Is Grand Princess Scheduled for Refurbishment?

twopats

We are looking to book a Grand Princess tour in September of 2017 but all the recent reviews say the ship is really in poor shape. Does anyone know if Princess plans to refurbish the ship in the next year? Trish

Edited by twopats

Based on this unofficial but usually accurate website, the Grand is scheduled for routine maintenance in SF between 12/8/16 to 12/19/16.

https://sites.google.com/site/princesscruisesfaq/ships/fleet-drydock-schedule

If you look at Grands schedule you will see that the dates above are indeed not scheduled for a cruise so it would appear to be factual.

We are looking to book a Grand Princess tour in September of 2017 but all the recent reviews say the ship is really in poor shape. Does anyone know if Princess plans to refurbish the ship in the next year? Trish

I wouldn't say ALL the reviews say the ship is in bad shape. I recently read some favorable ones. I just clicked on Grand Princess up there at the top of the Princess forum, and I found lots of threads just about the Grand. Lots.

We sailed on the Grand in December 2015 and were told the ship was scheduled for dry dock in December 2016. I am one that thinks she could really use it. We are sailing on her again this summer but wouldn't be my first choice (this is my SIL's request) until after her dry dock.

I wouldn't say it's in "poor shape." I was just on it in Nov/Dec, 2015 and while it definitely could use some sprucing up and get some new furniture, the overall look of the ship is still very nice. We had a very fun cruise (despite the fire in the engine room)! :eek:

We were also on the Grand in December, Thought she could use some sprucing up, but nothing that detoured from our fabulous experience. The worst part was the beds, and I don't know when those are scheduled to be updated. I'd say, any ship will need sprucing up with the volume of passengers they get. Even though we noticed some TLC was needed we still absolutely loved our cruise! Even with the uncomfy beds :)

Based on this unofficial but usually accurate website, the Grand is scheduled for routine maintenance in SF between 12/8/16 to 12/19/16.

And a routine dry dock is what can be accomplished in 12 days that also includes getting the ship to the shipyard and then back to an embarkation port.

Some refurbishing may be done to common areas (new carpet, reupholstered chairs, etc.), but nothing ,major can be done in that amount of time.

We were on the Valentines Day cruise to Mexico and just got back last Tue.

We had no issues with our cabin including the water and/or toilet and shower.

I did notice some carpeting coming a little loose here and there. Maybe some other minor things but nothing that remotely affected my cruise experience. I don't think it needs any major refitting.

To be honest, we had a great time onboard the Grand Princess. The cruise director, Kelvin Joy is one of the best and always makes you laugh. The service onboard was very good also and they were all so friendly.

We will sail her again.

Edited by Sacto Rick

The Grand is in good shape. Was on for Xmas saw nothing wrong. Will be on again in April.I don't understand what people expect or why they believe these chronic complainers.

Now, now, the name calling is not appropriate....if you have read any of my many reviews, you would know I am not a chronic complainer. In nearly 50 cruises, I full well know what to expect on a cruise ship. It is obvious we had a different experience and noticed different things than you did if you thought she was in good shape and nothing was wrong. I don't think I was complaining as much as pointing out what was obvious to me and even included many kudos to one of the most outstanding staff/crew on the Princess fleet. I gave credit where credit is due but pointed out what I felt was not up to par with the other ships on which I have sailed. The only other ship that I felt was poorly maintained was the Century shortly before she was sold from the Celebrity fleet. Both on that cruise and on the Grand, I had good cruises but would note that I feel as though the Grand could use a lot of TLC.

I would want fellow passengers to be honest with their assessments on a ship for which I was planning my cruise so I could make an fully informed decision on where I spend my vacation dollars.

The Grand is in good shape. Was on for Xmas saw nothing wrong. Will be on again in April.I don't understand what people expect or why they believe these chronic complainers.

I'm not a chronic complainer. As a matter of fact some people consider me too much of a Princess cheerleader, but everyone's experiences are different. Below is a post I made on another thread regarding my Grand Princess cruise in 12/2014. I posted pictures on that thread.

>>>>>

I hate to be a downer, but the Grand is not in great shape. I sailed on her when she was fairly new and again in December 2014. I sailed on the Royal Princess in October and there is no comparison. I do agree that the staff was great then and probably still is. I did have a fun cruise because of the people I was with. I always enjoy the Hawaii cruise. That said, my cabin was in terrible condition. I had a mini-suite on the Emerald deck. The couch was dirty, stained and the upholstery was torn. The cushions were misshapen. The carpet was pulled up around the edges in front of the balcony door. The door handle on the balcony door was broken. The cabinet door to my fridge was hanging from one hinge. I walked in the bathroom and tiles came up and stuck to the bottom of my foot. Tiles around the pool were falling off the walls. This doesn't even begin to address the leaky pipe issues which didn't bother me, but have bothered others a lot. I generally am not a complainer, but if this had been my first Princess cruise I would never have gone back. I love Princess and am more than loyal, but I probably will never sail on the Grand again. I'm sure you can have a good time, but don't expect this ship to be in pristine condition.

<<<<<

What I didn't write in that post was that my friends had an Emerald mini-suite down the hall from me. Their experience was worse than mine. The tile grout in their bathroom had black mold on a good portion of the shower area. Mine only had a little. Their couch was in terrible condition, too. The would only sit on the couch is they put towels down because it was so dirty. Their bed was in very bad shape. They called the hotel manager and they came in to do a deep clean in the bathroom. They insisted on having their mattress replaced.

You can see the pictures I posted in my post on the other thread. Here's the link.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=49219454#post49219454

• 3 months later...
And a routine dry dock is what can be accomplished in 12 days that also includes getting the ship to the shipyard and then back to an embarkation port.

Some refurbishing may be done to common areas (new carpet, reupholstered chairs, etc.), but nothing ,major can be done in that amount of time.

SF is the shipyard port as well as Grands homeport so that won't be an issue.....a lot can be done in 12 days working 24/7 with hundreds if not thousands of shipyard workers, much more than I had imagined till I sailed a post dry dock cruise...

Now, now, the name calling is not appropriate....if you have read any of my many reviews, you would know I am not a chronic complainer. In nearly 50 cruises, I full well know what to expect on a cruise ship. It is obvious we had a different experience and noticed different things than you did if you thought she was in good shape and nothing was wrong. I don't think I was complaining as much as pointing out what was obvious to me and even included many kudos to one of the most outstanding staff/crew on the Princess fleet. I gave credit where credit is due but pointed out what I felt was not up to par with the other ships on which I have sailed. The only other ship that I felt was poorly maintained was the Century shortly before she was sold from the Celebrity fleet. Both on that cruise and on the Grand, I had good cruises but would note that I feel as though the Grand could use a lot of TLC.

I would want fellow passengers to be honest with their assessments on a ship for which I was planning my cruise so I could make an fully informed decision on where I spend my vacation dollars.

I actually am a fan of the Grand... have been on her 3 times in past 5 years... going again this december... I do feel the complaints about the Grand are much ado about nothing... like you we have well over 50 cruises on 9 different lines... we usually cruise on new ships, actually went on the Grand when she was brand new... l998 did a 12 on the Grand from Istanbul to Barcelona. Based on my experience I would not discourage anyone from booking the Grand... I do suspect the only area where there may be problems is in the back "aft" area... we always book a mini suite forward... that is our preferred area on any ship.

Service and maintenance on the Grand is on par with most cruises we have taken... and I did say we usually book new ships... our next cruise after the Grand will be on the Royal...

San Francisco is our home port... I am happy to have the Grand here.

Just sailed 10 day Alaska cruise. Ship was in pretty good shape. Normal maint going on. A lot of work on port side aft of Lido with paint and varnish fumes. No complaints on our or my Moms room. The damn aft bank, port center elevator still has the slowest moving door I've ever seen. In 10 days only saw one elevator out of commission for a few hours.

My only complaint, our smoke detector kept giving the bridge false signals and we'd get called. Twice they said it was fixed, but it wasn't. My Cpap machine humidifier wouldn't work and my med tech guy said it was due to faulty power from ship.

The second officer on board Grand last month verified that she is going into dry dock in December.

The second officer on board Grand last month verified that she is going into dry dock in December.

Interesting to hear as I'm on the Christmas cruise sailing on Dec 20. Is this this general maintenance or any scheduled upgrades?

I actually am a fan of the Grand... have been on her 3 times in past 5 years... going again this december... I do feel the complaints about the Grand are much ado about nothing... like you we have well over 50 cruises on 9 different lines... we usually cruise on new ships, actually went on the Grand when she was brand new... l998 did a 12 on the Grand from Istanbul to Barcelona. Based on my experience I would not discourage anyone from booking the Grand... I do suspect the only area where there may be problems is in the back "aft" area... we always book a mini suite forward... that is our preferred area on any ship.

Service and maintenance on the Grand is on par with most cruises we have taken... and I did say we usually book new ships... our next cruise after the Grand will be on the Royal...

San Francisco is our home port... I am happy to have the Grand here.

I am actually happy to have a ship home ported in San Francisco as well but just wish it were a different one. My DH hates to fly, even down to Los Angeles or Seattle and there is that extra expense as well. When the Sip and Sail promo came out, I wanted to book one but the Grand is still in SF through the cruises that are released for 2018. I wish we could at least get the Ruby or Crown in her place. I just cannot see spending the money on a ship I don't really like. For the first time in my adult life, I told my DH I think I would rather just stay home. :eek:

I am actually happy to have a ship home ported in San Francisco as well but just wish it were a different one. My DH hates to fly, even down to Los Angeles or Seattle and there is that extra expense as well. When the Sip and Sail promo came out, I wanted to book one but the Grand is still in SF through the cruises that are released for 2018. I wish we could at least get the Ruby or Crown in her place. I just cannot see spending the money on a ship I don't really like. For the first time in my adult life, I told my DH I think I would rather just stay home. :eek:

We still fly... but flying is my least favorite way of travel... it is so awful I have opted for paying for premium seats. For 30 years we have flown to ships and taken land vacations. We just return from the middle east in March, had a great trip but nothing beats taking a taxi to a ship in SF and doing a round trip with no air, no hotels... so we will book at least one cruise a year on what ever ship Princess has here. If the switch out the Grand for the Ruby I would love but I will take Grand any day it is here.

Interesting to hear as I'm on the Christmas cruise sailing on Dec 20. Is this this general maintenance or any scheduled upgrades?

Based on this unofficial (but generally accurate) website, it'll be 9 days of "routine" maintenance in San Francisco this December.

With the reports of leaking overheads (ceilings) they'll hopefully fix these problems.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Just back from 10 days on the Grand Princess. We had no issues whatsoever. Cabin & bathroom were clean and everything functioned as it should. Public rooms were very nice (but cold). Food in dining room was good and service everywhere was excellent. I'd sail her again in a heartbeat!