seafood???

turtleash

So this is our first time on a Celebrity, leaving March 26th out of San Juan. We want to book a specialty dining one evening and wonder does anyone know when or if they do lobster or any special seafood on any particular night. Would like to go to MD for that.

Also how many and what days a formal nights?

Not sure how you missed the news but no formal nights for several months now. There is usually lobster on either or the last two nights. Absolutely no reason to book the specialty restaurants ahead as discounts as likely to be larger on board and availability is only limited by the time slots filling.

Not sure how you missed the news but no formal nights for several months now. There is usually lobster on either or the last two nights. Absolutely no reason to book the specialty restaurants ahead as discounts as likely to be larger on board and availability is only limited by the time slots filling.

This is our first celebrity cruise been on other lines just the first with celebrity. And in march was our first Holland Cruise so lots of research going on and didn't hear that's all.

Thanks for the other information, any other Celebrity tips other that what I have asked is welcome from anyone

If you are a fan of seafood, The Porch is a specialty restaurant that serves seafood and has a seafood tower. Might make for a good lunch. It's next to the Lawn Club Grill.

Unfortunately, the porch is not on the Summit which sails out of San Juan. Your choices are limited to Qsine and Tuscan Grille (which will debut on her on March 12th as she exits Drydock.

Also, Lobster in the MDR is usually on Thursday night as Friday night is crazy busy with everyone packing, etc...

Steve

There is usually warm water lobster tail on the last formal night in the MDR. Salmon is available every night. Other nights, there is usually a seafood selection such as shrimp scampi, halibut, etc. Shrimp cocktail is available nightly.

I know it's weird, but on ships, seafood is NOT the best! Odd, isn't it? The "lobster tails" are usually "warm water" rock lobster, which is NOT a sweet as cold water lobster tail....

You know you can BUY lobster tail at home? It's easy to cook...and tasty, too!

Have to agree with CB. In fact, when we spend a pre cruise night in Ft Lauderdale we know that our best seafood meal will be at Kelly's Landing in Ft Lauderdale :). Cruise ship seafood is all frozen (except for a few high end lines that purchase some seafood locally) and it is hard to maintain quality when cooking hundreds (or thousands) or meals at the same time. We have long wondered about the big deal made over the warm water lobster tails now served on most ships (we have a local diner in PA that has better lobster tail at $19.99 for 2 tails! Salmon does freeze well and we have found its often the best seafood on any ship. Most cruise line fish is now "farmed fish" which just does not have the same flavor as fish caught in the wild. And they tend to use species (like barimundi and tilapia) that have very little flavor...and when farmed has even less flavor!

Hank

So this is our first time on a Celebrity, leaving March 26th out of San Juan. We want to book a specialty dining one evening and wonder does anyone know when or if they do lobster or any special seafood on any particular night. Would like to go to MD for that.

Also how many and what days a formal nights?

Here is a link to all of the MDR menus - not sure which order they'll appear on your cruise, but personally I would have a look and just identify which of them appeal to me the least, then try to find out on board which night that menu will be served. Book your specialty dinner that night!

http://thepreismans.com/equinox_ta_menus.htm#mdr

Have to agree with CB. In fact, when we spend a pre cruise night in Ft Lauderdale we know that our best seafood meal will be at Kelly's Landing in Ft Lauderdale :). Cruise ship seafood is all frozen (except for a few high end lines that purchase some seafood locally) and it is hard to maintain quality when cooking hundreds (or thousands) or meals at the same time. We have long wondered about the big deal made over the warm water lobster tails now served on most ships (we have a local diner in PA that has better lobster tail at $19.99 for 2 tails! Salmon does freeze well and we have found its often the best seafood on any ship. Most cruise line fish is now "farmed fish" which just does not have the same flavor as fish caught in the wild. And they tend to use species (like barimundi and tilapia) that have very little flavor...and when farmed has even less flavor!

Hank

Totally agree Hank.

Never did understand the all gaga over lobster on a ship. It is usually warm water lobster, sourced, frozen and shipped from Miami to your embarkation point, whether in the US, Europe or Asia. Definitely many months since harvest.

We purchase TRUE lobster (cold water tails) at our local market for $3.99-4.99 for a decent size. Frozen, yes, but only a few weeks since harvest.

My feelings about The Porch run similar. Not going to pay a sizable premium for frozen seafood when I can get the real thing for less at home.

Hank

First, LOVE Kelly's Landing! I agree with your post completely!

As for the Porch, beware. We had the seafood tower in January and everything on it tasted the same, as everything was marinated with the same marinade. Very disappointing. That being said their shrimp cocktail was very good. If I were to go back, I'd simply order three or four shrimp cocktails before I'd ever order the seafood tower again.

Think I should explain my Kellys Landing reference so as not to sound elitist or rude :). It is a very laid back bar/restaurant located near the popular 17th Street hotel area (think Embassy Suites) in Ft Lauderdale. It is a true "local joint" with an owner who still thinks he lives in New England. They fly in live lobster from New England (prices are reasonable) and also make a darn good clam and seafood chowder!

Hank

Hank

Totally agree Hank.

Never did understand the all gaga over lobster on a ship. It is usually warm water lobster, sourced, frozen and shipped from Miami to your embarkation point, whether in the US, Europe or Asia. Definitely many months since harvest.

We purchase TRUE lobster (cold water tails) at our local market for $3.99-4.99 for a decent size. Frozen, yes, but only a few weeks since harvest.

My feelings about The Porch run similar. Not going to pay a sizable premium for frozen seafood when I can get the real thing for less at home.

Amen. Well said. Do wish I could buy "true" lobster for that price. Never ever got the worshipping of lobster tails and escargot on cruise ships. (Yes , I know that escargot is not fish. It is the other item that seems to be hero worshipped by many passengers.) I prepare both much better at home. And I avoid buying farmed and/or previously frozen fish. That is what happens when you grew up on the Chesapeake Bay.

Edited by Straughn

Think I should explain my Kellys Landing reference so as not to sound elitist or rude :). It is a very laid back bar/restaurant located near the popular 17th Street hotel area (think Embassy Suites) in Ft Lauderdale. It is a true "local joint" with an owner who still thinks he lives in New England. They fly in live lobster from New England (prices are reasonable) and also make a darn good clam and seafood chowder!

Hank

I'm a Ft Lauderdale local and I do like Kellys landing. It's informal and delicious.

Hank

I'm a Ft Lauderdale local and I do like Kellys landing. It's informal and delicious.

Hank

That's what I visualized as we have similar places here on Long Island. The fish is so much better at these places because that's all they do and the best part is you don't have to get dressed up in a suit and tie to dine there.

I know it's heresy to some, but I would avoid ordering the lobster tails when served in the MDR and I find the cooked tableside lobster tail in Murano having a strange texture and little flavor other than the sauce (which is excellent). If you want lobster, get it at home, get it before you get on the ship. Many have been brought up thinking that lobster represents luxury....that's a myth...lobster costs about the same as veal these days or even good beef...it's not a luxury, it's just an option....but we have been trained to think it's special.

I know most will ignore me, but when everyone else is ordering the frozen warm water lobster tails....see if there's something else on the menu that you would really enjoy.