What are your personal Top Tips for Royal Princess?

LMaxwell

My biggest tip about the Royal Princess is that the library had almost no books when I was on in October. At one point, there were about 15 fiction books. I like to read a real book and I don't like hauling them with me, so I went to the library and found virtually no books. Unless something has changed, I suggest you stock up your eReader or bring along books if you're a reader.

PS. I really enjoyed the Royal.

Agreed - although it seemed to grow as the cruise went on, so stop by every day! We also enjoyed the daily soduku at the library.

My #1 tip would be to hang out on deck 16 aft by the Outriggers Bar. There was always somewhere to sit and enjoy the view of the wake.

Neighbors just returned from a Royal cruise and we are sailing on Royal on the 23rd of March. There is a BOGO beverage Happy Hour from 3 to 4 PM (supposedly) at each bar/lounge. This is new and my Royal Princess representative thought this to be true.

Buy a coffee card if you would enjoy the International Café. Their Pizzeria restaurant has always been a mid-day favorite.

Happy hours were only at two bars when we were onboard. Crooner's from 3-4 buy one, get second drink for $1, and same deal every night at Club 6 from 11:00 pm to 12:00 midnight. There might have been a third venue for happy hour but I'm not sure where or when

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I usually get a coffee card, but they serve real brewed coffee that tastes great in the dining rooms and the buffet! I enjoyed a latte or 2 - but did not feel compelled to take good coffee with me in the dining room & buffet. You can use a punch on the coffee card for sundaes in the gelato shop. Enjoy Alfredo's! Also - if you like wine, the Winemakers dinner is fabulous and a great value! We did it 3 times on a 28 day TA&Baltic cruise!

I have a VERY secret offering on the Royal that actually brought on some confusion and frustration. I also must add that nothing ever spoils a cruise...I always keep in mind how fortunate I / we are to be able to be on a ship enjoying life! I also always remember that the wonderful staff working at these locations on board are not the ones making decisions so I never treat them with anything but full respect....and good humor! :D

On to the ' on the down low' information....

At the Gelateria, the offerings as described on Princess.com are "fresh gelato, sundaes, waffle cones and more". I had read on CC that on the Royal, they served Crepes there as well. I just love a good Crepe! Getting one however is not easy! :(

The first time I tried for a Crepe after returning from port, I was told that Crepes were only offered between 2 PM - 4 PM. The following port day, I went during the Crepe hours only to be told that it was only done on Sea Days! Ugh! I asked the young man working why this wasn't in writing anywhere and why it was such a small time that they were available. He stated they don't want to make a lot of them! :) .....and they certainly were not! LOL!

I looked at the menu and there is nothing stating ANY of this information. I also looked in the Patters accumulated for the week. Nothing noting any of the specifics was in print....anywhere.....not even anywhere at the Gelato Shop itself!

So on the following Sea Day between 2 PM - 4 PM, I finally was able to enjoy a Crepe.

I believe that the cost for a small but delicious Crepe was $2.75. On the menu there were 4 or 5 Crepes listed. The young man that would be making my Crepe also told me he could make anything I asked...if he had the ingredients. I enjoyed a banana with hot fudge Crepe topped with a caramel sauce and whipped cream! YUM!

I have a few sea days coming up on the Royal starting on March 23rd. I plan on trying to have a Crepe on those days! ;) :D

No stairs for passengers on midship.

This was the one thing we missed most on this ship. On other ships we'd love walking the stairs up and down in the morning when we go to the Horizon Court from the Caribe Deck.

Also, trying to get on the mid ship elevators during peak dinner times took quite a while at times.

The Royal Tea was lovely. Make a reservation. I was alone , so got in and joined by another single. I saw people turned away that were not happy. It is a very small group. They do a nice job. You may want to skip lunch, which I did. Also did the tea in main dining room. Also nice. The tea was very good.

Edited by Pmorton3360

• 2 weeks later...

[*]the Winemakers Dinner - $40 per person, 3 courses each with unlimited wines paired to each course. Limited to 12 and only offered once on our 2 10 day B2B cruises (first cruise not enough signed up).

Question:

How does one go about finding out about the Winemakers' Dinner?

can we pre-reserve? and what night was it on? We're on the Royal 10 April

Thanks

Edited by Cleo1611

[*]the Winemakers Dinner - $40 per person, 3 courses each with unlimited wines paired to each course. Limited to 12 and only offered once on our 2 10 day B2B cruises (first cruise not enough signed up).

Question:

How does one go about finding out about the Winemakers' Dinner?

can we pre-reserve? and what night was it on? We're on the Royal 10 April

Thanks

I didn't wait to see it listed in the Patter. Instead I called the DINE line on the first cruise and asked to be put on the list and told them if it didn't get enough sign ups to put us on the list for the second cruise. They called us towards the end of the 1st cruise and said not enough signed up but we were successful on the 2nd cruise. That said, I'm not sure it was ever advertised in the Patter.

We tried the fondue for the first time and really enjoyed it. If you enjoy cheese you probably will like it. It was held only one time on the last evening of the cruise. Make sure you try Alfredo's (no charge) either for lunch or dinner, nice. The Royal's buffet is a lot better than other Princess ships that I have been on. It does get a little confusing as there are so many items to choose from in so many locations. Fresh made omelets at the last buffet counter aft. Fresh made waffles are in the Pastry Shop area. If warm it is nice to eat on the Horizon Ct. Terrace. all the way aft.

Most evenings there were three shows in the theater. The 8:15 show was always full the early and late shows were not so full.

We had the Beatle Maniacs tribute band. Hope you also get them. Their show is almost an hour long and you have to get your seat in the theater around 45 mins early. They also did a show, different songs, in the Piazza which was very crowded with people dancing. It was very crowded.

Are you a singer, or hope to be one? Try out for "The Voice of the Ocean." It is unlike any other passenger show that I have seen. The 8 that make the cut rehearse with the live Princess Orchestra, backup singers and all, get coached, and then put on a live performance on stage in the theater, with all the lighting, live music, sound, and yes those red rotating chairs. It was quite the experience.

If you have any specific questions, just ask. We just spent 34 days on board.

The jogging track is great! There are lanes for joggers and walkers. This is a true improvement over the Grand Class jogging tracks.

There is an espresso bar in the Horizon Court where the pastries are housed. It is so nice to be able to get a nice coffee drink on the upper decks!

The Wedding Chapel is on the Riveria Deck, and it is a very quiet place to enjoy (when it is no in use).

Don't miss Kory Simon in Crooners bar in the evenings, eat at Alfredo's at least once, and don't miss the special dinners in the buffet (German, Brazilian, etc). I actually liked the buffet food better than the mdr.

Kory Simon was great! But his contract was up January 29, 2016. I hope Princess brings him back. Three shows a night all shows were full.

Tony

My biggest tip about the Royal Princess is that the library had almost no books when I was on in October. At one point, there were about 15 fiction books. I like to read a real book and I don't like hauling them with me, so I went to the library and found virtually no books. Unless something has changed, I suggest you stock up your eReader or bring along books if you're a reader.

sAD... i AM WITH YOU, LIKE REAL BOOKS.

Agree with all this. I would add that we also really enjoyed two additional fee offerings:

• the Winemakers Dinner - $40 per person, 3 courses each with unlimited wines paired to each course. Limited to 12 and only offered once on our 2 10 day B2B cruises (first cruise not enough signed up).
  • The Ocean Terrace Seafood Bar on the Promenade Deck overlooking the atrium had sushi, oysters and a fabulous crab margarita at reasonable prices. We ate a light dinner there twice.

We did winemakers dinner 3 times on B2B in Feb-March. Thought it a bargain for $40 per. Call the dine line for informaton

Thanks for all the hints & tips. I board the Regal April 17th for 25 days, can't wait. :)

I haven't sailed Royal or Regal so I'm anxious to see for myself about the stairs issue. I usually don't use elevators, first day, last day, not a fan of them.

I'm mid-ship on Baja deck, I'll walk to the forward or aft stairs to access the top decks. On other ships I rarely used center stairs so I don't think it will be an issue.

Thanks for all the hints & tips. I board the Regal April 17th for 25 days, can't wait. :)

I haven't sailed Royal or Regal so I'm anxious to see for myself about the stairs issue. I usually don't use elevators, first day, last day, not a fan of them.

I'm mid-ship on Baja deck, I'll walk to the forward or aft stairs to access the top decks. On other ships I rarely used center stairs so I don't think it will be an issue.

You just have to get used to which stairs go all the way down. We got lost for the first few days. It seems to be a bit more complicated than "just use the aft stairs". Sorry to be so vague but you will see what I mean when you get on the Royal. You will be fine after a few days.

We don't like lifts but sometimes it was just easier (if the lifts were empty) to take a lift rather than walk to the end of the ship and back again.

Nice ship good service. I like a particular mocktail and they don't measure the ingredients out. They guess. Each barman gets it the same each time which is great. You just have to go to every bar until you find a barman who makes it how you like it and keep going back there. They don't like to be told how to make it, I found. Obviously I am particular about my drinks! [emoji41]

It is much much quicker to get your mocktail and take it to lunch or dinner whether in horizon court or a dining room rather than order it there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We did the Sanctuary on 2 10 day B2Bs on the Royal in October and had no problem with 'hurricane winds on sea days.' The first cruise we had lounges right up against the bow; the second we had a cabana (an upgrade given to us by the Sanctuary manager) on the port side. We greatly enjoyed the Sanctuary on the Royal (moreso than our other Sanctuary experience on the Ruby Princess).

We did a tour of the sanctuary and it was lovely. Our cruise to the British isles was too cold to consider it but my DH said he'd definitely pay extra if he did a cruise in a warm climate. He is not into paying extra for things so this is a big tick for the sanctuary! [emoji2]

there were great books in the library on the first day behind closed glass doors. My tip is to go the very first time the library opens and snaffle a good one. People take the whole cruise to read a book so you won't see them again [emoji24]

The horizon court and horizon buffet (right next to one another but with different decor) have different food. Take the time to tour both to get the best selection. We had breakfast and lunch there everyday and the selection is huge and varied.

We had anytime dining at got to the dining room at 6:45 or so every night and had no trouble getting a table. We were flexible - anything from a table for two to eight. We found a bigger table took too long as some people has 2 starters and 2 mains and 2 desserts and the whole table had to wait for them.

Coincidentally we usually ended up I. The same dining section and the head waiter there was great.