Alaska - Is it worth it??

Beachammo

I haven't read the entire thread, so not sure if dates are flexible, but unless they are, there are always fantastic deals on Alaska cruises, so I'm not sure why anyone pays top dollar for one. Also, IMHO, a balcony isn't necessary to have a fantastic cruise.

I've been to Alaska 4X and my last one was on Princess. I got a Caribe balcony on Princess for 7 nights + 5 nights post cruise package for $1,350 pp sailing the last week in June. I didn't even book it until the end of March, so my advice is to shop around. Alaska is expensive - airfare and shore excursions can really mount up, it's great to save on the cruise to be able to spend extra on land.

We went in May last year on Celebrity, RT out of Seattle. Cost for both of us was about $3500 for a hump balcony room. That also included perks of Alcohol drink package, gratuities paid , and over $500 OBC. The weather was in the 70's every day and no rain.

I am confused, why is everyone saying that Alaska is so expensive? I just booked it this week and it was only $200 (total - across the family) above the Southern Caribbean cruise we also booked for next year for Spring Break.

Why?

Before I rebooked my B2B into JS 1100, we were in a D1 center aft. Two seven day Alaskan cruises next summer were the same price as our two European cruises on Navigator center hump. Those Navigators aren't 7 days but 12 days followed by 14 days.

So 26 days on Navigator in Europe vs 14 days on Radiance. Europe was an extra 12 days for more or less the same price. Now rebooking to JS1100, the B2B in Alaska is understandably much more. Alaska is pricey in late June and July. So is every other time I cruise(Spring Break, Xmas, New Years), so oh well as I am used to it.

But I do hope JS1100 is worth it...

Edited by wreckem2013

Ok....I got balcony cabin 9256 on hold for the Alaska one way on Radiance July 28th, 2017. I'm hesitant....there is something in me that won't allow myself to spend over 4k for a seven day cruise ($600 a night). I can spend 4 weeks in the Caribbean in a balcony cabin with MSC for about the same price! Or go around the Mediterranean for 14 days with Royal in the same 9256 cabin.

What makes Alaska soo expensive? There is enough competition that prices really shouldn't be that high.

Opinions?

We had a corner GS on Radiance when we went to Alaska in 2014, it was $6808.82 including tips, cruise care, fees etc. We went in the latter part of August. A corner aft JS would be perfect also. Our cruise was Vancouver to Seward 7 nights.

It was too cold to "hang out" on the balcony, but for us the corner aft was great because we could see everything so well even when in our cabin, and could go out on the balcony for picture taking.

I notice you are planning to spend a week in Alaska after your cruise, so I'll add the following.

After arriving in Seward we spent two weeks DIY traveling around Alaska via Alaska Rail. The DIY was our favorite part of our Alaska trip.

https://www.alaskarailroad.com/travel-planning/destinations

We just booked 9256 on Radiance for a 4th of July booking for 2017. My wife has very little leave so booking that week gives us an extra day because of the holiday. It's $4300 for cabin, tips, and trip insurance. When I looked at similar cruises on NCL and Princess it it was over $5000 and NCL was closer to $5900. We really wanted glacier bay but it was just so expensive.

Edited by slyster

We just booked 9256 on Radiance for a 4th of July booking for 2017. My wife has very little leave so booking that week gives us an extra day because of the holiday. It's $4300 for cabin, tips, and trip insurance. When I looked at similar cruises on NCL and Princess it it was over $5000 and NCL was closer to $5900. We really wanted glacier bay but it was just so expensive.

So you are the person who beat me to 9256. I figured it would be someone on Cruisecritic. Just thankful I was able to snag 1100 from whoever put a hold on it but didn't follow through with the booking.

Edited by wreckem2013

June 30th? Yea. I just got it this afternoon. When I called Thursday it wasn't available (called twice) and when I called today to see about the current promotion, I asked about 9256. I was surprised it was available all the sudden! Sorry! I haven't had this cabin before.

Second Alaskan cruise coming up in September. The sticker shock was bad so we are trying a virtual balcony cabin to save some dough. Try going later or earlier to save a little money. Yes, it is crazy expensive.

However, the scenery is indescribable, the air fresh, the water a different blue. The excursions are unique and I need to see the glaciers again before they are gone.

What ship going to Alaska has a virtual balcony cabin?

June 30th? Yea. I just got it this afternoon. When I called Thursday it wasn't available (called twice) and when I called today to see about the current promotion, I asked about 9256. I was surprised it was available all the sudden! Sorry! I haven't had this cabin before.

I see.

I called on June 25 and both 9256 and 1100 were held/booked. I checked back tonight and 1100 was open.

So you are the person who beat me to 9256. I figured it would be someone on Cruisecritic.

After much discussion, DW and I have decided to put off Alaska. Really can't do the beginning of June as we will just be returning from a TA to Rome with two weeks in southern Italy. Maybe next year......

I will be releasing cabin 9256 that we have on hold for the July 28th and August 11th northbound Radiance cruise in a few minutes.

Thanks CruiseCriticers for your opinions and advice.

We went to Alaska the last week of August and the first week of Sept on HAL a few years ago. Prices were much less at that time of the year and we had beautiful weather. A jacket was all you needed during the day except in Glacier Bay when we were outside on our balcony. At that time, I needed a winter coat, but I'm always cold. We only had rain on one day. It was the best time for viewing the bears since they were foraging before they went into hibernation. We also had several sightings of whales and orcas so it was a phenomenal trip. We are planning another Sept Alaskan cruise.

I see.

I called on June 25 and both 9256 and 1100 were held/booked. I checked back tonight and 1100 was open.

I think you mean feb 25? Yea I called Feb 24 at 5am and was told someone else had it booked. I told the agent that was fast! He said you would be surprised when folks want a particular cabin, they call right after midnight. I asked again that afternoon (called about something else) and again was told it was booked. Someone obviously just put it on hold and they released it. Hopefully you got 1100? I gave back 8168 if that helps at all too. It's right underneath.

I see.

People are tossing on the 24 hour holds left and right, and then they expire. Always pays to keep checking. My first time in 9256 on Radiance, I called on the day the bookings came out on the website to use my next cruise certificate. 9256 was already gone, and the agent on the phone told me the cabins had been offered for booking over the phone for three days! So I was actually 3 days late. She asked if I wanted to be put on a wait list for that cabin. I figured yeah, what the heck, like that is ever going to pop up again. But two weeks later....it did! ;)

Have it booked for both legs of our B2B in August. :D

Its a once in a lifetime trip for us. My wife and I have never been so we spared no expense since we haven't really taking anything but a long weekend since 1999.

I understand your concerns with prices, we thought it was high.. but my wife talked me into it :)

Bob...

Beginning of June was considerably cheaper ($2457). Thought it may be too cold to hang on balcony?? How was it when you went?

I don't work anymore so dates are not the problem...

We also had planned to spend at least a week in Alaska after the cruise doing land trips.

Weather in Alaska is unpredictable - you can have cold rain in July or sunny and 70s in May. The worst weather we've ever had in Ketchikan was late July last year, and the best was a sunny day in Skagway in May.

We've sailed in May, June, July and September. I prefer May because it's light later than it is in September, plus if you want to go to a dogsled camp they are closed by then. If you aren't constrained by school vacations (another reason the prices are so high mid-summer), then that's when I would go.

We also go on Princess because their prices are often better.

Before I rebooked my B2B into JS 1100, we were in a D1 center aft. Two seven day Alaskan cruises next summer were the same price as our two European cruises on Navigator center hump. Those Navigators aren't 7 days but 12 days followed by 14 days.

So 26 days on Navigator in Europe vs 14 days on Radiance. Europe was an extra 12 days for more or less the same price. Now rebooking to JS1100, the B2B in Alaska is understandably much more. Alaska is pricey in late June and July. So is every other time I cruise(Spring Break, Xmas, New Years), so oh well as I am used to it.

But I do hope JS1100 is worth it...

Don't forget to factor in the difference in airfare if you're paying cash - that might make the difference a little less dramatic. I love 1100, had it last summer and in 2004 on our first Alaska cruise, but for the same price I'd pick Europe.

Ok....I got balcony cabin 9256 on hold for the Alaska one way on Radiance July 28th, 2017. I'm hesitant....there is something in me that won't allow myself to spend over 4k for a seven day cruise ($600 a night). I can spend 4 weeks in the Caribbean in a balcony cabin with MSC for about the same price! Or go around the Mediterranean for 14 days with Royal in the same 9256 cabin.

What makes Alaska soo expensive? There is enough competition that prices really shouldn't be that high.

Opinions?

for me Alaska was worth every penny and then some...

we were in a balcony cabin...deck 9, port side, near the centrum....can't remember the number...

all in all, i can't wait to go again....i thought it was a bucket list trip, but i'd be thrilled to go every year (if only the budget allowed)..

...What makes Alaska soo expensive?...
Like any and every cruise, prices are driven by supply and demand. A quick check of a comparative price site gave me nine 2016 Alaska cruises in balconies that were under $1k (multiple lines, including RCI, not counting taxes and fees), some weeks at $800pp. True they were all in May, but I have cruised to Alaska twice in May and had wonderful weather both times (okay, I do think more than a bit of luck involved; it was 91 degrees:eek: at Icy Point Strait).

Thom

We had great weather when we went the last few days of May and early June in 2006. Sat on the balcony in short sleeves. Only time it was cold was on top deck cruising the glaciers.

We did a 4-day land tour prior to the cruise. No fog and we were able to see Denali three days in a row! Very lucky for us. It drizzled in Juneau, but was in the 50s. Rained steadily in Ketchikan, but not so much we couldn't enjoy our duck boat tour (and saw lots of bald eagles). It was not that chilly, either. We also saw lots of humpback and orcas whales in Juneau.

Now that I have a better camera, I want to go back!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk