Taking food/drink off ship at port

mrsgthatsme

You can take off pre-packaged snacks you brought from home such as nuts, crackers, granola bars.

Don't even THINK about bringing any food prepared on the ship in a baggie. At many foreign ports you will prosecuted more sternly than for smuggling drugs. Same thing when you disembark at home: not even fruit or muffins from the breakfast buffet.

You may want to include the cost of snacks and drinks in your cruising budget... As it's very difficult, if not impossible to bring anything from the ship. As for the water, maybe if it's sealed from the manufacturer... then again, officials might think it's vodka... you're much better off buying these things onshore.

Considering that the ship often sells bottled water on the gangway at many ports there is no issue bringing those off. And when the question comes up of bringing refillable bottles off--or even the thermal cups that (used to) come with the soda plan--the answers have been affirmative. It is when you return to the ship that you will be asked to pour out any open containers; I'm partial to white rum rather than vodka but know not to bother trying it :D

Edited by fishywood

It's an absolute No-No to take off any food that is not packaged and sealed by the manufacturer.

Those cute security dogs have good noses. ;)

On my last cruise to Alaska...I took about 3 choc.chip cookies off the ship in Seattle. They were in my carry on. When I got on the airplane..they were gone. I guess they were confiscated . I really wanted my cookies too!

I always take something off the ship and never had a problem but I always make sure NOT to take produce, meat, cheese. I take a muffin or Croissants or cooked food that is not agriculture. There will be an announcement in your daily patter telling you what is not allowed to be taken off the ship. If asked when you are leaving if you have anything say yes if you have something and tell them what. If they don't want you to have it they take it away and that's that.

The other item you could take would be the little boxes of Cherrios if they have them from the buffet.

I always refill my water bottle on the ship and have never had an issue. Ship water is better then bottled water. I use a regular 16.9 oz bottle from of any commercial or supermarket brand that still has the label on like sparkletts or arrowhead or safeway.

Edited by cruzsnooze

Yeah, I'm sure half the people will have a fit, but I think my wife bring stuff from the ship everytime we get off on shore. She had to throw a piece of fruit away one time. It's more convenient than bringing snacks from home. YMMV.

I hope I'm around when you do that in a "Strict" Port and a little doggie sits down next to you.

Are you allowed to take drinks or food off the ship in port? I am wondering if I can pack some prepackaged food (pretzels, etc) from home or bring ziplock a for a cookie or other snack from on the ship for us to eat while on the beach. Thanks!!

Just read your Patter, it will usually tell you what ports not to take stuff off.

We take off bottled water/sealed and unsealed. We also take pre- package snacks for port days with us.

Never have we taken off any ship food.

Usually ports don't want meat products,dairy,fruit,cheeses, etc. taken off the ship.

I have never encountered a " food" police in any port asking or sniffing if we had food in our bags when we disembark in any given port,but I guess it can happen randomly.

Julie

Edited by arizonaperson

You do not have to take bottled water off the ship. I normally just fill up a reusable bottle (like you make take for jogging) put ice in it and fill it with water. I find buying water onboard the ship is a waste of money. Their water is as good as you will get in commercial bottles.

Island Princess 2008 Alaska, Island Princess 2009 (B2B) Alaska, Royal Princess (Old) 2010 Alaska, Golden Princess 2011 Alaska, Coral Princess 2012 Panama Canal, Star Princess 2012 Alaska, Island Princess 2013 Alaska, Crown Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Caribbean Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 Eastern Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 New England, Emerald Princess 2014 Western Caribbean, Emerald Princess 2015 Western Caribbean, Ruby Princess 2015 Alaska, Caribbean Princess 2015 Western Caribbean

I hope I'm around when you do that in a "Strict" Port and a little doggie sits down next to you.

Yeah, you missed it, it was dramatic. She threw the food she had away from her beach tote and we left. Thanks for the support though. Keep spreading the hate.