Live...mostly...from Anthem

KarinaGW

This is the way I look at it.. I have over 40 cruises under my belt and this cruise alone convinced me of the safety of being on a cruise ship at sea.. Think about this.. 150 mph winds and 30 ft waves and that ship not only survived but no loss of life or major injuries .. Only from what we hear now as superficial cosmetic damage! No power outage and they didn't lose Internet or television .. Think about that.. If that storm would have come ashore doing 150 mph winds, what damage it would have done! Property damage, injuries, loss of lives.. .. I would rather be at sea on one of these ships than here on land anyday!!

I don't understand a comment regarding Cunard from about 60 pages earlier on this thread.

How is it built different from the Quantum and Oasis Class? The Quantum has about 10,000 more tons, and 3 more decks and roughly the same length. How much does each extra deck add to the rocking of the ship in a bad storm?

We'd like to take the Queen Mary II, but it would have to synch up to one of the other cruises on Royal or Celebrity out of England for us.

Cunard ships are true oceanliners, not cruise ships. Oceanliners are just designed better for rough seas from my understanding. I'll let the experts elaborate on that further.

Another reason to INSIST that life jackets be located in guest cabins! As in the old days.

I cannot imagine that with reported "winds reaching 150 MPH, seas up to 30 ft, and listing of up to 45 degrees" there could be any orderly distribution of life jackets at one's muster station. (if you could even get there)

Diane & Jerry (coasters)

Edited by coasters

I'm sure they are and have been assessing all the damage they can already so replacement items can be sent directly to Bayonne. I'm sure by now there are a lot of items already on their way.

They probably have already run full function test on the Azipods and stabilizers and know if they are functioning properly. An underwater inspection probably will be done in Bayonne. I doubt there is any damage to Azipods. If there is any mechanical damage it would probably be to a stabilizer.

Another reason to INSIST that life jackets be located in guest cabins! As in the old days.

I cannot imagine that with reported "winds reaching 150 MPH, seas up to 30 ft, and listing of up to 45 degrees" there could be any orderly distribution of life jackets at one's muster station. (if you could even get there)

Diane & Jerry (coasters)

What are you going to do with that life jacket in a storm with 150 mph winds? If you end up in the water you are going to drown anyway.

Life jackets are to wear if you have to evacuate the ship in a lifeboat. In case something happens to the lifeboat. It would be safer to stay on the ship with hurricane force winds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not that anyone needs my 2 cents at this point, but here goes.

I think somebody at RCI corporate made a bad decision to sail this ship and the captain did a phenomenal job sailing it under the worst of circumstances.

The captain doesn't operate in a vacuum, he has much higher ups than him that he has to answer to.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I agree completely

Since the ship is still afloat and making way under her own power I would say they are building news ships to withstand the seas.

Are they actually building new ships to withstand the seas or as floating hotels. I would have been terrified.

I will have two heartbroken little boys if that is the case. I really pray that everyone gets off this sailing safely and the extra days in port will be enough for Anthem to be back on track for Saturday.

If I was sailing on the Anthem on Saturday, I would want to make sure it was drydocked and everything was 100% before heading out. Personally, I would be uneasy if it wasn't.

I started this thread to try to let people know in as unbiased away possible what was happening onboard Anthem. I wanted to circumvent the wild unconfirmed reports and fearmongering that I knew was an inevitable part of this event.

I only reported official announcements. No wild speculation. I would occasionally mention my own observations. I never said people were not disappointed. I am sure that there arm chair captains onboard who are second guessing. I also know that the media tend to glom onto the most sensationalist reports. All I wanted was to try to be fair.

I shouldn't have bothered. This thread has, ultimately, disturbed me more than the storm. That was a force of nature. Much of this has been deliberate human maliciousness.

Goodbye, Cruise Critic.

Edited by KarinaGW

My point is that despite what some on here call horrible rating for the ship (47% positive here on CC), many negative reviews here you'd think that the public at large would avoid the ship like the plague, including repeat cruisers. Why aren't they?

I saw those poor ratings but we decided to give Anthem a try anyway. If we don't like it then we won't sail it again. I like to make up my own mind about these things and so many areas are subjective like food and shows and music. Only 27 days to go. Hope all the storms are gone by then.

And I'm pretty sure the other one is retired?

Chengkp75 is a Merchant Marine Academy graduate who is currently at sea working aboard ship. I might be the resident counselor on a federal laws, especially in the maritime criminal forum, but that guy has a knowledge base that even I find highly respectable.

I don't understand a comment regarding Cunard from about 60 pages earlier on this thread.

How is it built different from the Quantum and Oasis Class? The Quantum has about 10,000 more tons, and 3 more decks and roughly the same length. How much does each extra deck add to the rocking of the ship in a bad storm?

We'd like to take the Queen Mary II, but it would have to synch up to one of the other cruises on Royal or Celebrity out of England for us.

Deeper draft, more freeboard; cruise ships have flatter bottoms and proportionately much more windage area compared to a liner. Cruise ships are more economical to operate but they are not as stable, by design, as an ocean liner. Comparatively speaking, most cruise ships do not spend a considerable amount of their time crossing open oceans. Liners also tend to be capable of higher speeds.

Would the QMII have done much better in this particular megastorm? No one can really say.

Edited by LMaxwell

Why aren't they? Maybe because the negative reviews represent a very small minority of cruisers? Maybe the issues people complain about don't affect the majority of cruisers? Maybe the public at large simply don't believe the reviews?

I again have to respectfully disagree. I sailed her for the same reason i sailed the Explorer of the seas before her and the NCL Gem and NCL Breakaway out of NYC.

Because its only 90 minutes from my house and my wife doesn't like to fly. I think lots of people sail for the same reason out of the NY area or they wouldn't have the ports here.

Out of limited sailing options in this area - the Anthem has the best features on paper.

I take all reviews with a grain of salt as i know that mostly people with bad experiences post reviews. however, since i had a similarly bad experience i can validate the negative reviews.

I again have to respectfully disagree. I sailed her for the same reason i sailed the Explorer of the seas before her and the NCL Gem and NCL Breakaway out of NYC.

Because its only 90 minutes from my house and my wife doesn't like to fly. I think lots of people sail for the same reason out of the NY area or they wouldn't have the ports here.

Out of limited sailing options in this area - the Anthem has the best features on paper.

I take all reviews with a grain of salt as i know that mostly people with bad experiences post reviews. however, since i had a similarly bad experience i can validate the negative reviews.

I believe we call that validating your own feelings. As you tend to ignore those that fail to validate them.

It is quite natural. Doesn't make your views facts, unfortunately.

JC

It had nothing to do with the size of the ship. Did you see the satellite loop of this storm? Do you know anything about weather? It was a cold core low pressure system, with a well formed eye. Those are extremely rare. Honestly this storm could have been named as a sub tropical storm. The ship made it through the equivalent of a Cat 3 hurricane, with nothing more than some cosmetic damage.

I just question the opinion that this ship rocks alot due to length? I dont understand fully. They have several other classes of ships that are thinner and less then 200 feet smaller. I don't undertnad how that would make such a huge difference when they rock and yet Vision, Radiance and Soverign Classes do not? The most rocking I felt on all the classes I have been on so far was the Radiance class.

Edited by VikingCrown555

This is the way I look at it.. I have over 40 cruises under my belt and this cruise alone convinced me of the safety of being on a cruise ship at sea.. Think about this.. 150 mph winds and 30 ft waves and that ship not only survived but no loss of life or major injuries .. Only from what we hear now as superficial cosmetic damage! No power outage and they didn't lose Internet or television .. Think about that.. If that storm would have come ashore doing 150 mph winds, what damage it would have done! Property damage, injuries, loss of lives.. .. I would rather be at sea on one of these ships than here on land anyday!!

Me too!

Have been looking at Anthem sailings and usually book within 4 months for the best prices. I'm really excited about the deal I might be able to get now!

For those who say we should fly to Florida instead of cruise out of NY.

Seriously?

We should spend a whole day (not to mention the $) dealing with the miseries of flying, stay in a hotel overnight (or 2) so as not to miss our cruise due to weather - instead of spending that same amount of time on a cruise ship? So we can't lay out in 80 degree sunshine for the first few days - so what?!

To answer the question, North Star is not running today! Not sure if it was damaged or if it needs to be checked over before running it or what the situation there is.

The flow rider was supposed to be open but I just walked by and it's not! No apparent damage but not running.

There are several windows broken around the pool deck and Seaplex which are boarded up and taped. They also haven't opened any of the pools or hot tubs on the ship - either indoors or outdoors.

Have you had any shows to see on your way back?

Deeper draft, more freeboard; cruise ships have flatter bottoms and proportionately much more windage area compared to a liner. Cruise ships are more economical to operate but they are not as stable, by design, as an ocean liner. Comparatively speaking, most cruise ships do not spend a considerable amount of their time crossing open oceans. Liners also tend to be capable of higher speeds.

Would the QMII have done much better in this particular megastorm? No one can really say.

Or in simple words, the ship is narrower, bow more pointed, bottom goes deeper under the water. In other words, it's meant to plow through ocean waters.

Anthem In Storm..

Diane & Jerry (coasters)

My wife and I were saying something similar so we basically agree. But to be perfectly honest, the ship going down without time to get lifejackets handed out has a very slim chance. Plus if you look at Concordia, many of those who died were in their cabins or had returned to their cabins. I think the thinking of the cruise line is that it is more dangerous in a sinking situation to have people trying to get to their cabins then back to muster stations, rather than just heading for the muster station. I know, they could carry double the required lifejackets, but that would result in much higher expense as I'm sure the lifejackets are required to periodically be tested and inspected, etc. In the case of Anthem, if she rolled over in the seas, which is sort of why people would have preferred to have life jackets on in their cabins, the likelyhood of survival would be pretty low. Sorry to be so morbid.

Anyway, businesses operate on a "risk management" type basis. They calculate the risk vs. the financial loss. I am in the airline industry. A friend of mine asked the CEO of another airline about their hiring of less qualified pilots. His answer was that they'd run the numbers and calculated that they could endure a loss of a full aircraft with full loss of all passengers once every ten years and be ok financially. I'm sure the cruise lines have similar numbers.

Edited by papaflamingo

Chengkp75 is a Merchant Marine Academy graduate who is currently at sea working aboard ship. I might be the resident counselor on a federal laws, especially in the maritime criminal forum, but that guy has a knowledge base that even I find highly respectable.

Really appreciate your input on this. Thanks for wading through all the posts and keeping us informed with facts.

I started this thread to try to let people know in as unbiased away possible what was happening onboard Anthem. I wanted to circumvent the wild unconfirmed reports and fearmongering that I knew was an inevitable part of this event.

I only reported official announcements. No wild speculation. I would occasionally mention my own observations. I never said people were not disappointed. I am sure that there arm chair captains onboard who are second guessing. I also know that the media tend to glom onto the most sensationalist reports. All I wanted was to try to be fair.

I shouldn't have bothered. This thread has, ultimately, disturbed me more than the storm. That was a force of nature. Much of this has been deliberate human maliciousness.

Goodbye, Cruise Critic.

Sorry that your thread turned into what it has. And I am sorry for feeding into it.

Anthem In Storm..

Diane & Jerry (coasters)

"Buoy data collected near the path of the ship recorded wind gusts up to 76 miles per hour."

I believe we call that validating your own feelings. As you tend to ignore those that fail to validate them.

It is quite natural. Doesn't make your views facts, unfortunately.

JC

I actually think i validated others feelings - since i read the reviews - chose to see for myself - saw for myself - confirm their reviews.