Live...mostly...from Anthem

KarinaGW

Sorry folks... this storm has been on forecast on almost all of the computer models for a week now, some of which showing the intensity this reached. I commend the captain for what he did keeping people safe DURING the storm, the fact remains........

http://www.nj.com/weather/index.ssf/2016/02/weather_expert_blasts_decision_by_nj_cruise_ship_t.html#incart_most-read_

All the RCI fanboys/girls defending Royal Caribbean should really have a reality check. Or simply if you're on twitter, tweet a meteorologist from the Carolina's to Boston and ask them if this storm caught them off guard? Ask them if this storm should have sailed directly into the path of this storm. The answer is obvious.

Sorry folks, but someone made an executive level decision to sail this ship. That person should be held accountable.

Whatever. Thanks for starting another thread maybe it will hit 1000 posts...................:rolleyes:

That's what's great about this place. Anytime there's any news of any type, a new thread gets started, even if there's a 10 page thread on the same subject. It's mental!

http://www.nj.com/weather/index.ssf/2016/02/weather_expert_blasts_decision_by_nj_cruise_ship_t.html#incart_most-read_

Say what you want about Al Roker... he's more of a TV personality, but the man does have a metoreology degree from SUNY Oswego, one of the country's most respected meteorology programs.

To the doubters, read the link above...

Actually I don't think so. A different situation, but when Carnival Triumph was dead in the water, the passengers lives were not at stake. The passengers were in unsanitary conditions for a couple of days so Carnival refunded cruise fares, all transportation costs to get to the cruise as well as 100% off their next cruise in addition to paying for all onboard charges before the event happened.

RCLs offer isn't terrible but I wouldn't be overly happy with it. I'm still out my vacation time, flight and / or gas and hotel pre and post cruise.

Triumph was stranded for 5 days, not a couple, and during those 5 days, passengers had to sh.t in garbage cans and then walk their waste to central collecting stations. I'll take 1 day of rough seas on a fully functioning ship any day over having to sh.t in a bucket for 5 days.

wow, i thought firstly, this silly thread would be removed by now....secondly that i was done picking my chin up off the floor....not.

The constant drivel and rubbish being doled out here never stops.

Why not just call karina and others who are on this ship and went through it themselves liars and get it over with. Some of you have insulted them in the most heinous and vicious manner possible. Smeared the reputation of a fine master and his staff and the company itself for protecting and taking care of all passengers in the most commendable way...and for what reasons? Just so you can feel important and knowledgeable, which by the way, you are not. You think we can't identify those who are posturing themselves as "experts" when we know someone can say anything on the other side of that screen?

We know who the real experts are, we have read their knowledgeable posts for many years, people who really have been coast guardsmen and boat pilots and really have meritime experience.

Yeah, seriously considering whether i really want to contribute any longer to these boards. But some of the posters whom i admire and respect here are worth having to wade through the crap. I'm done with it.:mad:

Texas isnt for quitters.hang in there man !

/size]

texas isnt for quitters.hang in there man !

Funny, Here's an article stating an investigation called to find out why these passengers lives were put in danger by sailing directly into a storm that had been predicted for at least 4 days previously. They predicted hurricane force winds on Saturday. That ship should have never left the doc. Whoever made that decision risked the lives of everyone on that ship. GMA is getting ready to talk about the investigation. Tune in!!!

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/nation-world/national/article59267248.html

wonder if the Good Sen from FL would love to gain more ships in FL vs NJ, fear mongering much!!!

NOAA showed the storm on sat but at a much smaller size, infact at the size on Sat it would be easy to sail around most of it.

Technology is great but it still loses to mother nature all the time. How many times did we here snow will be 10" + and get nothing not even rain.

This is why the ships are built to handle the worse case vs normal case.

Tropical Storms can do and do turn into class 1 hurricanes in a matter of hours. I've witnessed it and been through several. That's essentially double the intensity in a matter of hours. Such rapid rise in intensity isn't possible to predict. Should they have stayed in port or left? Either way, they would've ended up with at least a handful of cruise passengers who'll raise a storm of their own because obviously, the world revolves around them.

Ships go through storms like this all the time. They don't have to go to dry dock. There is no reason at all to suspect any damage below the water line. All the damage appears to be cosmetic in nature. I would be very surprised if the ship misses any sailings.

Triumph was stranded for 5 days, not a couple, and during those 5 days, passengers had to sh.t in garbage cans and then walk their waste to central collecting stations. I'll take 1 day of rough seas on a fully functioning ship any day over having to sh.t in a bucket for 5 days.

The Triumph was adrift for 7 or 8 days and was without functioning toilets for about 2 days, not 5. I'm not arguing that it was pleasant by any means, but my point is that nobody's lives were in danger on the Triumph but they certainly were in danger of sinking, however remote that possibility is. They were also in danger from flying objects in their cabin and around the ship.

I personally would be a little disappointed in the compensation.

I disagree, Anthem is more top heavy than Summit. If I had to be on a ship in a monster storm id pick Oasis Class (The sheer width keeps her very stable) then Voyager and even the Norwegian Jewel class over Anthem. Anthem is on about the same level as the Breakaway when it comes to sea worthiness.

LOL.. Oasis would not fair any better in a monster storm like this. Damage would have been the same. No ship is stable in a hurricane with 30+ waves.

Thanks for the report. Haven't read through the entire thread, but wondering how North Star was? Any known damage?

Ripcord and northstar are both missing from the Compass schedule today, which leads me to believe they are both closed. Flowrider is listed, so guessing they'll open it.

Kind of like ads for Port Canaveral often quote Orlando, a point of reference, even though the port is 45 minutes away.

Not exactly. Cape Liberty is the terminal name of a terminal that is in the town of Bayonne, NJ. It's not the name of another town nearby. If it were referred to as New York City, then your comparison makes sense.

Ships go through storms like this all the time. They don't have to go to dry dock. There is no reason at all to suspect any damage below the water line. All the damage appears to be cosmetic in nature. I would be very surprised if the ship misses any sailings.

I think this type of storm damage isn't commonplace. Lots of broken railings and other large structures. Flower pots can be done without, glass partitions/railings cannot. There's no way they'll slap wooden boards up in all the places (which looked like many) where glass was broken. If they can get replacement doors/partitions/guard rails to NJ for Weds., I am sure they can make the repairs. But there's still some "ifs" on whether those pieces are readily available on a day or two's notice and on the structural/mechanical soundness.

Funniest comment I read was that passengers were waiting at their muster stations ! 100 mph wind and 30 to 40 foot seas ! Can you imagine bouncing around in the little life boats under those conditions . If the big boat won't float the litle boats will look like corks .

I keep hearing that we were locked in our staterooms. We were not. For our safety, as a precaution, the captain asked us to stay in our staterooms. Not prison.

As for current conditions, we have 30 + mph winds, which may account for the rocking. The rocking is not extreme.

Also, I want to reiterate that the crew has been terrific.

The Triumph was adrift for 7 or 8 days and was without functioning toilets for about 2 days, not 5. I'm not arguing that it was pleasant by any means, but my point is that nobody's lives were in danger on the Triumph but they certainly were in danger of sinking, however remote that possibility is. They were also in danger from flying objects in their cabin and around the ship.

I personally would be a little disappointed in the compensation.

We all signed a contract that said, basically, that RCI would not be financially responsible if our cruise was shortened, had problems, etc. They are being very generous. Yes, I wish we had the cruise we planned, but you can't always get what you want.

Not exactly. Cape Liberty is the terminal name of a terminal that is in the town of Bayonne, NJ. It's not the name of another town nearby. If it were referred to as New York City, then your comparison makes sense.

funny you should say that. I am always saying 'the sailing from new York' and my son is always saying 'I thought it was new jersey!'. for me, same thing. lol.

Anthem In Storm..

Another reason to INSIST that life jackets be located in guest cabins! As in the old days.

I cannot imagine that with reported "winds reaching 150 MPH, seas up to 30 ft, and listing of up to 45 degrees" there could be any orderly distribution of life jackets at one's muster station. (if you could even get there)

Diane & Jerry (coasters)