Noro Code Red on World Cruise

RJB

Very disturbing news. I can't imagine CDC is very happy with this cruise line at the moment.

Since they are not coming back to a U.S. port for about 4 months I think the CDC has little to nothing to say about this. Not their authority I think.

Since they are not coming back to a U.S. port for about 4 months I think the CDC has little to nothing to say about this. Not their authority I think.

Only if it lasts for 4 months, or if it ports in a US port like Hawaii, Los Angeles or Ft Lauderdale. Where did this cruise start and when?

Only if it lasts for 4 months, or if it ports in a US port like Hawaii, Los Angeles or Ft Lauderdale. Where did this cruise start and when?

Miami to Miami started the first week in Jan.

What the heck is going on with Oceania? Now the noro is on the world cruise. Where next? :confused::confused::confused:

So why imply that it is Oceania's fault? They left Miami over 45 days ago and no problem until this segment. Seems to me that the virus must have been brought on board by a passenger in Cape Town or picked up in one of the 3rd world ports along the east Africa coast.

So why imply that it is Oceania's fault? They left Miami over 45 days ago and no problem until this segment. Seems to me that the virus must have been brought on board by a passenger in Cape Town or picked up in one of the 3rd world ports along the east Africa coast.

I totally agree with you. How can one blame O?:rolleyes:

Exactly what I was thinking as well.

So true...that is the way Noro usually starts on a ship and then it is passed around just like the cruise cough or a cold.

Noro is not exclusive to Oceania nor is it happening on some of their ships because they are doing something wrong. All lines suffer from it from time to time and sometimes over several cruises. If you cruise often or have cruised over 30 years as we have you will encounter a cruise with Noro, unfortunately that is life.

Just because you are on a cruise with a Noro outbreak is no reason to expect compensation, but if the line offers it great. No cruise line will go under for this virus, if that were the case there might not be any cruise lines left. All this hype is a bit over the top. JMO of course.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJB View Post

What the heck is going on with Oceania? Now the noro is on the world cruise. Where next?

+5

Edited by Paulchili

Hey nice meeting you guys. After reading these posts I decided to go Princess instead and just booked it. I do NOT blame Oceania for the Noro outbreak, but I DO blame them for their response and how their reimbursed their loyal customers both last year and after this outbreak. No thanks. Yes I do expect more than a 25% refund for a 10 day cruise with this going on, rerouted, and cut two days short. Bye.

So true...that is the way Noro usually starts on a ship and then it is passed around just like the cruise cough or a cold.

Noro is not exclusive to Oceania nor is it happening on some of their ships because they are doing something wrong. All lines suffer from it from time to time and sometimes over several cruises. If you cruise often or have cruised over 30 years as we have you will encounter a cruise with Noro, unfortunately that is life.

Just because you are on a cruise with a Noro outbreak is no reason to expect compensation, but if the line offers it great. No cruise line will go under for this virus, if that were the case there might not be any cruise lines left. All this hype is a bit over the top. JMO of course.

Your are so right! You can get sick anywhere, just try going to an all inclusive resort. Sometimes while on vacation, you eat and drink more than normal, try new things and indulge a little and unfortunately can have gastro intestinal problems.

Hey nice meeting you guys. After reading these posts I decided to go Princess instead and just booked it. I do NOT blame Oceania for the Noro outbreak, but I DO blame them for their response and how their reimbursed their loyal customers both last year and after this outbreak. No thanks. Yes I do expect more than a 25% refund for a 10 day cruise with this going on, rerouted, and cut two days short. Bye.

And if the princess ship you are on gets it???

Why should any line compensate anyone if noro comes onboard. Unless they make every single passenger go through full bio hazard cleaning before boarding how do you stop a passenger who, well I felt a little iffy today, but I will carry on as normal, passing it on.

I was on a ship once and a lady was in the shop moaning because her cruise card had been stopped.

Why had it been stopped, cos she had been confined to her cabin with noro, but decided ,without seeing the doc that she was better. They obviously on this line block you card to encourage you to stay in your cabin.

Noro appears in hospitals/schools/hotels/cruise ships. Anywhere where you have a lot of people in one place, and not all of them clean their hands properly after using the bathroom.(main reason for spread)

Unless the line do not put things in place it is not their fault and they should not compensate for customer failings.

OMG...i'm on the RTW cruise and I assure you that the sky is not falling.

Please remember that our Souls on Board count is approximately 1000 so we're talking 20+ passengers/crew might be ill.

We are still going on excursions and lectures, we are still dining with great pleasure, and we are all doing everything they tell us to do to try and stay healthy for ourselves and others.

At every food station, at every coffee urn, at every snack place there is a nice crew person with gloves on and holding tongs. We passengers touch nothing.

Salt and pepper and everything else has been removed from the tables; the silverware is wrapped in a napkin and the glasses we need are brought to us with the beverages requested.

We have been kept informed by the Captain and he stated that he is following the protocols set up by the CDC. We are encouraged to call on the doctors and their visits are free.

All of the buses we take, including the shuttle buses, are being disinfected before we are allowed to enter.

Ship's staff accompanied us on our flight to Amboseli National Park and they all sprayed our hands as we boarded and left various means of transportation.

The crew is cleaning all handrails, elevator handrails, buttons, door handles, and everything they think we all might handle.

Good luck finding any place humans congregate that does not have the potential to share germs.

We're all having a great time today, and if some of us get sick, well....that's all part of travel. Let's not blame the ship or the cruise line.

If you want to get upset over something, our cabin attendant who was rejoicing 2 days ago over the birth of his first born, just told us the baby died.

Please remember that our Souls on Board count is approximately 1000 so we're talking 20+ passengers/crew might be ill.

We are still going on excursions and lectures, we are still dining with great pleasure, and we are all doing everything they tell us to do to try and stay healthy for ourselves and others.

At every food station, at every coffee urn, at every snack place there is a nice crew person with gloves on and holding tongs. We passengers touch nothing.

Salt and pepper and everything else has been removed from the tables; the silverware is wrapped in a napkin and the glasses we need are brought to us with the beverages requested.

We have been kept informed by the Captain and he stated that he is following the protocols set up by the CDC. We are encouraged to call on the doctors and their visits are free.

All of the buses we take, including the shuttle buses, are being disinfected before we are allowed to enter.

Ship's staff accompanied us on our flight to Amboseli National Park and they all sprayed our hands as we boarded and left various means of transportation.

The crew is cleaning all handrails, elevator handrails, buttons, door handles, and everything they think we all might handle.

Good luck finding any place humans congregate that does not have the potential to share germs.

We're all having a great time today, and if some of us get sick, well....that's all part of travel. Let's not blame the ship or the cruise line.

If you want to get upset over something, our cabin attendant who was rejoicing 2 days ago over the birth of his first born, just told us the baby died.

This needs to be repeated loud and clear . Positive attitude. Understanding of the virus.

Does the US have anti virus hand gel (so works against noro,which is a virus not a bacteria). We have one in our chemist line Boots. I always take a small one onboard with me. Everytime I leave the cabin its on my hands.

I only use the toilet in our cabin, not the public ones on the ship.

There are ways of helping oneself.

We too are on this cruise (71 days Miami to Singapore) and the sky isn't falling for us either. I can't add anything to this comprehensive post which details the measures being taken on board. We have spent most of our adult lives living and working in developing countries, just like most of the ones we have been visiting on this cruise. Sometimes, despite every precaution you may take, you still might catch something. Risks of travel...

Now that really is a tragedy, all the more so for the cabin attendant being so far from home. I remember you posting about the joy he felt on hearing of the baby's arrival. I expect, too, that you're also thinking about Don, and Betsy, every day. I know I am and we never even met.

Thanks, Cynthia, for posting a balanced view of life on board and keep up the good work.

Sella

We too are on this cruise (71 days Miami to Singapore) and the sky isn't falling for us either. I can't add anything to this comprehensive post which details the measures being taken on board. We have spent most of our adult lives living and working in developing countries, just like most of the ones we have been visiting on this cruise. Sometimes, despite every precaution you may take, you still might catch something. Risks of travel...

You on another cruise? :)

thanks Sella. It's incredibly tragic. The little one was born the day Don died.

we just finished lunch on the veranda at Terrace and everyone is in good spirits. All of the usual crew appears to be working.

Every table is being wiped down after cleaning up the dirty dishes and a sign is placed on that table saying 'the table is being disinfected'.

Yes, we're all still thinking of Betsy and when we hear something about her situation we pass it on to the others. I can just hear Don making some comment about all of these threads!

We love you Betsy and hope you will think about rejoining us sometime --we'll take care of you-- as much or as little as you wish to be cared for.