Anthem of the seas is headed back to Cape Liberty now due to a storm

lazeyey

According to someone on the ship it's about 60-70 people I wouldn't call that crawling with Norovirus. It's the time of year also, so many people coming down with the stomach bug. I work in the dental field and many patients have been cancelling due to being sick. But seeing as I am on the ship right after I wont mind it getting s good scrub down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps the docs have figured if they know of 60-70 cases it's likely twice that or more. It's hard to believe that they are all reported and quarantined. ;)

It maybe both. I am boarding on the 4th for the 3 day, So it will be reassuring if it gets a deep cleaning for two days.

CDC must be notified when 2% of passengers have noro.

At 3% of passengers CDC declares an outbreak.

I can't find OPP Level 3 guidelines, only OPP Level 2

They've really had some bad luck with the Anthem. From the poor initial reviews, to the storm situation, and now the Noro thing.

Hopefully they get this all straightened out before October...

Edited by AndyT3

I was supposed to be on this sailing, but cancelled it when I decided to do the TA back in October. Then ended up doing this itinerary in January. SO glad I made that change! I'd have been so bummed to miss Barbados.

That said, I think they made the right choice, especially given the fallout from the "storm cruise" earlier this month.

Hopefully they have a smooth sailing home.

We were on the January 25th sailing, we also lost a day and had a complete itinerary change from Western to Eastern due to storm Jonas. They only gave us a $200 OBC (which didn't cover our days loss) and offered no discount on a future cruise. Why is it that 2 sailings after us got a full refund + 50 % and the other is getting 1 day refund plus 50% off their next cruise. RCL needs to keep their compensation policy the same for all cruises. To anyone on our cruise, I would encourage everyone to contact RCL to see if they are going to issue us a 50% refund also, I feel we are also entitled to the same compensation as the others.

If you look at the wind forecast on this site' date=' there is supposed to be 150mph winds off the coast with the next 48 hours.[/quote']

I'm assuming you clicked on the 48 hour map. Did you even read the info below it? Those are not surface winds. They are the winds at 40,000 feet. The storm they're beating by heading back now is forecast to form later in the week -Wed-Fri timeframe.

Edited by BND

I think RCCL should be reconsidering Bayonne for Anthem in Winter cruising. Better to do the Caribbean from Florida in Winter and go back North for Spring - Fall. Florida doesn't have a quantum class ship at all.

I think RCCL should be reconsidering Bayonne for Anthem in Winter cruising. Better to do the Caribbean from Florida in Winter and go back North for Spring - Fall. Florida doesn't have a quantum class ship at all.

You do realize this is far from the first year that RCI has had a ship cruising out of NJ (and the NE), right? We've cruised out of the NE in Nov, Mar and Apr and we've had 30 foot waves, etc. I think they are reacting to the overracting that as done with the really huge storm from a couple of weeks ago. Damned if they do and damned if they don't.

FL has Oasis, Allure, Freedom, etc. Quantum class was built with more indoor areas to be used in colder climates. Did you know that?

You could say the same thing about cruises out of FL during an active hurricane season.

Edited by BND

Send us an Oasis class for the winter, and I'll go along with your idea.

100% agreed!! Send a radiance class up there or something... Maybe even granduer. Sounds good to me!

We were on the January 25th sailing, we also lost a day and had a complete itinerary change from Western to Eastern due to storm Jonas. They only gave us a $200 OBC (which didn't cover our days loss) and offered no discount on a future cruise. Why is it that 2 sailings after us got a full refund + 50 % and the other is getting 1 day refund plus 50% off their next cruise. RCL needs to keep their compensation policy the same for all cruises. To anyone on our cruise, I would encourage everyone to contact RCL to see if they are going to issue us a 50% refund also, I feel we are also entitled to the same compensation as the others.

Actually according to what those currently onboard have posted they are to receive a refund for both days being lost on their shorten cruise along with that 50% credit of what they paid for use on a future cruise.

I agree those on the Jan. 25 delayed to 26th sailing with a eastern instead of the western itinerary they had booked and were expecting should be better compensated when one considered what those on these two cruises are recieving.

Edited by robtulipe

CDC must be notified when 2% of passengers have noro.

At 3% of passengers CDC declares an outbreak.

I can't find OPP Level 3 guidelines, only OPP Level 2

Actually, every cruise ship, every voyage, must make a report to the CDC between 36-24 hours prior to arrival at a US port, whether or not there has been a single case of GI illness. So, every GI case is reported to the CDC, every cruise.

A special report is made when the cumulative number reaches 2% (meaning that 2% may not be ill at the same time during the cruise), and a further report when it reaches 3%. After the initial special report is made, they must make daily update reports. Also, the 2% and 3% numbers include the crew, so it is a percentage of total souls onboard.

USPH/CDC do not declare an outbreak at 3%, that is the level where they will post an update report on their website. It is also the trigger level where they may send an inspection team, but generally this is not done at 3% unless there have been more than one cruise in a row at the 3% level.

The USPH will recommend different protocols to the ship (which probably has them in their procedures, and are underway) at the different reporting levels.

So, for a ship like Anthem, with a total souls count between 5600 to 6500, 112-130 people need to be ill to reach the 2% special reporting level.

i am not seeing any storm on any marine forecasts or on radar near cape Hatteras, not sure what they are seeing out there

Hard to say what they see out there. But it kind of reinforces the notion of sailing from a lower latitude port during the winter e.g. Canaveral, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, San Juan, etc.

Hard to say what they see out there. But it kind of reinforces the notion of sailing from a lower latitude port during the winter e.g. Canaveral, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, San Juan, etc.

We cruised on the Quantum out of Cape Liberty this time last year. It was 22 below with wind chill when we left and we had a great cruise with moderate seas, warm by the next morning. This year the jet stream is south of normal, so more storms tracking through the mid Atlantic. Should RCL change what has worked well generally just because of this year? I don't know!

What I do know is every time I have flown south during the past two winters I have had travel interruptions, which make me not want to fly in the winter.

Hey everyone. Sorry for the awful spelling mistakes and not making sense.

I forgot to also mention that this ship is FREEZING everywhere. I just asked a nurse about this and she confirmed that it is colder on the ship because that can help control the norovirus outbreak.

Worst Royal Cruise yet. I only had my stateroom cleaned 3 times in 7 days. Nice.

I am on the Anthem right now and would prefer it if they sailed somewhere safe and gave us a few extra days at sea. It is very inconvenient for me for the cruise to be cut short. I'm having work done at my house and can't go home until 3/4/16. I'm not complaining though. This has been an AMAZING cruise. I hope they offer a discount on the next one.

I know how you feel :( We are going to stay in New York City for the 2 nights but we couldn't even book that because the wifi was down for hours after the announcement was made. Too many people using it, which sucks for me since I paid for it lol

Are they allowing you to stay onboard until the original debark time? I imagine that should be offered at least to accommodate travel plans already made.

No, we arrive in New Jersey at 6 am on March 2nd and they are refunding us those days. I think the norovirus is the reason we can't stay on board until the 4th.

What is an "OPP level three"?

I could have heard wrong, but in the afternoon they made an announcement. So when we were in the Seaplex and noticed the bumper cars not working, we asked a staff member who told us that OPP level three is the worst outbreak condition there is. The bumper cars and anything that needs to be touched is closed down or heavily restricted. It's too bad since I was looking forward to those bumper cars.

Just a heads up in case you missed it - Royal is reimbursing flight changes from our cruise up to $150US pp for domestic flights, and $250pp for international. If you faced any flight changes due to our itinerary change, you can submit the receipts to RCI for refund - that's regardless of whether you booked air with them or not.

Wow. That's garbage on RCI's part. We only got reimbursed for the second change in itinerary. They also had told us on-board that they would cover the cost of changes, not "...up to $150 domestic/$250 international". (My flight changes were $200 each). Then when we got home changed it to that same policy you quoted. Their only consistency seems to be inconsistency.

BTW: For anyone that is taking United and having to change flights, send the customer service department an e-mail detailing that you had to change flights due to the cruise returning early and they may at their discretion refund you part of the change fee. Ours was obviously a different situation, but it may work for some of you on-board now as well.

Hey everyone. Sorry for the awful spelling mistakes and not making sense.

I forgot to also mention that this ship is FREEZING everywhere. I just asked a nurse about this and she confirmed that it is colder on the ship because that can help control the norovirus outbreak.

Worst Royal Cruise yet. I only had my stateroom cleaned 3 times in 7 days. Nice.

You need to make a fuss, that is not acceptable.

Edited by pspercy