Anthem keeps docking us around

shaun07

You could go to your User control panel, click "edit options" and scroll down to "thread display options" (or close to it, anyway) and uncheck the option to display images. Then you just get a link to the image to click if you choose.

Thanks, but I don't think I want to do that. I generally access from my phone, and I don't think it's a problem

If you worked and lived (because we on ships live the job as well as work it) under the ISM code, you would know how difficult it would be to get tunnel vision (especially years previously when they created the system, or at the annual audits or reviews) regarding putting revenue ahead of safety.

I am glad to learn that there are protocols in place to minimize the tendency to get tunnel vision. I was not thinking revenue at all. Mostly I wonder if the highly repetitive and mostly routine nature of operations contributed.

RCCL almost killed 6000 people and they don't care .....now your up to date

Way, way, way over the top. There is not a shred of evidence to support a claim that the lives of 6,000 were in immediate jeopardy. In fact quite the opposite.

I don't know if there is any easy source of this data or not, but they rarely cancel a cruise entirely because of weather. Itinerary changes / rerouting are not all the uncommon, though. It probably happens several times a year, on average, during hurricane season.

A Brilliance cruise got cancelled because of fog last winter, but that was also due to the previous cruise being a couple days late getting back

What technical details, it is basic math.

I'm sure those experiencing it were not worried about math. Those with port holes reported being under water. They could have imagined the ship way over at that point when they were experiencing it. Why does it even matter. It was obviously terrifying for many.

What technical details, it is basic math.

Or even the idea of just not talking about something you know nothing about.

One (or multiple) passengers brought up the made up number of 45 degrees.. and other passengers went with it. And more than one of them made that claim to the media while getting off the ship.

That is how misinformation and rumors start to make the rounds.

If it were me... I would discuss things I knew.. like those discussing glasses breaking and doors coming off hinges... not 45 degree tilting and that this weather was predicted by my friend 2 months ago. :rolleyes:

I am glad to learn that there are protocols in place to minimize the tendency to get tunnel vision. I was not thinking revenue at all. Mostly I wonder if the highly repetitive and mostly routine nature of operations contributed.

Way, way, way over the top. There is not a shred of evidence to support a claim that the lives of 6,000 were in immediate jeopardy. In fact quite the opposite.

Shaun was actually on the ship. Experiencing it is evidence enough.

Edited by tbill

Shaun, I have never been through an experience as bad as you have....but I was on Equinox in November 2012 on a transatlantic crossing that got rough...actually in the Med going from France to Spain. Unbeknownst to us, the Captain made an announcement alerting the passengers to a storm ahead and said he was making a different path that was closer to shore than directly across. This announcement was over the PA while we were in the MDR and people didn't quit talking and all I could hear was a voice saying something. I assumed it was the Cruise Director or such. So since we weren't warned, at 3 am, when the room begin to pitch about wildly and things flew off shelves, etc, all the things you can imagine...I was terrified. After it was over I wrote a note to Guest Services saying if the Captain was making an important announcement maybe the MDR host or someone should be alerted so as to try to quiet the room to hear it... Or broadcast it over a channel on the TV or something. I knew nothing about the storm and thus was totally unprepared.

I lay in bed telling myself everything would be fine...it would be over soon. It went on and on. I had several cruises booked for the next year; I love cruising. I seriously thought that I'd better cancel them and find something else to love. I realized my only sibling didn't know where my will was. We found out the next day that we had sailed through 90-100 mph winds and 45 ft waves! Over 100 glass panels on the ship broke or were cracked.

I felt absolutely terrible the next day. We had an all day excursion to Barcelona and Montserrat and we stayed on board the ship. I was exhausted from being terrified for 3 or so hours. So I'm not saying I know how you feel, but I have an inkling.

The reason I'm telling you this is...yes, I was terrified and not certain I wanted to cruise again. But after some time had passed....I did recover my love of cruising and have gone on to more Celebrity, Royal and NCL cruises.

Don't make any decisions right now. Just rest and let your soul catch up with you.

I'm sure those experiencing it were not worried about math. Those with port holes reported being under water. They could have imagined the ship way over at that point when they were experiencing it. Why does it even matter. It was obviously terrifying for many.

It matters.. because people watch the news... and gather information based on what they see and hear. And when some idiot.. starts throwing out made up numbers.. people believe it.

This is a small example.. but there has been SERIOUS consequences based on "information" provided during a news cast.

So yes... explain how "terrifying it was".. do NOT throw out made up numbers or information that people may take seriously. :mad:

Shaun, I have never been through an experience as bad as you have....but I was on Equinox in November 2012 on a transatlantic crossing that got rough...actually in the Med going from France to Spain. Unbeknownst to us, the Captain made an announcement alerting the passengers to a storm ahead and said he was making a different path that was closer to shore than directly across. This announcement was over the PA while we were in the MDR and people didn't quit talking and all I could hear was a voice saying something. I assumed it was the Cruise Director or such. So since we weren't warned, at 3 am, when the room begin to pitch about wildly and things flew off shelves, etc, all the things you can imagine...I was terrified. After it was over I wrote a note to Guest Services saying if the Captain was making an important announcement maybe the MDR host or someone should be alerted so as to try to quiet the room to hear it... Or broadcast it over a channel on the TV or something. I knew nothing about the storm and thus was totally unprepared.

I lay in bed telling myself everything would be fine...it would be over soon. It went on and on. I had several cruises booked for the next year; I love cruising. I seriously thought that I'd better cancel them and find something else to love. I realized my only sibling didn't know where my will was. We found out the next day that we had sailed through 90-100 mph winds and 45 ft waves! Over 100 glass panels on the ship broke or were cracked.

I felt absolutely terrible the next day. We had an all day excursion to Barcelona and Montserrat and we stayed on board the ship. I was exhausted from being terrified for 3 or so hours. So I'm not saying I know how you feel, but I have an inkling.

The reason I'm telling you this is...yes, I was terrified and not certain I wanted to cruise again. But after some time had passed....I did recover my love of cruising and have gone on to more Celebrity, Royal and NCL cruises.

Don't make any decisions right now. Just rest and let your soul catch up with you.

I know you didn't mean to make me laugh but thats all I could do. The next cruise that I have booked is a Med cruise:(:(:(:(

I know, thank you. I really don't thing things will be all fixed by then. I wish they would just let us switch ships if we don't feel comfortable going on that ship with that captain.

Thats not an unreasonable request IMO but in an effort to try and put you a little more at ease, Captain Claus will not be you Captain on Anthem in a few weeks. I read that he has left Anthem of the Seas as protocol for an investigation. Im not sure we will ever see him back in the fleet again. Its also my understanding that Captain Erik left Brilliance a few years ago the same way and never returned.

It matters because people, like you, are basing their opinion of a ship on what they are reading on the internet. People, like you, have been jumping on every bad thing that has been posted about this ship and this sailing and refuse to see anything else that is posted.

People, you included, need to form their own opinions and stop relying on what they find on the internet. People who are upset about something are more apt to post than people who are happy. If people approach this ship with a jaded view, they are going to have a terrible cruise because they are not open to finding the good.

And before I am called a kool aid drinking cheerleader, move along, I don't care about what people say on the internet, I for my own opinions from my own experiences.

I am mostly sad about having mixed feeling about if i ever want to sail again. I loved sailing but now i don't really know if I want to put myself into a situation like that again. I get that anything can happen anywhere. But knowing that the cruise industry can pretty much do what ever they want with no repercussions is scary. RCCL basically said were sorry for almost killing everyone and from now on we will hold some extra meetings.

Shaun, I've read your posts and agonized along with you. We know how terrified you were. You've been articulate and communicated your terror, the fear for your life, the devastation you observed on the ship, your loss of faith in the captain and the cruise line, and the emotional wringer you went through on this cruise. I encourage you take time to think carefully about whether you really do want to put yourself in a potentially similar situation and take another cruise. You've told us you feared death. That's pretty heavy. And it's likely not something you'll recover from quickly.

You might want to cancel or postpone your upcoming cruises to give yourself some time to recover and think about it. You need to sort out your fear and bad experiences and balance those negatives against your love of sailing. That may take a little time. Please know this is just a suggestion offered in the spirit of compassion. (Although I know that Niatpac29 will call me a name or two and accuse me of something, I'm giving you the exact same advice I'd give my own son.) I wish you well and hope you recover emotionally from this experience.

Judy

Edited by foxgoodrich

Thats not an unreasonable request IMO but in an effort to try and put you a little more at ease, Captain Claus will not be you Captain on Anthem in a few weeks. I read that he has left Anthem of the Seas as protocol for an investigation. Im not sure we will ever see him back in the fleet again. Its also my understanding that Captain Erik left Brilliance a few years ago the same way and never returned.

Thanks! My husband has talked me down off the ledge, lol. I'm going to try and just focus on the fact that I get to be away from work for two weeks and going to the Caribbean beaches that I love. The food will be fine, we have a great cabin. Its going to be great!!! Right??? LOL

IMHO i would say it was somewhere between 30 and 40. Just going by how the curtains in my room would hang when we tilted

Curtains are no way to judge that as was explained somewhere on one of these threads a couple of days ago. 40 degrees and you'd be walking on the walls in the cabin. This from my DH who has been on a US Navy ship that did list 40 degrees during one storm.

It matters because people, like you, are basing their opinion of a ship on what they are reading on the internet. People, like you, have been jumping on every bad thing that has been posted about this ship and this sailing and refuse to see anything else that is posted.

People, you included, need to form their own opinions and stop relying on what they find on the internet. People who are upset about something are more apt to post than people who are happy. If people approach this ship with a jaded view, they are going to have a terrible cruise because they are not open to finding the good.

And before I am called a kool aid drinking cheerleader, move along, I don't care about what people say on the internet, I for my own opinions from my own experiences.

I'm going to do exactly that! My cruise is going to be perfect, because I'm going to make it perfect! I'm done caring about what people are saying are horrible about the food, service, etc..

BTW... I am reading what you are saying"on the Internet"!! LOL

Shaun, I've read your posts and agonized along with you. We know how terrified you were. You've been articulate and communicated your terror, the fear for your life, the devastation you observed on the ship, your loss of faith in the captain and the cruise line, and the emotional wringer you went through on this cruise. I encourage you take time to think carefully about whether you really do want to put yourself in a potentially similar situation and take another cruise. You've told us you feared death. That's pretty heavy. And it's likely not something you'll recover from quickly.

You might want to cancel or postpone your upcoming cruises to give yourself some time to recover and think about it. You need to sort out your fear and bad experiences and balance those negatives against your love of sailing. That may take a little time. Please know this is just a suggestion offered in the spirit of compassion. (Although I know that Niatpak29 will call me a name or two and accuse me of something, I'm giving you the exact same advice I'd give my own son.) I wish you well and hope you recover emotionally from this experience.

Judy

Very well said. :)

IMHO i would say it was somewhere between 30 and 40. Just going by how the curtains in my room would hang when we tilted

I explained that a few days ago. Remember Isacc Newton, the math guy from England. He stated that the if the net force on an object is zero, then it is stationary. Which leads to a couple of obvious things. An object at rest will tend to stay at rest unless some force acts upon it. The other consequence is the one that you witnessed an object in motion will not change its motion unless a force acts upon it.

Simply stated the object your curtain when you are at the dock in Bayonne is hanging straight down. It doesn't move until you open the door and the wind blows it. The force, Luke.

When your ship is at sea the object your curtain, swings it starts in motion due to the force, Gravity, as the ship rolls on the wave. It continues to swing even after the ship has stopped the roll because it is in motion it wants to continue then after the ship rolls the force Gravity is now acting on the curtain in the opposite way and it swings back. The ship might be rolling to 15 degrees, but the curtain could easily swing to 30 degrees or more.

A 15 degree shift in a cruise ship is a huge movement, when people say things like it moved to 30 or even 45 that is a crazy monstrous movement. People are skeptical when those kind of numbers are shared. Could it happen, yes, did it happen. Not likely, in fact I would bet a cruise on it.

JC

Curtains are no way to judge that as was explained somewhere on one of these threads a couple of days ago. 40 degrees and you'd be walking on the walls in the cabin. This from my DH who has been on a US Navy ship that did list 40 degrees during one storm.

Not sure if its accurate.. but someone who was on the ship.. stated some ship experience and figured it was 15-20 degree average.. some moments higher.. some lower.

Another poster took two photos that were posted and used a program to determine the one photo was 12 degrees... the other was 14 degrees.

Being on the ship.. relative to what is normal.. probably felt like 40 or greater for some. But what it "feels" like.. and what it factually was.. is different. Not sure if that information would ever be released. Would be interesting to know

Shaun was actually on the ship. Experiencing it is evidence enough.

Hyperbole is hyperbole, regardless of the experience that motivated it. I sympathize with Shaun and the horrible experience shared with 6,000 other people. But to accuse RCI of nearly killing them is a bit much.

My eyesight is not so good. Can you read the facts to me? So far I have:

1. Anthem of the Seas got caught in a bad storm and had to ride out some very rough seas.

2. The storm was forecast prior to Anthem's departure from NJ. (Though there is some disagreement about exactly how close the forecast was to what was actually encountered.)

3. The ship sustained some minor damage, but there were not serious injuries, and only a handful of minor injuries, to passengers.

4. The cruise was cut short and headed back to NJ trailing behind the storm system.

5. The passengers were promised a full refund of their cruise fare and 50% credit toward a future cruise.

6. Royal Caribbean announced some changes in the way they'll monitor the weather and its potential impact on cruises in the future.

I know there are lots of details I've left out, but what key facts did I miss or get wrong?

You missed that the storm turned into a Bombogenesis (yes it is a term to mean a bomb went off; off the Eastern coast) storm and Anthem was caught in the middle of it. They hadn't predicted that.

Ryano You ment the NEW billion dollar ship.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Not sure if its accurate.. but someone who was on the ship.. stated some ship experience and figured it was 15-20 degree average.. some moments higher.. some lower.

Another poster took two photos that were posted and used a program to determine the one photo was 12 degrees... the other was 14 degrees.

Being on the ship.. relative to what is normal.. probably felt like 40 or greater for some. But what it "feels" like.. and what it factually was.. is different. Not sure if that information would ever be released. Would be interesting to know

This is the best picture I have of something to measure the tilt:

e6a205a07d57fa48e834dc44e1e48b14.jpg