JADE: VEGETARIAN's TREATED LIKE THIRD TIER PASSENGERS!!!

Rashmi

I certainly didn't come here to "discredit, bash or run OP out of town"

I came here, having a daughter who is vegetarian, wondering how someone could have such a huge issue that they felt like they were treated as "third tier passengers"

I shared our own experience, thinking that was what CC was all about! I actually feel offended that my comments are regarded as "sad and pathetic" :mad:

The OP stated that they "made a request for vegetarian food at the time of buying tickets". Well I haven't had that many cruises with NCL or anyone else, but I wasn't aware you could do this. I'm sure someone will tell me if I'm wrong about that. :confused:

One can Email NCL Special Services in advance of their cruise as to their dietary restrictions - be it health, allergy, religious or a diet by choice. My niece is a vegan by choice.

I took her on the Jewel in April. This is a sister ship to Jade. Coincidentally, we are booked on the Jade next year. In retrospect, I would say she was pleased with her dining options. And a vegan diet is much more restrictive as a vegetarian.

The one restaurant we had difficulty in was Chin Chin. All of the entrees have an animal protein. They would not serve her one sans animal. Leads me to believe these are cooked and held in bulk. She ended up ordering sushi veggie rolls.

Most mornings she had fruit, cereal, nuts, granola, etc. they providec soy milk.

For lunch there were salads, stir fry, veggie burgers, pizza without cheese with veggies, veggie sandwiches, veggie tacos and much more.

Teppenyaki was easy. Her tofu entree was cooked in oil and she had steamed rice, veggies and fruit shashimi.

In Italian she had pasta with marinara.

In Le Bistro they made her a gorgeous portabella stack. It is slightly modified from the regular one on the menu. Fruit sorbet for dessert.

Snack time was crudite with tomato vinaigrette.

She can't wait until our cruise next year where I am confident NCL will meet and/or exceed our expectations. Oh, we do not expect them to provide her a personal chef at her disposal, but rather a few options from which to choose.

Edited by DMH15

One can Email NCL Special Services in advance of their cruise as to their dietary restrictions - be it health, allergy, religious or a diet by choice. My niece is a vegan by choice.

I took her on the Jewel in April. This is a sister ship to Jade. Coincidentally, we are booked on the Jade next year. In retrospect, I would say she was pleased with her dining options. And a vegan diet is much more restrictive as a vegetarian.

The one restaurant we had difficulty in was Chin Chin. All of the entrees have an animal protein. They would not serve her one sans animal. Leads me to believe these are cooked and held in bulk. She ended up ordering sushi veggie rolls.

Most mornings she had fruit, cereal, nuts, granola, etc. they providec soy milk.

For lunch there were salads, stir fry, veggie burgers, pizza without cheese with veggies, veggie sandwiches, veggie tacos and much more.

Teppenyaki was easy. Her tofu entree was cooked in oil and she had steamed rice, veggies and fruit shashimi.

In Le Bistro they made her a gorgeous portabella stack. It is slightly modified from the regular one on the menu. Fruit sorbet for dessert.

She can't wait until our cruise next year where I am confident NCL will meet and/or exceed our expectations. Oh, we do not expect them to provide her a personal chef at her disposal, but rather a few options from which to choose.

I think we can draw a line under this thread now

Then I stand corrected.

Could you possibly point me in the right direction for making such a request as our DD may cruise with us next time?

Edited to add that I found something on NCL's page.....We can accommodate special food requests (Gluten-Free, Vegetarian, Kosher) if we're notified in time. Let our Access Desk know you're coming at least 8 weeks prior to cruising to ensure the best experience possible.

Just curious to know what this would entail? Pre-ordering vegetarian meals for each day?

My dad has celiac, and yes. She could either ask what on the menu was gluten free, or meet with someone the night before to order the meals for the next day. It was great!

Thank you for the info...it's appreciated. We didn't have our DD with us on the Jade, but as I said, we always check and see if she would have been well fed.....and we believe she would have been, without having to make any special requests. But it's useful to know that those requests CAN be made.

This is why I love CC......always useful info to be found from fellow travellers. :)

I certainly didn't come here to "discredit, bash or run OP out of town"

I came here, having a daughter who is vegetarian, wondering how someone could have such a huge issue that they felt like they were treated as "third tier passengers"

The OP stated that they "made a request for vegetarian food at the time of buying tickets". Well I haven't had that many cruises with NCL or anyone else, but I wasn't aware you could do this. I'm sure someone will tell me if I'm wrong about that. :confused:

I wasn't being funny. I was saying you are wrong in thinking you can't make a request.

I know you can on CCL, NCL and Princess. Some ask you on booking page if you have special dietary needs and others have a number to call. You can always call the cruise of your choice and request it also.

The booking site I use lists what the cruise line can do for you. Example; Kosher, Low salt, Non Gluten, Diabetic.

Sorry if I sounded harsh, not intending to.

I wasn't being funny. I was saying you are wrong in thinking you can't make a request.

I know you can on CCL, NCL and Princess. Some ask you on booking page if you have special dietary needs and others have a number to call. You can always call the cruise of your choice and request it also.

The booking site I use lists what the cruise line can do for you. Example; Kosher, Low salt, Non Gluten, Diabetic.

Sorry if I sounded harsh, not intending to.

No need to apologise, I thought I had understood which part of my post you were replying to.:)

I appreciate you giving me the information, I genuinely didn't know that the option was available.

I have no issues with sharing personal experiences or correcting factual inaccuracies.

But if you read this forum daily it is demoralizing and negative energy. It's a small cluster of people that are mean spirited. Everyone has to be SOMETHING behind a keyboard I suppose. Nice and helpful is easier than mean spirited and hateful.

when you have someone come on CC and it is there first post many flags pop up

Than when when being critical of their favorite cruiseline they do get a little defensive and protective

To the OP I call BS

Than when when being critical of their favorite cruiseline they do get a little defensive and protective

To the OP I call BS

The big warning flag was Mr. H excusing himself and walking away. Generally when a supervisor washes their hands of you and walks away, they have realized you cannot be pleased for whatever reason. Either it has just gone that bad or the guest simply is unreasonable and cannot be made happy with reasonable effort. Complaining about the "meat smell" when most of your fellow passengers are dyed in the wool, red meat eating Americans is very unrealistic.

The OP might as well complained he couldn't get a pork chop at the neighborhood Kosher market or that the Indian restaurant run by Hindus won't serve a hamburger. I doubt the OP is going to find a much better experience on any mass market cruise line serving the US.

It is my opinion that you "people" are lower forms of life. And you were treated accordingly. Every single let I've brought to people like you always die in the office.

3 dogs, 2 birds, snake, chicken, goat & lets not forget L'il peanut my pot belly pig. Sure you charge thousands. However, it's always the same story. So, you got what you deserve. What makes you think when your onboard you should get special treatment.

To the OP I call BS

And there is nothing wrong with this. yes, some are overly protective, but some perform a good service. Plenty of people come to these boards to find out what kind of experience they may have on a cruise. And when "trolls" post threads with more holes than swiss cheese, I expect the bashers to come out and shed some healthy skepticism.

To the OP I call BS

It is OK for someone to post THEIR first post THERE!

Seems to me that the OP wanted special off the menu meals cooked for him/her. Possibly if the OP would have spoken with dining services when he/she first got on the ship, the outcome would have been a lot better.

BINGO! We have a winner.

Always found many vegetarian options AND if you ask the Indian chefs and servers they will go overboard trying to please you with vegetarian food.

However, I gather that you wanted pure Indian vegetarian food cooked separately by a brahmin maharaj cook, using a "pure" kitchen and utensils...that is next to impossible on any cruise ship. Sorry.

Edited by Arzeena

Sorry you didn't enjoy the Jade. I was on in July with a vegetarian and a gluten free. They went out of their way to bring us menus the night before, asking constantly if they make anything to our tastes. I got involved and asked for a baked alaska and they even brought that.

As for removing meat from the buffet, that's pretty unreasonable. We all have to put up with items/smells we don't like from time to time. Also the differences in cooking types - when you are making food for people from all over the world with ingredients from different locations things sometimes taste different. I guess an indian cruise line would make them perfectly, just like NCL make a burger well.

Still waiting for the OP to return . :rolleyes:

It is my opinion that you "people" are lower forms of life. And you were treated accordingly. Every single let I've brought to people like you always die in the office.

3 dogs, 2 birds, snake, chicken, goat & lets not forget L'il peanut my pot belly pig. Sure you charge thousands. However, it's always the same story. So, you got what you deserve. What makes you think when your onboard you should get special treatment.

Oh, boy... My bad. I thought you were a Veterinarian.
Hoo Boy :confused:

Truth be told , threads like this and posts like that are what makes CC so interesting .

I find long complaint posts very hard to believe, especially this one. My adult daughter is a strict vegan. NCL has always gone out of their way to meet her needs -- special pasta dishes, tofu stir fries, non-daily pizzas, etc. They have done this several times as we are happy return customers.