Live...mostly...from Anthem

KarinaGW

Cruise 100% refund - 50% FCC.

No loss of life.

Sue for what? I don't see a case for willingness to cause harm.. El Nino year - crazy weather, everywhere.

Ship did what it was designed to do. Captain performed his duties with professional thought and purpose, by acounts I've read, including the videos.

Abe, the CD, handled the situation with compassionate care and concern, by on board accounts.

Returning to Bayonne is a good decision, imho.

Since this thread has high traffic, may I interject with another Anthem related comment?

It's time to merge Anthem onto the main RCCL forum. Please stop hiding Anthem in the subform.

That is all, carry on. Thank you to those on board who are keeping us updated, and for the experts on this thread who are explaining the hows & whys (cheng, aquahound)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As of today, all of the subforum posts have been moved. It's going away (finally!)

An earlier post had a photo of the TV, it showed a speed of 7.5 knots (thru' water or SOG?).

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A8-50F using Tapatalk

SOG, speed over ground, can be different from SOW speed over water, I think he needed that speed for the stabilizers to work, is the interview at the time of the actual storm? my point is, what would have happen if the ship lost power so close to shore? Sorry, s...t happens don't work for me :(

She may be stuck with the baggage from her comments on sharing a drink pkg. Some folks don't forget that. It seems to have spilled over into other threads as well.

I don't recall or haven't seen those. Regardless, this isn't the time or place to go after someone about that. Just my take

Not sure if this was mentioned about the damage but half of the elevators are out of service too which is creating issues for passengers with mobility problems and families with strollers. Major backlog trying to get around.

The ship is rocking around significantly right now once again, and there's lightning outside. Also horrible creaking noises all over the ship. The noises are louder than the We Will Rock You show!

On the October TA cruise the forward elevators were shut off due to the weather and waves we were having also, Yes there was a backlog but better safe then sorry. We had 2 days of high seas and hurricane force winds over 95 knots. I loved it of course. :) but by the 3rd day it was just gets annoying.

Edited by Bosjoe

On a happier note - the crew have all been fabulous! By far, the nicest of any ship on which I have sailed! And from talking to my server and room attendant tonight, it seems that they were all very scared last night too! My room attendant said her family heard that the ship "went down in the water" and her family was all crying back at home.

They are trying to make things as normal as possible! 2 shows of both We Will Rock You and Spectra's Cabaret tonight. They said they're working on tomorrow's cruise compass and are trying to fit as much in as they can.

Too bad scrambling trying to make plans to get home as taken up most of my day. I had to pay $500 for a new flight home on Wednesday (luckily my insurance will reimburse it). But no assistance from Guest Services with either the phone or anything else. They advised me to use the free internet to do what I needed to... Not helpful for contacting the insurance company.

Anyway - trying to make the most of my last 24 hours or so onboard! Hoping the seas settle down as they're really rough right now. I'm actually surprised they haven't cancelled the shows again.

WiFi calling FTW! I guess not everyone has a modern smartphone, or perhaps they just don't know how to use it.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

SOG, speed over ground, can be different from SOW speed over water, I think he needed that speed for the stabilizers to work, is the interview at the time of the actual storm? my point is, what would have happen if the ship lost power so close to shore? Sorry, s...t happens don't work for me :(

I'm well aware of the difference, that's why I mentioned it :)

Edited by pspercy

I don't think they'd go into dry dock at this point. Maybe the guest services meant they were going into repairs.

It would make sense nobody could stay on board, because it would need to be repaired and go over with the engineers before the next sailing.

For the life of me......I just can't understand why people would cruise from the northeast in the winter?? You lose at least 3 days of being outside because of frigid temperatures, a couple of lame stops, and days trapped inside coming back. (cold)

Spend all this money to be cold and trapped inside, what kind of vacation is that? Ok, they have onboard entertainment and activities. Big deal. You can get this entertainment right in NYC, be cold, see a show and go home for much less.

For heavens sake, Fly your body down to Florida or Peurto Rico, somewhere warm, take a cruise to warm destinations and be outside sunning and drinking in the winter!!

2+2=4 folks

Not really, we cruise out of NY and NJ all the time. Sometimes on the first day out were sitting in North Carolina in the sun. I think this winter has been really bad for cruising out of NY and NY though. BTY, we sailed out of New York for a Thanksgiving cruise and everything was fine until we left our first port which was Cape Canaveral. We were in 25 foot seas leaving Nassau.

Yes I do have a modern smartphone... The Internet connection is too spotty to use wifi calling - it won't even send my pictures via iMessage! [emoji53]

Also the elevator shutdown I believe is due to damage, not precautionary. There are a few elevators in each elevator bank that are out of service - too sporadically spread to me methodical!

Clearly they knew there was a storm there. I don't think anyone debates that.

I strongly suspect they also figured it was tolerable and within acceptable (if albeit perhaps not ideal or perfectly comfortable) limits.

It seems evident something changed along the way. A captain wouldn't knowingly put himself, a billion dollar ship, and thousands of passengers in harms way.

So lets get real here and stop judging based on what clearly appears to be a fair share of misinformation (disembarking, "too damaged to continue") and unformed guesses based on a lack of knowledge and understanding. How about waiting for the facts?

If they had not sailed there'd be another thread full of members bitching about their itinerary changing, or loosing a day of their cruise. "It looks fine on my iPhone!" many would be screaming from their staterooms, in true armchair quarterback fashion.

Even on the Princess forum, they complained about missing ports because Princess didn't feel they were safe. It wasn't long after the terrorist attack in Turkey, there were complaints written.

If that is the way you feel, why are you still sailing on Royal. Albert Einstein put it best. Doing something over and over again and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity. Adios, enjoy your suite on NCL and take comfort in the fact you can wear your wife beater t-shirt to dinner and not feel over dressed.

I expect a different result because I feel RCCL is learning from past mistakes if you look at Harmony the entire suite program is revamped and mimics NCL in layout with suites being on there own private floor. By the way I suited up 3 times on the Anthem and let me tell you something RCCL is not so special on there dress code either my friend look around. Please tell me you dont wear that stupid pinnacle badge like you earned a medal of honor for staying in 50 inside state rooms.

Yes I do have a modern smartphone... The Internet connection is too spotty to use wifi calling - it won't even send my pictures via iMessage! [emoji53]

Also the elevator shutdown I believe is due to damage, not precautionary. There are a few elevators in each elevator bank that are out of service - too sporadically spread to me methodical!

iMessage? I thought you said you have a modern smartphone! (sorry, couldn't resist) [emoji1]

You have got to be kidding; right?

Not at all.

We are all welcome to our opinions. This was about those on Anthem and the serious and scary storm encountered. How did Bill Nelson get labeled as an "idiot"? This adds nothing to concerns about the sailing and the safety of passengers and crew. It is sad to see a thread that began with earnest concern for a ship and turn into such a negative dialogue.

How is a Florida senator even remotely tied to this incident?

He is just saying this for publicity.

There is no reason for the NTSB to be involved. The ship is not a US ship.

I never said it would be on autopilot, my first statement was that very little, if any, would be by computer. A little confused. And believe me, while a Captain may steer a yacht, no Captain has steered a cruise ship at sea for perhaps the last 20 years of his career. You let the man with the most experience on the helm, the Able Seaman, and he does what I explained, steering by hand, and anticipating the seas. When a Captain finds a good storm helmsman, he is worth his weight in gold, and the Captain will do anything to keep him.

My apologies.

This ship should of never left the harbor. This storm was forecasted days before the cruise.

It did not change course. The storm formed and tracked as forecasted.

With all the modern technology off the ship and on the ship, your trying to tell me they did not have an idea. If not sure, why even risk it??

Buoys were reporting 30 foot waves and high winds before the ship even sailed. Royal and the captain knew what they were in for. Corporate greed and a Captain too dumb and scared to call the shots and not listen to Miami.

Safety of the passenger was clearly not first and foremost!! They lie! At this point , Royal will say anything but the truth to save face. Cruise ships are talented at twisted and also keeping information from the public.

I hope congress and the lawyers attack. This is clearly carelessness and gross negligence on there part.

my 2 cents.

People would think differently if they were on the ship and had worried families!!

Actually, I have been in a similar situation. I was on Carnival Fantasty sailing from Charleston when Sandy was east of us. We departed the port later than expected but headed out into the Atlantic with the hurricane right out there. We were one of the few cruises to actualy make it out on schedule that week and everyone on board was thrilled we left Charleston and I don't recall any mass protests that we shouldn't depart. The ride that night was rough and we were on smaller ship but I wasn't the least bit concerned and my family who knew I was cruising wasn't alarmed either - I called them a few days later at our first port and they only wanted to know if we were having fun.

For goodness sake, leave Congress and the lawyers out of this.

Edited by mek

And the creaking in my stateroom is deeply disturbing right now! [emoji15] Guess the expectations of calmer conditions was relative to yesterday's weather...

As I understand it, the stated reason to head back to NJ was due to continued bad weather. Though some have doubted that reason, it sounds from your and other recent descriptions like they're telling the truth.

Hang in there and be safe, this too shall pass.