Oasis - not my favorite, here are some tips!!!

kabux

Just off the Oasis and I have to say, not my favorite. Last cruise was Carnival Breeze, which was my favorite, so that was a tough act to follow. Oasis biggest failure, I think, is that there are simply too many people onboard but the ship public spaces do not reflect the huge increase in passenger numbers.

Shows - all show areas were much too small for the number of people onboard. Now, I DID read suggestions that we should make reservations for the shows but I wanted to relax and not commit to a certain show each night and play it by ear.

TIP #1: Really, reserve all the shows ahead of time, no matter what.

The comedy location holds 120 people. Only. We did wait on standby and were incredibly lucky to get in twice as most people did not get in on standby. Now, twice was too much apparently because the two comics (who were great!) repeated their show from 3 nights before, which I found surprising.

The main theater area was only two floors and seemed smaller to me than other ships I have been on. So surprising, given the ship holds so many more people, that the main theater would be smaller. Yes, you need reservations for shows there as well!

TIP #2: Take advantage of the other options besides the Windjammer for meals.

There are so many other options, not even including the extra cost ones. The windjammer area also seemed to be the same size as other ships I've been on that accommodated half the number of people as Oasis. Thus, Oasis windjammer is always crowded and difficult to find a seat. Nice, though, that the food is not in one big line but in 4-5 round sections so you can just take what you want and not have to wait behind everyone for just one thing. They also frequently announced requests to move along so others could have a seat, so felt a bit rushed.

Solarium Bistro was great for breakfast - not a giant selection but the basics and quite good, nice and quiet and always got a seat! We also tried Park Cafe for breakfast and again, fewer options but great to sit in the peace of Central Park and eat without a crowd.

TIP #3: Soda package was great but...

there are only 2 areas with the soda machines: two machines on each side entrance of the Windjammer (which wasn't open all the time) and 2 next to Sorrento's on the Promenade. This means that if you want to drink something other than what you can get from a bartender, you have to make a trek to a machine. I prefer Sprite Zero, which was hit or miss at the bars, so I often mapped out my route to the next location past the Promenade to fill my cup. Worked out fine but would've been nice if there were more locations around the ship to refill.

TIP #4: Go ahead and get to port early

We arrived at the port about 10:30am and went right through the check in line to the seating area. Seating was VERY well organized and they made sure that the ones who were there first, got onto the ship first. Seating was comfortable and we were boarding about 12:00. Went directly to Windjammer and were lucky to get a seat (see above).

TIP# 5: Solarium area was great

Solarium was a bit bigger than other ships but filled up really fast. Loved the comfy chairs in the top level by the bar after getting my fill of sun.

TIP #6: Get to trivia at least 30 minutes early

Trivia was fun but, again, the schooner bar only had about 75 seats, many more people than that wanted to play trivia.

Overall, RCCL could offer about 4 times as many entertainment options spread around the ship to thin out the crowds looking to get into the smaller venues. For example, on our last night at 9:00pm one had 3 options: Comedy show, Aquatheater show (also need reservation) or TV/Movie trivia game which was held in the On-Air lounge with about 75 seats. No other scheduled options. If there were 3-4 more options, maybe the On-Air lounge wouldn't have been busting at the seams and turning people away due to lack of seats.

In summary, we had a great cruise (how can you not??!!!) but not our top choice.

Hope this helps someone out there!!!

Kristin

Good advice and feedback. Your findings match up well with other Oasis reviews. Reservations and best seats go fast, but there is a reason for that. The production entertainment and public spaces on Oasis class are a level above other offerings.

The Opal theater has 1380 seats. Only slightly larger than Breeze and Freedom class capacity. I agree it should be larger. We've enjoyed every show on the Oasis Class ships.

The shows on Carnival Breeze are not a big draw (IMHO), therefore you can walk in and easily find a seat. Sorry, but we left early from most Breeze shows.

Actually, the Oasis of the Seas Opal theater can seat 2,160 guests. 1,380 on the main level, 434 in the upper orchestra and 347 in the balcony.

Here are the fleets theater seating capacities (retrieved mostly from Royal Caribbean's Fact Sheets)

Quantum Class

Quantum & Anthem of the Seas - The Royal Theater - 1,299 seats

Oasis Class

Oasis of the Seas - Opal Theater - 2,160 seats

Allure of the Seas - Amber Theater - 2,160 seats

Harmony of the Seas - The Royal Theater - 2,160 seats

Freedom Class

Freedom of the Seas - Arcadia Theater - 1,348 seats

Liberty of the Seas - Platinum Theater - 1,348 seats

Independence of the Seas - Alhambra Theatre - 1,348 seats

Voyager Class

Navigator of the Seas - Metropolis Theater - 1,362 seats

Adventure of the Seas - Lyric Theater - 1,362 seats

Voyager of the Seas - The Theater - 1,347 seats

Explorer of the Seas - Palace Theater - 1,362 seats

Mariner of the Seas - Savoy Theater - 1,362 seats

Radiance Class

Serenade of the Seas - Tropical Theater - 915 seats

Brilliance of the Seas - Pacifica Theater - 900 seats

Radiance of the Seas - Aurora Theater - 868 seats

Jewel of the Seas - Coral Theater - 915 seats

Vision Class

Vision of the Seas - Masquerade Theater - 853 seats

Grandeur of the Seas - Palladium Theater - 870 seats

Rhapsody of the Seas - Broadway Melodies Theater - 870 seats

Splendour of the Seas - 42nd Street Theater - 802 seats

Enchantment of the Seas - Orpheum Theater - 870 seats

Legend of the Seas - That's Entertainment Theater - 800 seats

Sovereign Class

Majesty of the Seas - A Chrous Line Theater - 1,027 seats

Empress Class

Empress of the Seas - Royal Theatre - 740 seats

Dennis & Sue

Thanks for the list of theater capacities.

From that list, it's easy to see why theaters on Freedom class may seem to fill up faster than Voyager class. Same size theater, on a ship with 500 more guests. I feel the same way about Enchantment's theater.

Just off the Oasis and I have to say, not my favorite. Last cruise was Carnival Breeze, which was my favorite, so that was a tough act to follow. Oasis biggest failure, I think, is that there are simply too many people onboard but the ship public spaces do not reflect the huge increase in passenger numbers.

Shows - all show areas were much too small for the number of people onboard. Now, I DID read suggestions that we should make reservations for the shows but I wanted to relax and not commit to a certain show each night and play it by ear.

The comedy location holds 120 people. Only. We did wait on standby and were incredibly lucky to get in twice as most people did not get in on standby. Now, twice was too much apparently because the two comics (who were great!) repeated their show from 3 nights before, which I found surprising.

The main theater area was only two floors and seemed smaller to me than other ships I have been on. So surprising, given the ship holds so many more people, that the main theater would be smaller. Yes, you need reservations for shows there as well!

TIP #6: Get to trivia at least 30 minutes early

Trivia was fun but, again, the schooner bar only had about 75 seats, many more people than that wanted to play trivia.

See, now I had the exact opposite experience. I found the Breeze had WAY too many people for it's public spaces. Particularly outside of the theatre (which generally had room, but then the shows are not nearly as good).

Really, there is only one regular lounge for doing things outside of comedies and shows, the Ocean Plaza. They have the nightclub, and the RedFrog pub, and the piano bar, but those are more specialty areas. The Atrium has a few dancing activities and a bar. But everything else happens in Ocean Plaza, which is just not big enough. Trivia was always jammed, with people sitting on the floors sometimes. Activities run into each other, so you get there and hope someone gets up if you want to do the following activity. They need more lounges and public areas, as there are far too many people on the ship for the amount of public space they have.

I enjoyed my cruise on the Breeze, but definitely felt more crowded in public areas. (And let's forget the Lido buffet, that area is a disaster. No wonder everyone waits for Guys or Blue Iguana)

Breeze has some really nice things to it, but it's crowd control is not one of them.

it's good hear different view points and experiences. :)

I really like the ship and didn't find it crowded. Plenty for people to do but I appreciate that it might not appeal to everyone.

I didn't get to go to the WJ on my last cruise on Oasis, but when I was on Allure last year they had a queuing system and the staff found you a table. This only happened when it was really busy but it worked. Looks like they didn't have a similar system in place on the Oasis.

I agree with the tip regarding reservations for shows. Make your reservations and get there in reasonable time to avoid the rush.

---glad I only reserved one night for this. For future reference, remember this. Comedians only have so much material. For the most part, they have one act per year or two before writing new material.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks, kabux for the vaiuable tips for the Oasis. We are booked with our whole family to celebrate my big birthday! I remember the task of reserving show times for six people last time and now have to do it for 12. I was able to reserve a table for 12 for early dinner and then the younger kids can go to the children's camp for some great activities. We loved the Oasis even though our favorite cruise line is Crystal. There was always some activity going on and our four Florida kids are looking forward to their return to the Oasis!!! My DH and I will probably not even get off the ship since we have been to the ports many times over the years and hate struggling to get past thousands of passengers from many ships docked at the ports. I know our kids and grandkids will have a blast!!!

Sheila

Good tips. Yeah, Oasis class isn't our favorite either. We've done Freedom class otherwise and much prefer it. Similar food quality, still plenty to do, and what felt like far less people. For us, the Oasis suffered in the fitness center, busy promenade, and disconnected feeling from the ocean as well. I can't wait to try the next smaller class with the Navigator in a month. Appears to be much more similar to Freedom class than Oasis class.

Dan

See, now I had the exact opposite experience. I found the Breeze had WAY too many people for it's public spaces. Particularly outside of the theatre (which generally had room, but then the shows are not nearly as good).

Really, there is only one regular lounge for doing things outside of comedies and shows, the Ocean Plaza. They have the nightclub, and the RedFrog pub, and the piano bar, but those are more specialty areas. The Atrium has a few dancing activities and a bar. But everything else happens in Ocean Plaza, which is just not big enough. Trivia was always jammed, with people sitting on the floors sometimes. Activities run into each other, so you get there and hope someone gets up if you want to do the following activity. They need more lounges and public areas, as there are far too many people on the ship for the amount of public space they have.

I enjoyed my cruise on the Breeze, but definitely felt more crowded in public areas. (And let's forget the Lido buffet, that area is a disaster. No wonder everyone waits for Guys or Blue Iguana)

Breeze has some really nice things to it, but it's crowd control is not one of them.

Hmmm during our Allure cruise we found the crowds were CRAZY during the parades, and after the shows, wow, it was a bottle neck with the people leaving and the new arrivals for the next show, wow that was a mess. The Windjammer is called jammer for that, never had a pleasant experience with the no seats available ever, we were always waiting for a table, such a small place and such a BIG ship makes me wonder why they did this and after 3 ships nothing was changed, just keep on jamming them in? It was a stretch to see the ocean, as Oasis ships have little viewing spaces that are not crowded to just sit and see the water, that I missed dearly. Yea we had fun but it was enough for me to not venture on such large ships again, she was a beauty but I want to know I am cruising on a ship and not a floating city block.......

Actually, the Oasis of the Seas Opal theater can seat 2,160 guests. 1,380 on the main level, 434 in the upper orchestra and 347 in the balcony.

Here are the fleets theater seating capacities (retrieved mostly from Royal Caribbean's Fact Sheets)

Quantum Class

Quantum & Anthem of the Seas - The Royal Theater - 1,299 seats

Oasis Class

Oasis of the Seas - Opal Theater - 2,160 seats

Allure of the Seas - Amber Theater - 2,160 seats

Harmony of the Seas - The Royal Theater - 2,160 seats

Freedom Class

Freedom of the Seas - Arcadia Theater - 1,348 seats

Liberty of the Seas - Platinum Theater - 1,348 seats

Independence of the Seas - Alhambra Theatre - 1,348 seats

Voyager Class

Navigator of the Seas - Metropolis Theater - 1,362 seats

Adventure of the Seas - Lyric Theater - 1,362 seats

Voyager of the Seas - The Theater - 1,347 seats

Explorer of the Seas - Palace Theater - 1,362 seats

Mariner of the Seas - Savoy Theater - 1,362 seats

Radiance Class

Serenade of the Seas - Tropical Theater - 915 seats

Brilliance of the Seas - Pacifica Theater - 900 seats

Radiance of the Seas - Aurora Theater - 868 seats

Jewel of the Seas - Coral Theater - 915 seats

Vision Class

Vision of the Seas - Masquerade Theater - 853 seats

Grandeur of the Seas - Palladium Theater - 870 seats

Rhapsody of the Seas - Broadway Melodies Theater - 870 seats

Splendour of the Seas - 42nd Street Theater - 802 seats

Enchantment of the Seas - Orpheum Theater - 870 seats

Legend of the Seas - That's Entertainment Theater - 800 seats

Sovereign Class

Majesty of the Seas - A Chrous Line Theater - 1,027 seats

Empress Class

Empress of the Seas - Royal Theatre - 740 seats

Dennis & Sue

Thanks for the great summary - This makes sense based on my experience but this data is a challenge to find.

Quantum class appears to have the worst "guest to seat" ratio. I expected this based on the ship design - not my favorite.

Great review and tips/comments. Sorry it didn't live up to your Carnival experience.

Haven't been yet, but my understanding is the Oasis class ships have the reservation system and more than one show option per night for the reason you say. There are just too many people to split the passengers in half where you go to either dinner and the main show OR main show and then dinner. For us, we have made all reservations, and even with having them, we still plan on going early to get good seats.

Good to know about the soda package. DH will most likely get one, but sounds frustrating with minimal fountain machines. Kind of silly and hard to make good use of it (at least where you get the tons of variety).

And good to hear that we can head to the port early. That's about the timing we were thinking.

Definitely want to try Solarium Bistro for breakfast and one at least once.

Edited by LuCruise

...The Windjammer is called jammer for that, never had a pleasant experience with the no seats available ever, we were always waiting for a table, such a small place and such a BIG ship makes me wonder why they did this and after 3 ships nothing was changed, just keep on jamming them in?...
Nobody forces you to go to the Windjammer, and there are lots of other no-cost places to eat. I wonder why this is so hard for some people to figure out.:confused: But be my guest to keep jamming yourself in there and waiting for a table - makes my dining elsewhere much less crowded.

Nobody forces you to go to the Windjammer, and there are lots of other no-cost places to eat. I wonder why this is so hard for some people to figure out.:confused: But be my guest to keep jamming yourself in there and waiting for a table - makes my dining elsewhere much less crowded.

Very easy and intelligent solution. Just don't go to the restaurant you want

to. Problem solved.

I've never cruised with Royal Caribbean, but have booked on Harmony of the seas in July from Barcelona. Does anyone know when I will be able to book shows online. I have been able to reserve some of the speciality restaurants online (although a lot of them are fully booked already and we don't sail til, 10th July.).

thanks

Di

And nobody said I was forced.................:rolleyes:

I just found it odd that such a big ship has such a small, tiny useless buffet for so many people, what was RCL thinking when they build that floating monster? And they did not try to improve when building the other sister ships, yea good job!

Thank you for the review OP.

I understand much of the points you have said but also want to add that it seems like much of your frustrations would have been avoided by following the tips you seem to have already known before you sailed. (making reservations Etc.)

If memory serves me right, there ARE more soda machines up on the upper decks. By wipeout cafe I believe.

We didn't experience the same frustrations with the crowds and would say that the ship is perfectly designed for the amount of people on it. Crowd control for the most part is amazing, and I felt much less crowded on this class than several others I have sailed on. The majority of reviews I have read seem to agree with that.

Sorry for not quoting but someone else was saying how they could not wait to sail on voyager class as it is very similar to Freedom class. This would be CORRECT! In fact, when they were first designing the first freedom class ship it was called large voyager or something along those lines. Sorry I probably totally am off on the name but you get the point. They are similar to each other in every way other than Freedom class is a tad bigger.