Really Bizarre Mariner's Reception

doublebzz

As most know, the former Mariner's Embarkation Luncheon has been replaced by an embarkation day reception. Last Saturday, we embarked on Westerdam about 12:30 for a 4pm sailing. Upon arrival in our cabin we noticed an invitation for the reception at 2pm in the Crow's Nest. So, after lunch around 2, and out of curiosity more than anything else, we headed up to the Crow's Nest. Like who wants to have sparkling wine and o'dourves immediately following lunch? As we entered the Crow's Nest, there was no one to greet us nor any ship's staff even present. We were immediately offered the wine and o'dourves by an abundance of servers and seated ourselves. Perhaps another 15-20 people joined the affair and sat by themselves. After about 20 minutes or so, most folks puzzled like ourselves, simply left and went about our day. How bizarre is this?

That's unfortunate, our last cruise we went to the reception and it was packed. Many ships officers also walking around greeting the passengers. It was okay and honestly we would rather have this than the same old "welcome" luncheon, maybe your next experience will be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The one we had on the Eurodam in October was horrible.

It was at 1:30 in the Crow's Nest. We got there by about 1:25 and it was packed. We found DH a seat and I used the seat on my Rollator.

We had to get our own cheap glass of sparkling wine -- I only took a sip -- too bitter. Never saw anyone with appetizers.

No one to greet us. But within a few minutes the cellar master showed up and started to do a pitch about the various wine packages. No other officers.

We didn't even get an invitation for the one the second week of our cruise.

Anyone could have attended this so called Mariner's reception.

We didn't go to the one on Oosterdam this time. I think we were given the invitation at check-in, but I'm not sure.

Last year on Westerdam, we got there about a half hour into the reception. There was nobody at the door, just a sign that said "private party" or something like that. It was very crowded (maybe because nobody was checking invitations at the door?), we got a glass of something sparkly, walked around, chatted with a few people and then left because there was nowhere to sit. On that cruise, they had the MDR open for lunch, so we got "both" welcomes.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

Yep. I'm living proof. DW and I stumbled upon it in October on Oosterdam. A sign said Mariner's Reception. We thought...hey, we're Mariner's...so we went in. We were only 1 star though. We had no idea until later on that this particular event was for higher stars. Didn't matter anyways because the event was exactly as described in this thread. No one spoke, there were no officers mingling, no music, and the only person that came around was the cellar master pushing wine packages and events.

It was at 1:30 in the Crow's Nest. We got there by about 1:25 and it was packed. We found DH a seat and I used the seat on my Rollator.

We had to get our own cheap glass of sparkling wine -- I only took a sip -- too bitter. Never saw anyone with appetizers.

No one to greet us. But within a few minutes the cellar master showed up and started to do a pitch about the various wine packages. No other officers.

I couldn't even get an elevator to get up to the reception. I really wish Hal would quit eliminating every lunch in the MDR.

I couldn't even get an elevator to get up to the reception. I really wish Hal would quit eliminating every lunch in the MDR.

I agree. I'm happy with the Lido for quick and light lunch most days, but on embarkation day I really enjoyed the peaceful lunch in the MDR. It isn't about the Mariner perks. I don't care if they limit it to Mariners or make it open to anyone who wants to go, I just want the quiet start to my cruise.

I agree. I'm happy with the Lido for quick and light lunch most days, but on embarkation day I really enjoyed the peaceful lunch in the MDR. It isn't about the Mariner perks. I don't care if they limit it to Mariners or make it open to anyone who wants to go, I just want the quiet start to my cruise.

I really don't care if they open it to everyone. It should be. I hate the lido.

Agree, although we prefer the MDR for lunch any day. Disappointed that the MDR appears to be closed now on all port days, too.

Our solution to that is the Pinnacle for lunch, which is certainly in HAL's favour, since they make some money on that and not on the MDR.

Agree, although we prefer the MDR for lunch any day. Disappointed that the MDR appears to be closed now on all port days, too.

Our solution to that is the Pinnacle for lunch, which is certainly in HAL's favour, since they make some money on that and not on the MDR.

I go to the pinnacle too but the menu doesn't change everyday like the MDR.

Nobody is going to miss anything ... the MDR is still open on embarkation day for ALL passengers, Mariners or not.

Not always. Wasn't open on my recent cruise. And from what I've been reading here over the past few months, it seems to be closed on embarkation day more often than it's open. Another case of HAL's inconsistency.

Not always. Wasn't open on my recent cruise. And from what I've been reading here over the past few months, it seems to be closed on embarkation day more often than it's open. Another case of HAL's inconsistency.

HAL is making a lot of changes.

One thing we learned in talking to pax on HAL cruises is that they like it that HAL is dependable: you know what you are going to get, no surprises.

Not now, I guess, until this latest round of changes settles down. The famous HAL inconsistency is another big, ongoing, problem.

Edited by SilvertoGold

One solution to a peaceful start to a cruise: Have lunch in town and board later in the afternoon. But drop off your luggage first, so it is ready for you after you board.

such a simple idea and solves a number of problems for some :) Nothing wrong with enjoying lunch elsewhere before boarding ;)

That isn't the point.

Sure if someone wants to taxi from their hotel or the airport to the dock, drop off their luggage, check in and go back to a taxi, go to lunch, back in a taxi and back to the ship, they certainly can do that. Doesn't sound all that relaxing to me.

The point is if HAL is going to run a Welcome Aboard, shouldn't there be someone in the venue to say "Welcome Aboard"? This is all about money..... as are all things on all cruise ships.

Just a note to everyone who does not like the champagne that HAL serves at these parties. I just skip the champagne they are handing out and go up to the bar and ask for a glass of wine (or red) wine - never a problem nor a charge.

On our recent Zuiderdam TA after eating lunch in the MDR we attended the Mariner's Reception. The CD and one other ship representative were verbally welcoming the guests as we/they were entering the Crows Nest. Complimentary drinks and snacks were provided. We enjoyed it.

That isn't the point.

Sure if someone wants to taxi from their hotel or the airport to the dock, drop off their luggage, check in and go back to a taxi, go to lunch, back in a taxi and back to the ship, they certainly can do that. Doesn't sound all that relaxing to me.

Some departure ports are more accommodating than others, of course. Good ones that allow for a good lunch dockside with minimal fuss and even have views of the ship: San Diego, Vancouver and Barcelona, Rotterdam ...... others may come to mind. Wouldn't work in Fort Lauderdale.

Just a note to everyone who does not like the champagne that HAL serves at these parties. I just skip the champagne they are handing out and go up to the bar and ask for a glass of wine (or red) wine - never a problem nor a charge.

Not on our cruise. If you wanted something other than that cheap sparkling wine, you had to pay for it. Nothing else was free.

We went down to our cabin and while we unpacked 3 of our 4 suitcases, we had a Grey Goose on the rocks.

I've done that, too. :)

Some departure ports are more accommodating than others, of course. Good ones that allow for a good lunch dockside with minimal fuss and even have views of the ship: San Diego, Vancouver and Barcelona, Rotterdam ...... others may come to mind. Wouldn't work in Fort Lauderdale.

Rotterdam is a huge harbor. Not so convenient to get lunch there. :)