happy that they will lose a ton of money from this incident. Couldn't have happened to a nicer company (read sarcasm)

They can try...If a lady can sue Kit Kat for only having chocolate in her candy bar and missing the cookie part, you can bet that people will sue. I heard one quote on her already, something like I feel like I lost 5 years of my life..." An ambulance-chasing attorney will take the case!

There is always a chance of bad weather, mechanical problems, and even sickness. If you don't want to take the chance, stay home. Stay tethered to the shore in a dingy. :eek:

Just my .02 cents.

They can try...I heard one quote on her already, something like I feel like I lost 5 years of my life..." An ambulance-chasing attorney will take the case! Just my .02 cents.

Yes, they can (and may) try but if they lose, and they will, they will be responsible for all legal and court costs including RCL's. Yes, a blood-thirsty lawyer will take it, but it's the poor passenger who will lose out many times over in the end.

Obviously you can have hurricane force winds without a hurricane. A hurricane is a specific type of circular storm, but it's not the only type of storm that can produce those winds.

Exactly. There was one of those off Sydney in April last year which knocked Carnival Spirit around a fair bit. It was too rough for her to enter Sydney Harbour so she had to stooge around until things quieten down a bit.

shaun07 (the guy who posted the youtube clips), did you really take your original video down and then repost in three different minute and a half clips so you could get more views??? Ugh.

Here is a longer, single version.

[YOUTUBE]Jo0SLwupq10[/YOUTUBE]

Well that wasn't a good decision and put many in danger.

Try reading the other threads that have much more info about it. Captain and crew as well as the ship performed flawlessly. Comments suggesting otherwise are uneducated and ill informed about the whole situation.

Exactly. There was one of those off Sydney in April last year which knocked Carnival Spirit around a fair bit. It was too rough for her to enter Sydney Harbour so she had to stooge around until things quieten down a bit.

That is correct We were on the Carnival Legend which left Sydney harbour just as the rough seas started We did not notice much except a rocking but the next morning at our M&G the Maitre D (then only one who was able to visit) said the senior crew had been up all night sorting the damage out Two windows had been broken with water in those cabins up to waist level One lady had a cut face and the next cabin the lady had cut knees

We were on the same floor as the damaged rooms but knew nothing as we were on the other side of the ship

The lady was taken off for special plastic surgeon stitches to her face at thefirst stop but the other lady stayed on board and enjoyed her vacation