Two disappointments with an otherwise wonderful cruise

slanik

We just got off the Summit a week ago. We were on the Feb 13 - 20 cruise. There were two aspects that were disappointing. The first was wine service in the MDR. The sommelier in the MDR and the unavailability of several wines was very disappointing. The sommelier was spread way too thin. We hardly saw her. Several times we had to have our waiter go and find her. We also had trouble finding wine on the menu that was available. Many of the selections were "sold out". This happened on day one of the cruise. I wonder if this is a way to save on the beverage packages? Or perhaps it was because of the dry dock coming up in a few weeks. It wasn't just premium wines, they were even out of the white zin. We had upgraded to the premium bev package, but with so few nice wines to choose from, it was frustrating.

The other disappointment was the shore excursions we booked through Celebrity. We went on a beach day in St Kitts. The beach was mediocre at best and there were all these local vendors trying to get us to get massages. They wouldn't leave us alone. Plus, the package included a chair, but no umbrella. Really? We had to pay an extra $10 for an umbrella. We also took an excursion in San Juan. The bus driver hardly spoke English. The excursions we booked ourself were much better. I'm never booking another excursion through Celebrity.

Other than those few things. The cruise was great. Entertainment was great, food was great and service was great.

The excursion issues don't really surprise me, and simply serve to confirm our decision to DIY or arrange private tours instead of booking ship excursions. The wine shortage, however, is a real puzzler. Did your sommelier offer any explanation? It seems to me that an apology and an explanation is the very least she could have offered.

We don't often eat in the MDR but when we do we often find it difficult to get the attention/service of a sommelier. My suspicion is that with the increase in beverage package sales, they serve far more wine by the glass than they do bottles that are obviously an additional charge. As a result, they've probably reduced the wine staff significantly.

All cruise lines have decreased bar service (or wine services..whatever)...

Bring the drink of your choice to dinner with you...and as soon as you see some sort of server, grab them and get another....at least you'll have something to sip on while you wait!

Agree that inconsistency with wine availability was frustrating! The Gruner Veltliner was unavailable midway through each leg of our b2b Summit cruise. Sancerre was not available on Equinox in January. We were fortunate to have sommeliers to work with us, but I agree that they are often overwhelmed.

Bring the drink of your choice to dinner with you...and as soon as you see some sort of server, grab them and get another....at least you'll have something to sip on while you wait!

While this is the workaround, it's sad that it has come to that. Higher drink prices, higher gratuities, and nobody around despite that.

Exactly what we do.

Personally, I find that the "sommeilers" are just wine servers. Most know nothing more about wine pairings than "red wine with red meat, white with fish". You see these same "sommeilers" in the Oceanview breakfast trying to sell the fresh juice or bottled water.

As for being hard to get service at dinner - Yes, that is a problem.

On a recent Celebrity cruise, I was having a very difficult time getting the attention of the wine server. Finally, I got his attention with a slightly raised index finger and a waving motion. He came over and whispered to me that was very insulting to him. I whispered back that he should not talk to a guest like that and that he should be more attentive. He just walked away. I was glad he did because I would not feel comfortable drinking wine served by him after that.

We had the same lack of wine availability on the Constellation at the end of last year. There were some good French wines on the list at 'reasonable' prices. Unavailable! The excuse was 'they didn't get loaded on board due to the holiday period' The sommelier said that he had 'some good alternatives' - each was worse than the other. By this time I had decided to give up trying to find a wine I liked at a reasonable price (the sommelier lamented that 'he had other wines at $25 a glass') that I decided to stick with martinis for the five day cruise.

The real killer was that they were offering as a 'recommended' wine by the glass on the MDR menu that evening, a Kendall Jackson red. When I asked for it I was told that it was 'unavailable'. At that point I threw up my hands and went back to the martinis!

Edited by godfreyb

Personally, I find that the "sommeilers" are just wine servers. Most know nothing more about wine pairings than "red wine with red meat, white with fish".

While that is generally true, the regular waiters are often so busy with food service that when you ask for the wine list they often indicate want to turn turn the whole process over to the "sommelier" so that's who you end up dealing with... if you can get their attention.

Personally, I find that the "sommeilers" are just wine servers. Most know nothing more about wine pairings than "red wine with red meat, white with fish". You see these same "sommeilers" in the Oceanview breakfast trying to sell the fresh juice or bottled water.

On a recent Celebrity cruise, I was having a very difficult time getting the attention of the wine server. Finally, I got his attention with a slightly raised index finger and a waving motion. He came over and whispered to me that was very insulting to him. I whispered back that he should not talk to a guest like that and that he should be more attentive. He just walked away. I was glad he did because I would not feel comfortable drinking wine served by him after that.

I'm quite surprised he was offended by a subtle finger raise and no, he should never speak to a guest like that IMHO even if it was the 'wrong finger'....LOL. How else to get his attention....maybe a loud 'hey you sommelier'? Even before the offered 'free' drink packages, the sommeliers were spread thin through the MDR. Solved the problem by ordering a red and a white bottle first night. I don't drink a bottle each meal so they held my bottles in their 'wine cellar (maybe)' by room number. Red on the table and white in an ice bucket when we arrived for dinner so less work for the S and better service for me. Obviously I'm not a wine connoisseur and happy with my favourite red or white with whatever it is I order. Hope this tip helps for future cruises.

BTW....we love the Villages...but don't see many sommeliers at Cane's or even Palmers.

Edited by oceangoer2

We were on The Eclipse last year & agree that the wine servers are hard to find when in the MDR. We noticed that the wine server in our area spent most of her time dealing with diners who were not on a package & ordered wine from the wine list. It got our table & others very annoyed.

Just off the Eclipse Feb 7th sailing. We had absolutely NO problem with the Sommelier provided wine service. We ate in MDR most nights, and he could not have been more attentive...to everyone in the area.

I saw no indication that they are trying to slow service at all. It was exceptional all the way!

We had the same lack of wine availability on the Constellation at the end of last year. There were some good French wines on the list at 'reasonable' prices. Unavailable! The excuse was 'they didn't get loaded on board due to the holiday period' The sommelier said that he had 'some good alternatives' - each was worse than the other. By this time I had decided to give up trying to find a wine I liked at a reasonable price (the sommelier lamented that 'he had other wines at $25 a glass') that I decided to stick with martinis for the five day cruise.

The real killer was that they were offering as a 'recommended' wine by the glass on the MDR menu that evening, a Kendall Jackson red. When I asked for it I was told that it was 'unavailable'. At that point I threw up my hands and went back to the martinis!

I have called Celebrity each time after my last 3 cruises with them about not having any wine onboard that was on the menu. I said you brag about how great your wine list is but you should actually have to the wine for it to mean anything. My sommelier said look at the wine tower in the MDR it's more than half empty and I apologize. The rep said she spoke with the Equinox and they would have my wine (Medoc) onboard. I just laughed and said I'm bringing my own even though I have the premium package. Then I said Oh is this what you mean by modern luxury? She had to laugh at that and apologized and told me to call when I return from my cruise. I said don't worry about that!:cool:

Edited by riredsox

Just got off the Feb 20 Reflection cruise, and there was a wine tasting for Select/Elite of some new wines that would be on the wine list. The sommelier said that a new wine list was being rolled out next month and that is why some wines were not currently available as they were going to be discontinued.

The other disappointment was the shore excursions we booked through Celebrity. We went on a beach day in St Kitts. The beach was mediocre at best and there were all these local vendors trying to get us to get massages. They wouldn't leave us alone. Plus, the package included a chair, but no umbrella. Really? We had to pay an extra $10 for an umbrella. We also took an excursion in San Juan. The bus driver hardly spoke English. The excursions we booked ourself were much better. I'm never booking another excursion through Celebrity.

Other than those few things. The cruise was great. Entertainment was great, food was great and service was great.

I don't think the vendors pushing massages, trinkets, etc are going to stop any time soon no matter what the ship or island. They start hounding you as soon as you get off the ship sometimes. I don't like it either.

We don't do ship excursions. We research and book with top rated Trip Advisor tour operators. Ship excursions are mediocre and overpriced at best. Your decision to not book one again is a sound one.

Glad the rest of your trip was great.

That would have been an enormous mistake if that had happened to me. I can assure you that if somebody on board thought it was insulting that I attempted to get their attention, I would get the attention of their superior officer immediately and follow up with strongly worded correspondence to corporate. The hospitality industry is just that. Hospitality. Without attitude thank you very much.

Guests are expected to be gracious. That is tempered however with the expectation of being treated as a guest. Otherwise, why are we there in the first place?

Good info. about the beach day on St. Kitts, thanks. Do you remember what beach it was? Was it Carambola/Frigate Bay? I want to avoid it at all costs.

Reading the wine "problems", sure makes me glad I don't like it! I never have a problem with Diet Coke. :D

Carambola is on St. Croix.

Amazing how cruises are different or people are so different. We just got off the Constellation. I read all the horror stories on CC about lack of bartenders everywhere, poor service in MDR,people couldn't get a drinks in the MDR. On and on. We had incredible service in the MDR and great service from all bartenders throughout the ship including the MDR. I had a drink within 5 minutes of sitting down at the MDR table..delivered with a smile.

The sommelier was at our table right away as well. I'm not a wine drinker but seen others at our table with wine and they seem to be available all the time.

I guess I'm puzzled by all the negative comments and yes maybe this is happening but it didn't happen to us and I didn't hear anyone complaining about it either. Maybe just a different ship and crew. In fact I went and found the supervisor of the bartenders of the Martini Bar. I told him you have to be the luckiest supervisors to have these quality bartenders. One of the flair bartenders was over the top one of the best bartenders I have ever had make me a drink. I said please know he needs praise for doing such a incredible job along with the rest of the staff...just my way of thanking those who do a good job...

Over Christmas with the cheap O drink package, and the service was great. While we are low maintenance diners, on the first night, he told us what wines we could order and what his suggestions were. After that, he would stop by and ask what wine we wanted and leave the requested bottle on the table. Other nights I would catch him if I saw him and just tell him which wine, and he would deliver it quickly to the table and just leave the bottle there. Some time or even most of the time he would come by and ask if we needed another bottle.

Maybe some ships are different or some like the ambience to the Sommelier personal services. I have heard of wine service complaints on RC but until now not on X.