Taking food/drink off ship at port

mrsgthatsme

On a Diamond cruise a few years ago (when I had to do my own laundry) I helped an elderly couple trying to operate the machines. They pulled out a snap lock bag with washing powder in it they had brought from home. My mind was reeling, going through Canadian customs and then into and out of China with a plastic bag filled with white powder, but they had obviously had no problems. Don't think I will try it though.

On a Diamond cruise a few years ago (when I had to do my own laundry) I helped an elderly couple trying to operate the machines. They pulled out a snap lock bag with washing powder in it they had brought from home. My mind was reeling, going through Canadian customs and then into and out of China with a plastic bag filled with white powder, but they had obviously had no problems. Don't think I will try it though.

I used to do this, but when the Purex sheets came out, bought a package, and would just used them for cruises. Now I get the pacs for when we travel and also send those to my college student to use for her laundry.

I used to do this' date=' but when the Purex sheets came out, bought a package, and would just used them for cruises. Now I get the pacs for when we travel and also send those to my college student to use for her laundry.[/quote']

When the Purex sheets first came out, they were on sale at Walgreens for buy one get one free. Bought a lot of boxes. Love them for traveling. I do notice that in a big load, you do have to use two.

When the Purex sheets first came out, they were on sale at Walgreens for buy one get one free. Bought a lot of boxes. Love them for traveling. I do notice that in a big load, you do have to use two.

The ship washers are so small we cut them in half, lengthwise. The biggest issue with the sheets is that they would clog up the drain pipes. We put the sheet into a small sweater bag to stop this. Also use the Shout color catchers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We froze a clean, wet face cloth in our cabin fridge, packed that in a baggie as an ice pack, and ordered sandwiches and chips from room service late the night before the excursion. Sandwiches and mock ice pack went ashore with us in the insulated lunch bag. Bottled water and chips in the backpack too.

Great idea for kids, esp those with certain food allergy, during shore excursions,

If it was like the brand I use one sniff will tell them it's washing powder. I make up single wash quantities in mini ziplocks for travel, then I put them in at least four extra layers of ziplock bags and the odour still escapes! :eek: :D

You'd notice if you were cruising down under. Announcements every ten minutes or so once people started going ashore at the various ports, plus numerous large signs, and often those cute little beagles checking EVERY bag. You can't get past them. ;)

That explains it then! I've cruised Alaska, Mexico and Hawaii. I guess they don't care too much in those areas.

Still, good to know and I'll pay better attention!

That explains it then! I've cruised Alaska, Mexico and Hawaii. I guess they don't care too much in those areas.

They sure do care when you are in Cabo, Mexico...everyone was searched on the pier when we got off the Coral.

We've seen signs in all those ports.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We've been on three Hawaiian cruises and have had bags searched, even though we're coming from LA. They do care about their agriculture.

• 10 months later...

I have only been on 3 cruises so not a lot of experience. However, I saved every Patter from all three and this is what they said about fruit etc.

Dec 20, 2015 a ten day cruise out of SF to the Mexican Rivera: No restrictions at any port printed in the Patter. (just no alcohol, no illegal drugs and don't take packages from people you don't know advisory)

May 2016 a 7 day cruise out of Vancouver to Whittier (Voyage of the Glaciers): Every port had the usual about drugs and such AND explicitly forbade taking off fruits and other food items.

January 4, 2017 a 15 day Panama Canal cruise out of LA to Ft Lauderdale: No fruit, food restrictions in any port.... 2 in Mexico, 1 in Costa Rica, 1 in Nicaragua, 1 in Columbia, 1 in Aruba.......just the usual about drugs etc.

These are very recent cruises. The first was on the Grand the last 2 were on the Island.

That was my experience.

On my last cruise to Alaska...I took about 3 choc.chip cookies off the ship in Seattle. They were in my carry on. When I got on the airplane..they were gone. I guess they were confiscated . I really wanted my cookies too!

You hear about the TSA pilfering things from your checked bags all the time. I was headed back East to visit my son and packed some homemade lemon bars for him. Had it in my checked luggage in a completely filled Tupperware container. When I opened it the next day---six or seven were missing! The tacky people didn't even leave me a note they were good (lol). My SIL said maybe the next time I should put a note in there "Eat at your own risk." Naaaw, we decided, a bad idea.

I'm just grateful they didn't take the whole container because it is a very special one I've never seen for sale again.

At times we have had very early tours that would leave the ship before 8:00AM in the morning. We have not wished to load ourselves up with a big breakfast so early in the A.M., and at times we have taken a breakfast roll, piece of toast, or bagel of the ship. We usually pack this in a sealed plastic bag, and carry it in a backpack.

I have only been on 3 cruises so not a lot of experience. However, I saved every Patter from all three and this is what they said about fruit etc.

Dec 20, 2015 a ten day cruise out of SF to the Mexican Rivera: No restrictions at any port printed in the Patter. (just no alcohol, no illegal drugs and don't take packages from people you don't know advisory)

May 2016 a 7 day cruise out of Vancouver to Whittier (Voyage of the Glaciers): Every port had the usual about drugs and such AND explicitly forbade taking off fruits and other food items.

January 4, 2017 a 15 day Panama Canal cruise out of LA to Ft Lauderdale: No fruit, food restrictions in any port.... 2 in Mexico, 1 in Costa Rica, 1 in Nicaragua, 1 in Columbia, 1 in Aruba.......just the usual about drugs etc.

These are very recent cruises. The first was on the Grand the last 2 were on the Island.

That was my experience.

It goes to prove only one thing.....READ THE PATTER.