Port safety

cruisebunnies

The Falmouth port is totally fenced in....guarded!!!! The Island people cannot enter unless they work there.

The shuttle buses are on the INSIDE of the fence for your excursions. Albeit a little scary leaving the fence.....pushy pushy people...we never had a problem.

Edited by champagne123
ffff

It's not that it's "unsafe", but that many are annoyed at the vendors and locals and how pushy they are trying to get your business. That's all. Usually, a 'No, Thanks" will do the trick.

However, in Falmouth, there's really not much outside the port area, which was built for cruise ships. It's not like it was a city where ships happen to dock....

A lot of port reviews have a negative vibe re: being safe outside the port area(Falmouth for instance).

Has anyone actually had a serious problem other than pushy vendors!

:cool:

Jamaica is a very poor country, but we have never had a problem there, have been on many cruises there and also stayed at resorts there 8 or 9 times, I much preferred when they docked at Ocho rios before they built Falmouth.

A lot of port reviews have a negative vibe re: being safe outside the port area(Falmouth for instance).

Has anyone actually had a serious problem other than pushy vendors!

:cool:

I would not leave the port compound unless I was on an excursion.

DW and I were in Falmouth last Feb, I booked a tour in advance through a local who had great reviews but he was outside the fence. We weren't sure exactly where to find him but once outside the fence, I asked a vendor where to find Wentworth Pearson and he showed us the way. He was very polite and we felt safe. Wentworth took us to a couple of places I had researched and we had a great time, never felt unsafe with him.

I don't feel safe in Miami, NYC, Chicago, etc etc...

Seriously, what you need to do, is remember to follow some very basic safety procedures, like don't flash money, don't put a purse down, don't leave it open, don't wear flashy jewelry, walk with someone, don't be alone, don't go down dark alley, stay in main areas etc etc etc.

These are the exact same things you should do in any city.

Often times, what happens, is people are in the "vacation mode" and forget that they still must be observant, and follow normal rules. As you go dancing in Sr Frogs the Tequila line, remember not to leave your belongings on your table!

Having grown up in South Central L.A. and have been to many of our large US cities and have been to different countries around the world including the middle east while serving 20 years in the US Air Force, I can honestly say that I have not felt unsafe in any port on any cruise I have been on. The key is having some street smarts about yourself as an example......walking down non touristy side streets with or without other people...... I wouldn't do that! I know that there are some here that have never had to let their sense of street smarts kick in because of where they were brought up and lived most of their lives was considered safe but that is ok. If you don't know it is better safe than sorry! This is just MHO! :cool:

Having grown up in South Central L.A. and have been to many of our large US cities and have been to different countries around the world including the middle east while serving 20 years in the US Air Force, I can honestly say that I have not felt unsafe in any port on any cruise I have been on. The key is having some street smarts about yourself as an example......walking down non touristy side streets with or without other people...... I wouldn't do that! I know that there are some here that have never had to let their sense of street smarts kick in because of where they were brought up and lived most of their lives was considered safe but that is ok. If you don't know it is better safe than sorry! This is just MHO! :cool:

Well said, I worked in South Central L.A. for many years at Firestone station and agree with you.:)

some places look at lot scarier than others

people may not live in a wonderful house like you

may not look like you

use your common sense most places are safe but keep your wits about you

do not go around flashing your cash & expensive jewelry

Perhaps not cruise ship related but a port/ship story nonetheless:

Years ago, arrived by US government (non-military) ship at the port in Lima and was met by a USMC officer assigned to be our "guide" for our two day stopover. The bulletproof Toyota SUV was a nice touch. My thoughts of "overkill security," however, were quickly dispelled when we arrived at the US Embassy and saw a parked sedan with a shot out rear window.

Unfortunately I think some equate "poor", or "looks different than me" or "does not speak my language" or "acts different than me" with "unsafe".

We have been to most of the ports that get a bad rap (Falmouth, Nassau, Belize City etc.) and have never had a problem. We use common sense and get out and enjoy these places. We have had some amazing experiences that it would be such a shame to have missed just because the people in those places do not look/act like the folks back home.

You'll be fine if you follow common sense rules that would apply anywhere, as many people have already suggested. But, since you asked, yes we were definitely unsafe in a port, and it was on a ship sponsored excursion, but it was many years ago and wouldn't happen today. Port au Prince, Haiti, was not a tourist-friendly place in the early '80's.

Unfortunately I think some equate "poor", or "looks different than me" or "does not speak my language" or "acts different than me" with "unsafe".

We have been to most of the ports that get a bad rap (Falmouth, Nassau, Belize City etc.) and have never had a problem. We use common sense and get out and enjoy these places. We have had some amazing experiences that it would be such a shame to have missed just because the people in those places do not look/act like the folks back home.

Nassau has had an uptick of crime in recent years- it's not because they "don't speak my language" or "look different". Americans coming off cruise ships are a target and need to be very vigilant. That doesn't mean I don't get off the ship-- it just means to stay aware and be smart (as I would also expect to do at home)