Really Bizarre Mariner's Reception

doublebzz

OP, thanks for posting about that dismal "Welcome Aboard"

Sure doesn't sound like anyone from HAL was particularly welcoming. :(

Not nice. If they aren't going to do it right, don't do it.

With all the changes that happened, we never saw the captain the second week. The Hotel Manager had a party for high star Mariners.

We weren't even invited to the awards ceremony before the brunch the second week.

With all the changes that happened, we never saw the captain the second week. The Hotel Manager had a party for high star Mariners.

We weren't even invited to the awards ceremony before the brunch the second week.

I think it awful.

A Platinum Medallion Holder should be invited to any and all Mariner Events. I had that specific conversation with someone from the Mariners Society when we met with him and we were told they never expect for a Platinum Holder to not go to every Reception while aboard.

We always went to the reception all segments we were on the ship.

Loyalty goes in two directions. It cannot be a one way street.

Not on our cruise. If you wanted something other than that cheap sparkling wine, you had to pay for it. Nothing else was free.

We went down to our cabin and while we unpacked 3 of our 4 suitcases, we had a Grey Goose on the rocks.

My experience exactly. However, at the Suites/4,5 Star Reception, you could order your drink of choosing. But there again, the officers greeted us on the receiving line but never mingled with the guests for the most part. The exception was the Captain who chatted a few minutes with a guest sitting next to us. He was in a Pinnacle Suite and had done a couple of world cruises so apparently knew the Captain or the Captain knew he was a premier customer. That the Captain didn't turn his head 45 degrees just to acknowledge us I thought was kind of rude, or at best, disinterest.

That isn't the point.

Sure if someone wants to taxi from their hotel or the airport to the dock, drop off their luggage, check in and go back to a taxi, go to lunch, back in a taxi and back to the ship, they certainly can do that. Doesn't sound all that relaxing to me.

The point is if HAL is going to run a Welcome Aboard, shouldn't there be someone in the venue to say "Welcome Aboard"? This is all about money..... as are all things on all cruise ships.

Exactly. If not why eat any meals on board? For those that appeals to that's great. It's not a one size fits all solution.

Sounds like it varies by ship and cruise as we have done the same as DaveOKC on occasion. Imagine that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These days, it seems that just about everything varies from ship to ship and nothing consistent with HAL.:(

I think it awful.

A Platinum Medallion Holder should be invited to any and all Mariner Events. I had that specific conversation with someone from the Mariners Society when we met with him and we were told they never expect for a Platinum Holder to not go to every Reception while aboard.

We always went to the reception all segments we were on the ship.

Loyalty goes in two directions. It cannot be a one way street.

I hate that HAL is getting more and more inconsistent with nearly everything -- food, parties, etc.

I am appreciative HAL has been very good to my late DH and me and enjoyed a great many special treats. Now that I will travel solo, it makes me uncomfortable to think I don't know what to expect, what will no longer exist or has changed so radically it will no longer appeal to me. I have looked to book HAL several times recently and somehow still resisted though admittedly for a number of reasons specific and personal to me.

We used to always know mostly what to expect from HAL and that comfort zone would be very welcome to me now but I don't know any of us can count on that.

My experience exactly. However, at the Suites/4,5 Star Reception, you could order your drink of choosing. But there again, the officers greeted us on the receiving line but never mingled with the guests for the most part. The exception was the Captain who chatted a few minutes with a guest sitting next to us. He was in a Pinnacle Suite and had done a couple of world cruises so apparently knew the Captain or the Captain knew he was a premier customer. That the Captain didn't turn his head 45 degrees just to acknowledge us I thought was kind of rude, or at best, disinterest.

The first week of our Collector's Cruise, there was what we all used to call the VIP party and we were invited to that one. It always remains a mystery to me as to who is invited to them as we have not always been invited. Since we had just had dinner, got an after dinner drink without any problems.

The second week it was just those of us with high number days that were invited -- no captain -- hotel manager and a few other people -- really no officers. Once again -- after dinner drinks for us.

About us -- as I said -- high number of days (around 900 - maybe more -- actual Sea Days -- I do not count these extra points you get for spending and being in a suite) and the majority of the time we are in the Penthouse.

We never bother with these.

Is this supposed to be a perk for Mariners or does everyone get an invite now?

If it is a perk, really it is really a stretch to consider it as one. Seems like more of an annoyance to us just to have a piece of cheese with some olive on top and stale bread under, and a thimble full of fizzy sweet plonk.

Edited by iancal

These days, it seems that just about everything varies from ship to ship and nothing consistent with HAL.:(

In each survey following the cruise, the question is asked if I would recommend HAL to a friend or relative and the answer is always NO. And then in the comment section I explain that I can't recommend HAL as I have no idea what HAL experience that person would have due to the many inconsistencies. I've been doing that for a while...........see how much difference my comments make!! :rolleyes:

And by the way, on our last B2B, we were only invited to the second Mariner's reception before the brunch. That was the first time we've not been invited to both.

One solution to a peaceful start to a cruise: Have lunch in town and board later in the afternoon. But drop off your luggage first, so it is ready for you after you board.

such a simple idea and solves a number of problems for some :) Nothing wrong with enjoying lunch elsewhere before boarding ;)

Such a reasonable solution! :D While dropping off luggage pre-lunch won't work at some ports, a person can still have lunch (albeit with their luggage) before heading to the port. Or eat at the pre-cruise hotel and have the bellman look after the luggage.

If you read all the posts, I can assure you that what DaveOKC did can't be done on all ships.

I have never once been denied a glass of red wine at any HAL hosted party. They pass the tray with glasses of the bubbles, white and red and if not, I go to the bar and request it. My DH was never refused his 'drink of choice'. Usually the bartender saw him coming and started pouring. :D

Edited by sail7seas

If you read all the posts, I can assure you that what DaveOKC did can't be done on all ships.

This was my first Mariner Welcome party, since its a new "thing" for HAL, so I cannot be sure you can do it everytime. I have done this at many other HAL parties on a number of different ships though.

I only ask for a glass of the house wine, as the cost is about the same as the champagne. Besides, if they say "no", its not a big deal to me as I would not drink the champagne anyway and I would be prepared to pay for a glass of wine.

As they say - all you can do it try and see what happens.

Edited by DaveOKC

On the Prinsendam's 12/19/15 sailing, the Embarkation Lunch was held in the MDR with a mostly different menu from any that I have ever seen, but with service that made me fear for the rest of the cruise. Which, fortunately, was at the HAL standard that I have come to expect. I was not aware of any special Crow's Nest Mariner Reception. Really don't think that happened.

It's a pity that this kind of thread, dealing with the inconsistencies of HAL product that we have all experienced in recent years, doesn't reach the eyes of Mr. Ashford, Mr. Kruse, and Mr. Donald.

It is

Nobody is going to miss anything ... the MDR is still open on embarkation day for ALL passengers, Mariners or not.

The main dining room on Noordam was not open for lunch on embarkation day 25th October 2015, in Sydney Australia.

We checked both levels of the dining room, no one there except for a couple of stewards setting the tables for dinner. They were surprised that we were expecting lunch in the Main Dining Room.

Two weeks ago on NA, we were invited to the Crow's Nest at 2:00 (I believe). We were a few minutes early and were not permitted in "because we have to wait for the Captain and officers to arrive". We were permitted to enter right at 2:00, which is fine...and there was quite a crowd...however I did not see any officers there. We were served the "Champagne" and hors d'oeuvres.

Nobody is going to miss anything ... the MDR is still open on embarkation day for ALL passengers, Mariners or not.

Well you better advise Hal of that. The Amsterdam was not open for embarkation for the world cruise. It was also not open for either segment of the oosterdam's last two cruises. That said for one they were doing a deep cleaning. Others have also reported it not bring open. While this may have been the case before that appears to have changed.

I have never once been denied a glass of red wine at any HAL hosted party. They pass the tray with glasses of the bubbles, white and red and if not, I go to the bar and request it. My DH was never refused his 'drink of choice'. Usually the bartender saw him coming and started pouring. :D

This new afternoon Mariner's party on embarkation day is replacing the Suite Welcome Aboard party and the VIP parties. Different rules for drinks.

It was nothing but a mob scene on the Eurodam.

This new afternoon Mariner's party on embarkation day is replacing the Suite Welcome Aboard party and the VIP parties. Different rules for drinks.

It was nothing but a mob scene on the Eurodam.

Nearly all the reports I've read have pretty much described something of a mob scene. Not for me, thanks! HAL used to do things with a bit of style, but now they seem bound and determined to take everything down to the lowest level. Embarkation lunch was a lovely way to kick off your cruise, Suite Reception included captain and officers and staff, all made you feel somewhat valued. No way would I go into a crowded Crows Nest for a glass of cheap fizzy wine.:eek:

Well you better advise Hal of that. The Amsterdam was not open for embarkation for the world cruise. It was also not open for either segment of the oosterdam's last two cruises. That said for one they were doing a deep cleaning. Others have also reported it not bring open. While this may have been the case before that appears to have changed.

No need to advise HAL. I have faith that someone there does know what they are doing. ;)

Others may report what they experienced, and I may report what we experienced. We have been on over 15 HAL cruises (four of them in the past year) and have never been refused entry into the MDR on embarkation day.

No need to advise HAL. I have faith that someone there does know what they are doing. ;)

Others may report what they experienced, and I may report what we experienced. We have been on over 15 HAL cruises (four of them in the past year) and have never been refused entry into the MDR on embarkation day.

Yes I also took 4 cruises last year. I've done many more than 15 cruises on Hal. The lunch was available for all of them. I do understand however that things change. I'm hopeful that the MDR will be open fir my April cruise but I'll be prepared if it won't.

Edited by cruz chic

Yes I also took 4 cruises last year. I've done many more than 15 cruises on Hal. The lunch was available for all of them. I do understand however that things change. I'm hopeful that the MDR will be open fir my April cruise but I'll be prepared if it won't.

It was not opened for lunch on Westy embarkation Sat., Feb 6th nor any of the in-port days. On this 7 day cruise, the MDR was opened for lunch only on the two sea days. Just reporting on what I experienced.